Star Wars, The Cooper Chronic...

By Goldengun2002

On a backwater world in the fringes of Republic space lives a young man. Living alone sense he was ten, his f... More

Chapter 1: Humble Beginnings
Chapter 2: Hell on Reach
Chapter 3: 717th
Chapter 4: Duel
Chapter 5: Welcome to the Republic
Chapter 6: Rally the men
Chapter 7: Training
Chapter 8: First battle
Chapter 9: Christophsis
Chapter 10: 'Negotiations'
Chapter 11: Padawans
Chapter 12: Rockjumpers
Chapter 13: Temple Raider
Chapter 14: We Meet Agian
Chapter 15: Recovery
Chapter 17: Flying Lessons
Chapter 18: Senatorial Rescue
Chapter 19: Reshie Moon
Chapter 20: Destress call
Chapter 21: Hiigaran Assault
Chapter 22: Senatorial Rescue

Chapter 16: Malevolence

602 21 10
By Goldengun2002

Narrator: The Republic Star fleet is under siege. With countless task forces disappearing, the threat of a CIS super weapon is one the Republic could not afford to let run through their ranks. Thus, having tracked down the vessel, Jedi General Plo Koon has been sent to eliminate this threat. But as the rotations pass, word has yet to return on his endeavors.

Aboard the Liberation two weeks after the events of Teth, Jerome and his battlegroup were currently escorting convoys in case the CIS's secret weapon moved to begin striking at Republic supply lines. Though not as eventful as his last month, the young man used quiet the best he could.

Sitting within his private quarters aboard the Liberation, the young Jedi stood before his desk, the contents of the quarters as sparing as to be expected, for what little trinkets survived the bombing sat atop a shelf, chief among them the photo from his younger years, now sitting within a metallic frame, watching Jerome work his magic upon the robotic bodyguard he called his companion. Orbiting the space around them, both hung several tools in perpetuity from which he pulled from time to time, the calm stillness breaking upon Niner shifting its head down to stare at his master.

Niner: You've improved at that trick; this is a new record.

The droid remarked. Jerome hummed in return, tightening up the bolts that held together the thigh plates of the droid's right leg. Remnants of ruined wire sat in contrast to the roll of fresh, pristine white wiring.

Fastening down the last bolt into place, Jerome reached up and let the screwdriver hang just over his shoulder before removing the welding goggles from over his eyes, letting them sit atop his messy hair.

Jerome: Well, you have time when there's only escort duty. Plus, it's only impressive in a controlled environment. Because once I lose my train of focus-

He was saying before a rapid set of loud bangs echoed through the room. Not a second later, the tools fell from their invisible perches, metallic clanks joining in a mock symphony. Groaning in annoyance while rubbing his shoulder, Jerome looked back towards the door.

Jerome: It all comes crashing down, enter!

He yelled before retrieving the tools, all to the soft mechanical chuckles of his droid, which lifted itself off the desk as the door opened. The heavy footsteps were evident enough of who they belonged to as Jerome tossed the assortment of objects next to their case.

Jerome: Well, a few minutes earlier, and you could have caught me in the middle of my work. Is there something you need, Titan?

Jerome asked, turning to face the towering man before him. The gentle giant sighed as he glanced past his CO and at the small mess scattered upon the workbench.

Titan: I do, but I'm sorry if I caused any issues.

Jerome: It's okay, not like every time I need to use my powers, I'll have the sanctity of complete silence. What is it you need?

He asked, turning his back to the captain and returning the tools to their slots within the large case as he spoke.

Titan: To relay orders, sir, you have been requested aboard the Resolute. There's a meeting with the Canceler and other Jedi generals.

He replied, Jerome nodding as he finished his task and locked the case up.

Jerome: I see, and why can't I use our CIC?

Titan: Captain Gallan is expecting a call from Republic command, and at current, we have an advanced scout squadron doing a sweep of the course that requires the other tower. I was wondering the same when we received the request.

Titan stated, setting back as his commander slotted his tool case into the shelving to his right.

Jerome: Well, I best not keep Skywalker waiting then. Was a transport readied upon the news?

Titan: Port side hanger, follow me.

Turning on his heel, the captain of the 717th's mechanized armor walked out of the small housing, followed swiftly by its owner and droid bodyguard. The three made their way again through the grey corridors, passing by several troopers and crew alike with small exchanges between them all with each encounter. Turning towards the hanger after traversing through the long spinal corridors, Titan looked down upon the young man.

Titan: So, considering I interrupted your training, how is it going?

Titan asked as Jerome shrugged, the man rubbing his shoulder lightly before he met the taller man's gaze.

Jerome: It's coming along, not as fast given the constant meetings with James, CQC with Barrage, the shooting range with Owl, then, of course, forced into the same room as Liz for meetings...times a bit scattered, you know?

Titan: I understand that, but things are starting to normalize now, don't you think?

Titan said, looking towards the young man, though he was not the one to respond first, as Niner cut in.

Niner: Indeed, Jerome's daily routine has remained the same for nearly the past four days without significant deviation.

The droid spoke from behind the two, getting a raised brow from the older teen as he glanced back at his droid.

Jerome: What do you mean? I haven't been-

Niner: 0900 hours, wake up. 0930, first meal consumption, 1000, meet with commander James for simulation runs in CIC, 1200, second meal consumption. Shall I go on?

Jerome: Negative, the points made.

He muttered with annoyance as the large blast doors opened onto the catwalk overlooking the small hanger, from which the young man looked down and saw the transport awaiting his arrival. Jerome's ears turned a dark hue of pink, feeling an ever-pressing urge to get aboard as Titan chuckled behind him.

Titan: James wouldn't mind letting you rest on the sims for a day or two. Now hurry before you're late, sir.

Jerome: Y-yeah, see you later, Titan.

He called as he descended the stairwell, metallic ringing permeating the space around the two individuals as they set themselves down onto the landing pad and then up the ramp of the awaiting transport. Once the duo settled into the transport bay, the front-facing ramp of the craft closed with the shuttle rumbling to life.

Pilot: Landing gear up; light is green. It should be a quick flight, sir!

Jerome: Alright, just nothing fancy out there, trooper!

Pilot: Copy that!

He yelled from up in the cockpit as the rumble settled upon pulling out of the Liberation's hanger and began its short journey towards the Resolute. All the while, Jerome glanced at his droid bodyguard, from which it turned its optics to stare right back.

Niner: Is there something you require of me, sir?

Jerome: No, just thinking.

He muttered with a small smile across his lips, Niner simply tilting its head slightly before turning back to blankly staring at the opposite wall, his master merely shaking his head softly before leaning back in his seat, marveling at the mere idea of what he was able to do with Curciuts help. Even after two months, it was something of miracle things had turned out the way they did, at least in the older teen's mind, as after the flight, the two made their way up to the command tower. The Jedi Padawan just in time to see Anakin and Ahsoka making their way into the space.

Anakin: Well, look who made it on time. How was the flight?

Jerome: Reasonable. Meeting about to begin?

Anakin: Indeed.

He said as the blast doors to the room closed with the dimming of the lights, the holo-projector flickering to life, displaying the figures of Chancellor Palpatine, Mace Windu, Master Yoda, and Obi-wan Kenobi mid-conversation, Anakin flipping a switch upon the console before the three had noticed the new arrivals.

Windu: This mystery weapon has struck in dozens of systems and disappeared without a trace.

Palpatine: We cannot afford to lose any more ships; ah, master Skywalker, have you found any success locating General Grevious's secret weapon?

He asked, the quadruplet of holo-projections turning to look at the young man as he typed in a few commands, displaying before everyone present the battlegroup under master Plo's command.

Anakin: Master Plo was here in the Abregado system when we lost his signal, and we have had no further contact with him. Along with that, the absence of any distress beacons indicates that, most likely, his fleet was destroyed. We are preparing a rescue mission after this meeting concludes.

Palpatine: Yes, but hasn't clone intelligence indicated that this weapon leaves no survivors?

Obi-wan: Yes, and the CIS are being unusually tidy. They don't want any witnesses.

He said, stroking his beard as Yoda gave a solemn nod.

Yoda: Tragic these losses are, but prevent more, we must.

Windu: Yes, and as such, we cannot allow this weapon to prey upon any more convoys. All of our battlegroups will be redeployed to defend them, including both of you, Skywalker and Cooper. We cannot afford any more of our warships on a rescue mission.

Windu stated, getting several nods from the other older call members. Upon hearing the order, Jerome gritted his teeth and glanced at Ahsoka, the young Padawan balling up her fists before stepping towards the projector.

Ahsoka: Wait! Just because there haven't been any survivors before doesn't mean there won't be any this time.

Jerome: Agreed, there's always a chance. We can't just leave them to die if they're out there.

The two stated, getting a raised brow from the politician. Palpatine looked between the two teens with mild intrigue.

Palpatine: Bold words for those so young.

Obi-wan: Indeed, maybe Anakin is rubbing off on them.

He said, glancing at his own Padawan, who in return just rolled his eyes, in contrast to Anakin, looked at his apprentice more harshly as he spoke.

Anakin: Excuse the Padawans. Despite their feelings, we will deploy as you instructed, master.

Anakin assured the four as they signed off, the room returning to its lit state, Niner glancing over at his master with a slight cock of its head as the young man sighed.

Niner: Well, that went splendidly.

Anakin: Mostly, but are you serious you two?!

Ashoka: What!?

Jerome: Yeah, I thought we lived in a republic. Are our opinions on the matter less valid than theirs?

He asked, getting a stern side-glance from the Jedi knight as he spoke.

Anakin: You don't fully grasp Jedi protocol, something both of you still need to understand.

Jerome: Wow, what brilliant words towards a glorified civilian turned space monk commander.

Jerome retorted, crossing his arms. The blast doors opened, and the Jedi's task force admiral stood before Anakin.

Yularen: Sir.

Anakin: Admiral, new orders just came in, and we're to spread out our ships for maximum coverage. Gallen should have received similar orders from command, and as such, I'll be scouting ahead to ensure the hyper lane is safe.

Anakin stated, getting surprised looks from Jerome and Ashoka, along with a very inquisitive cocked eyebrow from the admiral.

Yularen: Isn't that risky, with the mystery weapon out there?

Anakin: It might be, but I know you won't argue with my orders. Now come on, you three.

Grumbling at the request not being what she initially thought based on his tone, Ahsoka followed behind her master, with the duo from the 717th in pursuit. Moving through the Resolute and down into the port hanger bay, the four were met with a slightly refurbished spice runner sitting among the other Republic craft.

Jerome: So, this is the piece of junk you escaped on while I was getting my ass kicked?

Anakin: Yes, but she isn't a piece of junk.

Niner: No, but this vessel is a G9 Rigger-class light freighter based on vessel records.

It stated, getting a glance from the rest, only looking upon them with its faceplate and unblinking optics.

Niner: Is there something on my faceplate?

Jerome: No, I didn't expect you to have that in your databanks. Have you been logging into the Lib's records?

Niner: Indeed, it's better than going offline when you are sleeping.

Jerome: Okay.

He muttered, the young man shaking his head as they loaded themselves aboard, soon joined by R2, the astromech letting out a small whistle on entering the cockpit while Anakin was prepping the ship for launch. This left Ashoka to sit and sulk over her master's harsh words. Meanwhile, Jerome and Niner sat back, with the air growing awkward the longer the young girl sat like that, and only after several tense minutes did she turn her head towards Anakin.

Ahsoka: Master, I-

Anakin: You don't have to justify anything. R2, can you input the coordinates I requested?

He asked, cutting off his Padawan as he continued to prep the ship. Ashoka puffing her cheeks, looked out the viewport away from Anakin, making Jerome share a worried look with his droid. Despite the lengthy start-up, the Twilight took off a minute or so later, propelling itself into the inky blackness of the void. Flying between the massive Republic warships, a whistle from the astromech signaled Anakin to press a few buttons before pulling back on one of the many levers atop the dash, slinging the vessel out of real space and into the strange black and blue dimension of hyperspace.

Anakin: Alright, Ahsoka, mind running the sensors?

Ahsoka: Sure, whatever you say.

She muttered, getting up from her seat as Niner shifted, letting the Togruta settle down at the console. The droid, leaning against the back wall, left the copilot seat open for Jerome to shift up and slide into. The older teen leaned in over the dash as he spoke hushedly.

Jerome: So, what's the angle?

Anakin: What angle?

He said, flipping a few switches and glancing at the Terrain out of the corner of his eye, Jerome giving the knight an unamused stare.

Jerome: What we're doing? Obi-wan told me about your tendency to 'redeploy yourself' at times.

Anakin: And Obi-wan says a lot about me, you're point?

Jerome: Just-ah, forget it.

Leaning back into his seat, the young man just watched Anakin work, though barely catching the slight smirk the Jedi flashed him as they waited, the electric hum of the ship falling over the five for the duration of the trip before with a subtle beeping, Anakin dropped the ship out of hyperspace.

Before them, unlike the usual glow of a system's main-sequence star, was the eerie soft red glow of the Abregado system's red giant. Gazing upon it with wide eyes, Jerome's looked over at Anakin, the older man giving the Padawan a sly smirk before glancing back at Ashoka, the girl so absorbed in her work and attitude to notice their new location.

Ahsoka: R2, start scanning for...mysterious superweapons.

R2 let out a soft beep, moving to plug himself into the ship's systems before swiveling his head around as Anakin spoke.

Anakin: No R2, set scanners for life signs, highest sensitivity.

Ashoka: Why would we scan for life signs for a ship filled with battle droids?

She asked, still oblivious until she looked back at the commando droid leaning against the wall as it spoke.

Niner: If you weren't sulking, young one, you'd notice the lovely redshift in the cockpit.

Ahsoka: Redshift? Why would I care about what light the star is-wait a minute?

Ashoka said, her words falling to a whisper as she turned and stared out the cockpit window and directly at the massive red ball of plasma centered before the ship.

Ahsoka: The Abregado system, but I thought-

Anakin: That I would leave a chance to recover survivors fall between our fingers?

Ashoka: So, it's okay for you not to follow the council's orders but not me?

She said, slight aggravation and annoyance floating with her words. Ahsoka takes up a spot next to Jerome, both teenagers looking at the Jedi Knight. The man shook his head as he set the ship cruising towards the massive wreckage field orbiting the star.

Anakin: No, we should always follow the counsel's orders, but we can control how we execute those orders. That's what I'm trying to teach you both; wording your words carefully lets you get away with stuff like this.

Jerome: And now I understand why Master was so concerned about me taking after you.

Anakin: And are you?

He asked as Jerome chuckled while flicking a few switches in the copilot's seat, making floodlights pop on.

Jerome: Nope, you'd fit right in as a Terrian. Now let's get our boys.

He said as the ship rocketed off into the field of debris. The wrecks of the three republic battle carriers slowly spinning, hulls ripped asunder and surrounded by chucks of rigid, jagged metal. Having returned to her station, Ahsoka let out a defeated sigh after minutes of cruising through the scrap, the static of the scanners buzzing within the cockpit in various pitches as she adjusted the bandwidths.

Ahsoka: Well, scanners are practically useless here. Have you got anything on the emergency channel, R2?

R2: Whooow.

Jerome: So zip, well either they're all dead or trying to stay hidden if they're being hunted.

Ahsoka: Yeah, and I'm hoping for the latter.

Anakin: We all are Ahsoka, but if we don't find them-

Ahsoka: I know, Master.

She said, the Anakin looking upon his apprentice, her gaze downfallen with her hands settled within her lap. Looking on with growing sympathy, Anakin spoke in a more gentle tone the usual.

Anakin: Hey, Ahsoka? How do you know Master Plo anyway?

He asked, perking her attention as she glanced up at him.

Ahsoka: Well, he's a very old friend. In fact, he's the one who brought me to the temple where I belonged. And now, I hope with him lost, I could return the favor.

Jerome: Don't worry, I've got a feeling we'll find him, and I think Obi-wan found us out.

Jerome said, his cheerful expression changing as an incoming transmission beeped upon the dash, followed by a small projection of the aforementioned man who appeared before them.

Obi-wan: Anakin, where are you?

Anakin: Well, we took a little detour to the Abregado system.

Obi-wan: A rescue mission then? You had other orders.

Jerome: We did, and in all cases, the fleet is defending the convoys. We're just making sure the hyper lane is safe.

He said, sinking into the seat as the young man's master shifted his gaze, his expression unamused, before turning it back towards his oldest charge.

Obi-wan: Well, have you found anyone?

Anakin: Not yet; there's a good chance there are no survivors.

Obi-wan: Then you should return to the fleet, or you'll miss the rendezvous.

Anakin: I know. We'll turn back in a minute or two if we find nothing.

He said, satisfying Obi-wan as he cut the call, leaving those aboard the Twilight with a sense of melancholy. The pilot slowly began to pitch the craft back toward the hyperspace point before a sudden whistle sounded from R2.

Niner: Well, it appears we'll be late. The astromech found something.

Ashoka: Then boost the signal; it might be Master Plo.

Jerome: Or at least some of the crew.

Anakin: And that's good enough.

Anakin said, turning the ship back into the heart of the debris field. A small holographic image of the said field appeared over the dash, displaying a red blinking area where the signal could be originating from. Though, as the minutes passed and progress stalled on conceding down the signal, yet another transmission came in, but this time, Chancellor Palpatine graced them with his presence.

Palpatine: Master Skywalker, the council is upset about your mission. You may be risking others for a fool's errand; please, return to the fleet immediately. I would hate to lose more than one great Jedi today.

He said, his tone almost sultry, the Jedi knight letting out a reluctant sigh as he nodded.

Anakin: Of course, your excellency.

Palpatine: Good. I wish for your safe return.

The man said as he cut the comms; Anakin was already beginning to shift the freighter around before Jerome gripped the controls and arrested control of the craft from the Jedi's hands.

Anakin: Jerome, what do you think you're doing?

Jerome: Following the mission through. We aren't leaving until we find that signal.

Jerome replied, a feeling overcoming him, like a slight tug on his being. However, what was a tug for the young man, was felt ever more powerfully by his fellow Padawan as she suddenly leaped from her seat and grabbed onto the controls over Jerome's hands.

Ahsoka: I sense him!

Jerome: Wow!? Ahsoka what are you-Ah!?

He yelped as the girl trusted the ship through the debris field, forcing the young man to go along for the ride as she ducked and rolled the starship through the ripped-up metal hulls, floodlights illuminating the way, and just as Anakin was about to take control back from his seemingly crazed apprentice, a singular escape pod came into view with a trio of figures holding onto the outside.

Niner: Well, we found them. Shall I ready the winch?

Jerome: Y-yes, get them in.

He sighed in relief as Asoka removed her iron grip from the controls, allowing the older teen to regain control and timidly get them into position. Meanwhile, Anakin prepped everything else, the massive bay door upon the vessel's rear opening up. Given the green light by the astromech, Niner activated the wench, pulling the pod into the safety of the Twilight. Ahsoka, Anakin, and Jerome quickly moved towards the ship's rear, stepping into the cargo hold in time for the pod to come crashing down, sparks flying as it came to a halt, and those atop the craft slid off, barely able to move. Rushing down the stairs, Ashoka instantly went to the Jedi master's side. His breathing labored much like his three remaining clones, one of which Anakin freed by ripping the plasteel glass window from its clamps, letting the commander stumble out and into the waiting arms of Jerome, who helped him settle against the craft.

Wolffe: T-thank you.

Jerome: No problem, we'll get you all help.

He said, glancing back as the onboard medical droid descended. The Terrain Padawan stepped aside as it began to look over the clone, letting Jerome look over to Ahsoka as she hugged her old friend tightly.

Ashoka: I'm so glad you're okay!

Plo: And I am glad you came for us. Did you find anyone else?

Anakin: No, you were all that was left.

Anakin said, watching as the Jedi master let out a labored breath through his respirator. The man sitting there for several seconds before, with the help of Ahsoka, stumbled to his feet. The bay doors close behind them, sealing the craft from the vacuum of space with the projected field that once kept the atmosphere inside, dispersing into harmless static.

Jerome: Well, now that we got you and your men are being tended to, let's get out of here, huh?

Anakin: Agreed.

He said, gesturing to Jerome and the two other force sensitives to follow, ascending back into the cockpit. Upon entering, Master Plo nearly beheaded the waiting assassin droid as it stood beside R2. The fact that he wasn't was all due to Jerome quickly getting between the two with arms spread wide.

Jerome: Friendly! He's friendly!

Niner: Indeed, I would rather keep my head attached to my chassis, please.

The droid asked in a frank tone, leaving Plo to cock his head slightly, his gaze shifting between the reprogramed droid to its master.

Plo: So, the rumors are true.

Jerome: Yeah, but speaking of rumors, what the hell hit you all?

He asked, gesturing to the debris of the three Republic battle carriers. Plo Koon took in another labored breath before exhaling as he spoke.

Plo: The CIS possesses a massive vessel fitted with an ion cannon. It knocked out all our power before we could get into range. From there, it picked up apart as we were helpless to do anything.

Anakin: Well, it might not be over yet. We have a massive vessel approaching-

Plo: Shut down the power systems before they detect us, quickly!

He yelled, panic suddenly bubbling up in his words as the three quickly got to work, shutting down everything, halting the Twilight to float aimlessly. All the while, Jerome had gotten to the rear of his droid.

Jerome: Sorry about this, Niner; don't kill us when you wake up.

Niner: No promises.

The droid mused before, with the help of its master, shut itself down, which was soon followed by R2 as Jerome swiftly got behind the droid, and against the questioning beeps it emitted, turned it off too, the room growing silent as they stared out the window. Before them, like a shark stalking the cold dark waters of the sea, a massive CIS vessel moved above them, dwarfing the freighter a thousand times over.

Ashoka: That's one big cruiser-crusher.

Jerome: It's a bit of an understatement if you ask me. I've only heard of rumors of ships that large.

He muttered, feeling the urge to hold his breath less the massive warship somehow could hear his breathing. The four of them watched as the large thruster banks passed over them, and it looked as if they were in the clear, only for the ship to begin turning to port, back towards them.

Anakin: It's coming back!

Plo: Did we get all the systems?

Jerome: Of course, you all got the ship. I got R2, Niner, and.....oh fuck.

He said, and the medical droid walked into the cockpit on queue.

Medical Droid: Is there something the matter?

Ahsoka: We forget the medical droid.

Jerome: Well, what are we waiting for!?

He yelled as frantic hands quickly swarmed the dash, flicking all the systems back online. Alongside that, Jerome once again awoke the two droids.

Niner: Well, good morning, sir. Are we about to die?

Jerome: Not if we get moving! R2, charge the hyperdrive, and get us the hell out of here!

R2: Beep boop?

Jerome: Anywhere! And medical droid, keep focusing on the clones!

He yelled, allowing the droid to leave as he hurried back to the front of the cockpit, gripping the back of the copilot's seat as he stared upon one of the monitors. Anakin whipped the ship around, spinning it through clumps of debris, and rocketed towards the jump point. A massive source of energy began to close in on the craft seconds later, hair sticking up upon the back of Jerome's neck as he watched it grow closer, with each dive or turn costing them seconds of their lead, hues of purple shown upon the shattered hulls before them getting his knuckles turning white.

Jerome: You're cutting it close!

Anakin: I know, just a little more.

He said, rolling the craft around before moving clear of the debris field and instantly launching the ship into hyperspace. A collective weight was lifted from everyone as they sighed, Ashoka glancing over at Anakin with a small smile.

Ahsoka: Nice flying, Skyguy.

Niner: Indeed, I may accompany you all more often. The life and death situation is exhilarating through my processors.

It said in a rather chipper tone, the trio of force sensitives glancing at its master. Jerome shrugged, still unsure of his droid's sense of 'humor.' But after an hour of jumping from point to point, they returned to the fleet, where their report would be given, and the plans to destroy this new CIS superweapon would begin to blossom.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 231 33
𝐼 𝓃𝑒𝑒𝒹 𝒻𝓇𝑒𝑒𝒹𝑜𝓂 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓂𝓎 𝓂𝒾𝓃𝒹, 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑜𝓇𝒹𝑒𝓇, 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝓂𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉. Joseta Pro'oz, a pilot/medic wit...
238 19 6
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... War has stretched across the Galaxy! Peaceful systems are plunged into the heat of battle, with many be...
739 58 14
The 501st march to their own drum. Not long after the Battle on Kamino, CT-27-5555 and CT-1409, otherwise known as "Fives" and "Echo," are promoted t...
423K 8.1K 111
You are Obi-Wan Kenobi's padawan during the middle of the clone wars. After a battle that almost costs you your life, everything changes. Gender neut...