A Court of Stars and Memories

By LeeraIvy

Life in the Night Court is difficult for Lysander Marzena between juggling his official duties and personal a... More

Author's Note and Maps
1. Courtly Duties
2. Arrangements
3. Worthy of Incompletion
4. Memories of Childhood
5. Gatherings
6. Planning Precautions
7. Tense Agreements
8. A New Destination
9. Uneasy Settling
10. Unusual Mornings
11. Brotherly Love
12. Hidden Emotions
13. A Heart's Discomfort
14. Of Friends and Family
15. Attempting Introductions
16. Advice and Ideas
17. A Resigned Admission
19. Dreams and Daemati
20. Craving Security
21. Promise Anew
22. The Owl and the Dragon
23. Unexpected Encounters
24. Voicing Concerns
25. Marks of Ink and Blood
26. Uncertain Situations
27. Laughter and Lockets
28. Brothers and Friends
29. Outdated
30. Laughter Amongst Us
31. Days Gone By
32. Situations
33. Falling Drops of Rain
34. Reasons for Protection
35. Brutal Truth
36. Her Own Choices
37. An Evening Flight
38. Playing Games
39. Uncovering Questions
40. The End of an Act
41. Rising Desire
42. Admission and Confusion
43. Tales in Flight
44. All in Fun
45. Frustrated Concerns
46. Fun and Games
47. A Kiss of Understanding
48. Relentless Teasing
49. Bargains and Promises
50. To Show Affection
51. Dirt and Blood
52. A Choice Made
53. Stories of the Past
54. A Morning in Company
55. A Sleeping Dragon
56. Old Wounds Reopened
57. A Heavy Weight
58. A Heart's Confession
59. Wants and Needs
60. Claims of Love
61. The Truth Shared
62. Questions and Joy
63. Teasing Advice
64. Mornings Together
65. Family Demands
66. A Short Trip Home
67. Fatherly Greetings
68. Dark Promises
69. Tender Care
70. To Serve as Equals
71. Love's Demands
72. Apprehensive Plans
73. Understanding Behavior
74. The Lady of Spring
75. Well Meant Lectures
76. A Poisoned Lie
77. Arrival and Report
78. A Mate's Proposal
79. Safe When Together
80. A Plot in Motion
81. Hope of Closure
82. Bartering Forgiveness
83. Attempted Rescues
84. Blood Shed and Spilled
85. A Final End
86. All Settled and Done
87. Seeking Permission
88. A Life Shared Together
Thank You
Beyond the Books
Moon Blessed, I

18. A Familiar Smile

286 21 4
By LeeraIvy

For the first time since arriving in the Night Court, Mitsi woke feeling excited. She'd slept much better than usual and couldn't wait for the day to begin. True to his word, Lysander had come by the house yesterday to see if she and her siblings had reached a decision.

Much to Mitsi's delight, she didn't even have to push for her siblings to agree. They practically leaped at the chance to do something productive and beneficial for their shop back home. Lysander had promised to arrange for them to go to Emerie's that same day, while Mitsi had to wait a little longer to visit the orphanage.

She didn't mind though. Mina was going to come with her today while Micah returned to Windhaven once more. Mitsi would be glad for her sister's company. This was one of the few things they'd always enjoyed doing together, and she hoped it would help Mina settle in a little more.

Mitsi hovered before her wardrobe, tapping a finger against her cheek as she pondered what to wear. The morning looked warm through the windows of her bedroom and a quick trip onto the balcony had already proven her right. She wouldn't want to wear anything too thick or furry today.

Mitsi selected a soft blue dress and slipped it over her undergarments, then quickly laced up the side. She peered at herself in the mirror hanging from the inner left-hand door of the wardrobe. The dress was an older one, but it still fit like a glove and had always been one of her favorites.

The skirt was wide and flouncy, and hung down to her shins, giving her plenty of room to move. The square neckline and quarter-length sleeves were hemmed in delicate white lace, the only embellishment on the entire dress. Mitsi hummed to herself as she braided her hair and coiled it into a bun at the nape of her neck.

A few loose curls framed her face but she didn't bother tucking them aside. She scooped her locket off the table beside the bed and clasped it around her neck. Mitsi straightened her bedcovers before slipping on her shoes and hurrying out of the room.

Mina greeted her beside the stairs. "You look happy," she remarked, glancing Mitsi over.

"I am happy. I'm excited." They started down the stairs together. "Where's Micah?"

"Corbin already took him to Windhaven."

"Were you awake?"

Mina nodded, then rolled her eyes with a scoff. "Corbin sent Micah into my room to wake me, claiming Lysander would be coming soon. I think the prick just wanted to annoy me."

"It clearly worked," Mitsi giggled. "Did you speak to him before they left?"

"Of course not, though he stood in my doorway for nearly ten minutes before he got the hint. He's stubborn, I'll give him that."

Mitsi knit her brows. "Why would he stand in your doorway for ten minutes?"

"He said good morning, then told me he wasn't leaving until I did the same, or at least told him my name." Mina's lips curled into a haughty smirk. "I just looked the other way."

Mitsi sighed, shaking her head. "He's just trying to be friendly. Would it kill you to speak to him?"

"No, but I still don't intend to."

Mitsi said nothing more as they reached the first floor and spotted Azriel and Seren hovering in the entryway. Seren was dressed in a pair of Illyrian leathers which pointedly complimented Azriel's.

"There you are," Seren called. "I was about to come and make sure you were awake. Lysander will be here soon and we're heading to Ridgeback for the day." She gestured to herself and Azriel, then, noticing their confused expressions, she clarified, "It's another Illyrian warcamp near our eastern coast."

"How many warcamps are there?" Mitsi asked curiously.

"Many," Azriel replied, though the answer wasn't as specific as she'd hoped. "The mountains and steppes are full of them." Mitsi nodded and offered a small wave while Azriel and Seren left the house.

The mountains and steppes are huge, she thought, recalling the landmarks on maps she used to pour over with Cyrus, and what she'd seen herself while in Windhaven. And Corbin and Lysander have to manage all of them for the Peregryn and Illyrian Exchange? How do they keep them all straight?

She didn't have time to puzzle out an answer. Mina grabbed her hand and pulled her out the door. Lysander landed just beyond the gates a moment later. They joined him and set off walking down the street.

"Eira and Orion say hello," Lysander said, catching Mitsi's eye. "Eira was disappointed she couldn't skip out on her group training session today."

Mitsi smiled. "I'll have to make it up to her some other time."

"I'm not telling her you said that." Mitsi giggled to herself and Lysander smiled.

◦༻❅༺◦

They reached the orphanage shortly. Lysander didn't even have to introduce them. The same elderly female he'd spoken to the day before was already waiting for them. As soon as they arrived, she ushered them into a large playroom where several children lingered.

Some were drawing and painting at tables. Others lounged on chairs, contentedly reading books. Most of the younger ones sat on the floor playing with different toys. They all perked up as the Mistress called for their attention.

"This is Mina and Mitsi," she said, waving a hand to the two females. "They'll be spending some time with us today."

The Mistress turned to them. "I was told you have a talent with sewing, Mina. Our older girls are doing some sewing lessons today. I thought you might like to help them out, and Mitsi can stay here with the younger children."

"As you wish," Mina replied. Lysander saw Mitsi bite her lip, a nervous glimmer lighting her eyes, but she didn't protest when the Mistress led Mina away.

Instead, she turned to the children and squared her shoulders. "Now then, what are your names?" Mitsi asked, crouching to her knees.

Lysander backed towards a wall and tucked his wings in tight to avoid the children running into them as they made a dash for Mitsi. Apparently, each child was all too eager to tell her their name and admire her hair. Several children were already asking to touch it.

Mitsi just smiled and unwound her bun, allowing the children to gently stroke her braid. Once their curiosity was sated, the children grabbed Mitsi's hands and pulled her about the room, taking turns explaining what they liked to do.

Mother above, imagine if the novices were like this, Lysander thought. Corbin and I would never be able to keep up with them.

He could hardly keep up with simply watching the children, and he had no idea how Mitsi was managing to do so. But the female couldn't be happier. He'd never seen her smile quite so brightly before, and despite her hesitation from earlier, she seemed perfectly at ease now.

Soon enough, the children had coaxed Mitsi to play a game with them. They were all seated in a large circle while one child wandered around. As soon as the child tapped someone's head, the selected person sprang to their feet and they both ran in opposite directions around the circle.

The first one to claim the empty space was safe, while the other person took their turn being It. Lysander watched them play a few rounds and laughed to himself when the children selected Mitsi every time.

She always let them get back to her vacated spot first, and he could see the rapid rise and fall of her shoulders as she drew quick breaths. Her gaze met his shortly and she gestured for him to join. Lysander stiffened and shook his head. Mitsi hesitated, then crossed the room.

Her slender hand lightly gripped his arm. "Come on. I need a chance to breathe every once in a while," she chuckled under her breath. "And I think you're scaring the children by just standing there."

Lysander conceded with a nod and let her plop him down in the circle. The children on either side of him gawked at his wings with wide eyes before shuffling aside to make a little extra room for him. Mitsi set off walking around the circle.

She made two complete passes, then tagged Lysander on the head and took off running. He leaped to his feet with a grin, having already guessed that she would choose him. The children cackled with glee as they raced around the circle.

Mitsi barely beat him back to the space, leaving Lysander as the It. He tagged one of the children and the game went on. Gradually, the children began tagging him as well as Mitsi, and Lysander found himself enjoying the game. The children's delighted laughter and attempts to slow him down made it all the more fun.

Lysander couldn't help but think how amusing it would be to play this game with the Peregryns and Illyrians. Devlon would never allow it and most of the novices would think themselves above it, of course, but the mental images it produced in Lysander's head were far too humorous to dismiss.

At last, the Mistress returned and announced that there was only time for one more round before the children would be due to attend their afternoon lessons. Lysander found himself selected as It once more and began making his final turn about the circle.

He already knew who he was going to pick. It seemed she knew as well. Mitsi's frosty blue gaze followed him around the circle. She was already braced to run the minute he tapped her head. Mitsi bolted to her feet and ran around the circle, passing him in the middle.

Lysander laughed when she swatted his arm, as if that would slow him down. He skidded to his knees in Mitsi's vacated spot seconds before she would've reached it. Those seconds resulted in Mitsi tripping over him and toppling partially into his lap. The children roared with laughter.

Mitsi pushed herself upright and her pale cheeks flushed. "Sorry," she murmured, hastily standing.

"It's all right." Lysander stood too. "We should get going. I promised Corbin I'd help him in Windhaven this afternoon."

Instantly, the children latched onto Mitsi's arms, raising protests and begging her to stay. She managed to assuage them with a promise to return as soon as she could. Lysander watched as she drew each child into a quick hug.

There was still a faint blush in her cheeks, but what caught his attention was her smile. She'd been smiling all morning, and yet this smile was different from the others. This smile was larger. Bighter. Genuine. And...somehow familiar. Lysander drew a sharp breath and turned away, taking that thought and burying it deep within himself.

He said nothing when Mitsi joined him. They met with Mina in the entrance of the orphanage and made an arrangement for Mitsi to return in two days. She was left at his parents' house before he carried Mina to Windhaven, then attended to his own duties.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.3K 3.3K 50
For many years, Evren Bastile has been a notorious Human assassin, known for killing High Fae. She has been honing her skills for one High Fae in par...
21.4K 370 35
COMPLETED Post ACOSF fanfiction. Few characters and the universe in which the story takes place belong to Sarah J Mass while some are original. The...
18.1K 495 25
A Cassian and Azriel pairing. There is unrest in the Illyrian camps, and a troubling silence from the Hewn City. Azriel hasn't been able to get his s...
365K 11.3K 63
Daemati are feared and coveted throughout Prythian. Seren Marzena is one of the few among their ranks. When her power is revealed to Beron Vanserra...