Strange Yarns

By JoshSaltzman

WATTY 2016 WINNER of the HQ Love Award! Strange Yarns is a ball of tangled tales. Twisted, knotted, and inter... More

A Curious Boy
The Root of Evil
The Doll and The Pig Nosed Girl
Five Course Meal
Hilltop High's Legendary Performance
The Baby Blue Canoe
Kaleala
The Witch of The Bend
The Corn Field
The Mayor of the Roses
Celery
Clown Killer
Horror on Four Legs
The Window
The Other Floxes
Down to the River to Drink
Hunting Party
NOT THE AMISH! Part I
NOT THE AMISH! PART II
No Stone Unturned
Hilltop's Chamber of Commerce's Visitors Brochure Proposal
THE END: DELETED SCENES
Crickets & Twig - Deleted Yarn
Letter of Resignation - Deleted Yarn
Stones on the Trailhead - Deleted Yarn
The People in the Puddles - Deleted Yarn
New Cover
NEW BOOK - KILLER PARTY

Stay Away From The Gray Astro Van

416 24 5
By JoshSaltzman

Officer Shearer pinned her police cap in her armpit and told Mrs. Cullen's 7th-grade class that, "Due to the recent events, Halloween will be canceled tonight."

Mitchell knew exactly what recent events meant. It meant the stalker trying to lure children into the back of his gray Astro Van. It was all anyone at Henderson Middle School could talk about for the past two weeks.

Everyone was a rabbit with fear speckled eyes. The fox could be anywhere. Parents got special permission to leave work early to usher their children directly home. Except for Mitchell. His Dad took off eight months back and his mom's shift at Suds n' Buds started at three. So, when the bell rang at 3:30, he had to walk home alone. Only his footsteps on the dead leaves broke the predatory silence of the streets.

On those endless walks, his imagination brewed vile concoctions.

In one he'd be dragged into that hulking gray beast, his fingernails scraping back as he'd cling to the asphalt in vain. Then what awaited him in the bowels of that Astro Van? Sawed in half? Skewered? Slowly dissolved in acid with a dropper?

Mitchell wasn't the only one trying to figure out what the maniac wanted. It was the only conversation at recess. Whispers hung over huddles. A week ago Mitchell overheard Sally Strickland suggest that the stalker was scooping out children's bellies with an ice cream scoop and serving it to a group of billionaires with sprinkles and chocolate syrup. Then Marcus Lee offered that the The Van-Man was going to remove your eyes, ears, and tongue, but he'd keep you fed, so you'd spend the rest of your long life in nothingness as he randomly stuck you with long pins.

As October carved itself towards Halloween the panic began to froth over. But a part of Mitchell had to confess that this panic was welcome news. The other kids were obsessing over the Gray Astro Van which meant they had stopped harassing him. No longer were they waiting past school property to pelt him with rocks or sticks slathered in dog poo. These days everyone was too afraid of being kidnapped to bully Mitchell.

Officer Shearer cleared her throat and said, "As I'm sure you're all aware, there's been another attack." Out of the corner of his eye, Mitchell caught Dana Gorman pulling her blue shirt sleeve over the purple-brown-yellow-and-green splotchy bruise on her arm.

Thursday after volleyball practice Dana had escaped abduction. Thursday by dinner the news had trickled into the ear of every kid in town. But seeing her ugly bruise that looked like a hand confirmed the tale.

He felt bad for Dana even though she was part of Mitchell's inner circle of tormentors. She'd hiss mean lies meant to embarrass him, which always elicited titters. Defending himself only made it worse. He couldn't understand how Dana became so mean. She used to be his friend. Mitchell even thought they might be each other's crush. They had slow danced in the gymnasium during the last dance before summer vacation. But now Dana hated him. Mitchell was keenly aware that every single kid in his class did.

"It never hurts to review what you need to do if you see any suspicious vehicles or persons," said Officer Shearer keeping one thumb tucked into her belt, "And to help me, I would like to invite one of your classmates up to the front. Darren?"

Three rows down, and two rows over from Mitchell, Darren Birch popped up from his desk and took his place beside the policewoman. He began in his very rehearsed style, "You scream. Scream your guts out. And you run. Bang on a neighbor's door. Make as much noise as possible. It's the only thing that saved my life." Darren paused with a very serious face that conveyed that he still relives the trauma.

The officer asked if he needed a moment. Darren motioned that he'd brave through it and continued to recount his close call

Mrs. Cullen nodded in approval and her students craned their heads in a sort of reverence. Darren was a survivor. A hero. He was the first to be attacked. And since then Dana Gorman and her twin brother Roger had nearly been abducted. Countless other kids had reported sightings and close calls as well: The gray Astro Van followed me home. The gray Astro Van was around the corner. I looked out my window at night and under the lamp light at the edge of my street was the gray Astro Van.

The class listened to Darren carefully, following every word. Mitchell couldn't help but think of how he and Darren's fortunes had reversed. At the start of the year, Darren was just the new kid, while Mitchell picked the softball teams. He was invited to every birthday party. His teachers said he was a natural leader.

But it began to change a few weeks into September. He noticed Dana would giggle with her twin, Roger, and although he couldn't say why, he knew it was at his expense. He'd invite Roger over for a sleepover, and Roger would say he's not allowed to anymore. It began to spread to his other friends. No one would say why, but they just stopped talking to him. Then the quiet snickering spread. Then the flat-out taunts. Soon he was an outcast. The butt of jokes. If only he knew why. What had he done to deserve this sudden and drastic change?

Meanwhile, Darren had gone from new kid, to one of the gang, to class leader. He had everything Mitchell had. Including his best friends, Dana and Roger. Although, unlike the twins, Darren had never participated in any of that cruelty. He didn't offer a friendly hand either. Too much to lose Mitchell supposed.

Darren had taken his seat and Officer Shearer opened the floor up to questions. But no one had any.

The sun shot into the classroom as it grew low in sky. The bell rang signaling the end of the day. Officer Shearer reminded them that, "Trick-or-Treating is strictly forbidden tonight. There will be serious consequences, but none more serious than being taken by whoever is driving that gray Astro Van. Curfew effectively immediately."

A collective shiver ran through Ms. Cullen's class as they trembled to get their coats and hats to head home.

+

Outside the school, parents escorted their precious children into their cars like secret service agents. The cars pulled out and the parking lot emptied. A cold breeze bit some maples and the branches shivered. Mitchell stood alone. Ready to run home as fast as his legs could take him.

Just before he pressed off he heard a voice call his name. It was Roger. He was just inside the double doors. His chin kissing his sternum, a look of remorse? Mitchell noted a softness in Roger he hadn't sensed in forever. It reminded him of the old Roger that he went trick-or-treating with every year.

Mitchell gave a confused 'hey' unsure how to proceed further.

"Pretty freaky stuff about the van, right?" Roger said.

"Yeah. I'm glad you got away though." Mitchell said, feeling a bud of hope that Roger was reaching out.

Roger took a breath and let out his entire confession in his exhale, "I'm sorry things have been weird, but I talked to Dana about it, and since Halloween is canceled we're throwing a class party in our basement. You can come if you want."

Mitchell's heart double pumped. For the first time it felt like the end of this social nightmare seemed possible, like a tide coming out as fast as it had come in.

"Yeah, I can do that. Should I bring a costume?"

"Yeah. Well, my mom's picking me up at the North entrance, so, see you tonight. Seven o'clock."

And just like that Roger had disappeared back into the school.

Mitchell flew home, so excited to have found a way back into his old life that he had totally forgotten about the Astro Van. He plucked the house key from underneath a rock in the garden and let himself in.

He raced to his basement where they kept the Halloween stuff. He grabbed his costume from last year. The Grim Reaper. A cheap threadbare black cowl, plastic sheath, and a skeleton mask. He hadn't bothered getting a new one this year, figuring he couldn't bare the humiliation of trick-or-treating alone.

The thought made him pause. Alone. His mom would still be at work for hours and he'd have to break curfew to get to Roger and Dana's house.

In the summer, Mitchell could ride his bike and be at Roger and Dana's in six minutes. But his bike was stolen two weeks back and his mom said they couldn't afford a new one until Christmas. On foot, it would take twenty minutes. Unless he cut through the ravine. It didn't seem like the worst idea. The Astro Van couldn't drive on the narrow dirt path or drive over the creek. The path would spit him out on Crescent Road and Dana and Roger's street connect just a couple hundred meters away. But it was dark in the ravine. Even without the specter of kidnapping ghoul, he never liked to venture into the ravine, even in broad daylight. It was a sinister place and the trees grew like ugly fingers on the steep embankments.

Mitchell hung on the precipice of his front door. He needed to get to the end of his street to get to the ravine path's entrance. He figured this would be the most dangerous part of his journey. He peeked out his front door. The road was a dead asphalt tongue. Not a soul out on Halloween. All the Jack-O-Lanterns were out.

He shot off and sprinted full force. He could sense that any second the Van would roll up from behind him and scoop him away. He was nearly at the ravine when he heard an engine start. Adrenalin dumped into his veins like torrents.

He leaped over the steel barrier at the end of his street and flew down the slope towards the creek. Mitchell lost control, barreling down, unable to stop if he wanted to. His foot caught a root and he flew into the dirt, inches from the murky creek.

After a quick check to asses for damages, he came up with only a bruised elbow, some scratches, and a bent plastic scythe. Darkness blanketed the ravine. His mind told him there was someone down there with him. He could feel it. Someone was waiting just out of sight. He could feel every hair on his arm. He pressed forward, risking a thousand torturous futures, unwilling to miss the opportunity to have his friends back.

After hopping the stones across the ravine he felt his way slowly through the narrow path. Every leaf that grazed him could have been a hand. Everything inside him hollowed out, making room only for fear.

He pushed on until he could see the glow of the street lamp breaking through the trees. He hopped out onto Almond Street and was blasted in headlights.

Although blinded, Mitchell could make out that the high beams came from a van. The lights died. The door opened, but before whoever it was could get out, Mitchel was already running with every twisted deed ever imagined strobing through his brain. He turned onto Roger and Dana's street. He could see their house. The only one with a lit Jack-O-Lantern. He ran to the front door, but before he could bang for his life, he noticed the note taped by the doorbell: "Come around back."

Mitchell didn't take a moment to see how close the Van-Man was, he just bolted around to the backyard.

The backyard was fully decorated for Halloween. With skeletons, Jack-O-Lanterns, and rectangular open graves topped with styrofoam tombstones.

Before he could slam the back door, it opened. Dana was dressed as a princess, "Happy Halloween, Mitchy." Mitchell pushed passed her and told her to close the door.

A nervous expression crossed her face and she shut the door and locked it. Mitchell, still gasping for air, coughed out what had happened. He sat down on a fold-out chair near a punchbowl. As he caught his breath he took the party in.

He was early because only Darren had arrived. Roger poured Mitchell a plastic cup of punch and told him he was safe now.

Darren, concerned for Mitchell, said, "You know, maybe we should do something to start the party." He glanced around the room and motioned towards a plastic bin filled with water and apples, "bobbing for apples?"

Mitchell thought it was strange to bob for apples and drink punch when the Van-Man could be right outside the house. Mitchell said, "Maybe we should call the police and tell them..."

But before he finished he clocked Darren, Dana, and Roger concealing a smile.

Darren leaped onto his knees and told Roger to time him. He plunged his head into the water and came up with an apple in under thirty seconds, "Okay, your turn, Mitch."

Mitchell felt very strange about all this, but he told himself not to ruin this chance to be back in the fold. He got down on his knees and plunged his head into the water. It was ice cold. He tried to chomp on apples but they kept slipping away. It was all the harder to focus because his mind kept screaming questions: Why is there no one else at the party? Why we're there decorations in the backyard? Was he actually just being chased? He never looked back. It all came to one thought. The only people who had reported a direct attack from the Astro Van were in this room with him.

He finally caught an apple between his teeth and came up for air.

"Hold him down," Darren said.

And Roger and Dana obeyed. Darren watched as they stepped on Mitchell's calves and pressed his face into the water.

Later, after Mitchell's screams were drowned out and his skin became waxy and cold, Darren told the twins to throw Mitchell's body into the open grave dug in the backyard. They shoveled dirt onto his body as he suddenly coughed up water and groped for air.

By November second every soul in town knew The Man in the Astro Van had finally taken a child.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.7K 1.7K 69
Revenge is a bittersweet thing. It gives you immense satisfaction, but at the same time, it destroys you from the inside. Joan Hale beca...
130K 4.3K 24
Although these are called fairy tales, don't let that fool you ... not all of them have happy endings. In fact, some are filled with what nightmares...
20.1K 298 18
Betty "Riz" Rizzo has a younger sister who's her best friend. This is the story of how Caliatra Jolene Victoria Rizzo or Little Riz met her older sis...
18.9K 1K 20
After being attacked, professional call girl Raya and her sister Lana become a little less human. Though one sees this as a gift and an enhancement t...