The Workshop: A "The Santa Cl...

By msshalom

It was in the back of my mind, what Judy had said about Bernard's "fondness", but I didn't want to bring it u... More

My Life is One Big Cliche, and I Know It
Everybody's Waiting For The Man With The Bag...Oh, Wait... He's Dead
Oh, The Weather Outside is Frightful. I'm frightful. This Place is Frightful.
The Snow Globe Clause
Let's Give a Cheer For The Elves Living in Lakeside, Illinois
Bernard, I Wanna Buy These Shoes, Not for My Mama, Please.
Santa Baby
Here's Neal's Number, So Call Him Maybe
Snap, Crackle, Pop
I'll Make an Elf (That Looks Like a Man) Out of You
Bernard the Head Elf Experiences Santa's Village in Dundee Illinois
Elf Hijinks at the Water Park
It's Lovely Weather to Talk About My Sad Backstory With You
And I Would Teleport 1,000 Miles, and I Would Teleport 1,000 More
Girl Talk With Judy
A Rumor Gets Started
The Little Green House at The End of Elf Village
A Different Point of View
Magic Doesn't Lie
I'll Have a Blue (Pink) Christmas Without (With) You
A Very Heartless Confession
Halloween
Kidnapping Charlie from the Miller Family's Thanksgiving Dinner
A Very Heart-Filled Confession
Christmas in The Jailhouse
What Would Santa Do
In Which Bernard Tells Santa All The Tea
The Council of Legendary Figures
A Glimpse of Your World
Kidnapping My Grandparents, Oh Boy
Birthday Dinner Bash
Sugar, Spice, and Everything Nice
Wuddle Wumps
The Board of Gnomes
Forced Family Time is Still Family Time After-All
The Snow Globe Clause (Reprise)
Where The Gnome King's Fiancée Has a Love Affair With an Elf
In Which Bernard Crashes My Wedding
Epilogue

Mistletoe

951 25 2
By msshalom

We returned to the Pole to cheering from all the elves. It was both less and more chaotic than last year in many ways. First of all, last year everyone was minding their own business, seemingly to be in a rush. This year, crowds of elves were around us, ready to ask us about our flight, why we were late, and how the jailbreak was.

As soon as I got out of the sleigh, Judy came over and hit my arm. "Angie! You didn't wear your microphone! Do you know how scary that was when you both weren't responding?" She hugged me extraordinarily tight before backing up and holding up a tiny earpiece.

"Nobody told me about a microphone??" I looked at her confused.

"Bernard was supposed to give it to you before you left! You went into his office, so I could have sworn that... wait. You know I saw you two walk out together, did you get distracted?'

"Judy! I'm safe! I'm fine! It worked out. And yes we got distracted, but I'll tell you about it later-"

"Yes, you better make it up to me over some cocoa at least." She raised her eyebrows with a small smile.

"Angie-" Bernard sped walked over as soon as he saw me. "Why didn't you wear your microphone? It took E.L.F.S thirty minutes to track your location." He asked me, just like Judy just had.

"Because you left it on your desk, you cotton headed ninny-" Judy started saying teasingly, but I cut her off.

"Woah woah, no need for that type of language." I laughed.

"Oh-" Bernard whistled.

"It doesn't matter- Oh! You guys, I think there was something you should check out on the side patio. You know the one that overlooks the ice garden? It looks like the temperature is dropping and they're starting to melt!" Judy quickly changed the subject.

"Isn't it something that can wait until tomorrow?" Bernard looked very tired, and I was too. Even with magical time skipping through portals, it took a lot of energy to deliver that many gifts.

"Nope, no. It's important, it looked pretty bad," Judy crossed her arms, a concerned look crossing her face.

"Why didn't you let me know earlier?" Bernard sighed, stretching his arms out with a big yawn.

"Well we were on communications, and organizing the E.L.F.S takes time! It wasn't as high of a priority!"

"Bernard, we can at least look quickly. It might help us figure out what to do tomorrow?" I yawned in agreement with his yawn.

Judy nodded, "Yes, now come on!" She lead the two of us down the hallway and past the workshop to the other side of the large building. "And act alive please, you two may have dark circles under your eyes, but at least act like you don't!"

"Judy please," I gave her a look. I was used to rushing here to there with Bernard when I was still in training, but it seemed that this type of thing didn't stop even on Christmas.

"Alright, go check it out," She paused at the towering stained glass doors, ushering us out to the patio. "Go on, it's right out there."

The two of us wandered out there. I squinted my eyes over the edge of the fenced stone deck, but I couldn't see anything wrong with the ice sculptures. "Judy, who told you that-" I turned around and she was gone, and the door was closed.

"I don't know what she was talking about," He shook his head, walking to the balcony and leaning over the edge to look further. "I think she was trying to mess with me."

"Or, mess with us." I said, it finally clicking.

"Ah-" Bernard's face was pretty blank, he yawned again slowly, then it seemed to click with him too, and he started laughing.

I shook my head slowly, laughing along with him. It was that type of laughter you can only achieve when you are that completely exhausted.

The two of us stood there leaning against the fence, looking out at the intricate sculptures and trees. It was dark so I could only make sense of the shapes in the dark, but as if on cue, twinkling lights lit up the whole area, illuminating everything. Gentle golden rays were cast up at our faces and surroundings, showing us in this very lovely evening... or morning, how beautiful our view was. Light feathery snowflakes began falling from the sky, dusting his shoulders and hair with a soft layer of powder.

"You've got-" He reached a hand up and brushed off my shoulder and hair, pausing with a wavy strand in his hand. From this close, I could smell his familiar scent of peppermint and freshly baked cookies, and it made me only want to stand closer.

From... somewhere, although I'm not sure where, music began playing. It was soft, and happy, the type of music that makes you want to take someone in your arms and hold them forever.

"You have stars in your eyes," He said softly, not moving at all, his eyes fixed softly on mine.

If he saw what I did, those would be the exact words to describe what I saw. The dancing lights reflecting in his eyes looked very much like shooting stars twinkling in a dark sky. The snow was beginning to collect on his eyelashes, but despite this, it didn't feel very cold.

"Angie," His hand brushed my cheek, and he paused again, his eyes flickering up and down my face.

I just stared back, almost waiting for him to lean down to me, but I realized he was hesitating... he was nervous.

Without a second thought, and with a random boost of confidence, I stood on my toes and leaned forward, kissing him lightly on the lips.

It was sweet and awkward as all first kisses are.

He froze, not moving, but I could see his eyes widen with shock the second I moved away. His mouth dropped open and he looked at me with complete surprise which was quickly replaced by a big grin, and nervous laughter, so much nervous laughter. Bernard's face turned bright red all the way up to his ears, as he covered his mouth with his hands to hide his face as he continued to giggle.

I started laughing too, my heart was beating so fast, and I knew my face also had to be bright pink. It was the most adorable thing, seeing this stoic elf I've grown to admire all nervous and giggly. In the back of my mind, all I could think was, "I did that. I made him like this."

The sound of cheering voices stared from above us, and the two of us looked up to find almost every elf in the workshop and their great-great-grandma on the balcony above us peering down, witnessing that whole moment. Judy was in the middle, dangling a piece of mistletoe down from a long piece of tinsel.

"It's about time!" I heard one of them yell from above.

"Judy I'll get back at you for this," I shouted up at her, but she just smiled at me mischievously. Something told me she had this planned for a long while.

The two of us shook our heads, not being able to stop ourselves from laughing like children, both from embarrassment, exhaustion, and pure happiness.

"Go- go," Bernard tried to put back his commanding voice but it was breaking up, as he was catching his breath. "Go home all of you! We only have 365 days until next Christmas! Go sleep while you can. I expect everyone in the Workshop day after tomorrow!"

"Aww," Sighed about a thousand voices, as they emptied the patio the floor above.

We waited, making sure there was no other life out there but the two of us.

"Well, that was something," I chuckled. "To think we thought we finally had a moment of privacy."

"Privacy? Here? No such thing, not until we live together." Bernard snorted.

"Not until?" I raised an eyebrow.

"There'll be a day... I hope," He smiled, wrapping his arm around my waist and pulling me closer to him.

"Couldn't you move into the residencial Santa Halls of the Workshop?" I asked curiously. There were plenty of bedrooms there.

"Well, I suppose I could..." He didn't seem very comfortable with this idea.

"I'm not talking about now, but future-wise... wouldn't it be easier for you with your job?"

"I don't mind the walk, it's nice and relaxing... and I like my peace and quiet in my house. It feels more comfortable than the busy atmosphere of the Workshop."

I nodded, It did make sense. "Well, we can just focus on tonight for now."

"Can I kiss you again, now that I am prepared?" He asked me seriously.

"I can tell what you're thinking about." I laughed.

"How can I not think about you?" He grinned, one corner of his mouth raised above the other. "Now answer the question,"

"Yes. Yes you may."

It was just like a scene from a movie. Everything was so perfect and amazingly planned that even though this is what Judy was setting us up to do, it felt completely magical. The way his one hand brushed against my chin, while the other rested on the small of my back, how his lips tasted the same sweet way he smelled, only a million times better, paired with the view, the lights, and the downy snow were all just the way I would imagine being in love would be. And I couldn't imagine loving anybody else the way that I felt loved in this moment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.2K 497 43
Mother died when I was young and I was left in the care of my uncle, Scott Calvin. He was a toy maker, however this was going to change. 6 years late...
6.9K 1.6K 39
'No, he didn't'. I was so shocked by the turn of events. Everything was going fine and then suddenly boom, everything turned upside down. I just coul...
5.2K 703 22
Victoria Jones aka Mrs. Grinch hates Winter and the holiday season. Her brother asked her to come to their hometown to meet his fiancée, the same tow...
163K 6K 58
"I need to teach you a lesson for defying me," Beau says, and in an instant, my leg on his thigh drops down beside his. He puts his other hand on my...