Perekoo One-shots

By Vampy0

Isabel Cuckoo x Alma Lefay Peregrine Includes: Drunk Pick Up Line -Isabel gets drunk and Alma must walk her h... More

Drunk Pickup Line
After the End of the World
My Wife Alma
I Don't Look Away
let you break my heart again 2
Drinks and Confesions
Those Little Moments
Bedtime Story
Astronomy and Swimming in the Moonlight
The Charming Woman She Didn't Know
Tea Etiquette (Part II. to The Charming Woman She Didn't Know)
Pirates
Heartbroken Melody of Love

Secret Revealed

136 8 19
By Vampy0

This one-shot was requested by IJthepeculiar . Thanks for requesting this! I hope you enjoy this chapter <3

TW: homophobia, panic attack

◈━◈━◈━◈━◈

"Happy birthday, Alma," whispered Isabel into the peregrine's ear. Kissing her cheek she put a small paper-wrapped package in her lap.

The two ymbrynes were sitting on Isabel's bed in their shared room. Warm autumn breeze occasionally flowed inside through the open window and played with Alma's raven hair. She decided to keep it down for the day as it was the weekend and she had no schoolwork to finish. No school and no Jack. This day was going to be perfect.

The cuckoo peaked Alma's shoulder as she expectantly waited for her best friend to open her gift.

"You didn't need to get me anything, my dear," blushed Alma, searching her lover's eyes.

"Nonsense, It's your birthday!" Isabel booped the ravenette's nose. "I'll get you something whether you like it or not!"

Alma giggled and pulled her closer.

The gift in her lap was wrapped in light green paper with little flowers drawn all over it, topped with a large forest green bow. She ran her hand over its edge, relishing the moment of surprise.

"Go on, open it," encouraged Isabel.

The ravenette closed her eyes and pulled on the bow. The sound of rustling gift paper filled the air. Opening her eyes, Alma froze. In her hands laid a beautiful hand-bound volume of Frankenstein. Alma gasped. Intrigued she ran her hands along the lake foam green binding.

Leaning back and laying her head on Isabel's shoulder she listed through the book. It was a stunning edition. Alma already had one but she read it so often that some of the pages started to fall from their binding. Isabel sometimes teased her that at this point she'd be able to recite the whole book by heart. She was partially correct, but Alma didn't want to give her the satisfaction of confirmation. She couldn't help herself; the story resonated with her. A monster searching acceptance.

She looked at the first page. There was a detailed lino print picturing the lonely creature on his journey through the prejudiced world. Admiring the artwork she slowly looked down the page. Laying her eyes on the publication date she stopped dead in her tracks. 1831 Edition. The book was published 50 years before the ymbryne academy loop was established. She quickly listed through the book again looking for signs of ageing, but all the pages looked brand new, with no wear and tear anywhere in sight. "How in the world did you manage that?"

The french girl shrugged.

"I happened to come across Miss Avocet's map of old loops and I may have made a copy of some locations. Then I may have used that to time jump a few times to find my lover's favourite book of all time. Sadly I couldn't get my hands on the 1818 edition. Did you know they printed just 500 copies? People loved this book and they immediately sold out so I decided to find the next available edition. Nothing special," declared Isabel nonchalantly, drawing small patterns into Alma's back.

"You're incredible!" exclaimed Alma. But remembering how Isabel managed to travel back in time in the first place, her expression quickly changed.  "You stole Miss Avocet's loop map?!"

Observing her lover's rapid change of heart the cuckoo giggled. "Easy tiger, I merely borrowed it. It's back in its place." Anxiety faded from the peregrine's eyes as quickly as it had appeared and she laid her head on Isabel's shoulder again.

"You are reckless," smirked Alma. "You love me for it," smiled Isabel as she placed another peck on the ravenette's lips. Alma hummed in response.

The dark-haired ymbryne started listing through her present again, reading some of her favourite lines aloud. Her partner watched her with adoration, mesmerized by her enthusiasm, casually kissing her forehead here and there. It was beautiful how Alma was able to be drawn into a text regardless of how many times she'd read it. It was one of the many things Isabel adored about her.

◈━◈━◈━◈━◈

They both jumped away from each other when they heard someone knock at the door. Alma hurried back to her bed on the other side of their room. Isabel quickly fixed her messy blond-dyed hair, smoothed down her shirt and headed towards the door. She tried to open it as innocently as possible. Behind the door stood a dark-haired girl; her blue eyes filled with amusement; a smirk on her lips.

"Balenciaga!" exclaimed Isabel in relief.

"I scared you both, didn't I?" giggled the wren, walking inside.

"That you did," laughed a little Alma at ease, standing up from her bed and joining Isabel's side again.

"I told you we should have some sort of sign."

Isabel rolled her eyes but smiled at her friend. Noticing Balenciaga's hands were behind her back, hiding something she teased, "Should we be afraid?" The wren shook her head and revealed what she was hiding.

"Happy 17th birthday Alma!" In her hands was a plate with a small chocolate cake topped with whipped cream, strawberries and seventeen unlit candles. Alma clapped her hands in excitement. "You baked that? That's incredible! Thank you so much!" 

"That's not all!" The wren smiled at her friend and put the cake down on the edge of Isabel's writing desk. Pulling out matches from her pocket, she lit the candles.

"You've still got your birthday wish!" she declared.

"I doubt it's going to work," giggled Alma. sceptic.

"You never know till you've tried it, don't you think Fay? " smiled Isabel down at her.
Alma gazed upon the seventeen candles burning bright and approached the table. What should she wish for? The peregrine looked around the room. She had a home. She had friends. She already had everything. Her eyes landed on Isabel. 

Suddenly it struck her. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath and blew the candles out.

Her two friends erupted in applause. Alma reached for Isabel's pocket knife and cut the already small cake in three.

"Let's share."

The three ymbrynes spent the next half hour talking to each other. Alma and Isabel were cuddled on Alma's bed, Balenciaga sat at the window sill. They talked about all sorts of things; studies, the outside world, even the refreshing autumn breeze.

A second knocking interrupted their discussion.

"I'll do it," jumped up Alma, at ease, thinking it was just another ymbryne student.

To her surprise, when she opened the door, the person behind it was Diana Bunting.

"Miss Bunting?" uttered Alma, already overwhelmed by the unexpected visit. It wasn't usual for the students to be individually sought out by one of the two headmistresses. Especially on the weekends. Not unless it was about something serious. Both the other ymbrynes in the room became alert.

"Miss Bentham, darling," said Miss Bunting trying to see who else is in the room, "I was looking for you. Is Miss Escoffier with you?"

"Yes. Why are-"

"Miss Avocet would like to see the two of you," she smiled nervously, "There's something she'd like to ask you about."

Isabel joined Alma's side between the door, fighting her desire to pull the anxious peregrine close.

"What is this about, Miss?"

The bunting scanned the two young ymbrynes with concern. She bit the inside of her cheek. "I'm afraid I can't say." Noticing Alma's distressed state she added quickly, "But there's nothing to worry about, darlings."

The cuckoo shortly laid her hand on Alma's shoulder before slowly walking out the door. The peregrine moved after her, head down.

◈━◈━◈━◈━◈

The two ymbrynes sat on a bench across the headmistress's office.

"It might be about the map," tried to lighten the mood Isabel.

"If they knew you took it, they wouldn't have called us both," whispered the peregrine, feeling a little lightheaded. So many months of hiding. They've been so careful. All for nothing, she thought.

"Alma I'm certain it isn't about-," Isabel paused, lowering her voice before finishing her sentence, "us..." She tried caressing her lover's cheek but Alma pulled away like she's been burnt. It isn't about what we were doing. It isn't about us, tried the peregrine repeat in her head, but she found it hard to believe.

"Isn't it?!" she exclaimed louder than she'd like, beginning to heavily breathe. This is all wrong. They are going to throw them out of the loop. They messed up. Her hands started trembling. "All wrong. All wrong. All wrong," she heard her mother yell. The words repeated in her head like a broken record. She began to pull on her clothes; the feeling of the fabric touching her body suddenly unbearable. She felt too warm and too cold. The world around her began to fade a bit. They found out. We messed up. All wrong.

Witnessing the peregrine panicking, Isabel quickly scooted over to her and gently pulled her closer. Searching for her eyes, she grasped her hands. "Breathe darling. Everything's going to be just fine. Just focus on my voice okay?"

But Alma couldn't hear her. All she could feel was the overwhelming sense of despair. It dragged her down far from reality; it consumed her. All wrong! You disappointed your mother. You failed your father. Your brothers despise you. You are nothing. It's all wrong.

The peregrine struggled to catch her breath. She trembled with fear, tears streaming down her face. Suddenly she felt two warm hands on her cheeks pulling her closer. Whose hands are those?

"Alma, can you hear me? I'm here, my darling. You're safe." The voice was thick with worry. Whose voice? Where are they? Alma tried to concentrate on it. Smooth french accent. Soft hands on her cheeks.

"Isabel?" she remembered. 

"Yes. It's me. Try to breathe a little slower. Could you do that for me, dear?" she whispered.

The peregrine attempted to take slower breaths. Suddenly, she remember where they were and why they were there. Tears filled her eyes again. This is all-

"Alma it is going to be alright, trust me."

The peregrine squeezed Isabel's hand even tighter, again focusing on their smoothness and warmth.

"Breathe in. Breathe out. I'm here with you. Yes, just like that."

The feeling of tightness in her lungs slowly faded. She shivered.

Isabel slowly put a strand of her dark hair behind her ear. Alma snuggled closer to her lover.

"There. Breathe in and out. You're doing great."

Breathe in, breathe out, repeated Alma in her head. The world around her slowly stopped spinning. She caressed Isabel's hands.

Isabel was here. She wasn't alone.

The peregrine took a final deep breath.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"Don't," smiled Isabel. "I am here with you, alright?" She looked deep into the ravenette's emerald eyes. "Whatever happens. We have each other, darling." Another smile crossed her face. Alma dried her cheeks from the tears with the sleeve of her blouse. "Of course," she smiled a little.

"I love-"

Before she managed to finish her sentence the door flew open.

"Miss Avoccet will see you now," said Miss Bunting, smiling at the two girls. "There's truly nothing to worry about."

Isabel stood up, lifting her head high, she took a deep breath and reached for Alma's hand. The peregrine looked from her lover to Miss Bunting and back to Isabel before taking her hand and following her through the door inside. The second the girls walked through the door they noticed Jack sitting down on one of the velvet sofas in the corner. The boy played with his shirt cuffs, seemingly without a care in the world. His eyes brightened as he noticed his sister walking in. An evil smirk appeared on his face. At that moment Alma knew, she knew for sure, he was the one who found out about them.

She squeezed Isabel's hand and averted her gaze from him, trying to ignore to hollow feeling in her chest.

Miss Avocet was sitting behind her large oak desk. Her chestnut locks were pulled into a tight bun at the back of her head. She wore a forest green dress with big puff sleeves strictly according to the fashionable silhouette, a golden brooch in the shape of a bird at the throat and small round glasses with thin gold frames. Elegance and order itself. Alma impulsively adjusted her blouse.

Hearing the two students enter the headmistress lifted her gaze from her paperwork.

"Please, sit down," she gestured to two seats in front of her desk. It was more of an order than an invitation. Alma held Isabel's hand a little tighter.

"If you don't mind Miss, I'd rather stand," dared the ravenette. The avocet narrowed her eyes and glanced at Isabel.

"Me too Miss." The old ymbryne hummed in response, her eyes looking at her companion by the door.

"Diana, would you please escort Mr Bentham?"

"No, I want to see this! This is what I've been waiting for!" whined the dark-haired boy.

"That's quite enough Jack!" lectured Miss Bunting as she led him out the door.

The door closed with a loud slam, leaving the three ymbrynes in dead silence. Miss Avoccet spoke up first.

"I expected better from you."

Alma felt her eyes watering. Of course, it would end up like this. Alma was never good enough. Not for her own parents and not even for her mentor. A mentor that she in the past 3 years started to view as her adoptive mother.

"How could you be so inconsiderate." That angered the peregrine. Inconsiderate. They've been anything but.

"What are you going to do about it?" spoke up Isabel courageously stepping forward. The old ymbryne didn't answer. Instead, she met Alma's gaze again, emotionless. The next question she asked knocked the air out of the ravenette's lungs.

"Does she really matter to you that much?" To the peregrine's surprise, there was no judgement in the mentor's eyes only a kind of uncertainty.

"More than anything," whispered Alma but she wasn't looking at her. Instead, she lift her gaze and stared right into Isabel's eyes.

"I love her." Isabel's lips parted in astonishment. Alma had felt this way about her lover for some time now but never said a word, until today. She watched as a wide smile bloomed on the blondie's face, her eyes full of adoration. The beautiful moment between the two was quickly interrupted.

"Stupid girl," said the older ymbryne, more with pity than with venom. The peregrine squeezed Isabel's hand and closed her eyes bracing herself for the strong of harsh words being shot their way. Insults and threats, curses.

None came. Miss Avocet, who was to this moment pacing behind her desk, made her way towards the girls, stopping right in front of them. She seemed to be weighing her next words. The sentence that finally left her lips took the two lovers by surprise.

"Your life is going to be hell on earth if anyone else finds out." Her emotionless facade cracked and she smiled sadly. She laid both her hands on their shoulders in sympathy.

Alma leaned into the touch a little. It took her a moment before she found her words. "I wouldn't change it, Miss," she whispered, finally.

"I imagine you wouldn't. You remind me a lot of myself," she turned her head to the right searching through one of her giant bookshelves. When her eyes found what they were looking for she smiled. Both of the students followed their mentor's gaze. Miss Accovet studied an old photograph. It showed two women, similar in height, smiling in each other's embrace.

A peculiar feeling of deja-vu came over the peregrine. Narrowing her eyes she tried to figure out the reason behind the sudden feeling of familiarity. Then she realised.

"That's-"

"Me and Miss Bunting, yes."

"You two-" tried to ask Isabel.

"Let's just say that we aren't that different," hurried the avocet, averting her gaze from the picture. "Life isn't kind to the likes of us. I know too well just how easily people turn against one another." Removing her hands from her students' shoulders she moved toward the big glass window behind her desk.

"My only wish was to spare you of the dreadful pain that comes with the confrontation of hard truths of today's world," she whispered, studying her reflection in the glass. Silence filled the room. Isabel glanced at the peregrine, a sad smile on her lips. A strand of blond-dyed hair fell across her forehead. Alma reached out and gently moved it behind her ear.

"What shall I do with you two?" thought Miss Avocet out loud. "I need you to be more careful about this."

"We were!" voiced Isabel in defence. "We have no idea who he found out, Miss," added Alma.

"Well, Jack found out. Heaven knows I believe most of your classmates wouldn't say a bad word about you but he-" she paused. "You two are in the final year of basic ymbryne training, correct? In a few months, you'll leave for an apprenticeship. I suggest you pretend for the last few remaining months I forbade you from continuing this relationship. Like I scolded you. If Jack believes this then-"

"We'll be free." 

Another long silence filled the room. Tears filled the peregrine's eyes. Her breathing quickened once again. Quickly approaching the avocet she threw her arms around her in a tight hug.

"Thank you mother," she whispered, overwhelmed with emotions. The mentor froze in place.

In a few moments, Alma realised what she's done. Pulling away, red cheeks, and fear in her eyes. She stumbled over her words.

"I am so sorry, Miss Avocet!"

She tried backing away but was soon pulled into a hug by the older ymbryne. "Come here, my child," whispered the avocet into the girl's dark locks. She closed her eyes. Taking in the smell of old parchment she pulled her arms around her mentor; her teacher; her mother.

Isabel watched the scene all unravel in front of her, delighted by her lover's happiness, but with a sudden feeling of desolation. Instinctively she pulled her arms around her body. She had a loving mother back home, sure, but she hasn't seen her in such a long time that now she wasn't sure if she'd even remember her. A wave of memories pulled her in and a tear ran down her cheek. The cuckoo didn't see Miss Avocet as a mother figure but she still couldn't shake off the feeling of slight jealousy. And suddenly Alma reached out her hand to her, shortly meeting her eyes with a smile. Isabel's face brightened. Taking the peregrine's hand she joined the embrace.

◈━◈━◈━◈━◈

On their way back to their room the two young ymbrynes held hands again.

"You and Balenciaga were right, you know," beamed Alma.

"Whatever do you mean, my love?" asked Isabel.

"The Birthday wish. It worked," she explained. But seeing her lover's confused expression she giggled and kissed her hand before continuing. "I wished we wouldn't have to hide anymore."

This was my first time writing a request and it was very fun! If you lovely people have any other requests, drop a comment and (provided I have fewer exams and more free time) I might do some more in the future! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.3K 490 28
"So... what about us?" he asked, and I looked at him, a bit bewildered. "What?" I inquired. "You and me... what are we, Sera? You know how you affect...
157K 2.6K 42
"What the fuck is your problem?" I asked my sworn enemy. "Have you lost your damn mind!" I scream at the top of my lungs. This bitch better answer m...
2.4K 89 14
When Enid Jones a straight A student and a perfect Islamic daughter any parent would wish to have, won a scholarship to the prestigious Montrose Acad...
17.9K 809 17
Mr Barron has captured Miss Peregrine. Though the experiment isn't ready to begin. Miss P's children have been taken to the safety of another loop wh...