Bestial Planet

Por AT3chnicality

I'm an artist with words, not book covers... Android Captain Lancieta Steegle, and an engineer from Earth nam... Más

Chapter 1: Spearhead Eulogy
Chapter 2: The Comet
Chapter 3: A Forlorn Stand
Chapter 4: N.R.E.M.
Chapter 5: Morning Drive
Chapter 6: Side Track to Perseverance
Chapter 7: Unforeseen
Chapter 8: Regroup and Reassess
Chapter 9: Electric Sheep
Chapter 10 : Controlling Instinct
Chapter 11: They Come in Peace
Chapter 12: An Understanding
Chapter 13: A New Beginning
Chapter 14: Magnetic
Chapter 15: Journey to the North
Chapter 16: The First of Their People
Chapter 17: Diversions
Chapter 18: What's the Plan
Chapter 19: Discomfort Zones
Chapter 20: Breath/e
Chapter 21: Preponderance of Talved
Chapter 22: Report and Respond
Chapter 23: Gridt your Teeth
Chapter 24: The Immortal
Chapter 25: Negotiations
Chapter 26: Moving Forward
Chapter 27: Prisoner Transport and Luncheon
Chapter 28: Deep Space Dreams
Chapter 29: Bombastic Infiltration
Chapter 30: Stadium City
Chapter 31: Failure Report
Chapter 32: Court
Chapter 33: Home
Chapter 34: Metamorphosis
Chapter 35: Testing
Chapter 37: Compendium
Chapter 38: The Horror of Dissonance
Chapter 39: The Archaeologist and the Fighter
Chapter 40: Restoration
Chapter 41: Test Flight
Chapter 42: Make it Up as You Go
Chapter 43: Emissary of War
Chapter 44: Reconstitution
Chapter 45: Lucid Reality
Chapter 46: Third Time's the Charm
Chapter 47: Military Training
Chapter 48: Back Water Reconnaissance
Chapter 49: The Ship Named Croatoan
Chapter 50: The Question
Chapter 51: Declaration

Chapter 36: The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same

2 0 0
Por AT3chnicality

The councils had been doing exactly what I initially hoped they'd do; help the people who had questions and needed some sense of normalcy. There was one thing I hadn't heard about since returning though, crime. No one had been murdered, attacked, robbed or anything else that used to land you in jail. There were fights and disagreements sure, but nothing serious. It felt Utopian in a sense, which made me wary. I couldn't shake this feeling that the world was just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Heck, I was too. The bright side though, after a week of training with Barton I'd gotten comfortable enough to walk without looking for something to grab onto every few seconds. It's the little things.

Small groups of people would still gather outside Section 6 everyday. Some just wanted to say hi, others wanted to talk. I wasn't thrilled, but if they felt like they needed me I guessed I should be there until they didn't. While talking with them I constantly had the image of me sitting out front Section 6, trying to starve myself to death, pop into my head. Remembering that feeling is what kept me talking to people. I knew what it felt like to have no hope, no will to live... At times that feeling crept up on me and I'd do my best to fight it back down, that nothing - sitting inside me. I used to think I kept on living to spite it, every breath I took since then was me laughing at that feeling, showing it I was stronger. Talking with Mei-lin about it made me see she felt similarly. Anyway... I wasn't the only one who had small groups of people coming to them. Catty and Nik, even Barton had people going to them with questions about; how to control their abilities, what they could expect if they transformed, could life ever be the same, etc. If there was one thing to say about Barton, he was great at managing people's expectations, even if he did come off as heartless.

*****

Friday, nearly a month and a half after I returned from the Stadium was when they came back; Mom and her crew. We had to declare caretakers for them before they arrived, the Seven of us who woke up first felt obligated to do so. For nearly a year before everyone else started waking up, they were our family. Not many people showed up for their return but in retrospect I think that was for the best.

The dock door opened and a male Android was the first one out, he looked familiar but I didn't know why. He waved at me through a forced smile, as though he were in an immense amount of pain but trying his best to hide it. A female Android followed and she looked like she was in the same mental state as the first one. They walked out of the ship, four massive containers were off-loaded behind them and another Android, wearing a military uniform walked out.

"I take it you're Ambassador Panzer Steegle?"

"That is indeed who I am Miss!" I said with a joking tone but she wasn't having any of it.

"I'm to inform you that though we've done the preliminary medical procedure, the war criminals Roisin, Yora Centaul, and Lancieta Steegle will still be going through a period of discomfort..."

She looked as though she didn't agree with what she was saying but continued as if she were one of those customer service representatives in a call center who never actually helped.

"They each have all their belongings that were at their residences on their respective home planets. They also have the medical devices, machinery and supplies they will need to live on a, pardon my saying, less advanced world."

"It's fine, humans really are just cavemen compared to everyone else aren't we?"

"I wouldn't say that Ambassador!"

She looked uncomfortable with my joke so I moved past it. "As an Android and not an official one, from one sentient being to another, why do they still look like they're in pain. I was told it was temporary."

Again she was at a loss for words, unsure of how to respond.

"One person to another, please. Just tell me, explicitly."

She looked nervous and unsure if she should answer my question but it seemed she started speaking before she realized it.

"They're traumatized... Imagine waking up in a new body, having to relearn how it works and moves..."

"I don't have to imagine that. This body is almost 3 weeks old!" I forced a boisterous laugh, trying to lighten the mood but she looked just as uncomfortable as before.

"Can you imagine having your mind ripped out of your body and being forced into a new one? Having to, rearrange your thoughts into the way they felt before? I've been told it's like being disassembled while you're still conscious uh, 'dismembered', for organics."

I couldn't feign an upbeat attitutde anymore. I remembered what some other Androids told me and it made me sick to my stomach.

"It's..."

"A living hell." I finished her thought and she noticed my disposition change.

"Forgive me, but I over heard the Captain at one point during our travel here." I looked at her quizzically. "She couldn't wait to see you again, that's the basic gist of it."

I have to get back on board. I had family on the Shinimorte so I'm of two minds about how to feel, but for you, I hope she gets over it soon. Many star systems saw what happened at the hearing as I'm sure you're aware." She paused again, not sure if she should continue speaking. "Lots of us had sus..."

"Private! Ms. Steegle is finally leaving the ship, get back on board. We're leaving immediately."

A male organic was yelling from the docking bay. The Private saluted me and walked back up into the ship.

I saw a shine of metallic skin glittering in the shade provided by the ships docking bay door. She looked different, like the others but when she looked at me I knew it was Lancieta. We locked eyes for a moment then she looked down at the ground and walked over to Yora and Roisin. They stood in a tight triangle on the port until her containers were off loaded and the ship lifted off. I wasn't sure if I should approach them or not. I didn't know how to approach them to be honest. I slowly walked over and programmed their containers to follow, the six of them lifted off the ground waiting obediently. I walked over to Lancieta and hugged her. She moved awkwardly and slowly returned the sentiment.

"You've grown - a little, since we last saw you."

Yora sounded a little more awkward than he thought he would. I tried to relax and went over to Yora and Roisin. Yora put his hand out for a shake.

"I might - crush your ribs. Still getting used to the muscles, in this body... as well as other things of course."

Roisin put her hand up also. "It's ta-ta-taking me l-longer to adjust..."

I did my best to skirt the line of friendly and respectful. "It's fine, uh uour rooms are as you left them so you've got that as a starting point. Your plants were taken care of while we were away Roisin."

A smile appeared, then her eyebrow twitched and she covered her face in frustrated embarrassment.

I motioned for us to walk towards Section 6. Roisin trailed behind as she was moving awkwardly, her hands would spasm and her legs would go stiff at points. She held herself with both arms to try and minimize her body's outbursts. She hid between the containers so people wouldn't stare at her. Luckily, the containers were small enough that when we got to the main elevator two containers could fit at a time. I helped Roisin climb on top of one of her containers and it carried her into the elevator. As the doors closed she looked like she was on the verge of passing out from exhaustion. The other larger elevators that had been repaired, but familiarity was more important than getting inside. I thought it'd help with their brain restructuring in some way.

Lancieta and Yora didn't say much as we were waiting. So I spoke with Mei-lin about things I thought would make them feel at ease or at least occupy their minds, such as the preparations for others to make the change which we hoped would be the final one. I mean, turning back into a normal human would be great but most of us had given up on that notion already.

"What was it that some of the doctors said about reversing the changes?"

"Let me think." Mei-lin tapped a hoof for a few seconds. "He said they'd have to figure out what and how the planet 'protected' us."

"Surmajuhtumid."

I looked at Lancieta, confused by the word, then I noticed a grim look on Mei-lin, Nik, and Catty's faces.

"What? What does that word mean?"

"Is your, translator, broken?"

Yora asked looking at my neck with his familiar curiosity.

"Oh no sorry, I just... I turned it off so I could get used to talking with my vocal chords again."

"I thought you sounded different." Lancieta's voice sounded cold but I knew how she meant it to come across. The elevator dinged, Yora looked at us in question and Lancieta nodded for him to go in next.

"Hey Tould..."

"Tould and his brothers have not been assigned to this ship for..."

"Just bring me - to my floor."

Yora smiled a goodbye as the door closed and Lancieta cleared her throat.

"Listen Panzer, I'm still adjusting to this body and it's-difficult so, if I seem different it's not that I don't..." She was shifting uncomfortably as she spoke.

"It's cool mom. I was told bye a few Androids that this was going to be... hard. I just, I'm not sure if you hate me for putting you through this. I didn't know how extreme the change would be. I wouldn't blame you if you hated me, in any capacity."

A series of emotions raced across Lancieta's face as she searched for the right one but she stopped at something resembling sadness and sympathy.

"You're the closest I'll ever get to having a child. I don't hate you and neither do the others. We knew it was either this or death that would be waiting for us when we stepped aboard the Shinimorte. We may be in horrible condition now but we did this to ourselves."

The elevator doors opened and Lancieta stepped inside, her containers following.

"Do you guys want some alone time then?"

She smiled and put a hand over her new heart.

"If just for today honey. My room please."

The doors slid shut and as much as I tried I couldn't hide my sadness, which Nik noticed.

"Dude she said don't worry, so stop worrying."

I looked at the elevator and sighed.

"There's not that much in the way of Ambassador stuff for me to do here besides stay in touch with everyone."

Nik licked his lips in thought and stood up from laying down, well, stood as best as a Komodo Dragon can stand on it's four legs.

"You never knew how to take an actual break dude. You lost your tail in a fight against a Halgred, then you accepted the title of Ambassador, fought against another Halgred while you were gone, IN SPACE and immediately after that you represented Earth to the rest of the damn universe and now you're still trying to do shit. Take a break, do nothing. Stare at the ocean that's apparently actually filled with giant sea monsters. Lancieta said you were forcing yourself to wake up while you we were still changing the first time, just stop dude."

I was surprised by the admonishment, as was Catty. Mei-lin didn't seem affected though, she was actually nodding as he spoke. I wanted to argue that I had taken a break but I wasn't sure if I genuinely did. Now that I thought about it, all of my previous "downtime" was filled with stress. Catty motioned to the door.

"Either you go chill in your room or outside in the world, pick one."

"What about you guys?"

"You need to stop worrying about everyone else." Catty then playfully growled at me until I started moving out of Section 6.

"We'll be here dude. You may not remember but you loved having you time."

I nodded to the three of them and forced a smile as I walked out.

*****

After walking aimlessly, I found myself at the house I'd woken up in. I looked for the body of the Feral who'd attacked me but nothing was there, not a bone. I walked over to where I used to sit and did as much. At that moment I felt light rain, a sun-shower started as the sun was just past it's zenith. I closed my eyes and felt the rain drops tap against my eyelids. Then, in my mind, I was transported to a park; a memory. There was a woman and a man there and two other children. Everything was blurry and the woman walked towards me.

"Are you ok honey?"

"I'm fine mom."
"Why are you out here in the rain? You'll catch a cold."

The voice sounded like it was behind me. I turned around and saw Lancieta standing in the rain, as soaked as I was.

"I'm sorry I... I can't be in Section 6 right now. I didn't mean to bother you."

"You're not."

"... you looked like you were remembering something... "

"Maybe. I'm not sure if it was a dream or a wish."

"I'll leave."

She turned around quickly and was able to take a few steps before I answered.

"You can stay if you want. I'm just relaxing."

She stopped mid-step and stood there for a few seconds as the rain continued to fall, unsure if she should stay or not. She turned around and looked as if she was trying to remember how to smile. I smiled back and she walked over slowly, sitting down next to me, joining my view.

"Surmajuhtumid. It's what's known as a death planet. We might have to visit one to figure out how exactly you and your people changed."

"I'm not allowed to think right now, as ordered by the head council member and my two best friends...."

"Fair enough."

"But, if I was allowed to think, I'd say it sounds interesting but we'd need a space..."

I trailed off as the word spaceship reverberated uncomfortably in my brain. I shook it out, smiled at her and looked at the overgrown valley below. She leaned back on her hands and the both of us just sat there in silence under the soft blanket of rain.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

116K 11.4K 135
Thousands of years have passed since mankind's extinction, now the remaining society of Humanoid robots on Mars and Machine-like robots on Europa are...
361 73 63
Twenty years after the end of the Cyborg War, the last cyborgs try to hijack a starship on its way to terraform an alien world. They want the new col...
120 0 71
The story of Kehlani. -Found by her soul mate after being locked away for 500 years. She must learn to navigate her new life. Includes: space travel...
5.1K 154 14
[Story under heavy WIP, feedback very greatly appreciated. Title and description subject to constant changes.] "You never know what you truly have un...