Nightingale 》Jake Seresin

By _Stxdia_

night·in·gale ˈnī-tᵊn-ˌgāl In which a Navy Nurse and a Naval Aviator have a history of love and heartbreak t... More

Extended Summary
Cast
Graphic Gallery
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Epilogue
Bonus Chapters
Proposal
Wedding
Pregnancy
Iceman's Warning
Nova and Jake: Take One
Flash Forward
Headcannons
Extras
Name Meanings
Ideas that DIDN'T make it
Thank You!!

Chapter 5

2.9K 47 4
By _Stxdia_

Bradley pulled up to Nova's house just before 7. He grabbed a bag that contained Kit-Kats, M&M's and gummy bears knowing whatever conversations that would be had tonight would need help. And these just so happened to be Amelia's favorites.

He walked right into the house, calling out as he did so. "How many times have I told you to lock the door? I don't care if you know I'm coming over."

Nova just shrugs as she looks up from the kitchen. "Yeah, well. Lia's helping me with dinner, so neither of us would have been able to open the door."

He walked into the kitchen to see both girls covered in flour. "Did the flour attack you?" Bradley asked sarcastically. This had happened so many times, he knew exactly what they had been up to.

"The cookies are in the oven. Should be done and cooling by the time we finish dinner," Ameila explained, wiping her hands off.

Nova was at the stove. "And before you ask, it's simple spaghetti tonight. I really didn't feel like trying."

The others just laugh, knowing that when Nova feels lazy, pasta is her go-to meal. Amelia gestures to the bag in Bradley's hand. "What's in there?"

"Considering the conversation we left off with at the base, I figured reinforcements would be necessary," he explained while putting the candy on the counter.

Amelia looks incredibly touched that he had thought about her before coming over. She just goes in and hugs him, refusing to let go for a few minutes. By the time they end their hug, the pasta is ready and dinner is served.

"Ok Lia. Pick the first movie of the night. We can get it started while we eat," Nova told the teenager. And because it was going to be a heavier night, Amelia chose a comfort film.

Tangled.

Bradley just groans while Nova laughs. "Why did I even ask," she says while queuing up the movie.

They eat while watching Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder, sorry Eugene Fitzherbert, meet for the first time.

Bradley helps Nova clean up the plates so they can give Amelia some time to gather her thoughts on the topic at hand tonight. They decide without even having to check with the other to let the movie finish before talking with her.

And once the movie is over, they turn to Amelia. Nova sits on the couch next to her while Bradley is in the chair on the side. Amelia just sighs, knowing it was coming before she sits up from where she was leaning against Nova.

"Can you explain what you meant by not only breaking your mom's heart whenever he leaves?" Nova begins, asking the question softly. After all, no matter how much Bradley was like a son to Maverick, Nova was his actual daughter. She knew the effects better than anyone.

Amelia takes a deep breath before explaining. "He's been more of a father than my actual dad, especially in the last couple of years. So every time he leaves, it's like my dad is walking out on me again."

Neither Nova nor Bradley know what to say. Bradley hasn't seen the effects since he's been gone for a while but Nova noticed that things had been a bit off for Amelia.

"And it sucks, because yea he and Mom have their weird relationship that they think we don't know about," Amelia continues. "But he treats me just like he treats you guys and JJ. I don't think he does it knowingly, but he's so used to it because of you three that it's instinct for him. I love that because it's like having a dad who actually cares about me and what I like. But then he does something to piss another person off and gets sent to the opposite side of the world and we don't see him again for a year or more."

By this point in Amelia's rant, she has tears in her eyes, because she is finally able to get this off her chest. "Hell it doesn't even matter if he's on the other side of the world, he always sends a birthday card and a Christmas card. He remembers the important dates that my own dad forgets half the time."

Now she's really crying and Nova reaches out to hug her. Amelia just sobs into Nova's shoulder as Bradley comes to the other side of the couch to sandwich her between the two of them. And they sit there for a while, just giving her the support she needs after finally letting this out.

Once she's calmed down enough, Nova pulls back to ask her a question. "Do you want me to talk to him?"

Amelia just shakes her head. "That's something I'll have to do myself. Maybe if he can actually get it together for Mom this time."

The three of them sit in silence for a little while longer before Amelia looks at Bradley. "Tell me something about this mission that will cheer me up. I know it's big and classified, but something from training must be funny."

He chuckles a bit before telling her some of the more upbeat stories. His favorite, however, is all the times Hangman has gotten his ass handed to him by Maverick. No matter his feelings towards Maverick right now, anyone that can knock Hangman down a few pegs makes for good stories.

He was so caught up in explaining these incidents, Bradley didn't notice Nova's expression and the way she tensed slightly at the mention of Hangman.

But Amelia did. And she was one of two people who knew the entire story behind Nova Mitchell and Jake Seresin.

Because of this, she kept gesturing to Bradley to stop or at least notice how it was making Nova feel. Soon enough he notices. "You good Nova?"

She smiles at him, clearly a forced smile as she answers in a less than convincing voice. "Yea, I'm good."

He gives her a look. "You got tense when I started mentioning Hangman. Did he do something?" Bradley was ready to kill Hangman if he did anything to Nova. Hell all he really had to do was let Ice know something had happened and Hangman would be out faster than he could say sorry.

Nova shakes her head. "He didn't know anything, Brad. Promise."

But Amelia knows better. She has seen what Nova was like after the break up. She knows how hurt Nova was, especially when she didn't have her entire support system. Half of them still didn't know who the man that broke her heart was. And Bradley was about to find out.

"This time," she mutters. Nova shot her a look, but it was loud enough for Bradley to hear.

"What do you mean this time?" He was serious. There was no way Bradley was leaving without an answer.

Nova looked at Amelia, essentially saying Now you've done it. Amelia just shrugs. She thought Nova should have said something ages ago, especially with this detachment happening.

Nova takes a deep breath. She really did not want to do this, but she knew Bradley wouldn't stop until he had an answer.

"Do you remember that relationship I was in about two years ago? The one that ended after the incident at work?" Nova is wringing her hands together in worry. She knows damn well Bradley doesn't like Jake very much and the past few days have only cemented that fact.

"Him?! It was him?!" Bradley can't believe it. No way was Hangman ever good enough for his little sister. Not only that, how the hell did Hangman in all his arrogant assholery manage to convince Nova to go out with him? And for a long term relationship at that? It just didn't make sense.

"Yes, him," Nova answers. "Jake and I dated for almost two years before we broke up. Everything I told you was true. I just never told you who it was."

Bradley made a face when she said his name. The thought of Hangman being called Jake by his sister disgusted him. It was more so the protective older brother feeling of his little sister in a serious relationship than who the person was, but still.

“Please stop. I don’t need that image in my head, for you or Hangman." He just shakes his head as he tells her that, trying to get the thoughts out of his brain.

Amelia just laughs as she watches the entire thing go down. And that brings Bradley back to another matter. "Wait a minute. How did you know?" He questions Amelia with narrowed eyes.

"Mom and I were the only people who knew. Because we wouldn't judge her for her choice." Amelia narrowed her eyes right back at him, knowing those words would get through to him.

Nova shook her head at the two of them. "I knew you weren't his biggest fan and you of all people know I try to avoid dating anyone in the Navy because of Dad and Uncle Ice. But something was different with Jake. And I would really appreciate if you didn't do anything now that you know about it."

Bradley just sighed. "Fine. I promise not to go crazy on him. Even if he deserves it." That last part was muttered under his breath, despite being in clear earshot of Nova.

Amelia, finally happy with the outcome, turned to Nova. "Does this mean we can put on another movie? I want to get another one in before bed."

The two adults just laugh and give her the remote to pick out a new movie. And the three just cuddled up on the couch to watch Atlantis before calling it a night.

☽☆☾   ☽☆☾   ☽☆☾

While Bradley promised Nova he wouldn't do anything now that he knew about her and Jake, he couldn't just let it go that easily.

After he leaves Nova's house, he makes a stop before going home. He pulls up to the place Hangman is renting before knocking on the door. It's almost midnight, so it takes a few moments before the door opens.

It's safe to say, Jake was not expecting Braldey to be on his doorstep. "What are you doing here Bradshaw? In case you haven't noticed, it's late and we have drills in the morning."

Neither of the men were really in the mood for this, But Bradley knew he needed to make something very clear to Hangman.

"You need to stay away from Nova."

Of course, that woke Jake up from any sleep he had in him. And he didn't appreciate it.

"Why the hell should I listen to you? I can do whatever I want. You don't control my decisions. Especially with you, I see." Jake was getting right into Bradley's face. The sheer fact that Bradshaw thought he could dictate that kind of decision was ridiculous.

Bradley was just as adamant, however. "I mean it, Hangman. Stay away from her."

And because he had noticed all the touches the looks, the familiarity, and especially the invite for dinner that very night, Jake had to say something. "Why? She your girl or something, Bradshaw? Worried I'll steal her from you?"

It took everything in Bradley not to punch the look right off of Hangman's face. "No, you asshole. She's my little sister. And I'm well aware of what happened the last time you two were around each other."

Whatever he was expecting, it wasn't that. Hangman was shocked at the revelation he was just presented. Siblings? He knew Nova had friends who were so close, she considered them family, but as far as he was aware, she had never mentioned Bradshaw. At least not by name.

"You broke her heart. I won't let you do that again," Bradley warned him. Any and all issues he had with Hangman went right out the window. All he cared about right now was his sister and her feelings.

"Her's wasn't the only one broken that day, Bradshaw!"

Bradley wasn't expecting that and clearly Jake hadn't meant to say it, if the look on his face was anything to go by.

"It was a mutual decision that broke us both. That's all I've got to say to you about it. So goodbye. See you at training." And with that Jake shut the door in Bradley's face before heading to his bathroom. He needed a hot shower to release all the tension he now felt thanks to Rooster.

Bradley stood, staring at the door for a few moments, stunned. Once he was able to move properly, he got into his Bronco and drove home. He began evaluating all the interactions he had had with both people since their breakup two years ago. The entire time, he just kept thinking of only one thing.

Just how deep was Nova and Jake's relationship if both of them seemed so miserable without the other?

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Word Count: 2,161

Phew! That was a lot. But I've had this idea that since Mav has a daughter and 2 surrogate sons, he would just be paternal by nature. So him treating Amelia like a daughter isn't out of the realm of possibility to me.

And the cat's out of the bag! Bradley knows about Jake! AND Jake knows that Nova and Bradley are basically siblings!

We love a good misunderstanding trope!! (No we don't but that's what you're getting oops)

Let me know what you think! I'm very proud of this chapter. It's all originally, with nothing from the movie involved and it's over 2K words.

So until next chapter, bye guys!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76K 1K 16
june mitchell, call sign 'hawk' has always wanted to follow her father, pete 'maverick' mitchell, into the navy. she goes to top gun with a family fr...
309K 5.8K 29
Bradley 'Rooster' Bradshaw and Rachel 'Hurricane' Mitchell have known each other since Rachel was born, and he was only 3. Despite their age gap, the...
908K 25.8K 62
❝ i wanted you, you wanted me ❞ b. bradshaw x mitchell!oc top gun: maverick (2022) 🛩 lowercase intended © hollywillow-
95.5K 1.8K 34
Eleanor Bradshaw was always seen as a ray of light to her mom and older brother following Goose's untimely death. She always connected instantly wit...