Star Wars, The Cooper Chronic...

By Goldengun2002

On a backwater world in the fringes of Republic space lives a young man. Living alone sense he was ten, his f... More

Chapter 1: Humble Beginnings
Chapter 2: Hell on Reach
Chapter 3: 717th
Chapter 4: Duel
Chapter 5: Welcome to the Republic
Chapter 6: Rally the men
Chapter 7: Training
Chapter 8: First battle
Chapter 9: Christophsis
Chapter 10: 'Negotiations'
Chapter 11: Padawans
Chapter 12: Rockjumpers
Chapter 13: Temple Raider
Chapter 14: We Meet Agian
Chapter 16: Malevolence
Chapter 17: Flying Lessons
Chapter 18: Senatorial Rescue
Chapter 19: Reshie Moon
Chapter 20: Destress call
Chapter 21: Hiigaran Assault
Chapter 22: Senatorial Rescue

Chapter 15: Recovery

513 22 0
By Goldengun2002

Narrator: An operation complete! With the deal between the Republic and the Hutts sealed and the plot of the CIS undone thanks to the efforts of Jedi General Anakin Skywalker and the padawans Ahsoka Tona and Jerome Cooper, rest can be attained by the weary warriors. However, for one of our heroes, that rest may not be so fruitful.

Fear is such a potent emotion, one triggered by a myriad of sources. Be it a phobia, a jump scare, or even simply that of the unknown. But those all pale in comparison to genuine fear, which every fiber of your being feels, to run away, to do everything in one's power to escape.

That fear, that feeling of pure unbridled terror, plagued Jerome Cooper's mind, for before him was the scene from his vision. Cradled in his father's arms, the man's words were undefinable, yet loud and fearful. Hot tears ran down the boy's cheeks, the feeling of wind blowing past his face upon the front door to their dwelling shattering, framing the cloaked figure against the inky starless night. The woman standing before them ignited her silver blade, her arm shaking as the figure flicked their wrists, silver and gold hilts sliding from the sleeves before igniting with crimson plasma. A wail emanated from Jerome as the terrifying aura of that figure smothered everything. Words were exchanged, but like with his father before, Jerome could not understand them. Turning to face them, Jerome took in the woman's features, her bright emerald eyes wide with fear, her features soft yet twisted as she screamed the only word he could hear.

Woman: RUN!

And instantly, Jerome's eyes shot open, his wail morphing into a scream upon shooting up. His motions were wild, sending medical equipment scattering around, the rapid beeping cut short, the cord ripped free from the monitor as it clattered to the ground.

Medical droid: Commander Jerome Cooper, please calm yourself. You are safe.

The monotone voice of the droid said, drawing the young man's attention, focusing upon the metal being, then slowly to everything else. He sat in the disheveled medical ward, walls painted in a stark white, mirroring everything from the equipment to the gown he found himself in. Recollected himself, Jerome pushed away the grasping fear, the tightness slowly loosening as his eyes fell upon the monitor lying by his bedside, then drifting up to the droid standing before him.

Jerome: S-sorry.... about that.

Medical droid: Given your sudden distress, it is understandable. I will inform the general of your awakening. Please wait until my return.

Jerome: A-alright.

Jerome said, watching the droid walk behind a privacy curtain, images of the 'dream' lingered heavily on his mind, a shiver rolling down his spine at the mere thought of the figure in the doorway. Grasping his hands together, their shaking not of his own volition.

Jerome: What, what was that?

He muttered, glancing down at the monitor once more. Jerome shifted to the edge of the bed and reached down. Fumbling to grab onto it and nearly falling out of the bed, but managed to fix the monitor as a storming of multiple people drew his attention, overshadowing the intermittent beeping the machine now released.

Jerome: Huh, that was fast. How's-

Liz: What the hell were you thinking!?

The clone major yelled as she yanked aside the privacy curtain, revealing the medical droid, the majority of his command staff, Jerome's droids, and the other Jedi he had grown familiar with. Though he first had to deal with the icy stare he was under from the clone women, as he went to open his mouth, Jerome was silenced by his major once again.

Liz: Don't! Don't you even start! You know the answer, yet you still nearly got yourself killed! You would have fucked us all over if you'd failed that stunt!

James: It was reckless, but Liz, you need to-

Liz: You're siding with him again!?

She barked, the beeping growing ever more sporadic as the others started to crowd around Jerome's bed. The young man slowly inched back against the headrest as the yelling grew loader and loader. Everyone attempted to talk, then slowly morphed into yelling over each other.

Barrage: Cause he's just a kid, Liz, and he's alive!

Liz: That's precisely my point! Half of the unit sent is dead!

Owl: That's not on him. That's on me, Liz!

Beep, beep, beep, beep.

Ahsoka: Hey, Jerome, you feeling, ok? Jerome? Hey!

Anakin: Ashoka, don't yell at him!

A lump formed in the young Jedi's throat, his breathing growing more unhinged.

Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep.

Medical Droid: Please, for the sake of the patient, everyone, calm down.

Barrage: What! It's not my fault we're yelling!

Titan: No one is saying that, Barrage!

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Niner: Sir, are you-

Jerome: EVERYONE, JUST SHUT UP!

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-thunk.

A Force wave from the young man blasted everything around him, throwing medical equipment across the room and staggering everyone around the patient. Silence swiftly fell over them all as Jerome heaved, head snapping towards the clones as they recovered.

Jerome: All of you, out.

Titan: Kid, we-

The largest man attempted to say before freezing as Jerome slammed his fist against the handrail, the thrum of the impact permeating through the space.

Jerome: I said, OUT! That's an order, captain!

He barked, his tone seeping with power as there was no pushback from his men, most of the clones giving respectful nods and leaving the young man's bedside. Many stepped over the monitor, the device broken thoroughly, shards of glass littering the floor that crunched under their boots. Once again, with his breathing slowing, Jerome fell back into the bed, a bout of fatigue gripping his body.

Obi-wan sighed as he stared at his apprentice, retrieving an overturned chair off the floor. The recovering Force user watched his master sit at his bedside, his master gesturing towards his previous Padawan and Anakin's charge.

Obi-wan: Can you give us a moment you two?

Anakin: Yeah...come on, Snips.

He said, following the same path the clones had taken. Ahsoka flashed Jerome an apologetic glance before walking after Anakin. Alone with just the droids and his master, Jerome groaned, pulling off the sensors from his arm as the medical droid slowly took what remained of the equipment and left to dispose of it.

Niner: Well, wasn't that a lovely way to awaken, sir?

The bodyguard stated, taking a spot up against the wall, while R4 shifted itself around next to Obi-wan, releasing a small whine.

Jerome: You said it, bud—a lovely way to wake up after a nightmare.

He grumbled, laying his head back and watching his master rub his chin. A contemplative look ran across his visage before speaking.

Obi-wan: Well, after what you went through, I'm not surprised there would be some disturbances after nearly being kidnapped with what you went through.

Jerome: No, it's...Master I, I saw things again, like at the Temple.

Jerome said, Obi-wan's eyes widening as he paused his contemplation. Staring at his Padawan briefly, the older man turned towards R4. The droid sensing the Jedi's intentions, let out a soft set of boops, one of the many compartments from the droid's chassis opening, so the master could Jedi retrieve the young man's sabers. For which Jerome raised a brow upon seeing them coming from his droid.

Obi-wan: I thought it would be better if your droid held onto them after we rushed you aboard. We didn't know how long you were going to be out.

Obi-wan said, slowly setting the hilts next to Jerome, the young man simply nodding as he stared down upon his sabers.

Jerome: Yeah, just going off-topic for a second. How long was I out?

Niner: Twenty-six hours from retrieval by Jedi master Obi-wan Kenobi, a significant cause of blackout include: fatigue due to Bacta treatment repair of cracked ribs, blunt force trauma to the cranium and jaw, along with sustained muscle tear and bone fractures in your left extremity. So, under the circumstances, 'a while', sir.

The commando droid replied, its eyes flashing a slow white before reverting to a stable yellow hue. Shaking his head, a chuckle left Jerome's lips as he leaned over and weakly hit its mechanical arm.

Jerome: I don't think I needed the full prognosis, Niner. But yeah, Zar, she got me good.

Jerome cast his gaze back to his sabers, reaching out and slowly grasping his father's. He brushed a thumb over the horn, its surface less grainy than it had previously felt to him.

Jerome: Did you clean it, master?

He asked, glancing at Obi-wan from the corner of his eye while inspecting the rest of the saber, running his fingers over the mixture of wood and metal. As Jerome studied his weapon, Obi-wan picked up his apprentice's other blade, turning it over in his hands.

Obi-wan: Indeed, a Jedi must maintain their saber, much like any other weapon or machine. It must be taken care of, which regrettably is one of the many things I've yet to teach you.

Jerome: Yeah, but you can't blame yourself for what happened. It's my fault that I, that I lost my cool.

Jerome said, eyes locked on the silver hilt, his eyes never leaving it as his master handed him the blade and timidly held it before letting it rest next to its fellow.

Obi-wan: Yes, but these visions you saw were after you touched that lightsaber? What happened before you saw them?

Jerome: Well, I was running from Zar, but given being in...less than a combat-effective state, I couldn't shake her, she forced me into a duel, and I did what I could. Got lucky with a blaster bolt to her side, and looking back now, I should have switched and pressed her, but I saw flashes of Reach. This rage filled me, and I kept firing until her eyes went all yellow, and she turned me into a skipping stone with the floor.

Jerome said, rubbing his left arm. The Jedi master nodded as he leaned against his hands, elbows planted on his knees.

Obi-wan: I see. Then you began to panic, didn't you?

Jerome: I did. Everything felt so numb, and it was hard to stay awake. She just, taunted me. I started it, but still, I felt like everything was slipping away, so I grabbed the hilt, and it just happened like at the Temple. Flashes, bits of intense emotion, and some implications I'm...not sure how to feel about or ready are to discuss in detail.

He said the last phrase almost in a whisper as he clutched his garment, hands beginning to tremble before Jerome felt his master firmly grip his shoulder.

Obi-wan: It's alright. I won't push you further if it's too much for you now. You're my Padawan; there will be time to discuss this later.

Jerome: Thank you, sir, and I'll let you know if the night terrors return, but I have to request one thing.

Obi-wan: And I'll see if it is within my power. What do you need, Jerome?

He asked, the man leaning in before cocking a brow as Jerome snickered, then burst out into a chuckle, bringing a sense of levity to the heavy topic mere seconds ago.

Jerome: Pants, I'd like a pair of pants, sir. I don't intend to stay here all day, and this garment isn't the most reliable clothing.

He snorted in a useless attempt to silence himself. Obi-wan sighed, a small smile forming as he met his charges gaze.

Obi-wan: I can get you a pair. James was thoughtful enough to bring aboard a spare change of clothes for you when the Liberation arrived. Niner, would you mind getting them?

Niner: No general Kenobi, not at all.

It replied before leaving, Jerome watching the droid go with a raised brow.

Jerome: I'm surprised Niner doesn't give you any sass.

R4: Beep boooop.

Obi-wan: Indeed, it does know better.

He replied, patting the droid's head as the Jedi rose, offering Jerome a hand. Taking his master's offer, Jerome wobblily stood up, grip still firmly placed in Obi-wan's as Niner returned a few moments.

Niner: Pants and other garments acquired; shall we leave to allow for your changing, sir?

Jerome: If you don't mind, just set them on the bed, please.

Jerome asked, to which his loyal companion nodded, setting down a white tea and black pants. Bracing himself against the bedframe with his free hand, the older Padawan released his master's hand, with General Kenobi tensely watching for a few moments less the shaky legs Jerome stood buckled. Though with the pacing of a few seconds, Jerome managed to keep his feet under himself, giving his master a slight nod.

Jerome: I'll be out in a second if you don't mind.

Obi-wan: Not at all. I'll be on the other side of the curtain, and from there, we'll decide what to do for training today.

Jerome: Alright, just probably nothing too wild. My legs still feel a little like jelly.

Obi-wan: Of course.

He said, walking out as Jerome slowly removed the gown and looked himself over, marveling at the work done by the medical liquid, having left no decriable scars across his body.

Jerome: Truly a saving grace to the Galaxy.

Niner: From records, it is indeed a potent resource. However, one that could be leveled against a foe if supple lines were cut from Thyferra. But I suppose that if for all specialized resources.

Jerome: Yeah, which is why getting access through Hutt space was so important, even if it cost me all this pain.

He muttered, slipping into his new attire before returning his sabers inside the compartment upon R4's front. Then afterward, once joining up with Master Kenobi, the four made their way through the halls of the Venator, the corridors fairly open as they passed by a few patrolling clone guards and personnel making their rounds. Though eventually, they arrived in a large room near the crew quarters. Stepping inside, Jerome saw it took some semblance of the Jedi temple on Coruscant.

Jerome: Is this your room master?

Kenobi: Indeed, after what Ahsoka informed me of your 'control' of levitation, I think that is where we shall begin tempering your connection to the Force. Take a seat wherever.

Gesturing to the space before him, Jerome did as instructed, sitting down against the steely grey wall of the quarters, R4 taking a spot next to his owner while popping open his hatch once more.

Jerome: Thanks, bud.

He mussed, patting the droid as he grabbed his sabers and set them before his crossed legs. Now moving a few feet before the young man, Obi-wan unclipped the saber from his belt and took a position like his Padawan.

Obi-wan: Now, I would like you to try and levitate your saber a few feet off the ground, then keep it there.

Jerome: Uh, but you heard what Ahsoka said, so-

Obi-wan: What she said, but I need to see it for myself, now, if you may?

He asked, gesturing to the sabers before his charge. Exhaling heavily, Jerome slowly reached down and picked up his silver saber, thoughts of the images bubbled within the back of his mind, yet he closed his eyes, focusing instead on the energy within him. Slowly, the Padawan felt the energy pulse through his body, traveling down the length of his right arm, through the tips of his fingers, willing his intentions into being.

Shuttering within his grasp, Jerome opened his eyes to see the saber slowly begin to levitate, rising a few inches off his palm, then as he willed it to go higher, unintentionally flinging it suddenly into the air. Cursing under his breath, Jerome ceased his actions and flailed, snagging the bottom of the hilt and somehow managing to stay seated, if only just as he bumped his shoulder harshly against R4 as he stabilized, earning a harsh whistle from the droid.

Jerome: Ow! Sorry, sorry, R4. My bad.

He grunted, rubbing his sore arm while looking toward Obi-wan—remnants of the tingling permeating through his right appendage.

Jerome: Well, there you go. You saw what happened.

Obi-wan: Indeed, now tell me, what did you feel when levitating it?

Jerome: Um, typical?

He replied with a pause, cocking his head to the side as Obi-wan sighed, the older man shaking his head.

Obi-wan: Not in general, Jerome. What did you feel when levitating your saber, trying to keep it afloat in the air?

Obi-wan asked again. This time, Jerome's face contorted into an inner reflection. Placing the saber down, the young man slowly brought up his left hand, placing it near the center of his chest, before tracing a line up his torso, then down the length of his right arm.

Jerome: Kind of a stream of power. Every time I've tried to push or pull things, and I guess levitating too, I can feel this energy pooling in my core, then traveling to the intended point on my body, which leaves a tingling feeling afterward. Do you feel that when you use the Force?

He asked, watching as the older man shrugged. Obi-wan picked up his saber and, without much visible effort, levitated it a foot off the base of his palm.

Obi-wan: No, it's different for me. My master once told me that in the old days, Jedi interpreted the force differently from individual to individual. I feel it is like everyone else in the Order does, given we have all undergone the same basic training.

Jerome: Huh, and given I haven't gone through any of that, my abilities are like a torrent?

Obi-wan: If that is how you wish to see it, you're a special case. With Anakin, he was but nine when inducted into the Order. He had years to learn our ways, but you do not have that luxury. Perhaps, try to restrict the flow somehow?

Obi-wan suggested, bringing his saber back to rest. Jerome hummed a bit, picking up the lightsaber once more as he spoke.

Jerome: Restrict the flow? Hmm, like how a water nozzle confines water to a particular path for different effects.

Obi-wan: Let's start with that and work from there.

Nodding, Jerome held his arm steady, closing his eyes as he slowly let the saber levitate. Once again, it sat a few inches above his palm. However, as he willed it to move higher, his mind focused on the power surging through his body, and as he felt it course through his arm, he 'tightened' his muscles, slowing the flow. With the soft beeps of the astromech beside him, Jerome opened his eyes, a gleeful smile adorning his face as the saber now levitated a foot off his palm.

Jerome: Hey, look at that. Maybe I'm not so-ah!?

He yelped, as the saber shot up again, yet less forceful than the last, falling back into his hand. A low robotic chuckle erupted from Niner, Jerome glaring at the droid as it made a particular hand gesture towards him with its pointer and thumb.

Niner: You were this close, sir.

Jerome: Cheeky bugger, but you aren't wrong.

He said, looking at his weapon with a warmth filling his chest.

Obi-wan: Focus is vital to use the Force for your techniques, so please continue this training whenever you have time. Tempering your 'torrent' will only help in tuning your abilities.

Obi-wan said, placing his weapon before himself as his Padawan nodded. The young man let out a soft exhale before, once again, slowly letting his saber rise above his palm, the previous excitement remaining only in a gentle smile.

Jerome: Yeah, even with space magic, practice makes perfect.

He muttered, slowly reaching up and tapping his floating blade, watching it spin lazily above his palm. The room grew quiet for, but the low metallic hum of the droids, the two Jedi watching as the younger slowly made changes over time, letting rise and fall, spin in different directions, to eventually a failed attempt to have both his sabers float at once. Jerome caught both before looking up at his master as he rose from the floor.

Obi-wan: Well, I believe that will cover training for today. Once you're feeling up to it, we'll begin dueling again. If Zar comes after you again, I'm not sure, for a third time, that I will be there to save you.

Jerome: Of course, but can I ask you something? It's been on my mind for a little while.

Jerome asked, setting his sabers inside R4's chassis. Obi-wan looked back at his Padawan with a nod as he placed his lightsaber in a bedside cubby.

Obi-wan: Please, ask away. What's on your mind?

The master inquired as his apprentice looked down at his own hands.

Jerome: Why doesn't the Jedi allow for relationships? The Council said my father broke a core rule by my existence. Why is that the case?

Obi-wan: That is something I thought you would bring up at some point. For the Order, the way of the Jedi is a distraction-free life. We're peacekeepers and neutral parties. We cannot be tied to anything less we become compelled to fall to the dark side.

He said, a faint glint in his eyes drawing the young man's attention, but it only appeared for a moment as he sat at his bedside.

Obi-wan: It doesn't mean that your father fell, clearly if he left to protect you from the Sith Lord after him, but attachments of love are forbidden.

Jerome: Really? But that seems kinda...no offense but, dumb. I'm sorry...I don't understand that.

Obi-wan: .....you're new to all of this, trust me. The Order has its reasons.

He muttered as Jerome shook his head a little and crossed his arms.

Jerome: I'm sure they do but from an 'outside' perspective. I think it would just drive you to an extreme. We're 'human', not machines like Niner or R4. We'll always have preferences or misgivings and different life experiences; I'm sure it's a noble goal to reach neutrality, but....the Jedi are leading armies, and I'm not sure how 'neutral' that is.

Obi-wan: Yes, yes, you're right on that. But, I'll still do my best to teach you the ways of the Order. But for now, you should check on your troops.

Jerome: Of course, I'll see you later then, master,

He said, giving his mentor a slight bow before he headed through the door, his droid companions at his sides. Leaving Master Kenobi to stare at the doorway, even after the boy had left his room, the older man shook his head as he looked up at the ceiling, a sense of familiarity of youth washing over his mind.

Obi-wan: He certainly is your child, old friend. I hope I can keep him safe, for your sake.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

130 1 11
A boy from an unknown planet is taken in by the Jedi and trained in the Force. He faces trials and along the way, learns of a dark secret that could...
319 2 5
- Y/n, an ex-Sith become Jedi, and Rex, a Captain in the Grand Army of the Republic. How can a relationship like theirs work? Yet alone work on the b...
6K 144 14
Twenty years after the events that ended the clone wars Anakin and (y/n) Skywalker are lost in hiding while the galaxy struggles against the rule of...
4K 236 34
𝐼 𝓃𝑒𝑒𝒹 𝒻𝓇𝑒𝑒𝒹𝑜𝓂 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓂𝓎 𝓂𝒾𝓃𝒹, 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑜𝓇𝒹𝑒𝓇, 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝓂𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉. Joseta Pro'oz, a pilot/medic wit...