Aquarius

By Sparkle_Mama

This story follows a young Atlantean girl named Loco, as her life is turned upside when something magical hap... More

Oc info
Gifted
Downtime
Taking Initiative
Settling in

Big Opportunity

175 7 4
By Sparkle_Mama

Loco stood in front of the door of the headmaster's office, her heart was hammering, she didn't know whether to swim away or pass out, this had to be about un-petrifying the dolphin yesterday, what else could it be?

Actually... it could be quite a few things. Being late for classes because she lost track of time playing in the kelp reefs, sneaking out past curfew, accidentally causing small explosions...

Loco realised she got into a lot more trouble than she thought, how could she even cause an explosion anyway? They were underwater.

Before she had time to contemplate further, she found herself knocking on the door, it was followed by a slightly muffled "Come in" from the other side. She entered and she completely froze, seeing the King and Queen sitting right across from the headmaster.

"Loco, thank you for coming." The headmaster greeted. "I believe you already know, King Orin and Queen Mera." The royal couple turned to the young girl with kind smiles.

"I-it's nice to meet you, your majesties." Loco greeted shyly with a small bow. The king couldn't help a small chuckle.

"It is nice to meet you as well child." He reciprocated.

"Loco, their highness's would like to have a word with you." The headmaster explained, Loco felt like heart was about to explode out of her chest. "I will just leave you to it." With that, the headmaster left the room, leaving the three of them alone.

A brief silence overcame the three. This was torture, every second felt like an eternity, Loco couldn't take it anymore.

"I'm so sorry about the statue your majesties, I-I didn't mean—I-I was just-"

"Loco, Loco." She felt a hand on her shoulder. "We're not upset, we're impressed." That made Loco look up in surprise.

"Very few Atlantean sorcerers have the power to undo a petrification spell." Mera explained.

"Really?"

"Yes, which is why we have an offer for you." Loco's eyes gleamed at the king's words.

(Poseidonis)

At the royal palace, Mera showed Loco around, her mind was completely blown away, she never thought in her entire life she'd set foot in here, but she was, and it was even more spectacular than she dreamed, and everyone they passed was so nice.

She kept on looking around in awe until they came to a stop at a door.

"I hope this room agrees with you." Mera opened the door, revealing the most luxurious room Loco had ever seen, the bed alone made her jaw drop, it was massive.

"Are you serious? You could fit my old room in here twice!" Loco squealed, rolling around in her new bed with glee.

"I'm glad you like it." Mera smiled warmly.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" Loco swam over and wrapped Mera in a grateful hug, it caught the queen off guard, Loco then pulled back in realisation.

"I-I'm sorry your majesty." She apologised.

"No, no, it's alright Loco." The queen reassured her with another warm smile. "This is your home as well now, we want you to feel comfortable here. And there's no need for that "your majesty" nonsense, simply call me Mera."

Loco hesitated for a moment.

"I don't really feel comfortable calling you that, how about Queen Mera?"

"Very well." Mera chuckled. "I'll leave you get settled, if there is anything you need just ask."

"I will, thank you Queen Mera." With that, Mera left, leaving Loco to enjoy the splendor of her new room.

Later that night, Loco couldn't stop tossing and turning in bed, sleep was a complete stranger to her right now, it's not that she had trouble staying in a new place, it was just... she couldn't explain it, it was just too... quiet.

Sighing, she got up and went outside to the balcony, staring at the glowing city of Poseidonis, she still couldn't believe it, she was actually being accepted into The Conservatory of Sorcery, years before she became of age for selection, and the royal family was letting her stay at the palace, right in the capital of Atlantis.

It was safe to say she was little overwhelmed.

Loco felt her hands begin to shake slightly as her nerves became rattled, she tried to take deep breaths, but even they were rattled, nothing was working.
Until she remembered the song her mother sang to her when she was scared.

She managed to take a clear breath and she sang.

Being alone in this place,
Knowing that soon, I'll be home and I pray

As we share forever and grow together

Facing so much everyday,
I'm closer right now, but still so far away

But I won't surrender,
'Cause I remember

Shine, shine your light on me,
This love we share, will set us free

Though I'm far from home,
And will always be

This is our destiny

Loco finished, her head was clear and she had stopped shaking, that song worked every time, it always felt like her mother was right there singing with her, it also apparently helped her to become tired, because a yawn escaped her mouth.

She went back inside to sleep, tomorrow was big day after all.

(The next morning)

"Welcome to The Conservatory of Sorcery." Queen Mera announced, Loco was starstruck. She'd always heard about the conservatory, but she never imagined anything like this.

Students swimming to and fro perfecting their spells, training, magical lights everywhere, it was just... wow.

"Your majesty." Loco heard a new voice, she turned to where it came from and he saw a young squid man swimming towards them.

"Ah, Topo, Loco this is Topo." Queen Mera introduced. "He's one of your new classmates and he'll be your guide until you can fully orient yourself." She explained.

"It's nice to meet you Loco." Topo greeted

"You too Topo, hey our names rhyme!"

"Yes they do." The two shared a giggle.

"I'll leave you two to get more acquainted, and I will see you in class." Queen Mera took her leave, leaving the pair alone.

"Anyway, here's your schedule." Topo handed her a scroll, she opened it to see what lessons she had ahead of her.

"Wow I have quite the day." She commented.

"Luckily we have most of them together, so you shouldn't have much trouble navigating this place while I'm here."

"I'm glad to hear that." Loco smiled.

"So, shall I give you the tour?" Topo asked.

"I would love that."

As tour went, Loco couldn't help but notice some of the other students give her odd stares and started whispering as they passed by.

"Is it me or is everyone staring?" She voiced her concern to Topo.

"I wouldn't worry about it too much, you're actually kind of the talk of the school." He explained.

"Really?"

"Yes, it's not everyday someone un-petrifies a statue."

"So I've heard." Loco mumbled.

"Not to mention you're possibly one of the youngest students ever to attend."

"Yeah I guess there's that too." Neither of them could stop a laugh from coming up.

"Well, well, if it isn't the new little fish." A large shark man spoke in a gruff voice as he approached, just looking at him made Loco shrink.

"Nanaue, please don't do this now." Topo pleaded.

"This doesn't involve you chum!" With one swipe of his hand the shark sent the squid into a wall, it cracked slightly from the impact.

"Topo!" Loco tried to rush to him, but Nanaue's giant hand slammed in between them, Loco squeaked in fear.

"P-please N-Nanaue-"

"It's King Shark to you shrimp!" He shouted. Loco was backed up into the rock behind her.

"So from what I've heard, your power is quite strong. Let's see how strong it is."
Loco couldn't stop looking at his mouth full of serrated teeth, she felt completely froze with fear.

"Leave her alone King Shark." Another new voice came from above them.

King Shark backed away and a boy with black hair and a girl with reddish hair swam in front of her, facing the giant shark.

"Antagonising someone smaller than you Nanaue? Why am I not surprised." The girl said.

"Come now chums , I was simply having fun with the little shrimp." King replied nonchalantly.

"Well, you'll have your fun somewhere else, or go through me first, chum." The boy said in a cautionary tone, his arms lighting up, an energy ball in his hand.

King Shark scowled, then swam away with a growl.

"Are you alright?" The girl asked with a kind smile

"I-I'm fine." Loco reassured. "I just- *gasp* Topo!" She rushed over to Topo, who shakily stood up, the other two following not far behind.

"Topo, are you ok?" Loco asked in concern.

"Yes, I'm fine." He answered, Loco looked him over, and let out a small gasp when she saw his arm.

"Your bleeding!" She exclaimed.

"It's nothing." He deflected.

"Don't be silly, let me look." Loco took Topo's arm and placed her hand over the cut, the magenta glow returning as she focused.

She moved her hand when she was done, and the injury was gone, as if it was never there, apart from the tear in his clothes.

"Remarkable." The dark haired man murmured.

"Better?" Loco enquired.

"Much, thank you Loco."

"Anytime." She smiled, then turned to the strangers.

"I'm sorry I forgot to thank you, uh..."

"My name is Tula, this is Garth." Tula gestured to Garth and he nodded.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Loco." She introduced herself.

"What a lovely name." Tula said.

"Who was that anyway?"

Both of them and Topo gained a look of resignation.

"That was Nanaue, or King Shark, don't take anything he says or does personally, he picks on everyone."

"He's just trying to see how tough you are." Topo chimed in.

"Well I failed that miserably." Loco commented.

"I don't think so, he wouldn't try intimidate you if he didn't think you weren't powerful."

"True, turning something back to flesh from stone and healing wounds by just touching them is an impressive feat, especially at such a young age, how old are you."

"I'm 8." Tula and Garth paused for a moment in slight surprise.

"Something tells me everyone in class is going to want to know you."

"Oh sea foam! We need to get to class!" Loco exclaimed.

"She's right." Topo agreed.

"We could come with you to make sure no one else bothers you." Garth offered.

"I'd like that very much, thank you Garth." Garth nodded with a smile.

"Well let's not wait for the kelp to grow, or you're gonna be late for your first class."

With that the small group swam away together, Loco smiled, practically radiating joy, she was going to learn how to master her magic and she already had what started to look like the beginning of a friendship with Tula, Garth and Topo.

"I think I'm gonna like it here." She thought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.7K 552 12
Where the Young Avengers get stuck in the universe of the Young Justice squad.
9.1K 318 14
Young Justice Fanfic After her first mission is successful, everything goes down hill. She loses her best friend, meets clones, gets dragged back to...
2.6K 104 23
A young justice fan fiction story based on our OCs Two girls discover their destinies in the strangest and probably harshest way possible. Both were...
200K 7.4K 19
After the Death of the Flying Graysons, Richard Grayson is missing. Batman goes to investigate Tony Zucco and meets a young vigilante going by, Robin...