// Yukihira Soma x Reader //

By -mustbelove

You were abandoned by your family and left on the streets until Soma's dad found you. Now you live with them... More

~ Disclaimer ~
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
29
30
31
32

28

874 41 13
By -mustbelove

..

I've decided that I officially want to Kill Soma Yukihira. His murder is going to be one of great skill and technique. I'm going to make him suffer.

Not only for waking me up just to not even compliment me on the stupid hair clip I put on, but making me smell fish guts, too. And for him to even have the audacity to lay his head on my shoulder and look into my eyes all sweetly on the way—

I hear a knock at the door, and I stop my internal monologue. Who the hell is knocking at my door? I get up angrily and open. It's him. He grabs my shoulders and widens his eyes. I'm taken aback and confused.

"Come with me now." He said. He let go of me. Before I can even process what just happened, he grabs my hand and drags me to Polar Star's kitchen.

I see Ibusaki, Mito, Megumi, and Ryoko. Oh, I thought it was something important. He had me scared for a second.

"Sorry for asking you all to come here." His eyes look at all of them until they land on me. I give him a look to say "what's up", but he just turns away.

"What's going on, Yukihira-kun?" Ryoko asks.

"Not this again." Mito groans.

"You have no chance of winning unless you can get the best Pacific saury on the day of the match, right?" I look at Ibusaki who's on my left and then back at Soma.

"I'm not going to go to the fish market in the morning." Soma says unexpectedly.

"What do you mean, Soma-kun?" Megumi questions.

"I'll go buy my pacific saury a couple of days before the match. I won't have much time to experiment, but if I succeed, at the match itself, I can have Pacific saury that surpasses what the season has to offer!"

"So you mean..."

"I'm going to age the fish!"

"I see. Ibusaki is a master in smoking." I say, looking over at Ibusaki on my left. He gives me a small smile before I continue, "And Ryoko specializes in rice malt. They're both experts in aging methods."

"Nikumi is an expert, too." He meets my eyes, before looking over at Mito. "You're up to speed on trendy aged meats, aren't you?"

"Yeah. You're talking about aged beef? It involves controlling the temperature and humidity while air-drying and resting meat." Mito explains.

"The flavor of ingredients isn't necessarily dependent on freshness. If I can succeed in aging the fish to bring out its umami, I bet I can compete with their ability to judge fish! So, can you guys please help me?"

Everyone says yes to Soma, including me, but I don't hear anything from Ibusaki. I nudge him on his shoulder and he faces me.

"You'll help too, right, Ibusaki-kun?" I ask, with a smile, hoping he'll say yes.

"Well, sure, I guess." He says quietly. I look at Soma, still with a smile on my face. His eyes are on Ibusaki. He looks at me and gives a short smile.

"All right! Let's start testing!" He shouts.

9 Days Until the Match

We're all in the kitchen and Soma stands with Ibusaki and Mito on either of his sides. Ryoko is on Ibusaki's right. Megumi and I are standing behind them. The fish sits in an icebox in front of us and there's a pan and a bowl.

"I'll try three aging methods. Salted rice malt, smoking, and a high-humidity refrigerator." He explains, before looking at Mito. "Thanks for lending this to me, Nikumi."

"I-it's nothing!" She stutters. I notice how her face is pink and she looks disheveled all of a sudden. The thought that she likes Soma crosses my mind again. I shake it off and look away from them. I'd rather not think about that. Let's focus on the fish.

"About the aging period, it's best to let it rest at least three days." Ryoko says.

"I'd say about the same length of time for smoking. Drying and salting take two days, and curing will take one whole day." Ibusaki says.

"The fridge will also finish the job in about three, four days." Mito adds.

"I see. With those timelines, you can test each method twice." Megumi says.

"Yeah, but only twice." Soma turns around to look at Megumi. "Will that be enough to surpass their ability to judge fish? It'll be intense."

6 Days Until the Match

"The pacific saury tests are all done!" Soma says, handing us all chopsticks.

It's been 3 days and we're all back together in the kitchen. All the fish has finished aging and we're about to test them and see which one has the best flavor.

We all use our chopsticks to try the fish one at a time. It's too soon to say which one has the best flavor because they're all great.

"They're all great! All of them have vastly improved umami." I exclaim.

The pickled fish has an amazing mellow flavor, but the smoked one has the best fragrance. The one that aged in high humidity conditions seems to have the ability to be used in a lot of different ways. We all agree on the fact that no matter if the fish is baked in foil, marinated, or broiled, or even made into sushi, it sounds good.

"But.. I still think Kurokiba-kun's Pacific saury back at the fish market tasted better." Megumi says. I can't help but be silent because she's right. All the ones we did were good, but Kurokiba was great.

"Yeah, I thought so." Soma says softly. I can't help but feel somewhat sad seeing the defeated expression on Soma's face. I place my chopsticks down on the table and sigh.

..

It's dark out and Mito and I are at the entrance of Polar Star. She's just about to leave before she turns around to me. I'm surprised as she looks like she did earlier. Her face is tinted pink and she looks shy.

"Hey, Y/N. Tell Yukihira something for me. He can call me if he ever needs help." She says quietly. I feel my stomach drop at an instant. I can't even pretend to smile and say okay because I hear the words in my head "Mito likes Soma". At least I think she does. I want to confirm it with her but she would obviously say no. I force my face to smile and say okay.

"Good night, Mito." She walks away and I drop the smile. I drop my head down and look at my toes. I try not to get sad but I can't help it. I close the doors to Polar Star and lean against them, thinking.

I like Soma, I can't deny that. Even though I've tried for a really long time.

When I was younger, I was so expressive, I probably said I love you to Soma at least 5 times a day. But he never said it back. I was okay with him never saying it back. Because somewhere deep down, I thought he would eventually. 

I just never thought about someone else feeling that way about him. And if he ever would say it to someone else. I think about Mito telling him her feelings and him accepting her with open arms, even saying I love you back. I can't help but let my mind race. Or even him saying his feelings to her. A lump forms in my throat and I try to swallow it.

I feel pathetic all of a sudden. I can't even get over this silly crush. I could have met a handsome billionaire and he could fall in love with me at first sight. 

Or a good-looking bad boy who only has a soft spot for me. But no. I fell for the guy I've known since I was five. Yukihira Soma, the bane of my existence.

And now I'm about to cry. I've been crying so much lately. I thought I stopped that years ago. There's no reason for me to cry other than my thoughts. But my thoughts are so bad and..

A tear just fell from my eyes. Oh no. I'm actually crying?

I rush from the entrance of Polar Star, keeping my head down so no one sees me crying. Soma is still in the kitchen so I make sure not to look at him when I pass by. I'm now rushing up the stairs before I crash into something. Or someone. I look up to see Isshiki.

"Y/N? What are you– why are you crying?" I try to go the other way but he stops me. I turned back around at him, annoyed.

"No reason." I look away, wiping my eyes.

He says oh inaudibly and pats my shoulder.

"Is it because of?" He mouths Soma's name and I nod. "Oh. I'm sorry, Y/N. What happened?"

"Nothing but my thoughts." I press my lips together. He lets out a laugh but quickly stops.

"Hey, it's not funny. It's kind of embarrassing."

"Nothing is embarrassing about the way you feel, Y/N." He tells me sternly. I roll my eyes. "Come here."

He opens his arms, initiating a hug. I notice he's wearing clothes for the first time in his life so I don't reject the hug. And I won't admit it, but it kind of felt nice. I don't normally receive a lot of hugs, if any, so this is kind of sweet. I feel better and pull away to smile at Isshiki.

"Thanks, Isshiki. I feel a little better. Still dying inside though." His eyes aren't on me but they're looking out past me. "What are you looking at?"

I look back but there's nothing there.

"Oh. I thought I saw a bat or something." He looks back at me, scratching his head, and returns my smile. My jaw drops and I look around, ducking. A bat? I knew Polar Star was haunted!

"I'm getting out of here. Anyway, where are you going?" I ask.

"The kitchen. I'm thirsty."

"Oh, Soma's down there. Just so you know. And he's thinking hard so it's best not to bother him." Isshiki smiles, looking down.

"Okay. I won't."

"Bye, goodnight."

"Good night, Y/N."

..

Day of the Match

I woke up finally feeling refreshed. The previous days I woke up with a puffy face and no will to get out of bed. But today is different. Today I have adrenaline coursing through my veins. Today is the day of the epic showdown between Soma, Kurokiba, and Hayama.

"It's the Fall Elections Finals! The three candidates will enter the arena!" The announcer says. I'm sitting next to Yuki and Ryoko in a section where the lights aren't as blinding.

"The Prince of Aroma, Candidate Hayama Akira!" We all watch as Hayama exits the tunnel. He has a serious, almost scary, expression on his face.

"The Dictator of the Kitchen, Candidate Kurokiba Ryo!" Kurokiba has a similar serious expression on his face as Hayama.

"And the third, from the downtown diner, Candidate Yukihira Soma!" I hear my section burst out into cheers and I do the same.

"You can do it! I believe in you!" I hear Mito say. I twitch in annoyance.

"We'll now begin the Fall Election Finals!"

I notice Isshiki standing in front of the judges panel as he holds the microphone to his mouth, beginning to speak. "Allow me to introduce to you our honored judges today."

I hear Ryoko say it's hard to recognize him with clothes on and I laugh.

"Forget that. Did Yukihira finish developing his dish?" I hear Mito say. I twitch in annoyance again. I press my lips together, turning around to face her, and try not to think, keeping my head clear.

"Well, none of us actually knows." Ryoko responds. I don't know if he did either. But Soma always finds a way so I'm worried.

"First, serving as the chair is Academy Director Nakiri Senzaemon-dono. Executive Chef of Totsuki Resort and head of the tourism division, Dojima Gin-senpai. And we have one more: the head of Nakiri International Totsuki's research division, Nakiri Leonora-dono!"

The Nakiri that steps forward is beautiful. She looks European and a bit like Alice but an older and sophisticated version. Alice confirms that it is her mom and Yuki is shocked.

"Leonora-dono leads Nakiri International, an academic institute that conducts research on gourmet food and molecular gastronomy using cutting edge technology. Would you be so kind as to say a few words?" Isshiki hands the mic over to her. I notice a shift as me and everybody else lean forward in their seats, anticipating what she's going to say.

"G–Good day, everyone! I am Nakiri Leonora, yes. I live in Denmark! Judging feels hard, but I'll try my best!" I quickly noticed right away that her Japanese is terrible. Alice runs to the stage and yells at her mom. It seems like a whole family reunion as Erina joins them too.

"You're Yukihira-kun, who defeated my daughter?" The elder Nakiri faces Soma and my eyes widen. "I was big surprised! That's why I'm looking forward to your dish, okay." She takes a seat at one of the judge chairs and her whole demeanor changes. "If it's not good, I might get mad-angry!"

..

...

....

All the contestants take out their sauries and I can't help but deadpan at Soma's. Kurokiba and Hayama's look fresh, like they just got caught out 10 minutes ago. And Soma's... it looks dead and brown. It doesn't look as appetizing since he chose to age his fish.

"Honored guests, the time for the Fall Selection Grand Finale to begin is almost here! Please look up at the ceiling!" Isshiki announces. They turn off all the stage lights. I look up and stare in awe at the ceiling beginning to open up. The moonlight shines down on the three contestants. "The cooking time in the grand finale will span approximately two hours. This is the time it takes from the moment the moon appears in full, traverses across the skies, and becomes hidden once more."

It's times like these where I remember I'm going to a school for the elite. Even after all the hardships Soma and I have faced, we're still here. And he's on that stage, fighting to win the Fall Selection.

"Ready.. Let the cooking begin!"

All 3 contestants begin prepping their ingredients but my eyes are focused only on Soma. He looks pretty in the moonlight– I mean, he does, but that's not the focus here.

The moon is halfway across the sky now. That means there is less than an hour left now and it seems like they're finishing up their dishes. Oh. Kurokiba is done with his. His dishes are in bags. He carries them on plates to the judges. The light illuminates him. It gives the whole thing a special effect.

He presents them to the judges. They untie the red ribbon holding the bag together and steam exits. The judges taste his saury and they all look pleased. At least that's what I can assume from all the way over here.

"It's in season... but how could he create such richness in flavor with little seasoning?" Dojima says.

The judges murmur among themselves until Nakiri Senzaemon says, "The scent coming from the dish.. It's herbs."

"That's right." Ryo confirms and explains that he used herb butter.

After he explained, Alice's mother spoke in perfect Japanese and the director went bare- chested. I can pretty much also assume that Soma is screwed unless he can manage to make Alice's mother sing in Japanese and get the director to go fully naked.

"Next, Hayama will serve his dish!"

Hayama walks up carrying a tray. We all inch forward again to see what he's serving the judges. He made an antipasto dish, I hear others say. It's a light dish only meant as an appetizer so I wonder why he chose this.

Suddenly, he brings out a blowtorch which means he's planning on torching the surface. Everyone is shocked as we all get a good view of the dish.

"My dish is Seared Pacific Saury Carpaccio!" I hear gasps from everyone. People are saying it's delicious without even trying it. It's believable because the dish became completely different after the fish was seared. The judges don't hesitate another second to dig in.

He only used allspice to season the dish. That's surprising to hear since I thought he would use multiple to create a perfect aroma. He explains that he brushed a kaeshi sauce over the fish before serving to create the powerful fragrance. It's an all-purpose seasoning for most Japanese dishes.

It's finally time for Soma to present his dish before the judges. There's a powerful steam coming from the dish and all the judges smile.

"It's Salted Rice Bran Pacific Saury Rice." Soma says. I hear murmurs from the audience. I smile along with the others. It looks delicious. He serves it to them in separate bowls. They use their chopsticks to eat it. They all look delighted and I am even more forward in my seat.

Alice's mother says that it's on par with the other two saury. I cheer in my head and watch all the judges' reactions closely. Dojima says he's impressed by how much he improved the flavor just from this method.

"I took a big risk. It was a race against time! I bought as many high-quality Pacific saury from the fish market as I could and kept testing aging methods. Of course, I tried and improved other aging methods than salted rice bran too. It was hard to make something that could compete with top-quality Pacific saury in season, but I finally found one that was satisfactory right before the match. That was this fish, aged using salted rice bran!" Soma said.

The audience breaks out into cheers and I join along, smiling happily at Soma.

Soma asks the judges to have seconds but Dojima tries to continue on. He brings out something else and continues urging the judges to have seconds. He has a pot in his hand with something white inside? A soup?

Nakiri Senzaemon is the first to bring his bowl forward and says, "Let's have seconds." They all follow after him, putting out their bowls. He pours the white soup over the saury rice.

"There, honored judges. This is my Pacific saury dish: Porridge-Style Pacific Saury Rice. Enjoy!"

They all try it and there's silence for a second until the director breaks out of his shirt again! The crowd cheers at Nakiri Senzaemon going bare chested. We find out the white soup is soy milk.

"I gradually added miso and just a touch of Parmesan cheese to the soy milk, then slowly simmered it until the soup became warm." I get it. He used the soy milk as the broth and built the dish on that. He added pickled plums to the dish.

Alice's mom begins speaking in perfect Japanese again. I guess all hope is not lost. She says it reminds her of meeting her love. I look at Soma and smile.

People doubt him and I for being transfer students saying that we need to stick at the diner and be where we're meant to be. The difference between Soma and I is that he doesn't even hear them. 

Even with people who are supposedly better than him at cooking, he doesn't stop the battle, he faces it head on. All the times I've teased him for losing to Joichiro, I've just been secretly jealous. He has determination I can't muster now. And I'm glad to see that other people are now acknowledging him. That they are finally seeing him how I see him. Amazing.

..

...

....

Hayama, Soma, and Kurokiba stand side by side before Nakiri Senzaemon. You could cut the tension in the room with a knife. This is the final result. I cross my fingers.

"First, well done. Each of you presented your unique strengths well, in a clash befitting the grand finale. First, regarding your cooking techniques, all three of you are on par. Next, regarding your ability to judge ingredient quality, Kurokiba and Hayama are clearly exceptional. They made the perfect choices when selecting their Pacific saury. However, Yukihira has closed the gap through his creativity. His inventiveness is exceptional among the three!" 

My crossed fingers have now turned into clenched fists. I might fall off my seat at this point.

"Even more surprisingly, all three dishes had flavors that were nearly equal. However,the deciding factor was how well the dish reflected the chef as an individual." Senzaemon explained.

"A dish brimming with originality allows you to picture the chef in your mind just by tasting the dish." Alice's mother adds.

"Put differently, it's a dish with originality that only one specific chef could've created it. As a sign of respect, we call such a dish the chef's specialty." Dojima says.

"The one who deserves victory is the chef who best pursued his own cooking! The chef who truly sought what his cooking should look like! And that person's name is..."

Everybody goes silent as Senzaemon is about to announce the winner. I unbunch my fists and cross my fingers.

"The victor is... HAYAMA AKIRA!"

I let out the breath I was holding and my head dropped. Damn it. Soma lost. It's understandable. I pick my head back up and look at Soma before my eyes reach Hayama. 

Shiomi Jun walks up to him with tears in her eyes as she cleans her glasses. He hugs her and the audience gasps. I watch them curiously.

My eyes trail back to Soma. I look for any sort of disappointment or anger. He looks thoughtful rather than emotional. He walks over to Hayama. And Kurokiba follows. They both try Hayama's dish on the floor. Hayama joins them and I wonder what they're talking about

"Tonight, another gem has been made!" Senzaemon shouts. Everyone starts clapping so I do too even though I'm still a bit salty Soma lost. I'm proud that he got this far.

..

"Soma-kun, that was really good work!" Megumi exclaims, looking at Soma. I watch him silently with a smile from behind.

"Okay, tonight, we celebrate Yukihira finishing second! Let's party!" Yuki shouts.

"Yeah! In Marui's room."

"Why is it always my room?"

Soma stops and pulls out his phone.

"Sorry, guys you go ahead!" Before I can even say a word, he runs away at full speed. I say bye to the others and run after him.

I finally catch up to him and he's on the phone with Joichiro.

"Dad, I'm glad I left Yukihira. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have noticed all these things."

I falter with my hands on my knees. I let out a big gasp because I'm out of breath and he turns around, looking at me with wide eyes.

"Oh, Y/N." He says. "Dad, Y/N is here."

He hands me the phone and I try to catch my breath before I speak.

"Hey, Joichiro. Yeah, I know he lost. Second place." I give Soma a sly smile and he squints at me. "I'll talk to you later." I hand the phone back to Soma and walk over to a tree I can stand against.

"Dad, I'm going to explore the kind of cooking only I can do. If I don't do that, there's no point in carrying on the family business." He turns around and walks towards me. He stands against the tree opposite of me. "Now that I've said it, that doesn't sound that different from what I've been doing already."

I hear Joichiro's loud yawn through the phone and I snort. He hangs up the phone and Soma looks shocked. He meets my eyes and I feel uncomfortable out of nowhere.

"Soma." I say his name for some reason even though I have nothing to say. "You.. you looked cool." I mustered up some words to say but I immediately regret it seeing how his eyebrows raised.

"But, too bad you only got second place. After all of that hard work. It's really a shame." I try to cover up my compliment with teasing. His face changes back to normal and he walks over to me.

"Shut up, Y/N. At least I reached second place."

"But you didn't reach first place."

Just like that, I forget the discomfort from earlier and we go back into our normal routine as we join the others on the way to Polar Star.

..

I'm really sorry for how long you guys have to wait for chapters from me. I'm a really big procrastinator lol buttt i will finish this story no matter what so don't worry :)

Taylor out,

xoxo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9K 260 21
Chisaya Fuichi is a 2nd year student in Totsuki Academy and Eizan Etsuya is one of her close friends. Everything was going smoothly until Nakiri Azam...
3.4K 53 17
It is after the Regimental Food War and (y/n) is a student at Totsuki Academy. She was invited to join the council of ten by Soma Yukihira, Erina Nak...
421K 15.7K 102
A girl, brought by Nakamura Azami into the world of culinary, a girl who can tell by her unique eyes the flavor of any palate, however she herself do...
999K 38.4K 108
Shokugeki no Soma Various x Female Reader. It was a normal day for you, Quarantine was really boring and it was already 7 in the morning. You just ma...