Dangerously Sweet (MxM)

By httpskelso

Kalen Davis has recently opened a new cafe, which was possible after a series of unfortunate events in his li... More

Author Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Character Profiles
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Character Q&A
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Author Note
Chapter 15
Chapter 16

Chapter 2

2.4K 82 72
By httpskelso

Kalen Davis

The mysterious man began visiting every day after that and it has been over two weeks now. He always made sure to stop by right after the first rush was gone, so he could chat with me for a moment before it got busy again. 

Just like the first day, I was always a blushing, fumbling mess. It was impossible to speak to him like a normal person, considering he lit my body on fire with only a look, a smile, or a word. Just like the first day, he always ordered a 'surprise', which meant I was working extra hard to impress him. 

He had yet to give me his name and I was too nervous to find out myself, figuring the appropriate timeframe to ask had passed. At least, I think it had. Truthfully I didn't want to know just yet. It was an excuse to leave from behind the counter and serve him face-to-face, instead of having him pick his order up at the counter. 

Besides, not knowing his name helped play into the 'bad boy' fantasy I had playing in my mind. Something Sarah was starting to pick up on and constantly teasing me about.

"What are you planning on creating him today?", she poked fun at me as soon as I was done taking the money from him. 

The shop was slower, which was out of the ordinary. Although, I was thankful for a small break after the past couple of busy weeks. The slow pace actually played in my favor today. After two weeks of serving our mysterious customer, I was starting to worry about having new recipes to impress him with. I had gone through all my ordinary recipes already that I usually kept stocked in the display case, so now I was truly having to put extra effort in. That's why this morning, I created a special surprise just for the man. A surprise Sarah was already aware of, considering she was in the shop this morning while I prepared and baked it.

"You know I can still fire you. It's not too late for me to hire someone else to work the register," I threatened half-heartedly. She only laughed, throwing her hair over her shoulder as she walked away from me.

"You wouldn't find anyone capable of outdoing me, Chef," she joked back.

I rolled my eyes in response but knew she was right. Sarah was an incredible asset to me at the cafe. Recently I even started training her on crafting the different beverages we offer, including the list of special options which change daily. Training her helped free up my time to focus on more important tasks. 

Like daydreaming about our newest, most mysterious regular, I thought to myself, blushing profusely.

I forced myself back down to Earth and started preparing what I had in store today for the 'surprise me' order. I decided to keep the drink this morning simple, opting for a hot latte. I then retrieved the freshly made coffee cake from the back room. 

When I moved to walk around the counter Sarah caught my attention. She asked if she could take one of her ten-minute breaks now and I allowed it.

While approaching, I noticed the man typing away at his phone, sprawled out comfortably in his usual seat. He wore a similar outfit to the one I met him in, but every time I saw the tattoos trailing up his neck and around his ear, I was in awe. The ones peaking from under the short hair on the side of his head must've hurt to have done. 

I could never imagine getting a tattoo, especially one that involved drilling into the side of my head. I assume those weren't even the most painful ones. He has tattoos covering every inch of his exposed skin. I could only imagine the ones hidden away from my curious eyes- and I have tried to imagine. 

My frequent daydreams fluttered across my train of thought, involving fingertips tracing ink and a tongue tracing skin, which left a rather deep blush plastered to my neck and face. I swear, I'll turn permanently red eventually because of this man. 

I cleared my throat once I reached the table. As I placed the drink down I heard an abrupt laugh escape the man's lips. Probably caused by the sight of an entire cake placed in front of him. 

I pulled back, staring wide-eyed at him. The blush only spread and grew deeper as I watched him, with his head thrown back, a hand resting on his stomach as a full bellow of laughter filled the air around us. 

Again, I clasped my hands behind my back to keep from fidgeting. I waited patiently, as I do every day, to watch the man's reaction and to hopefully talk for a brief moment before returning to work. 

Only, today, he's had a much different reaction than I've ever seen. 

I honestly didn't know how to feel at that moment. I worked extremely hard on the coffee cake. It's something I'm used to making, except today I decided to branch out and create a peach cobbler coffee cake. I noticed, over the past couple of days, that the man had a preference for fruit flavoring when it came to his morning pastries. 

Now with his current reaction, I can only assume I messed it up somehow. My anxiety got the better of me as I began contemplating the worst. What if I put myself too far out there and this was his way of rejecting me? I mean, it was only a cake for crying out loud, but it was still a sign. At least, I wanted it to be. Maybe it was the wrong sign? Maybe he hates coffee cake or peaches. Maybe he read a funny text message, right before I got here? Maybe, maybe, maybe...

Deep in thought, I didn't notice the man moving to stand in front of me. He pressed his thumb into my bottom lip, forcing me to release my lip from its dangerous hold between my teeth. My attention was on him now, as he looked down at me, eyes trained on the red and swollen lip he just rescued.

"Stop that...", he practically growled. His eyes, once again, were dark as I stared up into them. I opened my mouth to speak only to shut it again, as I was incapable of making a sound. There was no more air in the world for me to breathe, let alone to speak. 

He dropped his hand that was gripping my chin and he sat down again swiftly. I blinked rapidly, watching him sprawl back out into his previous position as if nothing had happened. Maybe nothing had happened? Could a daydream be as vivid as that moment was? 

Before I could dig deeper into my delusional thoughts, he spoke, "A cake?" His eyebrows were raised in question, but the most ear-splitting grin rested on his lips. This was amusing for him, "An entire cake?"

He was laughing again, only this time it was soft chuckles as he shook his head. "Well you definitely outdid yourself, that's for sure. I am surprised."

I brought my hand up to scratch at the back of my neck while I kept my eyes trained on my shoes. They were dirty from the countless hours spent in the store baking and serving customers. The blush from before had never left and I could feel it intensifying.

Unexpectedly, the man reached out his hand to grip my unoccupied one, which brought my eyes flying to his own. The same eyes held a tender look to them, one I'd never seen on this man.

"Take a seat," he requested. I couldn't even fully shake my head in protest before he was gripping my hand just a tad harder for emphasis. "I can't eat this entire cake alone. You'll sit with me for a moment and have a slice," he practically demanded.

Although the cafe was owned by me, meaning I was more in charge than anyone else, I couldn't help but follow his command and took a timid seat across from him. I watched quietly as he took a piece for himself and prepared a slice for me, which he slid over on a napkin. Before he took a bite, he watched me earnestly, waiting.

I had almost forgotten about our daily ritual. The one where I rambled on about the things I brought to him. I found myself embarrassed each time, but it seemed the strange man looked forward to the information. 

I sat my hands in my lap, staring at the cake as I spoke, "Today I brought you a classic medium roast warm latte, but complimented with a peach cobbler coffee cake. Usually, peach is a flavor meant for the summer, but considering your appreciation of fruit flavors, I decided to take a risk."

I looked up at him through my eyelashes, trying to gauge his newest reaction without giving myself away. "I created a pecan streusel as the crumb topping. I finished it off with a sweet cinnamon drizzle," I finished explaining.

He nodded, eyes trained on the cake now, instead of me. I felt courageous enough to finally lift my head to look at him. I wouldn't miss this part.

My favorite part of the day was when he tasted my creations. A man I could tell was stern and serious, almost seemed carefree as he tested each one I brought to him. Every day it was the same. His cold exterior melted away once the flavors melted across his tongue and I was thankful I could be the person who caused that reaction.  

Before he could lift his fork to his mouth, the front door jingled as a sign of an entering customer. I dipped my head timidly, turning my eyes from the man in front of me, and excused myself before rising from the table. With Sarah on her break, I would have to help the newest customer. Meaning, I would miss my favorite customer's reaction. I left the man at the table, his mouth opened wide to accept the fork full of cake.

Without looking back, I greeted the man waiting at the counter. He was basically my height but had a lot more muscle than me, which was usually attractive but I couldn't keep the flashes of tatted skin from out of my brain. He had dark blonde, curly hair that was curling over his ears. Once I made it to the register, he had the biggest, friendliest grin plastered to his face.  

"Morning babe, can I go ahead and get the biggest caramel macchiato you serve? With some extra caramel flavoring or whatever added," he casually ordered. His hands rested on the edge of the counter that he was leaning over. The pressure of his own weight made his arm muscles constrict against the fabric of his long sleeves.

He caught on to where I was looking and flexed his muscles more to show off, boasting. I glanced up at his face, embarrassed, but he only sent me a wink in return. I looked at the register to type in his order, noticing the blush on my cheeks didn't feel quite the same as when the other man caused it. This felt more like embarrassment rather than nerves, and I was all nerves around the mystery man, seeing as I was swooning over him.

"I was going to order it to go, but perhaps I'll stick around so I can keep looking at that innocent little blush of yours, babe," he proposed. I blushed deeper at the pet name, which he has used twice now.

I genuinely wasn't used to people being so direct toward me, especially in a flirtatious or romantic way. My brain was unable to process an appropriate reaction. Sure, I was an average-looking man so I had plenty of interested parties over the years, but most were women. As a gay man who edged more on the timid side, it was rare for me to actually date. I've spent many years alone and I've come to embrace that lifestyle.

I guess I was rusty when it came to flirting. I even had very little experience with rejecting people, which was something I intended to do to blondie here.

"Will that be all?" I asked while continuing to look away.

He pulled his wallet out before handing out a card, "That's it." I reached out to take the card but before I could, his other hand reached up to grip my wrist. My eyes widened and I looked to him for an explanation, only to see a bigger smile now. "That is unless you're handing out your phone number?" he teased.

My mouth gaped open. Even if I could have responded to his boldness, I wouldn't have had the time seeing as another hand came into view. Only this one was gripping the forearm of the blonde man. I glanced back and forth between both men, the newest arrival being none other than Mr. Mysterious. 

"I suggest you release him," he demanded of the much smaller blonde man. Suddenly, my wrist was free, which I pulled back to my side for safety. I was weary of where this interaction was headed. 

"Whoa man, chill. I wasn't hurting him," the newest customer defended, "besides, I suggest you learn how to mind your business, this doesn't involve-"

Before the younger man could continue, his jaw was being grasped by a very big hand. Both men's faces were inches from each other now. I could see the anger rolling off the mystery man, but I was unable to fully see his face to gauge his exact reaction. It couldn't have been a very good one considering the playful smile previously occupying Blondie's face had disappeared and was instead riddled with intense fear. 

"How about...," he emphasized each word with a pause and a jerk of the other man's head. "In the future, you don't touch what doesn't belong to you, hmm?"

Satisfied with the fearful look of the now-shaking man, he shoved the blonde guy back towards the door, releasing his hold. 

"I mean, shit, how was I supposed to know he had a murderous boyfriend?", he all but shouted before taking a very quick exit from the shop, probably to never return again.

I stared after the man, even after the door closed. My head was reeling, unable to process the interaction that took place before me. 

Was I unaware of something? 

I mean, yeah, it was annoying listening to that man try to flirt with me, but I assumed it was harmless. I didn't think he meant any ill will towards me. Though I did tend to be pretty naive, so maybe my regular customer was obvious of something I missed.

Or maybe he was jealous, an intrusive thought crashed through my mind. I laughed out loud, unexpectantly, causing the man to turn towards me with raised eyebrows.

My eyes grew wide and I smiled slightly to try to ease the lasting tension in the air. "Sorry...I just, uh, I don't know what to say," I tried to explain.

"I need a box," he said matter-of-factly, completely ignoring everything that just happened. 

I raised my eyebrows in utter confusion because, That's all he has to say???

"For my cake..." he tried to explain further. I rolled my eyes and huffed, which he seemed to ignore as well. I bent down under the counter to sift through the different to-go containers we had until I found one that would fit the entire cake.

I stood straight again and reached out to hand over the box. He took it in one hand, while the other came to gently hold my still-outreached hand. 

"I'm sorry for losing you a customer," he apologized as he bent over to place a ghost of a kiss across the top of my hand.

My entire body burst into flames, and it was confirmed that I would indeed become permanently red if this man stayed in my life. Because he was touching me. Something he very rarely ever did. Not to mention that he just scared another man close to death for doing exactly that.

For touching what doesn't belong to him, I reminded myself.

Before I had time to pull myself together, the mystery man had packed his cake and swiftly left the store without another word. 

I dropped my head into my hands just as I heard the click of the back door closing, signaling Sarah's return. Once I could hear her footsteps, I threatened, "You're definitely fired now, there's no way that was a ten-minute break!" 

As I pulled my face away from my hands, I saw her shit-eating grin out of the corner of my eye. "I thought you and lover boy deserved some extra alone time," she pressed a sloppy kiss on my cheek. "So, how'd it go? You learn his name yet?"

I groaned aloud, running both hands through my brown, shaggy strands of hair. 

.x.

Heellloo lovelies. I wasn't expecting this chapter to be as long as it was, but once I start writing the scenes between Kalen and his mystery man, I always get carried away. Oops. I hope you enjoyed it though. How are you liking their interactions so far??

Btw, this is the cake I imagine Kalen created for his favorite customer:

Be sure to comment, vote, and follow for regular updates! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

173K 6.8K 17
All Travis wants is a little action, not a boyfriend. It starts because Travis is bored, but fooling around with your best friend can get a little me...
5.9K 435 29
ROMANCE/SHORTSTORIES Some people go out looking for love, some people stumble across it unexpectedly. Sometimes it is chaste, a fleeting moment in t...
5.1K 308 11
Mark hasn't been on one single date for the past four and a half years. Not because he isn't attractive to the ladies.. No, it's because he's loved o...
395K 20.7K 57
This story starts out with me in jail... and ends with me in jail. But that's sort of suitable for a story about myself, is it not? This is more or l...