DanMachi: The Final Showdown

By StarryZenith

(The following work of fiction takes place after the 17th Volume of the Novel. There may be spoilers. I shoul... More

Chapter 1: The Deep Floors
Chapter 2: Nightmares and Dreams
Chapter 4: Despair
Chapter 5: Changing Tides
Chapter 6: A Story of Legends

Chapter 3: Banken

119 2 0
By StarryZenith

[Three Days Later]

Welf POV

It's been days since I started forging a new knife for Bell. I had already finished the new armor and repaired the weapons, but I wanted to make sure that this was perfect. A powerful blade, one that could cut through anything and that would never break. I hammered over, and over, and over. I sacrificed meals to get this done. I didn't want to even leave the forge. 

"But still, Orichalcum-Adamantite Alloy and Udaeus Sword... no wonder it's so tough to handle!"

I could feel it. It was my instinct as a blacksmith. It was almost done. I submerged the blade in a clear, yellowish oil, cooled it, then put it back into the forge, heating it to a lower temperature, before taking it out and submerging it in the oil once more. The Knife was complete. I wiped the oil off with a cloth and set the blade down on the anvil. I added some black strips of cloth around the grip to make it easier to hold onto and stood proud.

"It's done. My greatest creation. Durandal. A knife that cannot break."

It wasn't a particularly magnificent blade. It was a black blade, much like the Hestia Knife. About 40 celch in length, slightly longer than the Hakugen. There were dark silver etchings of Mythril on the side, which granted it the same mana conductivity that Bell's current knife had. I sheathed it and waited in anticipation to give it to Bell. 

"A knife forged from the finest materials. Still, it's a bit of a shame. If I were a better blacksmith... No, I shouldn't think like that. I should think of a name for this thing... how about Banken, since it's a dark blade? Yup, I like it!"

I walked outside and saw Mikoto.

"Oh! Have you finished the knife?"

"Yeah. Do you know where Bell is?"

"He's training with Aisha and Lyu, I think it's somewhere on the wall near the South Gate. He said that it reminded him of something, and he wanted to get adjusted to his Level 6 Status before entering the dungeon. Though, from the brief bit I saw, Aisha and Lyu have their work cut out for them if they want to even land a hit on him."

"Thanks a lot!"

I took off from our mansion, heading toward the south gate as fast as I could. As I approached, I heard the sound of metal clashing with metal and the dull impacts that followed, probably from a kick or a punch.

"Bell!"

He turned to face me, still blocking Lyu's agile strike with the pommel of his knife.

"Welf! This new armor is great!"

He had the newest version of my light armor on, as well as a fitted set of clothing made from the Goliath Cloaks since there was some left over. He also had the Goliath Scarf around his neck, refusing to part with it after all it's done for him.

"Here! It's your new knife. I call it the Banken!"

I threw it at him with all my might, and he caught it. Placing it where he used to have the Hakugen, he unsheathed the blade.

"It's perfect, Welf!"

"Damn straight! Anything made by me is nothing less than perfect!"

Bell sheathed the Hestia Knife and proceeded with the match between him and the two level fours using the new blade. Blocking the sharp strike from Antianeira with the blade, then swiveling to kick away Lyu. The two of them looked battered, while Bell seemed to only have a small cut on his face.

"I think we should call it at that, Lion. We're not getting anywhere close anymore."

"Indeed. I'm ashamed to admit that even with two people, we can't do much more than a single cut, and that's without your magic."

I knew Bell was powerful but to this extent? He's only just leveled up to 6, and even top-class level 4 adventurers can't do anything?

"I have someone I'd like to meet up with as well."

Bell thanked the two of them before jumping down and running off.

"Incredible..."

Ais Wallenstein POV

How?

"Didja hear that? Rabbit's Foot Leveled up again! Level 6 in 9 months... That's ridiculous!"

The entire talk in the Benevolent Mistress was about Bell.

How can he grow so fast?

I sipped my drink. I wasn't here with any of the executives of the Loki Familia I usually came with. I sat at a table by the wall, waiting for the food to come.

"I hear he took out an Udaeus, just like the Sword Princess!"

"Wow... At this rate, he might even take over the Warlord in the next few months!"

Ottar...

I thought back to when I had to fight him. I had used most of my strength, yet he still was stronger. It felt a bit absurd to believe that Bell could surpass that in such a short amount of time.

But... if it's him, then maybe.

Amidst the loud chatter, I could hear footsteps. Very light footsteps. It wasn't an assassin, they weren't so refined. But who-

"Is someone sitting here?"

"...Bell. No, nobody else is sitting here."

I watched as he took the seat opposite of me. The little rabbit had grown so much...

I felt my cheeks get a bit warm. 

If it's like this... could it be considered a date? I don't really know.

"I hear you reached Level 6. Congratulations."

"Ah, thank you very much."

"...Did you have something you wanted to ask of me?"

"I do. It feels like I've finally caught up with the one I admire, so..."

I don't know why, but my heart skipped a beat in anticipation of his words.

"Could we spar one more time?"

And I didn't know why, but I felt slightly disappointed.

"Sure, I don't mind. Ah, but wait for my food, first."

Why are my feelings such a mess? It's been like this ever since I saved him from that minotaur...

"I'll wait by where we usually trained."

"You're not going to eat?"

"H-huh? No, I couldn't possibly..."

His face grew heated and he quickly bowed and left before I could even say another word.

"Hmm..."

Bell Cranel POV

"A rematch with Ais..."

My heart was racing. Perhaps if I won...

"I'm here."

I looked up at her, dressed in full battle gear unlike earlier when she was dressed in cute casual clothes. She withdrew her sword and I withdrew my two daggers. I was a bit nervous, facing her just after reaching level 6. I held my daggers in front of me, nervous sweat dripping down my face. Neither of us said anything, waiting for the other to make the first move.

Ais stepped forward and suddenly she was in front of me, stabbing at my head with her sword. I leaned back, the blade almost grazing my nose, and brought my left hand up. I hit her blade to the side and rolled back into a more cautious position.

She's still so fast! Even now, I'm having some trouble keeping up with her!

I dashed toward her, making a broad swipe with my right, the Hestia Knife. She stepped back slightly and pushed my arm, causing me to miss. But I was prepared for that. I spun around and kicked at her, landing solidly on her right arm. She drove the pommel of her sword into my thigh before flicking her wrist, sending the blade at me. I blocked with the Banken and drove my kick through, making her stumble a bit.

"Firebolt!"

I sent three flaming bolts at her, dodging the first two and blocking the third.

"You've grown a lot, Bell."

Ais lunged at me, stabbing toward my waist.

Low!

I whipped the Goliath Scarf off of my neck and diverted her attack to the side, slightly grazing me. Her momentum brought her forward and I slipped past, trying to avoid her colliding into me. I pivoted and rushed in with my two knives, but she seemed ready for this. Perhaps it was by instinct, but without looking, she slashed at me. I dropped beneath it and finally landed a solid hit into her stomach, sending her back slightly.

"I suppose I can't take our fights lightly anymore."

She held her sword out at me and murmured in a quiet voice.

"I don't like using this on other people, but it seems I have no choice if I want to win this. Tempest. Ariel!"

I could see strands of wind gather around her, moments before she vanished. Her speed was incomparable to how it was before, and I could only catch a glimpse of her form every now and then.

But still, I can feel it. Her eyes on me. From the right!

I blocked the quick slash and closed my eyes.

I can't rely on my sight for this.

From an outsider's perspective, it might look like I was fighting off an invisible ghost of sorts. 

Next, from the left, no... behind?

Even as I was adapting, she was as well. She made her moves unpredictable, and it was starting to become difficult to tell where she would attack from next.

"Firebolt!"

I cast the spell on the ground, kicking up a cloud of dust. Her movements stopped right in front of me as I thrust my knife up, stopping just before it would have cut her skin.

"It's my loss."

Ais had her sword positioned over me and certainly would've been faster than me.

"It looks like I still have a long way to go."

I sheathed my daggers and held my hand out to her.

"Thank you, Ais."

"No, it was quite enjoyable for me as well."

She's still faster, and stronger. How much longer before I can catch up to her, and stand before her as an equal?

I wrapped the goliath scarf around my neck and sighed.

"You leave for the expedition tomorrow, right?"

"Yes. Admittedly, I have some concerns since it's the Freya Familia... but after that war game, they seem less eager to pick fights. Freya's given ample compensation to the familias, and she's quieted down since, but I can't help feeling that there's something amiss here."

I could feel it too. Even now, after the war game, I could feel her gaze. She still was after me, for whatever reason. 

"Anyway, I wanted to give you this."

I held out a small bracelet. It was a simple gold bracelet with a flower engraved onto it. It had hieroglyphs on the inside, which prayed for good luck and protection. Or at least, that was according to Hephaistos, whom I worked on it with. She didn't take any compensation, saying that it was a thank-you for taking care of Welf and helping him, though it would've cost around 15 million valis...

"Good luck on your expedition tomorrow."

Ais slipped the bracelet on and stared at it for a while, before responding with a soft "thank you."

"I'll see you when you return!"

I jumped down and ran home, a noticeable spring in my step.

I did it. I really, really, really did it!

I couldn't wipe the cheerful smile off of my face as I bounded through the streets, making my way home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.9K 475 13
"Clouds of fear were quickly covering the once cheerful blue sky. You knew then how unprepared for battle the people of Lake-town were. As you l...
3.2K 54 6
take place after event of danmachi:arrow of the orion,when bell overburden with the sorrow and grieve bell almost gave up on living until a mysteriou...
11.7K 193 35
~CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM CHAPTERS 1-5~ ~also get ready for quite a lot of angst <3~ ~~ "Hey, I just noticed, your ahoges kinda look like bunny ears...
6.7K 71 9
the event's before chapter 1 in the Danmachi TheBlack Lightning Hero but after chapter 0 where Oranio is at risk because of the 3 disaster's coming b...