Eighteen Candles (you will re...

By ViennaBailey

Billie and Flynn have been best friends since they were six years old. Their friendship is simple, the only r... More

prelude
1.
2.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.

3.

2.6K 46 11
By ViennaBailey

Billie

"Why does my class have to be the only one, going on this stupid trip," Flynn groans. Flynn's Art teacher -Mr. Johnwill- thinks, bringing his students to some art galleries will make them more interested in art. Which is why he organized a one week trip, starting on Thursday.

"Maybe because you were the one complaining about how boring it is to draw a bowl of fruits," I say, scrolling through my phone. Becca just posted a new picture of-

"Hey!" I yell at Flynn, who just snatched my phone out of my hands. "It's not my fault, you're not paying enough attention to those fruit bowls. Now give me my phone back." I reach out my hand and wait for Flynn to put my phone into it.

Instead, Flynn continues complaining, moving her arms through the air the whole time, "The worst part about this is that Gemma is coming with me. I don't want to spend a whole week with her. She's annoying and mean and disrespectful and-"

"Coming," I stop her from saying bad things about one of the most popular girls in our year. Gemma might be some kind of a bitch but she's rich and pretty and that seems to be enough for most of the people in this school.

"Flynn," she greets us with her angel-devil like voice and a huge fake smile. She doesn't even look at me. "I'd hope seeing you here. I just wanna make sure we get along on this trip, since you clearly have some issue with me."

Flynn and I just look at her with raised eyebrows. I'm still trying to understand how her hair can look that soft when she opens her mouth again. "Oh no, is it cause of me and your brother making out in 8th grade?"

Judging on the look on Flynn's face, she and I both did not know about that. The reason why we dislike Gemma Smith so much is first, because of her name and second, because of her fake friend actions in 7th grade. We didn't care about Gemma existing before but in 8th grade she pretended to be my friend, just to leave me alone at my very first party. She spilled some juice on me purposely, told me she was getting some towels and then left me at the party alone. Flynn just hates her because she was being mean to me.

"Gemma, I don't really care who's hanging on my brother's lips and I don't want to act like friends on our trips. It sounds very nice, but no, thanks," Flynn says, fake smiling right back at her.

I know this all sounds like 6 year old girls having a fight about their boyfriends but this is defined necessary. "Sure. I bet it's annoying for you, listening to him about how in love he is with me," Gemma continues talking.

Flynn furrows her forehead. Since Blake became the hot bad boy and makes out with every girl 10 feet away from him, she just had to know a friend has a small crush on him to end their friendship immediately. It's harsh, I know, but as long as that doesn't concern me, I'm fine with it.

The fake red head in front of us just rolls her eyes and turns around with an annoyed sigh. "Since when does Gemma Smith have red hair?" I ask my best friend, who just bit off her apple.

"I don't know. Probably after her and Jase broke up this Sommer," she says, her mouth full.  I didn't even know they broke up. But it doesn't surprise me, Jase is changing his girlfriends every week. Him and Gemma were dating for a month. "He dumped her on a date, still payed for her food though," she adds.

...

I've been working for three hours already and my legs feel like they are going to fall off. The café has been stupidly busy this afternoon and I keep running from one table to another.

"Billie! Table 4 keeps asking about their ordered cheesecake," Kora -another waitress- yells through the kitchen. Kora is in her late twenties and has been working in this café for almost eight years. Sometimes she brings her eight year old son to work and Liam might be the cutest boy I've ever seen.

I take the plate, which is loaded with four pieces of cheesecake, and rush to table 4. The whole café is crowded, making it very difficult for me to get to the table without dropping the cheesecakes. "Excuse me! Excuse me!" is basically everything I'm going to say the whole afternoon.

I put the plate on table 4, earning a grumpy look from an old lady. "Here you go, 4 pieces of cheesecake. Enjoy!" I give her a small sweet smile and walk back to the kitchen. On my way I get yelled at from five more customers, who want to order.

Entering the kitchen, I see Kora stacking plates on her arms. She smiles at me slightly and walks out of the kitchen again. "I wish I was her," I say sighing, waiting for Elias -our cook- to load the plate with table 6's order.

He chuckles softly, shaking his head. "I think we all do. Raising a kid at 19 alone must have been terrifying," he says, sounding a bit proud. Kora got pregnant when she was 18 and Liam's father just decided having a kid at that young age would be too much for him, so he left.

"I'm just glad she kept him. Liam is a sweet boy," I say honestly and take the plates Elias just filled with some cupcakes from the kitchen counter.

"He's going to be a heart breaker. You better raise him well," Elias says playfully and winks at me.

I chuckle and walk out of the kitchen. On table 6 are sitting four little girls and a grown woman, all waiting for me to deliver their order. I tell them the same I told the old lady and put down the plates in front of them. Next up is table-

"Excuse me! I'd like to order something. I've been waiting here for 10 minutes already," a familiar male voice says from behind me. I turn around and look straight into a pair of dark green eyes. Blake Evans' dark green eyes.

"You can see me rushing through the crowded café here, right?" I ask and he nods, smirking just a tiny bit. "And you can see every customer here yelling for me to take their order, right?" I ask and he nods. "Then why exactly do you think, you're more important than everyone else here?"

Blake's about to answer, when Kora yells through the café, "Billie! Table 12! Caramel Frappoccino! Now!"

"See?" I turn away from Blake and the last thing I hear is his stupid chuckle, that slowly drowns in the voices of thousand of customers.

After two more hours of running through the café, most of the customers are finally gone. I'm already cleaning tables, when I spot Blake, still sitting in the left corner of the café. A cup and an empty plate is standing in front of him.

"You have to leave, we're closing soon," I tell him, picking up the empty plate and cup from the table.

Blake takes the wet cloth out of my hand and starts cleaning the table he was sitting on. "You've been working for four hours straight. Go and bring these dishes to the kitchen. I'm going to finish cleaning the tables and drive you home after we're finish," he says, walking to another table to clean it.

Confused and without complaining I walk to the kitchen like he told me. Putting the dishes on the kitchen counter, I spot Elias smiling at me. Him and I are the only one left working, because I took Kora's last shift. She really needed a break.

"What is it?" I ask the brunette man with a huge chef's hat on his head.

"You finally dating the Evans boy or why is he still here and also doing your job?" Elias is grinning. I don't know why he always assumes that. Blake comes here every other day but also do all the boys from my school.

"No. He's a friend of my family and my best friend's older brother. I've known him for 11 years. I can talk to him without him being my boyfriend. Understood, Elias?" I ask him, smiling at him.

"Sure, Bills. Whatever you say. Get home safe," he says and I smile at him.

"See you tomorrow!"

I walk out of the kitchen, my bag hanging on my right shoulder, and am about to open the front door, when I hear Blake yell my name.

"Billie!" he runs after me and walks through the door I was holding open for him. "I've already told you, I'm gonna drive you home. At least wait for me."

He unlocks the door to an old Pick Up and opens the door to the passenger seat for me. "I'm only not arguing with you about this, because it's too late to walk home by foot and I'm not in the mood to take the bus," I tell him.

Blake shakes his head slightly and waits for me to get into the car. He closes the door and walks to the other side of the Pick Up. "You never work for so long on Tuesdays. Why today?" he asks me after he got into the car and closes the door.

The tone in his voice sounds almost concerned, which is confusing me. I don't think Blake has ever been concerned for me working for too long or going home alone this late. "A co-worker needed the time off and I took her last shift," I explain and Blake starts the Pick Up.

We haven't talked much the whole drive. I didn't need to tell him my address so there wasn't a reason to start a conversation. Even know we've known each other for so long, I don't know much about him. I know that he's one year older than us, that he's the Captain of the Hockey Team, that he's one of the biggest playboys in our school and that he likes to watch any kind of sport games with my dad.

The dark haired boy next to me stops his car and turns his head to look at me. I unbuckle my seatbelt and open the door. "Thanks for giving me a ride. Let's never do that again," I say smiling and get out of his car.

Before I can slam the door shut, Blake leans over the seat I was just sitting on one second ago and whispers, "Whatever you say, Biscuit."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.6M 583K 49
Grace wants to prove herself by making the men's hockey team at her new school. Will a rivalry with the captain - or an attraction between them - get...
30.6K 3.2K 60
||COMPLETE|| Amber Blake is having dreams, and they just might be the key to saving her best friend, Mark. Unfortunately, she's too preoccupied prete...
984 667 17
A sad friends to lovers story about Dylan and Imani who have been best friends since they were kids. They both have secret feelings for each other, b...
24.9K 445 37
Allie was your Grade A typical Tom-boy who hid her crush on her neighbor, best friend, and mostly hero Michael James. He was a mama's boy through an...