My Significant Bother

By Altheyuhmoves

Synopsis: To the one I love, I cannot stand you. In fact, I hate you. To my dearly detested... how do I lo... More

Prologue : Hate Letter
Nightmare at Ziggy's
Miss Minchin and her Bass
Payday or Payback?
Chasing the Shrew
Ambon/Bagyo
Uso Pa Ba Ang Harana?
Princess Turandot
Fiesta sa Nueva Esperanza
St. Anthony's Retreat
Time is No Healer

Expiration Date

3K 91 72
By Altheyuhmoves

Warning: This chapter is rated SPG.
Last long chapter.  Not the end yet.  Kalma po.

---------------

Narda and Regina were in the little room of the Nueva Esperanza home. The bed was stiff and almost threadbare. The pillows flat on their heads.  The room still smelled of katol and the breeze inside seemed humid. 

They had no electricity that night, Nueva Esperanza had blackouts once in a while, Narda explained.

But the two of them enveloped each other in their arms.  Regina rested on Narda's chest, hearing her girlfriend's fast heartbeat. 

Narda had a huge abaniko pamaypay that she flailed around, her strong arms fanning Regina.  The wind caught through on their faces. 

"Sorry, Regina... alam ko sanay si Kamahalan sa aircon.  Sa heated shower.  Walang ganyan saamin.  Kutis brownout ang girlfriend mo," Narda whispered.

"Yeah, I know.  I think I have mosquito bites all the way to my ass cheeks," Regina laughed.

"Ay! Patingin," Narda said widening her eyes, her hand smacking her girlfriend's ass.

"Oh my God, you would, manyak!"

"Ako pa manyak? Alala mo ginawa mo saakin sa bangka? Pang turista yun.  Ibang tourist spot ang nangyari doon.  Sa tingin mo matitignan ko pa si Ninong Klaudio sa mata? Tapos ng ginawa natin doon?  Grabe ka... akala ko makakasira ka na naman ng damit."

"Shut the fuck up!"

Regina pinched Narda's tummy as they stifled their giggles.  The two of them were trying to control their loud whispers and uproarious laughter.  Narda's little sister, Kylie was fast asleep on the mattress beneath them. 

Narda held down Regina's hands to stop her from pinching her.  They both had to smile at their silliness.

Narda brought Regina closer to her,  her fingers crawled on her smooth face, and sensually traced her soft lips.

"Mahirap katabi ka lagi matulog.  Masasanay ako," Narda murmured.

"You should get used to it.  Once we get our house... after you get out of med school.  Tapos, I am Atty. Vanguardia na.  We can get a house in the South... mas mura doon?  And then, we can own twenty cats.  And then... we will have a nice kitchen because we both like cooking.  And then... we shall have a mini theater since I am into films.  Tapos extra rooms for family visiting?"

Regina had dashes of sleep already in her voice.  Narda drew her closer and she lazily kissed her mouth as if it was the most natural thing, like it was just breathing.

She held Regina closely as she exhaled.  She started fanning rapidly again, trying to gather enough breeze around her girlfriend. 

She could see sweat forming on Regina's forehead and immediately she looked concerned.  She quickly swept up Regina's hair, waving the fan at a more brisk pace. 

"Tapos siguro... I probably have to get rid of my old Dodge ano?  We get more convenient cars, ano, Narda? Pero we should probably commute too.  Mas economic at better sa environment..."

Regina was dozing off, fighting away sleep.  But she started closing her eyes and she was soon fast asleep.  Narda drew her closer as she fanned her heated skin, kissing her pallid shoulder. 

"Kamahalan, mangangalay na ako dito," she whispered as she kept fanning her.

But beneath all of Narda's jokes, there was a certain solemnity as she looked at Regina with so much gravity and love.

Sometimes she always wondered if she deserved to be this happy.

Then she remembered this happiness had an expiration date.

Her phone was by her night desk. Illuminating in the dark room. She grabbed her phone and checked all her recordings. Her confessions to Regina ever since they got together.

She hated that she was a coward.

Narda hated that even her own truth was not her own to keep. She hated that someone like Carson Chu could dangle threats about her scholarship.

She hated that her choices were slim.

She despised that their love story had to start off because of her own desperation.

Narda looked at all the recordings and wondered how she could get Regina to finally learn the truth.

She knew their expiration date was coming soon.

She remembered what Carson Chu said about Anthony's Ball.

"Ano na academic dishonesty mo? Hindi ka pwede magsalita. Not until Anthony's Ball. Bayad ka na."

Narda started getting lost in her thoughts unable to sleep, she thought of counting down until Anthony's Ball.

She will treat it like her expiration date.

Their expiration date.

She looked at the coming weeks, days, hours ---- maybe she did not deserve happiness, she thought to herself.

Maybe she did not deserve Regina.

But maybe they could at least have a proper countdown to Anthony's Ball.

Maybe in the remaining time, she could be the right girlfriend.

She owed Regina the truth.

She knew it was coming.

But for now it was like sand on her hands, she clutched desperately but it was all spilling out.

She had to face reality soon.

Narda looked at her phone again, she checked her recorded messages. She then set it up as files she would send later.

She entered the date to send the file links.

She titled the files "Narda's Confession".

She vowed she will tell the truth.

And Narda knew, the truth would be their expiration date.

-------------------------

And Narda counted the days.

She knew every single day had to count.

--------------------------

The first week back from Nueva Esperanza,  Narda and Regina spent a lot of their time at the back of the village, learning how to drive by the creek.   Narda focused on the steering wheel as she nervously maneuvered through the streets at a snail-pace speed.

Until she slowly perfected the driving routine to Padua University.

"Finally, hindi ko na nakikita si Mama Mary.  Wala ng flashes of white light o flashback ng buong buhay ko.  Hindi na siya parang surival test," Regina said while she raised her one eyebrow and rolled her eyes.

"Kamahalan, ayaw mo yun, ako naman magdrive para sa'yo?  Ganda ng driver mo? Talino.  Talo ka pa lagi sa debate.  Ang lakas ng appeal.   Ayaw mo? Hindi na kita pipilitin lagi magcommute," Narda said arrogantly, winking at Regina.

"You are amazingly self-assured.  Hindi ko alam saan mo nakukuha confidence mo, ano?"

"Talaga namang may boost of confidence when that one woman who hates me ends up being my girlfriend!"

Regina shook her head, instructing Narda to park by the creek.   They were quiet and still.  Just basking in their comfortable silent moments together.

They looked at the twigs curving on the surface and the water splashing through the stream.  Regina slumped her body on her car-seat, turning the volume up in her stereos.  "Wish on an Eyelash" was on her playlist. 

Narda realized the creek by the cliff at the back of the village was now one of their spots.  Just like Calypso was a catalyst.  Just like how 4 Strings was a part of it.  Just like how St. Anthony's class was a common theme. 

Just like how the boat in Nueva Esperanza was part of their story.  Just like how her dorm was monumental in their relationship.   Just like how Regina's bedroom was part of her happiest and most aching parts of her heart.

In their short time together, Narda realized she had already built so many memories with Regina Vanguardia. 

She looked at Regina with earnestness and instantly she found herself lost in her chocolate-like brown eyes.  Slowly her fingers intertwined on Regina's soft fingers, almost gripping it. 

"You know, loser,  you are so OA sometimes?" Regina chuckled.

"Bakit, Kamahalan?"

"You always look at me like you are going to lose me.  Wag kang magalala --- unfortunately, malakas gayuma mo," Regina winked.

Narda willed herself to give her usual smug smirk, covering up the ache and fear in the deep pit of her chest.  She was so used to playing this role by this time.  Regina like clock-work always fell for that smile of hers, she hurriedly cupped Narda's small face and gently kissed her forehead.

It was innocent and carefree when she gave her feather-like kisses. 

The two of them stayed still there, Regina leaned on Narda's shoulder while they watched the rain slowly pelt on the old windshield of that Dodge.

Narda looked at her phone, she looked at the date...

and she knew time was passing by.

I made a wish on an eyelash
Made a wish on elevens
Made a wish on my birthday
Talk about you to Heaven
I plan my days all around you
Planets orbit around you
I was lost 'til I found you
I think angels surround you

----------------

Even when they fought, Narda counted it as part of their nearing expiration date.

Regina wondered why Narda started getting into little odd jobs again.

She knew Narda had paid her mother's urgent debts but somehow she needed more money.

Narda worked odd hours when she could.

Drumming lessons for children, tutoring for Math, random nights at Calypso, rackets at catering services, and extra hours at her internship.

They fought over Narda's insistent need to be the Superwoman.  They fought over Regina's habit of giving expensive gifts to Narda's family like an instant pressure cooker. 

They fought intensely that one night when they both had to review for their tests. They were both outside the library, arguing over their beliefs.

"Hindi ko naman kasi maintindihan why do you take on everything in your family!  You really want to live up to your name as some weird Darna," Regina would yell out.

"Regina, hindi naman ako katulad mo na madali lang pera.  Hindi mo kasi maiintindihan ano yung kargo ko, ok?"

"Then let me help!"

"Hindi. Hindi mo kilala si Nanay ---abusado na yan pag ganyan! Mamaya na mangungutang na yan sa'yo.... pamilya ko ito kaya labas ka na sa problema ko, ok?"

"I will never understand how you think, Narda!"

"Kasi wala ka sa mundo ko, ok?  Iba ang mundo mo.  Iba ang morals mo.  Shit naman Regina!"

"Well shit to you too!"

But even when they would always bicker, they could not completely resist each other.

They did not have all the solutions but they tried to understand each other.

That night when they fought, they were both quiet while they tried to study in the library.

Narda would soon walk out of the library, covering herself up in her hoodie.  Regina would try to suppress her fury and tears as she went nose down on her Mac ignoring her girlfriend's antics.   She focused bitterly on her assignments until she saw a message from Narda.

Reluctantly,  Regina walked over to the opposite side of the Odegard Library. She was in a grumpy mood.

She walked over the giant birch bookshelves until she got to the Shakespeare category,  she passed by  the stacks of books,  her fingers arching over the spine of each book until she got to "Taming of the Shrew". 

She looked behind her and there was Narda struggling with her cups of Kwek-Kwek and iskrambol. 

Narda hugged all the cups close to her chest and one of the iskrambol cups was hanging by her teeth. On her forehead was a post-it that said, "I AM SORRY".

Regina giggled, covering her mouth, grabbing the cups.

"No food and drinks allowed in the library," Regina whispered mockingly.

"Kaya nga dito tayo kakain kasi walang bantay dito," Narda said, clicking her tongue.

"You know you cannot buy me kwek-kwek every time we fight!"

"Kamahalan!  I know --- may isaw, may fishball, may betamax, may adidas!"

"Alam mo ikaw--- hindi mo ako pwede idaan sa charm mo lagi."

"Sabi nga sa Immersion class natin?  Ano turo ni St. Anthony?  Tomorrow is not guaranteed.  Magaaway pa ba tayo?  Mababaw lang naman?  Eto o.  Hindi na ako tumatakbo.  Totoo ito, sorry na hindi ko inisip man lang na concerned ka lang saakin.  I will try to understand you --- I am sorry I took that for granted," Narda chewed her lip, her eyes filled with seriousness.

"Well,  I was harsh. I am sorry I said all that. I also have to understand you and I also have to see through things beyond my world.  God.  Is this maturity, Narda? Hindi bagay saatin."

"Bakit mas exciting ba kung nagaaway tayo, Kamahalan? Parang foreplay ba?"

The two tried to stifle their loud laughter as they hid around the dark side of the library.

They sat on the carpeted floor by the book shelves in the library. They ate their snacks peacefully, while Regina curiously looked at the heavy hardcover of William Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew", her face twisting into annoyance.

Narda was full and she rested her head on Regina's lap, using her Jansport backpack as a pillow around her arms.

"Kamahalan, ano yang mukhang yan?" Narda asked quizzically.

"You know how problematic this play is? It is sexist.  It is basically saying that men can just tame women and women should just ---- submit.  It is horrible," Regina complained, browsing through the pages of the thick book.

"Sarap ng amoy ng lumang libro ano?"

"God, you are so weird, Narda.  Yung amoy luma pa talaga,ah," Regina chortled, smacking Narda's arm.

"Pero tama ka naman sa libro na yan.  Pero alam mo ang gusto ko diyan?"

"What do you like about it?

"Yung sabi diyan na --- 'And where two raging fires meet together, they do consume the thing that feeds their fury.'  Parang get two strong people, stubborn, mga walanghiya --- the meeting of passions will extinguish them both--- parang tayo," Narda whispered, her eyes looking more curious.

Regina did not say a word as her fingertips lovingly traced Narda's features,  studying the slope of her nose, the creases on her eyelids, and soon the curves on her pink lips.

Narda's hand grabbed Regina's silver necklace, the one she gifted her and she drew her girlfriend in closer to her face. 

Their soft lips pressed together and soon their mouths indulged.

And they kissed lovingly.  As if they were not just fighting hours before. 

-----------------------------------------

Time passed by so much, Narda could barely think about herself.

There was that one night during the storm.

Narda was in her sando, while she focused on her study desk in her dorm room.

  She looked problematic. She checked out her savings account as she was browsing her old laptop.  

When she heard Regina's footsteps she slammed her laptop, looking suspicious than ever.

"Why do you look like you are guilty? Ano tumitigin ka na naman ng amateur girls stuff,"  Regina asked in her irritated tone, carrying a paperbag.

She looked more casual than usual, her hair disheveled and she was in Narda's white Hanes shirt. She was still soaked from the rain.

"Nothing! Hindi ah!" Narda said defensively.

"Whatever!"

"Babe, sobrang basa ka --- ano ginawa mo sa labas? Ano ka ba! Ikaw kasi --- sabi nang wag ka na bumisita today kasi alam ko naman talaga yung bagyo.  Ano ba? Ang dami-dami mo pa dala!"

Narda was concerned grabbing her rough towel as she followed Regina around, wiping her girlfriend's face.

Regina shrugged nonchalantly, she peered out the sliding window, the rain was pouring intensely and the typhoon was still wreaking havoc outside.

The skies were pitch black and the wind howled through the deep night.

"Hindi ba magagalit Daddy mo na andito ka pa?" Narda asked, her forehead wrinkling.

"What? Does he want me to swim in the baha? What is he going to do? Ground me?  Cut me off?"

Narda had quail eggs she had bought the day before, she started cooking Regina's favorite kwek-kwek, she felt bad that her girlfriend was stuck in the storm.  

The wind from the screen window was getting cold, Narda in her lamigin ways had to wear her jacket

Then, Regina's iPhone alarm started blaring.

The wavy-haired woman suddenly had a mischievous smile as she rummaged through her paper bag. She hid her head and swiftly,  emerged with a party hat. 

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NARDA CUSTODIO!" Regina yelled.

Narda looked surprised and out of words, she had been so immersed in everything and everyone else --- she had forgotten her own birthday.

Regina lit up a polka-dot candle on top of a small chocolate cake.  She sang "Happy Birthday" for her girlfriend as if it was a concert and she had to belt the melody.

"Ano ba yan, nakalimutan ko," Narda said, smacking her head with her palms.

Narda clenched her eyes shut as she made a wish and she huffed out some air, blowing the little candle.

"Anong wish mo?" Regina asked.

"Ahhh --- sana mataas grades ko this term," Narda said casually, beaming at Regina.

Regina did not know that night, all Narda could wish for was more time. 

All she could wish for was her truth. 

All she could wish for was she does not lose Regina Vanguardia.

Regina placed the party hat on top of Narda as they sat together, eating the karinderia pancit canton and the small local cake. 

They only had leftover Fundador and a Coke litro to keep them company. They were just by that desk, celebrating a simple birthday.  The little fluorescent lamp as their only light that night.

"Sorry, dahil sa bagyo --- baka hindi mo makikita family mo this weekend," Regina talked in a sad tone, the sudden realization dawning on her.

"Oo nga,e--- pero nagtext naman si Kylie kanina sabi nila safe sila at hindi gaano malakas bagyo doon," Narda sulked, she was cocooned in Regina's gifted blanket.

"I hope this at least makes you feel a little better, Smugface."

Regina slowly slid a rectangle cardboard box with a red ribbon intricately tied around it. 

"Regina, sabi ng 'no gifts' muna tayo... alam mo naman na ---," Narda murmured unable to speak.

"Just open it, doofus!"

Narda unwrapped the gift box and gracelessly untied the ribbon...
what was revealed to her moved her heart.

It was a personalized Littman stethoscope with Narda's initials engraved on it. 

"Kamahalan --- sobra naman ito.  Hindi naman ako doctor.  Thank you pero --- sobrang nakakahiya na..."

Tears started building up on Narda's eyes, welling in her irises as she felt her heart ache some more. The pads of her fingertips wiped her tears, she tried to smile through it.

"Oh my God, stop crying! I wanted to give it to you, ok? Can you at least let me love you?  Hindi naman pwede na ikaw lang lagi? In love walang hiya lahat.  Maging walanghiya ka lang!  Can't I show that I believe in you?  That I know you will become a great doctor one day? Happy Birthday, Narda.  Stop crying! Please! For me! Can you stop all the things you are thinking about?  Whatever is eating you up!  Stop muna. Fuck problems. Please! Let us celebrate."  

Regina was laughing as she squeezed Narda's cheeks and kissed her lips softly.

"Teka lang, Kamahalan!"

She had that knowing smile that Regina knew was always full of plans. She knew her girlfriend had a light bulb moment.

To her surprise,  Narda came out of her sliding closet with the same majorette outfit she wore when she serenaded her months ago. She had a party hat on and she started dancing awkwardly, her hips gyrating to the soft music on her phone.

"Oh my God, stop it--- help," Regina cackled.

"Lagi mo sinasabi na trip mo kung ganito outfit ko," Narda said, dragging Regina's chair towards her.

"Buti nalang matalino ka.  Hindi ka pwedeng exotic dancer."

Narda sat on Regina's lap, she could barely move,  the two of them laughing at the chaos they were creating.

Regina got some icing on the chocolate cake and dotted it on Narda's little nose. She slowly kissed the tip of her girlfriend's nose.

Her fingers dabbed on the icing again and slowly smeared the chocolate on Narda's pillow-like lips. She then leaned in, teasingly hovering her mouth over her girlfriend's.

Narda kept leaning in but Regina backed away,  resisting her kiss.

"The thing is Narda, I do like the majorette outfit.  Major turn-on.  Pero I prefer you out of this," Regina's voice was sensual and low.

Regina's fingers started unhooking the marching band jacket as she crashed her mouth on Narda's pink lips. Their kisses emboldened and their bodies so used to each other, like matches that were instantaneously ignited.

-----------

"Wag ka muna magisip... can we stop thinking for a while," Regina kept saying.

Even in times of euphoria, Narda knew her time had to count.

By the time they got up to Narda's dorm room bed, they impatiently had to take off their clothes as if they would be in total despair if they did not feel skin on skin.

The feverish heat between their bodies was dizzying. Narda reached down and slipped her arms around Regina's nape, positioning herself on top.

Regina's kisses still tasted like cherries and matte lipstick. It was addicting for Narda. But this time their kisses were urgent and enkindled.

The breeze from the storm making the room colder, their need to be closer was much more desperate now.

Regina groaned as Narda's mouth dove into her breasts.

The warmth of her lips, the
searing kisses, the exquisite way her mouth savored everything had Regina's body pulsing with heat.

Narda knew how to celebrate Regina's body, it was as if she had memorized her like a map she could indulge in. She knew how to trail her kisses underneath her stomach, she knew how it drove Regina crazy when she would nip between her thighs. Just right at the thin part of the skin.

She knew the damp kisses on Regina's tattoos would make the beautiful woman curse underneath her breath. She knew the dizzying waves of Regina's arousal when her tongue finally would find her center, relishing in it.

She knew it when Regina was over the edge once Narda's fingers worked with the movement of her tongue.

She knew how the pleasure was overwhelming when Regina would pull fistfuls of her dark hair and the whole bedsheet had been unraveled.

She knew the screams muffled in between pillows.

It was like a map and Narda knew each destination by heart.

"Dito ka," Narda said out of breath, wiping her wet lips with her forearm.

She then laid flat on her back, having Regina climb up over her.

Narda's hands explored Regina's still quivering body; Regina was still reeling from the euphoric after-effects.

Narda looked up at such mesmerizing beauty. Her fingers grazed her girlfriend's fair torso, tracing the tattoo just right under Regina's rib, and soon, her hands held firmly on Regina's waist as she led her girlfriend in a riotous rhythm.

After much patience, their centers finally aligned together. The pleasure slowly building up. They moved relentlessly, feeling the friction and the slickness between their legs.

Narda thrusted up meeting Regina's intensity, she lifted herself up as she moved recklessly with Regina. Soon their mouths met, they kissed adoringly through the night.

Narda felt that numbing feeling around the bottom of her belly and soon her releases felt like convulsions. Narda had to bite through Regina's supple shoulder to soften her own groans.

When she had Regina spooned on her arms, she enveloped her body and Narda reached down with her fingers, finding Regina's pleasure point again.

Still wanting to see how her girlfriend's body would react. The hours were melting altogether as the thunderclap outside echoed through. The wind howled some more like wailing in the underside of the moon.

"l want to feel you again," Regina whimpered.

Regina soon reached in to Narda's nape, grabbing her. She was soon engulfing Narda with messy kisses as she felt nimble fingers rapidly thrust into her.

As soon as the rain stopped, Regina had to release an anguished cry, for her body finally surrendered. Her body was shivering as she came again.

She kept Narda close to her as their eyelashes fluttered against each other. Narda's strong arms holding onto her entire shuddering body.

Regina finally reached her calm. Her hand grazed over Narda's damp hairline and she faintly smiled at the woman next to her.

Regina kissed her above her eyes on Narda's silk-like eyebrows. Regina realized Narda tasted faintly salty on the tip of her tongue, probably from the sweat beads of their love-making.

"Happy Birthday--- happy bagyo," Regina beamed, her gummy smile showing.
She then noticed an eyelash below Narda's eyes. Her fingertip dabbed it.
"Make a wish again, Narda ..."

And Narda still kept wishing the same thing.

That she had more time.

That she will not lose Regina Vanguardia.

I made a wish on an eyelash

---------------------

Luna had been pre-occupied. She had been juggling school work, the cold war between her dad and her sister, and a confusing relationship with Carson Chu.

Her life this college term was a nightmare, so much for the grand scheme of teenage normalcy.

The only good thing distracting her right now was handling the Anthony's Ball.

She was looking at the hotel ballroom that they would use for the Anthony's Ball. It was a vast room at the new The Bard Hotel in Makati. The room was spacious and it looked like it was built as an old English theater. She walked around in her jeans and heels, working with the spotlight.

Managing things behind the scenes. It was a dry run for the audio and visuals of the dance. The DJ was playing music, the sound kept breaking up and was barely working for her.

Luce was there with Luna, also working for the Anthony's Ball. He walked over with his art folder, about to show Luna his new graphic for the dance. Until the DJ started talking from his microphone.

"Tignan ninyo nga yung tunog at ilaw diyan, Luna," the man said.

Luce looked puzzled when the lights shut down and a glaring spotlight was suddenly shining on the two of them. He had to set his folder aside.

"Dry run ito --- kunwari sayaw sayaw kayong dalawa. Gusto namin makita if uubra cameras diyan with the lighting," the DJ said, almost angrily.

"Ano ito?" Luce asked.

"I think they are running tests for the main cameras, lighting, and the audio," Luna answered just as confused as Luce.

The old tune "Kiss Me" started playing on the loud speakers. The dazzling lights started washing over them. Luce was baffled as he fixed his collar, looking around him like a lost little boy.

"HOY MISS LUNA! Tama na arte diyan, pakisayaw sayaw --- galaw galaw para makita namin sa camera," the DJ yelled through the booth.

Luce started awkwardly swaying his arms like it was a trance song. Luna had to shake her head and grab his hand.

"No, like this," she said in a lively way, trying to suppress her giggles.

She then positioned herself in a waltz position, inviting Luce to an old fashioned dance. He then wrapped his around her waist. They slowly moved to the beat, seeing themselves on the projector for the dance. They avoided each other's eyes, focusing on the waxed floor.

"Luce, I do not think I can thank you enough," Luna suddenly spoke, her hazel eyes finally looking at the young man before her.

"Para saan?"

"I know you helped me find my freedom. I know you really wanted the best for me. I know you are a true friend and I appreciate you--- for everything... kahit feeling ko wala naman ako maibibigay sa'yo. It's like how can I even give anything in return?"

"Wala yun, Luna. That's what friends do. Things should not be transactional between friends."

He then smiled with his usual child-like grin and he maneuvered Luna into a quick swing. Their bodies now dancing close together.

"Since when did you learn how to do that, Monsieur Luciano Corpuz?

"I took ballroom dancing in France too. Weird ng parents ko,e," Luce twisted his lips shyly.

He swung Luna again until their chests were now touching. Luna's eyes suddenly looked at him, studying him.

He did not wear his glasses. His hair had grown longer. He had little creases by his forehead, she noticed. He had moles on his cheek and right by his eyes. His eyes always looked innocent and filled with wonderment. He talked like he was always fascinated, animated like some type of cartoon. And his smile formed dimples that always made him look younger.

For the first time Luna was also lost in Luciano Corpuz's eyes. For the first time, she had fear because she felt safe with him. It was not the kilig thrill with Carson Chu. But this felt warm and comfortable. Like she did not have to be anyone else.

"So since si Carson ang date mo sa Anthony's Ball. Sana we can dance. If I can have the privilege for one dance with Luna Vanguardia," he said, consciously biting his lower lip.

"Syempre naman," Luna nodded, her eyes still studying him.

Then the music suddenly stopped.

"Ang arte ninyong dalawa, ah. Overachiever? Sabi lang sayaw konti--- binuo talaga kanta? Mga batang ito!" the DJ yelled from the mic.

The two of them instantly let go of their clasping hands, laughing at what they just did.

And Luna felt that again. It was fear and warmth.

--------------------------------

Narda was at the Calypso Bar that night, working on a quick racket. She was wearing a letterman's jacket, something she had to borrow from her girlfriend.

It was for a school-themed night at the bar. She was one of the late night servers for that Sunday night. She had been exchanging messages with Regina and it brought a smile to her face.

She looked at her savings account on her app, quickly browsing through it.   She exhaled in frustration, calculating in her head.

Konting buwan pa. Pwede na siguro.  Bakit ba ang bagal ng daloy ng pera?

Narda went back to work as she started wiping the counters and picking up the plates from the empty dining tables. The music was blasting and she had tuned it out,  still lost in her usual deep thoughts.

"Hello, Narda," a voice suddenly blurted out.

Narda had to turn around and she was surprised to see Regina's mother, Ara behind her.  She was in her usual ill-at-ease way.  She had a nervous stammer while she spoke.  She started scratching her tattooed arm, obviously self-conscious around Narda.

"Anong oras ang off mo?  Pwede ka ba makausap, please?"

"Naku. Busy po. Pasensya na po, Ma'am Ara.  I hope you understand," Narda exhaled, she felt pity for her but she did not want to further complicate her already complicated relationship with Regina.

"Please, Narda? Please?"

Narda paused and tightened her jaw.

-----------------------------------------------

Ara sat down at the counter outside the bar, drinking her Stella beer and smoking her cigarette.

Narda was still bugged out watching Regina's mother.  She had so many of her mannerisms, even the type of beer Regina drank was just like her mother's. 

"You want a beer? I got it," Ara offered.

"Hindi po --- nagmotor po ako papunta rito.  Iwas inom na --- ok na po ako sa tubig," Narda said, shaking her head.

She took off her jacket, the night was extremely hot.

"My daughter --- she's happy around you, you know that?  She has been going to Calypso for years, obviously trying to see me ---- but always constantly running away from me.  Sa nakikita ko ngayon lang siya naging sobrang saya ulit.  Not since she was a young girl," Ara stammered.

She kept going on and on about how Regina was.  What was she like?  What did she like doing?  Was she still in love with the music of Kitchie Nadal and Etta James?  Did Narda know that was her influence?

But Narda was drowning in the questions and she just had to cut Ara off.

"Bakit  mo dinadaan saakin?  Bakit hindi mo itanong yan sa kanya mismo?  Bakit hindi mo man lang siya kinamusta?  Bakit hinayaan mo madurog puso ni Regina sa mga taong nawala ka?  Nasaan ka all this time?"

Narda clenched her fist and she knew her hands were turning white. She shook while she  spoke, she felt a slight coldness around her.

Her hand tremored while she drank her water, she did not know why she suddenly confronted Ara.

Ara nodded and drank the bitter beer, suppressing her tears as she exhaled.

"Believe it or not Narda, I did.  My ex-husband is a powerful man and he did not want me near my daughters.   I knew he was just being a father.  I had my own issues, I am not perfect.  Pati lifestyle ko kasi naging rock and roll na nung he wanted an annulment and wanted full custody of the kids.  Who wants a pill-popping junkie around their daughters?  But I am clean now.  Two years na."

As Ara spoke, Narda realized her constant fidgeting and scratching was that of a former prescription drug addict.

"Pero the years have passed by.  And my one daughter does not even know me. While the other hates me to no end --- I blame myself, ako ang mali but I just want to face Regina again kasi gusto ko lang mag-sorry," Ara scratched her neck while she explained, the years of sorrow reflected on her face. 

"I am sorry.  Pero hindi ko po alam ano magagawa ng mga kwento ninyo."

Ara nodded and drank her beer again. She slumped on her chair, in a defeatist slouch.  She then looked at Narda, realizing she was such a simple girl working at Calypso for a side-job.  Definitely not like the types of the Vanguardias.

"Is Rex against your relationship?"

Narda clenched her jaw and she could not muster an answer, she could only look at the hands on her lap. Her eyes in a downward gaze.

"My ex-husband did not used to be like that, you know?  Hindi matapobre si Rex.   Definitely not homophobic.  He fell in love with a girl na anak lang ng isang poor wannabe musician.  Pinaglaban niya ako sa mga Vanguardia.   He was crazy in love.  We were madly in love," Ara said as she pointed at herself, billowing smoke out of her menthol stick.

Narda furrowed her eyebrows and curiosity sparked in her eyes.

"Ano po nangyari? Kung madly in love?  Bakit ka ngayon wala sa piling ng mga anak mo?"

"Iba ang in love. Iba ang love.  We were both selfish.  It was not love.  We started battling each other. He's a rich man, he had women throw themselves at him. I wanted to challenge him--- so? ako rin dapat! I cheated too.    I told him I was in love with another man.  We constantly did that to each other.  Revenge.  Battling.  One affair after the other.  Then sumama pa yung pill popping ko.  It got so ugly --- it was as if there was no more grace.  There was no room to even forgive.  Not even as husband and wife but just as human beings. It was just grudges upon grudges.  And that --- is selfishness.  That made me lose my children... and I regret that, alam mo?"

Ara exhaled in frustration, drinking her second bottle of beer.  The late night traffic serving as their only soundtrack.  The humid night sticking to their skin.  The sadness marring their night.

"I am sorry --- eto ata yung sinasabi ng Gen Z na trauma dumping," Ara shook her head.

Narda exhaled in exasperation while she suddenly stared at Ara with a mix of seriousness and tenderness.  Tears welled in her big doe-eyes eyes while she spoke. 

"Tama po kayo.  Nakikinig pa po si Regina ng Etta James at Kitchie Nadal.  Sobrang idol po niya si Kitchie, masaya yun basta may gig.   Magaling po siya magbass.  Parang kayo pero biased ako --- sa tingin ko po mas magaling siya.   Ang ganda po ng boses niya parang sweet na soulful po? Ganun. Matalino si Regina, sobrang talino.  Hirap na hirap ako idebate yan."

Soon hot tears started streaming down Narda's face, overflowing as she heaved into a sob.  She still smiled through her tears as she enumerated all of what made Regina amazing. 

Telling Ara that her daughter was worth loving. 

"She will be an amazing lawyer one day, gusto niya makatulong, alam mo yun?  Wala na po yun gusto gawin kundi gawing proud ang parents niya sa kanya.  Tapos?  Ang galing niyang Ate. Grabe niya alagaan si Luna. Alam ninyo bakit siya ganyan? Grabe kasi siya magmahal,e.  She has so much love in her heart po, Ma'am Ara. So much.  That I was once her greatest enemy but all I feel from her is love .  Kung ako nga ganun.   Kayo pa po kaya? Na ina niya?  Kung gusto ninyo po makita si Regina --- paglaban ninyo po.  Kasi your daughter? She loves hard."

She started nodding and saying her farewell to Ara.  A confused Ara held Narda's hand trying to reach out to her. 

But Narda just kept walking away, grabbing her Jansport backpack as she walked towards the cross-walk.  Her eyes blurred by tears.  She walked on the street, briskly wiping her tears away.   She held onto her chest that now had made itself known.

  It was a pang that cried out because it loved Regina.

And yet she could not even tell Regina the truth. 

And yet she deceived her.

The time was rapidly ticking, she knew she was going to lose Regina soon.

Her phone rang and it was Regina.  Narda instantly answered. 

"Smugface, ok ka lang? You sound like you are crying?" 

There was intense worry in the other line.

"Hindi --- masama lang pakiramdam ko." 

Narda had to lie.  Again.  She thought to herself.

"Oh my God, do you need something? Like padala ba kita ng cough meds? I told you stop overworking yourself!"

"Hindi, Kamahalan, ano ka ba, ok lang ako.  Pssh.  Strong ito,"  Narda curved her lips, while she exhaled.

"Well, I just wanted to see how you are --- off ka na, 'di ba?" Regina asked.

"Kamahalan, nakita ko nga pala Mom mo.  Sana 'wag ka magalit na nakausap ko siya, ah?"

"She can tell you whatever the hell she wants. I do not really give a fuck," Regina said bitterly in her trademark ways, full of spite. 

There was sudden silence on the phone.  Narda inhaled some air, she wished she could tell the truth right then but she knew even the truth was not for her to own.  As if even something as little as that was a luxury for her.

"Look--- sorry, Narda that came out wrong.  I just really wanted to check na ok ka lang kasi.  I just want to say good night.  I just want to say I love you before I go to bed," Regina said tersely as if it was the most logical thing to say.

"I love you too, Kamahalan.  Kahit ano mangyari, ah?"

As Narda said those words, tears suddenly fell again to her cheeks.   When they hung up, she looked at the screensaver on her phone, her thumb caressing the glass case.  Her teardrops falling onto the photo of her and Regina.

She looked at the date and she knew time was passing by too quickly.

------------------------------------

It was days before the Anthony's Ball and everyone was getting ready. People were buying tickets. The fundraising reaching hundreds and thousands of Pesos. The online ticket sales were through the roof as goals were being reached.

Luna was in her plaid jacket looking at the ballroom and the castle effect was now built up. It looked like they were in the Midsummer Night's Dream with the designs of magic and a make-shift moon. She smiled at Luce's design.

She put on her airpods, listening to Bini's "Kinikilig" as she was about to leave the hotel ballroom, Luce in his usual polo shirt, waved goodbye to her.

And the song blasted into her senses.

Hours later,  she was at Albert Andrada's fashion house, looking at all her potential gowns for the ball.

As she wore her poufy pink dress, she had sadness well in her eyes while she stared at herself in the mirror.

"O bakit ganyan itsura mo? You look beautiful in the dress!" the designer exclaimed.

Why wasn't she looking forward to having Carson as her date?

------------------

Kinikilig... kinikilig ako

The same song was playing in the little fancy bar.

Carson was in the dark speakeasy, taking shots with his four teammates.  He wore his sports jacket while he had a double shot of an amber old-fashioned in his hand.

"Gentlemen! Makukuha ko na si Luna sa Anthony's Ball! I got the best suite in that hotel. Ang ganda ng room.  May romantic music.  Rose petals. Champagne.  She will be all over me, pare," He yelled out like a warrior cry.

"Bro, no, you would not," his teammate said, shaking his head.

"You wanna put money on that? This is what separates boy versus men.  Umuubra talaga mag-neg ng girls," Carson lifted the glass as if he called for a celebratory cheers.

They all downed their shots, boisterous laughter echoed all over the VIP room.

--------------------

Sinulyapan, nginitian na parang tayo lang nandito
Kinikilig, kinikilig, pinakilig mo ako

Narda looked morose as she focused on her dorm-room desk. There were thumb-tacked photos all over, all her moments with Regina Vanguardia.

She realized how much they have gone through in their three months together.  Her eyes remained despondent as she added another Polaroid to her desk.

She had to snap out of her dark thoughts. She suddenly felt warm hands covering up her eyes.

"Kamahalan ko," she said in her usual smug manner, trying to control her laughter.

"Corny. That was quick --- I am not even wearing perfume," Regina pouted.

"Kamahalan, alam na alam ng bawat senses ko si Regina Vanguardia. Touch, smell, hearing, seeing... tasting," Narda said raising both her eyebrows.

They instantly held hands,  Regina had to remind Narda to try on dresses for the Anthony's Ball tomorrow.

Narda forced an arrogant smile but she was slowly being eaten up inside.

Palapit nang palapit ang Anthony's Ball.  Malapit ka na yata mawala saakin, Regina.

----------------

By the time they were trying on dresses in Regina's bedroom,  Narda looked awkward the entire time.

Dresses were too itchy. She looked like a Donya. Too many ruffles.  Some looked like she was a she-hulk with her biceps.

Narda looked ill-at-ease in all of it.

It was not like those movie montages that someone got a makeover.

Narda just kept looking worse in all of the outfits.

"Regina, para akong loofah na tinubuan ng tao," Narda cackled in her usual hyena-like laugh, when she looked at herself in the mirror.

Narda settled into Regina's church dress, it was a simple striped pink dress.

"Eto nalang! Bagay saakin,o!"

Regina realized Narda when dressed up always looked like a strict old school director.  Like the same one she had in Holy Names Academy.

"Is this always your usual look? I did not know girlfriend ko pala yung 80 year old principal ko noong high school," Regina said, tilting her head.   She plopped on her bed, wondering if anything would work for Narda.

"Hot for teacher night, ayaw mo nun?" Narda retorted.

"My principal was not 4'10..."

"Kamahalan! Grabe siya maka--- abot kaya ako ng five feet," Narda said defensively.

------------

Luckily, Rex was not home that night.  Regina made some of her chicken adobo for Narda, she was meticulous as she prepped the sizzling dish on Narda's plate.   The whole place still smelled like garlic and pepper.  They were at the marbled Vanguardia kitchen, the place in disarray because Regina was all over with the ingredients and the pans. 

Narda was still in her girlfriend's Sunday dress, unable to wait anymore because she was famished. 

She was so hungry, she kept licking her fingers by the time chicken got to the table.

"Narda, could you stop doing that with your fingers?  Baka ano magawa natin," Regina exclaimed, feigning shock.

"Bentang benta talaga sex appeal ko sa'yo, Kamahalan!  Iba talaga gayuma ng Nueva Esperanza."

Regina laughed and lazily sat on Narda's lap as they stayed there in the kitchen.  She leaned in and nuzzled her girlfriend on her neck.

"You can look like a librarian or a principal... or a loofah.  You're still going to be my best-looking date.  Sorry if I was forcing my style on you," Regina mused.

"Wag ka magalala... maghananap ako sa mga pambeauty pageant nina Kylie at mga pinsan kong babae.  At marami pa ako sopresa sa'yo pag dating sa Anthony's Ball."

Narda smiled as she grabbed Regina's hand,  gently kissing her on her knuckles.  Her eyes boring into the pristine brown eyes of her girlfriend.

"Why do you always look at me that way?"
Regina asked, she almost sounded offended.

"Like what way?"

"Like you always have to say goodbye.  It's not like I am leaving for New York yet."

Narda did not have an answer.

---------------

By the next night,  Narda was at the Calypso bar pleading with the burly owner.  She was right at the kitchen, asking for just some time with Kitchie Nadal.

"Narda --- ano naman gagawin mo sa talent?  Wala ka ngang pambayad, kaya ka nga waitress dito at kung anu-ano mga ginagawa mo," the owner shook his head as he stroked his beard, barely even paying attention to the petite woman.

"Sir, please po.  Baka lang makausap ko siya --- charity lang naman," Narda pleaded, her hands clasped together.

The owner was busy with his inventory as he went around counting the bottles of vodka in front of him in the full bar.  He did not have time to even speak to Narda.

"Narda," a voice called out.

It was Ara with her bass guitar, overhearing Narda and the owner.  She stood there in her leather pants, looking at Narda from head to toe.

"Can I help?"

Narda tightened her jaw as she looked at Ara's brown eyes.

She had the exact same caramel-like eyes as her girlfriend, she realized.

-----------------

Kinikilig was blaring on the dance floor.

Ding, Richard, and Luce all had matching tuxes as they looked at the mirror towards the theater entrance.   They had retro shades on as if they were part of the 1970s.  The men started dancing around and stroking their chins, doing their most handsome poses.

Luce put his arm around the two guys with him.

"Gentlemen, kahit wala tayong mga date at mga basted tayo---- I am glad I have you guys sa term ko dito sa Padua U.  One of the best things about college life is friendship," Luce announced.

"Ang tatapang ng mga pabango natin.  Amoy tayo Rexona for men--- doon sa parte ng grocery," Richard pointed out.

"Ano na? Tara.  Nandito na mga eligible bachelors," Ding said cheering.

Soon, they pushed the doors to the dance ----

It was finally the St. Anthony's Ball  - it was a midnight blue and golden night, there were glittering string of lights everywhere, the tulle draped everywhere around the tables, and everyone was celebrating on the dance floor.  The lights were flickering all over. 

There were already make-shift beer pong tables at the end of the exit.

Some college kids were already throwing up in the trash can with all the champagne they drank.  Some were already barefoot in the lobby.  The couples were gyrating to the thumping music.  Everyone was dressed up in their tuxes and gowns.  Everyone was documenting everything on their phones, it was the ultimate Padua University tradition.  Total debauchery for charity.

Carson was in his white tux.  Sitting with his group of friends, he had a  leather-wrapped flask filled with Baijiu, barely paying attention to the dance. 

While, Luna was in her opulent, electric pink Albert Andrada gown, running around making sure everything was working for the party.

"Carson, don't you wanna dance?" Luna asked.

"Mamaya, baby," Carson said, showing off his dimples.

When Luna walked away, Carson was quiet while he showed his golden suite card to his friends. The table was filled with his usual crowd of models, varsity men, and spoiled conglomerate kids.

He showed them the card so proudly.   It was a grand hotel suite for him and Luna.

"The afterparty," he smiled, while he kept drinking.

----------------------------

Luna was stressed out as she walked around the busy dance floor, making sure everything was perfect.  Until she bumped into a young man in big shield sunglasses and a velvet black tuxedo.

"Luce?" Luna laughed.

"Mademoiselle! Don't you look so beautiful. Belle femme," Luce exclaimed in an exaggerated manner.

"You clean up nicely!"

"O habang hindi pa slow-dance ang music, may I have this dance, Miss Luna Vanguardia? Friendzone dance!"

Luna had to cover her mouth giggling at Luce who started dancing to the P-Pop song.  The two of them knew the Bini dance steps like it was a cheerleading routine.  They both got lost into the huge crowd, jumping up and down to the loud music.

----------------------------

May ibang nararamdaman

Nakakabaliw, ikaw lang ang laman ng isipan

Regina walked into the dance in her scarlet beaded dress made out of Swarovski crystals, she looked like she was straight from the 1950s noir film with her slick hair.  She looked around the crowded dance floor.  Her red matte lipstick was in full bold color over the dim lights, her eyes wandering around trying to find her date.  Narda told her she was going to be late. 

She squinted her eyes until she finally saw her emerge onto the spotlight. 

Narda Custodio looked ravishing in her red cut-out dress that revealed her tight stomach, she walked unhurriedly with her thigh high slit and her high heels.  She did not have much makeup but she turned heads while she walked in.  Soon, her smoky eyes looked at Regina with innocent happiness when they finally caught each other's gaze.

"Where did you get the dress?" Regina asked as she held her hand.

"Sa fashion house po, Kamahalan..."

"What brand? What fashion house?"

"Sa Fashion House ni Aling Gelai sa Tiangge, Couture Baclaran," Narda smirked, intertwining their fingers together.

"Ready for the ball?" Regina posed as the photographers took pictures of them.

---------------

The couple tried to dance with the rowdy crowd when the truth was Regina was bored out of her mind.

She had just seen her sister dancing with Luce, she assumed that was always a better choice than the vile miscreant, Carson Chu.

Regina had to sigh in her annoyance, this was just not her crowd. The things she would do for her sister.

"You wanna get out of here?" Regina asked in a sing-song manner, her eyebrows already furrowing. She was already pouting like the brat that she was.

"Last year na natin dito, Kamahalan. Let us mingle," Narda taunted.

"But I do not wanna mingle!"

Regina was barely in her spirits, not even observing the crowd that was already going wild. She just stared at Narda, convincing her girlfriend that they should go.

Until she heard the familiar bang of the drums and the sudden thunder-clap of the guitars strumming. It was the Kitchie Nadal song "Bulong".

"What the fuck," Regina suddenly blurted out, her voice going high-pitched.

She looked at the stage and there was her idol in her simple jeans and t-shirt belting out the song.

Narda pushed Regina towards the front of the growing crowd, holding onto her girlfriend's waist tightly.

Somewhere Carson looked on bitterly as he picked a fight with Luna, he suddenly walked out of the theater.

"Bakit siya ----" Regina was so excited and confused at the same time.

"Pabor yan saakin ng Calypso. May mga tumulong --- buti pumayag," Narda said jumping up and down to the banging of the drums. It was as if she was controlling the percussion herself.

Regina was in awe while she stared at her girlfriend, her light brown eyes filled with so much love.

Narda held Regina's waist while they swayed to the music. Both of them yell-singing. Regina memorized every line, she smiled like a child, the happiness rushing all the way to her heart.

Then the music stopped, there was a deafening audio-feedback as the singer spoke into the microphone.

"Yung next song ko --- biggest hit ko. Pero may gusto sana po ako kaduet. Kung pwede po ba tumaas si Miss Regina Vanguradia? Sabayan mo naman ako kumanta? Balita ko mana ka sa Mommy mo. Magaling ka raw kumanta. Sige na, samahan mo na ako."

The crowd started cheering uproariously as they chanted Regina's name.

"REGINA! REGINA! REGINA! HINDI NA MISS MINCHIN YAN!" People yelled out.

Regina widened her eyes and her hands started getting clammy. She shook her head and looked at Narda in fear.

"Kamahalan, dream come true mo ito--- eto na --- tangina nilang lahat. This is your dream. Rock and roll,-- pakita mo sa kanilang lahat, Regina --- hindi lang dapat tinatago sa kwarto ang boses na yan," Narda yelled, blowing hot air into Regina's cold hands.

The lights dimmed as the guitar chords strummed and Kitchie was singing to the first parts of the song. The singer was inviting Regina as she waved with her hand.

Regina nervously approached the mic stand, singing softly with Kitchie. But then the music reverberated to her soul, her heart ached for the song.

And soon, her voice started getting louder with each crescendo.

Then, she hit the chorus and she closed her eyes, singing like she was in her room again. Her voice surprising everyone.

Oh woh woh
'Wag na 'wag mong sasabihin
Na hindi mo nadama itong
Pag-ibig kong handang
Ibigay kahit pa kalayaan mo

"GIRLFRIEND KO YAN!!! WOO!" Narda proudly shouted. Narda was just as ecstatic, her whole face had to smile as if morning sunshine was beaming on her face.

Regina finally opened her eyes, she gazed lovingly at Narda. She pointed at her girlfriend while she sang some more.

At sa gabi, sinong duduyan sa 'yo
At sa umaga, ang hangin na'ng hahaplos sa 'yo, oh

She belted out the song, the crowd swayed their arms in unison and started cheering, howling at the mini-concert. Narda kept clapping her hands while she smiled at her girlfriend, tears welling in her eyes.

She was so happy for Regina but her heart knew the ball was about to end.

Ding finally caught up with Narda and he put his arm around her as he started dancing with the song. Luce and Richard ran around the two as they started spraying each other with party strings. The confetti started raining on the crowd as the song ended. The instrumentals were still playing as they rocked out to the rest of the song.

Regina descended from the stage and ran towards her girlfriend, unable to finish the whole song. She then grabbed Narda by the hand, pulling her towards the dark confines of the theater. Away from the rest of the crowd.

There were no words from the two, Regina swiftly cupped Narda's petite face and kissed her passionately. Unapologetically. Her fingers held her girlfriend's jawline as they deepened the kiss. Her mouth so soft against Narda's.

Slowly, Narda melted into her embrace, wrapping her arms around Regina's bare waist. When they finally stopped, they danced to the music around them. Slowly and lost in each other's worlds. Eyes gazing each other, foreheads close, and hearts thudding as they embraced some more.

--------------------------

Carson had invited Luna to the grand hotel suite upstairs at the 50th floor.

He was mad at her because he saw her dance with Luce. She had tried to calm him down and the only way to get to his senses was if they talked in his suite.

He had excused the suite was for the group, the after-party. But somehow after he had apologized to Luna profusely, she found herself kissing him again as if showing she had forgiven him.

His kisses still tasted like strong liquor. Their kissing was getting more intense again and Luna felt an obligation to understand him.

But Carson seemingly was distracted, he was busy texting on his phone, telling Luna he was just inviting the others for champagne after the dance.

Carson then moved to the bathroom, saying he had to get some things ready.

Luna was alone in the vast King bed, the room overlooking Metro Manila, the air-conditioning was cold, and the huge room was pristine white. His phone kept buzzing, she noticed he did not lock it.

She peered onto the phone screen, a familiar name was on it.

"Narda Custodio".

She was not one to be nosy, Luna was brought up to respect people's possessions as a Vanguradia.

But her gut told her to look at the phone.

--------------

Carson took off his tux and he was now down to his silk boxers, wearing the hotel bath robe. He looked at himself in the mirror, anger was apparent in his eyes as he drank the Armand De Brignac champagne from the bottle.

Tonight was his night, Regina would know now how it is to be truly shattered, he thought.

Her most precious sister will be heartbroken after he beds her.

Just like what Regina did to him six years ago.

He swung open the mahogany bathroom door, plastering a smile as he approached Luna.

"Where were we, Baby? Cheers?" He asked with a forced wholesome smile.

By the time he caught Luna, she was tearing up and had fury in her hazel eyes, reddened and unforgiving. Her hands were shaking as she held on to his iPhone.

She read all the messages.

"You paid Narda Custodio to date my sister? Magkano? Ang daming GCash notifications? At ano itong sinasabi mo dahil galit ka kay Ate? What is this SICK plan, Carson? What the fuck?! I asked for help but I did not ask you to hurt my sister!"

Carson suddenly panicked and grabbed the phone away from Luna. Shoving her in the process as she landed on the bed. The flurry of pink in her dress, in contrast with the white bed.

"Oo. I paid Narda to take out your dumb bitch of a sister. Hindi ba gusto mo ng tulong? Ayan binigay ko sa'yo. Pasalamat ka nga dapat saakin,e!"

"Not like this, Carson. My sister cares for me. My sister only has love for me --- what are you doing? Did you even have feelings for me or is this some sick plan against my sister," Luna was livid while she spoke.

"Your sister is a hypocrite! Just like you. Biglang nalang ayaw mo bigla? Habang pinlano mo naman ito? Inutus- utusan mo pa kami ni Luciano Corpuz. Don't play innocent, Luna. Pero ganyan din naman kapatid mo,e. Magaling magpakainosente. Love? Such bullshit. Parang Ate mo rin. Kilala mo ba talaga Ate mo? Alam mo ba ex ko Ate mo? Naging kami six years ago pero dahil nakakaputa siya---- I am bringing her own karma. Pero at least I got to third base with her," Carson spat out.

The drunken stupor was now getting to Carson as sweat trickled on his bare chest. He slowly walked over to Luna as he set aside his champagne bottle. His hand slowly tucked her hair to her ear, his fingers crawled to her chin.

"Why Luna? Do you want me to love you? I am sorry --- ganun lang ako magmahal--- the things I will do. Pero I realized ikaw na pala gusto ko?" He asked seductively.

His lips crawled to her chin and he moved towards her lips.

But Luna suddenly pushed him with all her strength.

Carson fell to the carpeted floor just as he was about to stand up, Luna's fist landed on his nose.

He fell back on to the floor, not knowing what came over him.

"PARA KAY ATE!" Luna said as she still had tears on her face.

"Fuck, Luna! Give it up, sira naman na ang gagang Ate mo, " Carson yelled out in pain, while he held his nose.

He stood up again, walking towards her and with that her knee hit his balls.

Right at his silk boxers.

"At ayan? Para sa putanginang third base mo," Luna was exhausted by the time she looked at him wriggling in pain.

She grabbed her pink purse as she slammed the door to the hotel room.

She briskly ran and ran towards the elevator of the hotel.

She now kept calling her.

Her Ate Regina.

-------------------------------------------------------

Regina let Narda drive her Dodge around the creek, they sat there overlooking the waters in the night. They were quiet and solemn almost, tired from the dance. They had changed into their flipflops and hoodies over their dresses, still reeling from the Anthony's Ball.

Regina rested on Narda's shoulder, her body hugging into her girlfriend's strong arm. They stared at the moon that had a seductive and iridescent glow.

Then Narda's digital watch started ringing. It was 12 midnight.

Regina looked confused when she heard it. Narda looked at her watch with heaviness and sorrow reflecting in her dark eyes.

Her eyebrows furrowed and she had to tighten her jaw. This was like Cinderella, her carriage will now be a pumpkin. The princess charming that Regina Vanguardia fell in love with was nothing but a fraud.

Regina noticed there were messages on her email, links to files from Narda. It was entitled "Narda's Confession".

"Ano ito? Recording? Bakit ang laking file?" Regina started laughing.

"Regina --- hindi ko kaya talaga sabihin sa'yo ngayon. Pero diyan --- diyan ko lang kaya sabihin lahat. Regina ---- please, gusto ko malaman mo na mah---"

But before Regina could completely hear out Narda's words her phone started ringing. It was Luna.

"O? Luna... I told you nga I am still by the creek. You know doon sa likod ng school? Are you ok? Oh you're nearby? Why do you sound like may emergency? Ok ka lang ba?"

Regina signaled for Narda to stop. Once she hung up, worry was written all over Regina's face.

"Regina --- please---- makinig ka muna," Narda stuttered, tears now welling again in her eyes. She was a nervous wreck, she was shuddering from the coldness of the night.

"NARDA! PWEDE BA? Saka muna mga surprises at pakulo mo... my sister has an emergency!"

Regina waited outside her car as she looked out for Luna. Suddenly, the family Mercedes Benz came in with their driver, Ali.

Luna came out of the SUV with rage and despair all over her eyes.

Narda slammed the Dodge car door and stood behind Regina, also worried about Luna.

"ATE REGINA! Tara na!" Luna screamed out, it was frightening, almost like it was primal.

"What the hell, Luna --- are you ok? Ano ba yan? Are you drunk?" Regina said angrily.

Luna then charged towards Narda and pushed her, smacking her over her chest. The young mestiza was raging mad at the sight of Narda. Almost like an animal ready to attack.

"YOU STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM MY SISTER!"

Narda knew as soon as she saw Luna's eyes that the truth had unraveled.

Narda looked helpless as it all dawned on her, she did not own her truth and she now had to face her fate. The real consequences of her actions. She wanted this to happen ---

but not like this. Not this way.

"Luna!" Regina growled, shielding Narda away from her sister, protecting her girlfriend.

But Narda defenselessly stood there as if she was waiting for her sentence. Her mouth was agape, unable to react.

Paralyzed.

"YOUR GIRLFRIEND RIGHT HERE, ATE? Na pinaglalaban mo kay Dad? Is part of Carson Chu's sick plan. YOU TELL MY SISTER, NARDA! How much did Carson Chu pay you? Ano? Magkano para ligawan Ate ko? Magkano parang maging parte ng SICK PLAN NINYO! YOU ARE SICK!"

Regina forced laughter out of her mouth, shaking her head. No way, she said. She looked at Narda, this must be a joke.

Not you, she kept telling herself. Like a prayer, she said it over and over.

Not you.

"NARDA-- totoo ba?'di ba hindi?" Regina murmured, there was an innocent tone to her.

"Regina," Narda stammered.

"Narda --- defend yourself. I believe you, ok? Please? Say something."

Narda was unable to answer as she felt the pang in her chest. She dragged her feet and slowly tried to hold on to Regina's arm. She treaded carefully like she could fall into fire any time soon.

"Narda - PLEASE. PUTANGINA. SAGUTIN MO AKO. TOTOO BA?! ANSWER ME! ANSWER THE FUCKIN QUESTION!"

"I am so sorry, Regina," Narda finally said with certainty, tears started to fall nonstop as she clenched her eyes shut.

And with those words, Regina felt her heart drop to her stomach. She backed away from Narda, flinching at her touch.

It was like a blunt force she felt inside. It even hurt to breathe. It hurt even more to look at her. The anguish started burning her throat.

Her mouth suddenly opened as if trying to breathe while desperately drowning.

"Narda," her shattered voice broke into a sob.

-----------------------------------------------

What will happen now to Regina and Narda?

What will happen to a shrew who had walls built around her heart, only to open it up for someone who is just made to be a weapon against her?

'till next chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

634K 20.6K 71
Tyler Alexis, isang lalaki na kilala bilang babaero. Siya ay leader ng Red gang at may-ari ng University. Pero hindi nito inaasahan na yung karisma n...
421K 12K 46
She was NEVER MINE to begin with.
1.3M 19.2K 41
Dice and Madisson
30.8K 309 11
What if one day, you meet someone who will bring the best in you? And someone who can show to you what love and happiness is. And someone who can tur...