By Fortunate Chance

By kinkielou16

A story about college lovers who fell apart. Will they be able to rekindle their romance? Disclaimer: Some n... More

The Freshman
The First Move
The Unwanted Hindrance
The Rekindling
The Falling Apart
The Multiple Choice
The Big Decision
The Ball Life
The Second Chance
The Cunning Snake
The Surprise Birthday

The Mysterious Hero

150 11 1
By kinkielou16

"Serrano! De Leon! Is there something funny on the board?"

"None, ma'am!" Mara and Jane answered in unison, both trying to keep themselves from laughing. They were whispering and giggling over what Jane told her last Saturday, and now, they can't believe how the once loud and annoying Julien, is sitting really quiet at the front row. Both Mara and Jane are sitting two rows away at the back and they could see Julien just leaning with her head on her hand.

"Stop now, Mara, we're being too rude now", Jane rebuked her friend while still smiling.

The bell rang for the next class. A couple of minutes after, 4 Biology students from a different class entered the room through the back door. Three girls and a guy. All heads looked back wondering why they were there, as 2 of them took the two seats beside Jane while the second half of the quartet took the empty seats at their back.

"Hi Jane! Is this seat taken?" Jane looked up and to her surprise, it was the senior from the freshmen orientation.

Jane blushed. "Uhm... Hello! No, y---you may take them".

The room suddenly was filled with buzz. Some of the students were tapping Julien. Since the orientation, Julien was too vocal about her crush on the senior.

Jane did not want to compete, although this chic is really something. She's pristine. She was fair-skinned, quite Jane's type. Her hair was neatly tied to a bun. She has dimples showing whenever she smiles and she's so articulate when she talks. She's really quite Jane's type.

But before anything could begin, she decided not to get into the competition. So as if with permission, she resigned and surrendered to the loud Julien.

Julien, who beforehand was awkwardly silent, turned to face Jane, and made an I-see-you sign, pointing two fingers at the latter. Jane was not intimidated at all, in fact, she found it pathetic but she did not want to engage.

Jane gave Mara a look, and both laughed.

"We saw you at the gym during the practice. You were so good." One of them said, trying to initiate a conversation, while their professor hasn't arrived yet.

"You're so pretty and handsome at the same time. I think I have a crush on you." The other one confidently blurted out giving a cute laugh. "Too much sex appeal!"

Jane was now feeling awkward, she never liked first encounters. Good thing, Mara was on her rescue. "Are you playing for the team too?"

"Yes, actually we're part of the cheerdance squad".

So, Mara and their new classmates started a conversation. Jane didn't want to indulge. As she was opening her bag to get her book, the girl beside her asked, "Is this the Ecology class?"

"Yes, this is."

As if understanding the confused look on Jane's face, the senior began to explain, "We're actually 4th year Biology students, as you already know. We had to add this subject as we were unable to take it before. Our professor, which I presume is also your professor, suggested that we join your class from here on now, since there are only 4 of us. It's not in conflict with any of our subjects anyway so yes, we agreed. I'm Julia, by the way." She held out her hand introducing herself.

"This is Toni", pointing to the first girl who spoke to Jane, sitting next to her. And pointing at the back, Julia introduced the two other, "That one is Victoria, and this only guy here is Joseph".

"Hi, nice meeting you." Jane took Julia's hand and shook it. "And, this is Mara here."

A few minutes later, their Ecology professor showed up. "I'm sorry class I cannot meet you for a lecture today. I'll be making an announcement though. As you can see, I've joined my other class with you because we'll be planning a field trip. As ecology students, you need to expose yourself to the environment, learn and experience the real nature. Our first trip should be to see corals and study them, and we're going to have an island hopping for that."

"I want you to group yourselves by pair, one is going to record and monitor all data, while the other one is going to do all the physical stuff, or you may also switch roles throughout the duration if you'd like."

"The agenda during the trip will be to take pictures of the corals, as many as you can. Take note of the different species found in each island we go to. I haven't booked a schedule yet, we'll probably have to wait until the Intramurals is done, so for now I'm open to your suggestions. And as early as now, please pick a partner. And if possible, stay away from your closest friends. Are we clear, Serrano and De Leon?" Miss Villanueva said turning to the two. This made the whole class burst into laughter. Mara and Jane looked at each other and laughed, waving a small bye-bye to each other.

Suddenly, Jane felt a tap on the shoulder, "I'd like to pair with you." She looked to her right and it was Julia. Jane didn't hesitate and said, "Sure!" Julien is going to kill me for this.

Mara gave her a look, but Jane did not bother, so the former gently poked the latter's head. Mara reached out to Toni, who she instantly became friends with.

"I'll now give the time for you guys to plan ahead with your partner. Once you're done, you can leave the classroom. See you next meeting!" Ms. Villanueva announced.

Mara signaled to Julia to exchange seats with her so she and Toni can talk about their plans, while Jane and Julia can do the same.

Jane could feel eyes on her but she didn't care. While she decided that there was no competition, she's now ready to engage, since it was Julia who took the first step.

"So how's it going to be? Maybe..." Julia started.

"First of all, do you know how to swim?" Jane cut her out. Julia found her question cute and giggled at that. Jane felt her cheeks grow warm.

"Yes, dear, I know how to swim. Do you?"

"Of course, I know. So would you like it if we'd just switch roles? Or do you want me to do the physical stuff?" That sounded awkward, Jane could feel her cheeks grow even warmer.

Julia looked through her eyes, as if connecting instantly. Julia's eyes giggled the way her smile giggle. "I want to see you show off".

F*ck! Jane now felt her ears grow red while her eyes widened. She cleared her throat, "Uhm... We can also take turns though if you like. I---I mean you'd never want to miss seeing the nature down there". Now that came a little off.

Julia gave a shy smile but her dimples were clearly showing and it's somehow charming Jane deliriously.

**********

"And then she was telling me that she wanted me to show off. Then it started getting awkward", Jane exclaimed getting all panicky at Mara, who was staring at her trying not to laugh. They're at the cafeteria to have their lunch. "Seriously, Mara... I'm not scared of Julien but I don't want trouble either. Julien is just being too childish. I am thrilled if this becomes a competition though. But really, what do I do if this Julia makes a move?"

"I like that competition part though, I'd like to finally silence Julien. But Jane, this girl has a real crush on you! Please don't try sending false signals."

"She's the one who initiated it."

This time Mara gave her a harsh look. "Now you're sounding arrogant!"

Feeling embarrassed, Jane gave up the argument and focused on her lunch. If there's any competition she's sure about though, it's the basketball game.

The afternoon was a free time. Jane and Mara decided with Julia and Toni to study and research at the library for species of corals so they can get familiarized with them before they go on their field trip.

Jane and Mara arrived at their rendezvous 10 minutes earlier so they started taking out books from the shelves. A few minutes later, Julia and Toni arrived with some bunch of people. Jane waved a hand at Julia to signal them to come. As she looked, she saw a familiar face. The mysterious girl looking through the window was with them.

The girl caught Jane's eye but turned away in a split of a second. Jane pushed herself halfway standing to see where the girl was going but was interrupted when Julia spoke, "Hi Mara, Hi Jane."

Jane sat back on her chair, her thoughts wandering to where she last saw the girl.

"Hello", Mara responded. "So we already gathered some books here where we can look into. Some of these though are international books, I don't think it would make sense to look into them but maybe we can if we still have time. This here are local researches," Mara said pointing at the other group of books.

"Alright, let's get started".

The three girls were all busy talking, while Jane's thoughts kept wondering about the girl. She couldn't understand how she was drawn to her. She doesn't even know her name yet. They haven't even talked much. But the girl's mysterious eyes keep flashing in her mind, they were deep and gentle at the same time. She still remembers how the girl's golden streaks fell on her face as she was looking at her reflection, while Jane kept staring at her, from her eyes to her lips, to the collarbones that were prominent, to the curves of her body.

"Earth to Jane?", Mara called.

Jane snapped out of her daydreaming. And focused her attention to the meeting.

After an hour or so of being in the library, the group dispersed. They crossed paths at the exit. Julia and Toni caught up with the group they went in with. Jane looked among them but there was no sight of the girl.

"When are we going to meet again?" Julia asked Jane. Jane looked at Mara for help. "Maybe we'll just let you know. We've already listed as much as we can. Perhaps we can meet again next week or even just before the trip to gather the things we need for the monitoring. Cool?"

Julia grabbed Jane's hand and wrote something on her palm, "This is my number then in case you need us". After doing so, the group with them started teasing. As they were about to leave, someone came from behind Jane and Mara.

The two girls at the store! As they passed by, Jane could smell the overpowering scent from the mysterious girl, and she felt her heart skip a beat. The girl gave her a quick glance before moving towards Julia and the group, and it was one glance that Jane wished lasted longer. Their eyes met very briefly and she could feel their gaze connected.

"Jea and Liza are here now. Let's go!"

So they trailed off, their voices echoing, fading, through the corridors.

**********

It was practice day. Jane did not know why she's excited but she hurriedly went to the gym. This time, Mara was no longer with her. Mara planned her own schedule because she did not need to wait for Jane. But they agreed to meet up somewhere for a chill night.

At the gym, Jane saw Julien by the entrance. She decided that she'll just ignore but Julien caught her attention.

"Jane!" Julien called up to her. "Can we switch partners?" She asked in an arrogant manner. Julien this time was not alone. She was with some of her butch friends. Jane did not recognize them so they must be from another course.

"Don't be silly, Julien. I don't even think we're able to that anymore. It's not up to me. You ask Miss Villanueva or try asking Julia instead... besides, I thought you have a girlfriend?"

"I think my girlfriend is about to dump me, anyway. And you know I have a crush on Julia, why did you partner with her?"

"Don't be such a baby, Julien. Besides, it wasn't even me who asked. She asked me. Can you try for once to be a decent human being? Your girlfriend hasn't even dumped you yet." This is such a nonsense conversation, Jane thought. "You're so petty!" She did not mean for that to come out of her mouth.

"What did you say?"

"Look, I do not want to fight over this. Go get her if you want. This is such a stupid conversation. And you know what? I think you deserved that slap!"

Julien clenched her hand into a fist ready to punch Jane out of rage. But was stopped when a girl with golden streaks happen to pass by, turning to Julien, "If you ever dare lay a finger on her, you answer to me".

Before going away, the girl turned to Jane and just gave a quick glance from head to toe. Jane stood there looking more confused.

Just as Jane was about to start a conversation, the girl went away. How could they keep bumping into each other?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Calilily By Ł

General Fiction

337 2 10
A POC and Queer set story of two strangers to lovers. An extroverted, mixed, small drag star attempting to drag himself into the lime light; and a st...
650K 12.6K 46
- F I U F A M I L Y S E R I E S - Book 1 - can be read as stand alone What do you get when you mix two pressured college students, NFL drafts, love c...
5.8K 185 16
Sometimes life is seems to play with you more than you think. When all you want is to love and to be loved. But when you fell for someone that your...
105K 5.3K 91
**Includes SLB Books 1 and 2** Sex, Love, and Basketball follows a groups of girls and a few guys on their journey through life as college students...