UNTIL DAWN

By TheGeekyBard

One night as Xena, Gabrielle and Joxer sit around the campfire, Xena and Gabrielle tell the chilling story ab... More

pt.1
pt.3
pt.4
pt.5
pt.6
pt.7
pt.8
pt.9
Finale

pt.2

37 1 0
By TheGeekyBard

A light fog began to set it as Xena and Gabrielle continued on their way through the forest.

GABRIELLE
Why does this forest need to keep getting creepier?

XENA
It's just a little fog Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE
In my head I know that. But I just can't shake the feeling that something bad is gonna happen if we don't get out of here.

Xena smirked.

XENA
(Creepy voice) Maybe it's already too late.

Xena chuckled at her own humor. Though Gabrielle wasn't exactly in the mood for jokes.

GABRIELLE
(Annoyed tone) Sure laugh it up Xena. Let's see how funny it is when we end up becoming victim to what ever's out there.

Xena sighed.

XENA
Look I'm sorry. I know you're scared okay. I was just trying to lighting the mood a little that's all.

GABRIELLE
I know. I didn't mean to snap at you like that. I just really want to get out of here.

Xena put her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder trying to reassure her that everything was okay.

XENA
Come on the sooner we get through this forest, the better you'll feel.

Xena had them stop walking and get on Argo. Figuring it would be alot quicker to ride. The two rode along quietly for a while.

GABRIELLE
Just how big is this place? It feels like we've been riding forever.

XENA
Not sure I've never been here before.

GABRIELLE
Are you sure we're not lost?

XENA
I don't think so. We've been heading in the same direction since we got here. So logic would dictate that if we keep going, we should reach the exit, eventually.

Gabrielle sighed, not extremely fond of that last part Xena added. As they continued, Gabrielle suddenly felt a chill run down her spine. Xena felt her tense up as she tightened her grip around Xena's waist and looked back at her.

XENA
What's wrong?

GABRIELLE
I don't know. But that feeling I've had since we got here just got way worse.

Xena had Argo stop. As she and Gabrielle stayed on their horse, Xena looked around. Again trying to find what Gabrielle was sensing.

GABRIELLE
Why'd we stop?

XENA
Shh.

Xena listened for anything that could've been a danger of some kind. But like before she didn't hear anything.

GABRIELLE
Anything?

XENA
No. I'm not sure what you're picking up on, but I don't...

Xena suddenly stopped talking mid sentence as she felt a chill race down her spine and her instincts that something was wrong kicked in. Xena instantly went on high alert. Gabrielle noticed Xena's reaction.

GABRIELLE
Xena?

XENA
I think I finally picked up on what you've been sensing. And you were right, there's something really wrong with this forest. We should go, now.

Xena got Argo going again but now they were moving much faster. They galloped through the area, covering ground quickly. Gabrielle held on tightly to Xena as they rode.

GABRIELLE
What do you think is going on?

XENA
No clue, but I have no intention of finding out. All I know is that this place is bad news and we're leaving.

They raced past the trees and foliage as Argo trampled the ground under her hooves. They rode until they came to a small clearing. Sensing danger up ahead, Xena halted their ride. As Argo came to a stop, Xena got down and drew her sword. She looked around, knowing that something was off. Gabrielle got down from Argo and stood beside Xena.

XENA
There's someone or something out there. And whoever it is has been following us.

GABRIELLE
Then Why'd we stop? I thought we were leaving.

XENA
Change of plans we're not going anywhere.

GABRIELLE
What do you mean we're not leaving? Don't tell me that you suddenly wanna stay.

XENA
Trust me Gabrielle I want to leave this forest behind just as much as you do.

GABRIELLE
Then let's go already.

XENA
(Sighs) We can't.

GABRIELLE
What?

XENA
I think we're stuck here.

GABRIELLE
Why would you think that?

XENA
Because think about how long we've been riding through here and there seems to be no end to the forest in sight.

GABRIELLE
Couldn't we just turn around and go back the way we came?

XENA
I already turned us around a while ago. We should've already made it out. I think something's keeping us trapped here.

GABRIELLE
The same thing we've been sensing.

XENA
Most likely.

GABRIELLE
So now what?

XENA
We find whatever's keeping us here and make it let us go.

?
You can try.

Xena held her sword ready as she looked around for whoever just spoke. The chill she felt before returned.

XENA
Show yourself.

?
No not yet.

Xena scowled.

XENA
Who are you? And what do you want with us?

?
You'll find out who I am soon enough. And as for what I want, that's simple. The two of you just happened to have walked into my trap.

XENA
Care to elaborate.

?
It's nothing personal. I don't even know who either of you are. But over the past couple of centuries I've made this forest my home after escaping from that god's forsaken place known as Tartarus. I get bored so easily these days, so when you showed up I could hardly contain my excitement to have a couple of new play things.

XENA
If you want something to play with get yourself a doll. We aren't here for your entertainment.

.?
Oh but that's where you're wrong. Now should I get to explaining the rules of my little game?

XENA
That depends. What if we decide that we don't wanna participate in this game of yours?

?
Then all hope for your escape is already gone.

Gabrielle leaned in close to Xena.

GABRIELLE
(Whisper) I think we should here what he has to say.

Xena nodded in agreement.

XENA
Alright what's the deal with this game?

?
I thought you'd see things my way.

XENA
Get on with it. We don't have all night here.

The voice laughed a little.

?
Actually that's exactly what you do have.

XENA
What?

?
The rules are simple. All you have to do is make it through the night in my forest. And if you do the spell that holds you here will be broken and you'll be free to leave.

XENA
And just what do you mean by "make it through the night"?

?
Because I am also participating in this game. And to put it in a way you would easily understand, let's just say that I'm "it". And that the results of you being caught are just to die for.

The voice let out an evil laugh that echoed around Xena and Gabrielle. Xena clenched her fist as she looked around, trying to see if she could locate whoever was behind this. But there was only her and Gabrielle.

XENA
Fine you wanna play, we'll play. But I have no intention on losing this sick little game of yours.

?
And I wouldn't have it any other way. Otherwise it wouldn't be nearly as fun. I look forward to meeting you face to face. Until then take care.

The voice laughed as it faded out. Xena and Gabrielle tried to process the situation that they now found themselves in.

GABRIELLE
Great we're being held in a creepy forest by some unknown psycho who wants to hunt us down and then kill us just for the fun of it.

Gabrielle walked over to nearby fallen tree and sat down.

GABRIELLE
How is it that we always seem to attract the worst kinds of trouble.

XENA
(Sarcasm) Must be that fantastic luck we're always having.

Xena walked over and sat beside Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE
So what do we do now?

XENA
The only thing we can do. Survive until dawn.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

441 1 17
When Xena and Gabrielle help a group of amazons fleeing from slavers, they're invited to the women's village. Where they soon learn that their new fr...
149 1 13
The story of Gabrielle's journey after Xena dies in the Xena Warrior Princess series finale "A Friend In Need" as she carries on traveling around hel...
65 10 10
Artemis and her family have survived the threat of the hunters, but what other horrors lurk? Join Artemis and Lena on a journey to not only pure surv...
157 0 8
When Xena's guilt causes her to make a half-hearted wish, things take a very strange turn.