UNTIL DAWN

By TheGeekyBard

One night as Xena, Gabrielle and Joxer sit around the campfire, Xena and Gabrielle tell the chilling story ab... More

pt.2
pt.3
pt.4
pt.5
pt.6
pt.7
pt.8
pt.9
Finale

pt.1

60 1 1
By TheGeekyBard

The cold air sent chills down everyone's spines as lightening flashed lighting up the dark room. The sound of thunder roared as a figure stepped into the doorway. The people in the small house shook with fear as the giant shadow approached with a frightening growl. The unknown creature slowly began walking up to it's soon to be victims, stalking it's prey. A woman in the group cried out for help as the creature showed it's razor sharp fangs. Drool oozing from it's mouth, the creature got closer as it got ready for the kill. Just as the monster was about to strike, a voice spoke up from behind the creature.

?
I think you're looking for your dinner in the wrong place.

The creature looked back and saw a tall, strong, noble, brave, mighty hero standing in the doorway.

WOMAN
We're saved.

The woman's face lit up, knowing that her hero had come. She ran and quickly took shelter behind the brave warrior.

WOMAN
Thank the gods you're here.

?
Fear not my fair maiden for I will not allow any harm to come to you. Now stand back while I dispatch of this beast.

The warrior drew their sword., and prepared to charge the monster.

WOMAN
Wait before you go, please great hero. Could you tell me your name.

The brave and strong warrior looked at the woman and gave her a stunningly attractive smile.

?
Of course my lady. I am the great hero known far and wide as Joxer, Joxer The Mighty.

The ruggedly handsome Joxer The Mighty ran towards the monster. Swinging his sword and carving into it's flesh with his trusty blade. The creature's blood sprayed on the floor. The creature swung at Joxer with its claws. But he was too fast and blocked. Then cut the monster again. The creature roared as it backed away, trying to retreat.

JOXER
Ha ha there is no escape foul beast.

Joxer charged in and drove his sword through the creature. The creature whimpered as more of it's blood was spilled. The great hero yanked his blade out as the monster fell dead. The woman ran over to her new hero.

WOMAN
Oh thank you for saving me great hero.

JOXER
No need to thank me fare lady, your safety is all the thanks I need.

The woman hugged him and kissed his cheek.

JOXER
Now let's get you out of here.

Joxer lifted the woman into his strong arms and began walking towards the door. But then the door slammed shut as an evil laugh echoed through the room.

EVIL VOICE
You think you've won? Fools now you're trapped. You're mine!

Joxer put the woman down as he looked around for the creature.

JOXER
Come out and face me.

The creature laughed, as Joxer saw blood begin to run down the walls and seep up through the floor boards.

EVIL VOICE
You're doomed! DOOMED! AH HA HA HA HA!

XENA
Stop! For the love of the gods just stop.

JOXER
What?

Joxer looked at Xena who was sitting on the other side of the campfire.

XENA
This story is ridiculous.

JOXER
No it's very, very scary. Right Gabby?

Joxer looked at Gabrielle who was sitting next to Xena.

GABRIELLE
Well, it was certainly uh, interesting.

Joxer sighed.

JOXER
You didn't like it either did you?

GABRIELLE
(Lying) I think it just needs a little more tweaking.

XENA
(Quietly/ Sarcasm) More like a complete exorcism.

Gabrielle nudged Xena in the side with her elbow. Xena shot her a an annoyed look.

JOXER
Okay Xena you think it's so easy to tell a scary story. Why don't you try?

XENA
Hey we all know Gabrielle's the story teller here.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
Actually I like that idea.

Gabrielle got another irritated look from Xena.

GABRIELLE
Come on, it'll be fun.

Gabrielle gave Xena her prettiest smile as she baited the warrior with her big green eyes. Xena sighed knowing that Gabrielle knew full well what she was doing and that Xena wouldn't be able to say no.

XENA
Fine.

Gabrielle smiled, satisfied. Xena leaned close to Whisper in Gabrielle's ear so Joxer wouldn't hear.

XENA
(Whisper) You owe me.

GABRIELLE
(Whisper/ Seductively) Don't worry I'll be sure that you're fully compensated for your trouble later.

Xena raised her eyebrow and smirked catching Gabrielle's hint.

JOXER
Uh what are you two Whispering about?

XENA
(Lying) Just bouncing some story ideas off our resident bard here.

Gabrielle smirked as Xena sat back and returned her focus to coming up with a story. Then she had something pop into her head.

XENA
Alright you want a scary story, I've got one for ya. And it's not just some little old ghost story. This one is actually scary, because it's true.

Gabrielle looked at Xena wondering just where she was going with that last line.

XENA
It started out just like any other day. Gabrielle and I were riding along on our way to I forget where. It's not important.

JOXER
Wait, wait, wait you and Gabby?

XENA
I said the story was true didn't I? I would know because we were there. Now can I continue?

Joxer nodded as Xena continued her story.

XENA
Now where was I?

----- FLASH BACK -----

Xena and Gabrielle rode down through the quiet scenery on Argo. Xena looked up at the sky.

XENA
It's getting late Gabrielle. I think we're gonna have to camp here tonight.

Gabrielle looked around at the bare trees as they slowly rode by. Not liking the idea of having to stay in the forest all night.

GABRIELLE
I don't know Xena. Something about this place gives me the creeps.

Xena chuckled.

XENA
We face warlords, gods and all sorts of other dangers all the time and you're telling me that you're afraid of sleeping in forest just because it's a little creepy?

GABRIELLE
It's not funny.

XENA
Relax everything's perfectly fine.

Xena gave Gabrielle's arm that was wrapped around her waist a light reassuring pat.

XENA
(Joking) I'll be sure to protect you from anything that might go bump in the night.

GABRIELLE
(Sarcasm) Funny.

Xena and Gabrielle rode for a little longer before they found a good spot to set up camp. Once everything was set Xena and Gabrielle sat by the campfire. Gabrielle looked out at their surroundings. Her uneasiness about that place hadn't left her. Xena could tell that she was still uncomfortable.

XENA
Since when do you get so easily scared like this?

GABRIELLE
I don't know. But there's just something about this forest that feels really off.

Xena got up and looked around trying to figure out what Gabrielle might've been picking up on, but got nothing,

XENA
I don't see or hear any signs of anything that we would need to worry about.

GABRIELLE
Huh usually you're the more perceptive one. But I'm telling you Xena something's not right here.

Xena sighed as she folded her arms across her chest. She looked at Gabrielle, seeing the worry on her face.

XENA
You really don't feel comfortable here do you?

GABRIELLE
No.

XENA
Okay. Start packing up then.

Gabrielle got up began picking up their stuff along with Xena. She looked at Xena, giving her a semi relieved smile.

GABRIELLE
Thank you.

Xena lovingly patted Gabrielle's shoulder.

XENA
Don't mention it.

One they were all packed up, Xena took Argo's reigns as she and Gabrielle walked out into the darkness. Not knowing that Gabrielle was right and this was about to become one of the longest nights of their lives.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

130 0 14
When Xena and Gabrielle volunteer to traverse a highly dangerous mountain to rescue a kidnapped princess, they find themselves facing unimaginable da...
153 5 21
Now married and both amazon queen's, Xena and Gabrielle's life within the secret village carries on. While on a trip outside of the village, Xena and...
185 0 26
With Xena forgiven for her past crimes against the Amazon's and Gabrielle's queenhood restored, Xena and Gabrielle decide it might be time for them a...
1.5K 29 16
A year after the events of the first book, Audrey and Roxy find themselves engaged and living together. Their more in love than ever and their lives...