Star Wars, The Cooper Chronic...

By Goldengun2002

On a backwater world in the fringes of Republic space lives a young man. Living alone sense he was ten, his f... More

Chapter 1: Humble Beginnings
Chapter 2: Hell on Reach
Chapter 3: 717th
Chapter 4: Duel
Chapter 5: Welcome to the Republic
Chapter 6: Rally the men
Chapter 7: Training
Chapter 8: First battle
Chapter 9: Christophsis
Chapter 10: 'Negotiations'
Chapter 11: Padawans
Chapter 12: Rockjumpers
Chapter 14: We Meet Agian
Chapter 15: Recovery
Chapter 16: Malevolence
Chapter 17: Flying Lessons
Chapter 18: Senatorial Rescue
Chapter 19: Reshie Moon
Chapter 20: Destress call
Chapter 21: Hiigaran Assault
Chapter 22: Senatorial Rescue

Chapter 13: Temple Raider

507 21 0
By Goldengun2002

Narrator: After the daring assault conducted by members of the 501st and 717th. Now Jedi General Anakin Skywalker and Padawans Ahsoka Tano and Jerome Cooper must search for the Huttling prisoner, with time ticking against them.

Clone Troopers patrolled the large landing pads around the outside of the temple the Republic had just grueling fought to claim. Many glanced over the sides down to the forest below, checking for any attempt at a sneak attack from more clankers lying in wait. For a few, though, they huddled around the hulking ATTE with the medics, one of which currently was tending to the commander of the 717th.

Mercy: How are you feeling now?

She asked, looking up from the makeshift sling Mercy was able to faction out spare bandages. Her smile grew taunt as her commander nodded, shifting more upright against the leg of the walker, gently rubbing the patch covering his left cheek.

Jerome: Better. My arm still hurts like a bitch, I feel like I could nap for a few days, and I'm currently getting a judgmental look from my captain. So overall, glad not to be dead in contrast to earlier.

He muttered, his gaze shifting towards Owl as he stood there, helmet resting against his hip as the bald clone glared down at him with pursed lips.

Owl: You are aware of how reckless that was, correct?

Jerome: Yup.

Owl: And that you could have very easily died just then?

Jerome: Yeah.

Owl: Sir, you know what would have happened if-

Jerome: If I had died? You would have been reassigned to a new Jedi, but I'm not dead, and neither is Tess.

The commanding officer retorted, gesturing with his chin towards the clone being tended to by another medic from the 501st. The redhead winced as another bandage was tied off around her head, remnants of blood still visible on the underside of her neck and through the ruined cloth lying beside her. Owl's gaze also fell upon her, sighing as he looked back to the young man.

Owl: Yes, yes, you both are. Honesty, I'm glad your droid isn't here to give the odds of your actions.

Jerome: Agreed, better still that a Republic rescue party doesn't show up with a CIS commando droid following a high-ranking officer. But back on topic, I'd do it again before you ask. There was a risk, but after seeing what happened to the others, I saw a chance to save one of my own, and I took it. So, if you want to berate me, wait till James and Liz get done after the debrief.

He said, groaning while getting to his feet under him, giving the medic a slight nod as she assisted the action. Owl shook his head and put his helmet back on.

Owl: No, I'm sure those two and your droids will have plenty of that in store. I'll admit, that was a stroke of luck, but you're certainly someone I can get behind.

Jerome: Ow, you saying you didn't believe in me?

He asked as the two began moving towards Rex and Anakin. The recon captain patted the young man gently on the shoulder as they walked.

Owl: I had my reservations, especially after your first target practice. You were just some civ that got control of an entire unit of soldiers with no training, but over these last few weeks, you've grown into it bit by bit. You have a long road ahead, but you're making a good start. Just don't go jumping off cliffs again.

Jerome: Duly noted, captain.

He said, flashing the clone a smile before whistling as the duo approached. Anakin turning to the young man with a grin crossing his lips.

Anakin: Well, well, look who's on two feet again. How's the shoulder?

Jerome: Numb, same as the rest of the arm.

He grumbled, gesturing to the sling with a hiss upon attempting to move it.

Rex: Well, after what you pulled, there'll be some Bacta waiting once this is over.

The captain said before waving over the other clones, Ahsoka among their number. The young Padawan nudged Jerome as the search party began making their way towards the doors that would lead inside the giant structure.

Ahsoka: You sure you shouldn't be sitting this out? I don't want you breaking your other arm now.

She quipped, receiving only an eye roll from her fellow Jedi in training, pulling the blaster pistol from his hip.

Jerome: Don't tempt me, Twin-tails.

He replied in kind, watching as Ahsoka shook her head and readied her lightsaber. The massive plasteel door began to open upon the party drawing close, the sunlight illuminating just the first few feet inside the structure. Switching on their headlamps, Rex, Owl, and the clones moved into a rear guard for their Force-sensitive commanders, thin beams scanning across the cold interior of the unlit corridor.

Rex: I don't like this place. It gives me the creeps.

Jerome: Yeah, especially with the door opening on its own. Any idea what this place is?

He asked, craning his head as they progressed deeper into the compound. Ahsoka, similarly letting her eyes drift, hummed to herself, drawing Anakin and Jerome's gaze to the Togruta.

Ahsoka: Well, it looks like a B'omarr monk monastery. I read about them in my studies at the temple.

Anakin: Smugglers tend to turn these places into their little retreats.

Ahsoka: And the monks just let them?

Anakin: Well, smugglers typically get what they want, one way or another.

He said, giving his Padawan a solemn glance before it snapped deeper into the temple. A loud clanging noise prompted the Jedi knight to ignite his saber as everyone's headlamps pointed directly from where the noise had originated. From which, a singular grey protocol droid moved towards them, unthreateningly, yet still not putting anyone at ease.

Jerome: Well, at least it isn't a battle droid. Who's side are you on?!

He yelled, moving up beside Anakin, hand firmly wrapped around the grip, the protocol droid only speaking once within a few feet of the Jedi General.

Protocol droid: Merely the humble caretaker, O mighty sir. You have liberated me from those dreadful battle bots. I am most thankful.

The droid said. The Republic Troopers slowly lowering their weapons as Anakin deactivated his blade.

Anakin: Where is the Hutt?

Protocol droid: The battle bots kept their prisoners on the detention level. I must warn you it is perilous down there, my friend. Not a place for servants.

It spoke, turning its optics between Jerome and Ahsoka, the latter glaring at the droid before igniting her green blade at the droid's throat.

Ahsoka: Do servants carry these? I am a Jedi knight, or soon I will be.

She said, looking back at her master as he glared at the girl. Looking away with disdain, she deactivated her lightsaber and began to walk past the droid.

Protocol droid: A thousand apologies, young one.

It apologized, all of its flattery only putting Jerome more on edge as he began to walk past it.

Jerome: Certainly a suck-up in your programming, Owl. Start setting up defenses within this area. If the droids return, that'll be the place to hold if we lose the courtyard.

Owl: Alright, let's get moving people.

He said as members of the 717th began heading back towards the walker while Rex moved up next to Anakin.

Rex: We'll keep an eye out here.

Anakin: Alright, be back soon. Something isn't right about this.

He muttered to his captain as the two men followed after Ahsoka. Descending deeper into the temple it became clear that it was a setup as the trio passed by several duos of B-1's inside unlocked cells.

Ahsoka: You do realize we're walking into a trap?

Anakin: I know.

Ahsoka: And that we just passed by two more droids?

Anakin: I know.

He replied again, simply keeping his gaze ahead as Ahsoka looked back at them as the two joined the column walking behind them.

Ahsoka: Well, can't I deal with them?

Anakin: If they're bothering you that much, sure. Do you care, Jerome?

Jerome: Well, they haven't shot us yet, so we might as well before they do.

He said, spinning around and blasting one of the droids in the head, its body crashing into the others before a few swift slashes from Ahsoka took out the rest.

Anakin: Not bad, throwing them off guard and then dispatching them. You two work well together.

Jerome: If you call shooting a droid point blank, you'll love this.

He said before leaning back and firing across his body, blowing the head off another B-1 coming around the corner. Anakin rolling his eyes, gave a small applause as the young man holstered his blaster.

Anakin: Veeery impressive. Now come on, I can sense the Hutt nearby.

He stated, the young man shaking his head before walking further into the dungeons. Stopping in front of one door, the Jedi knight typed a few buttons on a nearby keypad, which upon opening, the three Force-sensitives were met with a tiny Hutt, probably no bigger than a basketball.

Jerome: Damn, I've heard of Hutt's, but aren't they usually bigger?

Anakin: When they get older, I didn't expect him to be so young.

He said, glancing at Ahsoka as she moved inside and crouched before the Hutt.

Ahsoka: Either way, the little guy's kind of cute.

Anakin: Good, you can carry him then.

He said as Ahsoka looked up at him with wide eyes.

Ahsoka: Wait, why me?

Anakin: Well, you did say you find it cute, and Jerome is nowhere near capable unless you want to try.

Jerome, upon hearing this, instantly backed away and raised his one good hand in the air.

Jerome: Nope, I'm good, sir. One good thing about being temporarily crippled, don't have to deal with this. Good luck, Ahsoka. He's starting to smell.

He said, shriveling up his nose and turning to leave. Anakin was soon on the boy's heels as the duo left Ahsoka to carry the crying Hutt. Mutters of disgruntled comments echoed within the dimly lit room.

Jerome: So, what do you think their angle is? Because this was way too easy after fighting up the mountain.

Anakin: Well, possibly still springing the trap; let us hope Master Kenobi can get here before it runs its course.

Jerome: Agreed.

The young man said as Ahsoka caught up to them, the sounds of the Huttling babbling, crying, or gurgling echoing off the walls back around them till to the main corridor, where Owl and some of the troopers were still setting up makeshift barricades with whatever was lying around. The recon captain, the first to spot them, made his way over.

Owl: I see you found the target. Is it unharmed?

Anakin: From what we can tell, any sign of Kenobi?

Owl: Not yet, but your Astromech did arrive with your fighter a few moments ago, general Skywalker.

Jerome: Copy that. Keep setting up defenses.

He said, Owl nodding towards his CO and going back to ordering around the men as the three Jedi stepped outside the temple and back into the courtyard. However, upon making their way over to the Jedi starfighter, a harsh coughing came forth from the Hutt, the little guy's eyes growing droopy and far less energetic than when first found.

Ahsoka: Um, master, this little guy is starting to burn up. I think he's sick.

Jerome: Wait, now? Are Hutts averse to sunlight or something?

Jerome questioned, turning back as Anakin rested a hand atop the baby's head, his lips curling into a frown upon pulling away.

Anakin: No, but the conditions in that dungeon didn't favor this one. Trooper! Get me a backpack!

He yelled out as a member of the 501st hurried off towards the walker, the baby beginning to cry, its shrill wails piercing the air, and no amount of shushing and gentle nothings from Ahsoka seemed to be stopping him, even as they tried to get him into the emptied medical pack, he only seemed to magnify his wails.

Anakin: Oh, come on, get in the pack, please. We're trying to help you!

Ahsoka: Master, stop! You're only making it worse! Here, let me do it.

She snapped as the two bickered among themselves. Jerome watched on with mild irritation at the scene before him.

Jerome: You two realize it's a baby, right? Poor thing probably doesn't even understand what's going on.

Anakin: Which is why the sooner we get him home, the better.

He replied after helping Ahsoka get the Hutt tucked into the pack and allowing the Padawan to pick him up without squirming in her arms. As soon as the three of them found themselves before the fighter, Anakin's astromech, an R2 unit, projected the incoming message from Kenobi to the three of them.

Kenobi: Anakin, did you find Jabba's son?

Anakin: We have him, but it looks like the Separatists are behind his abduction. This smells like Count Dooku's doing.

Ahsoka: Actually, I think it's just little Stinky here.

She muttered as the Hutt yawned and lazily looked up at his current caretaker. Sighing softly and discreetly lifting his jacket over his nose, Jerome looked back as his master stroked his beard.

Kenobi: I'll bet Dooku is using us to get Jabba to join the Separatists.

Jerome: Lovely, but how far are you now? The Hutt's running a bad fever, and it doesn't look like it will get better soon.

Kenobi: Still in route, do your best for him till then. Jabba has sway over all the shipping routes in the Outer Rim. His cooperation is crucial to the war effort, and we cannot allow this opportunity to slide. It's too essential for the war effort.

He said, the Jedi knight among them sighing heavily. Though a high-pitched whistling drew the youngest Padawan's eyes skyward, her grip upon the pack tightened tenfold.

Ahsoka: Master, we have company!

Ahsoka yelled as Anakin and Jerome looked up into the sky as two large CIS dropships descended from the clouds. Alongside them, Vulture droids dove in, but for Jerome, his eyes fell upon a familiar fighter at the lead, its hook-shaped rear and dual engine pods unmistakable from even at ground level.

Jerome: Oh, son of a-717th! It looks like we get a chance at payback for Reach!

Kenobi: Wait, revenge? Jerome, Anakin, what's going on?!

He yelled as the clones that once stood guard turned their blasters to the sky and began to open fire upon the incoming CIS forces. Rex and Owl quickly barked out orders to their men as the single piece of heavy armor roared to life. Anakin though, cursed under his breath as he grabbed his lightsaber.

Anakin: Got to go, master. We got droids inbound! Get here as soon as you can!

Kenobi: I'll try, keep the Hutt alive at all costs.

The Jedi master stated before the communication was cut short. Bursts of laser cannon fire impacted against the courtyard, clones scattering like mice to avoid being turned into ash, returning what little fire they could before switching their attention to the entrance of the temple grounds with the incoming dwarf spider and B-2 battle droids.

Jerome: Of course, they had some in reserve. Where the hell did they hide those things?!

The young man yelled as he dodged a heavy blaster bolt to the chest and opened fire, his men forming a defensive line around the pillars in front of the temple's entrance, the ATTE laying into the bottlenecked clankers. The only noise to eclipse the booming cannon was the detonation of the Jedi starfighter, with its previous occupant screeching with loud whistles. The droid soon chased after Ahsoka as she ran with the Hutt back inside. Running through the chaos of the firefight, Owl placed a hand on Jerome's shoulder, attempting to pull the young man behind him.

Owl: Sir! Get back with Commander Tano! You're in no shape to be on the front!

Jerome: Like hell! I can still use a blaster!

He barked back, shrugging off his captain, only to witness the cockpit of their ATTE erupt into flames, the mechanical beast buckling under its weight, scrapping against the paved stone, knocking out the main weaponry that had held the CIS forces at bay. Thus, with the first transport landing outside the walls, the Padawan was no longer so reluctant to retreat.

Jerome: Ok, how about we all pull back now because that sounds like a great plan!

Owl: Agreed, all forces! Pull back to the temple!

He yelled as a few more of their comrades went down from the incoming fire, those lives snuffed out so mercilessly, providing cover for those that fell back inside. With plasma flying over his head and blasting apart the stone near his feet, Jerome was one of the last to make it inside. Falling behind the cover erected by his men moments earlier, he watched as the massive door began to close. The remaining clones having to slide or dive under to make it. Though, in a matter that could only have been with the use of the Force, Anakin deflected back several incoming blaster bolts, pushed back, rolling into a ball just in time to make it under the massive plasteel door, returning to his feet just as the gigantic locks fell into place.

Jerome: So, it looks like we're stuck here. What's the plan?

Jerome said, rising from the cover as he looked towards Anakin, the Jedi dusting off his shoulder before turning towards the remaining Republic forces that stood before him.

Anakin: We hold until General Kenobi can arrive. It's the best shot we have.

He said before Ahsoka piped up from his right.

Ahsoka: Master, I don't think that's the best course here. Do you honestly believe we can hold them off? We have to find a way out of here.

Anakin: And our mandate is to protect this Hutt, and that's what we're going to do, Ahsoka.

Anakin said with a stern glare, only infuriating the young Togruta more as she held up the aforementioned Hutt to him.

Ahsoka: Our mandate is to get this Hutt back to Tatooine and time is running out.

Anakin: And I suppose you have a plan then?

He asked, raising his brow upon his astromech letting out a short slow of beeps.

Ahsoka: Yes, or I think so if R2's willing.

Anakin: All right, Snips. I'll trust you on this one. Captain, hold them here as long as you can.

Anakin said, getting a curt nod from Rex as the remaining members of the 501st began to spread out. However, as Ahsoka, R2, and Anakin were about to leave, the older man stopped as Jerome started prepping to defend the temple with his men.

Anakin: Jerome, what are you doing?

Jerome: Preparing, what does it look like?

He said, clumsily popping open the bottom of the grip, checking on his gas supply before popping it back into place. As he refits the seal into the blaster, he felt himself get forcibly pulled his feet.

Jerome: Hey! What the hell!

Anakin: You're coming with us. You're in no condition to fight against what's out there. You said Kenobi said to watch me. Well, now I'm watching you. The boys will be fine.

He said, letting go of the young man as he pulled his good arm free, Jerome's brows narrowing while gesturing towards the heavy blast door.

Jerome: I recognized that fighter out there. It belonged to who was responsible for me being forced into this war. The one that attacked my home and killed innocents to draw the 717th away to strike their base. There is a score to be settled and-

Owl: And you barely walked out of your last duel alive.

He said, moving up beside Anakin with his rifle pressed firmly against his shoulder. The clone's gaze briefly shifted toward the door before returning to the young man.

Owl: Last time you were saved because it was a losing battle for her, you were far from trained, but you weren't injured like you are now. We'll be fine. Worse case, we retreat deeper into the temple and buy you all more time. Trust us, sir.

Owl said, Jerome still letting a growl pass his lips as he looked at his men, all of them preparing for the worse with blasters at the ready. Forcing out a harsh sigh, Jerome holstered the blaster pistol and looked Owl dead in his eyes behind the visor.

Jerome: Fine, but you all make it back alive, you hear me?

Darl: Loud and clear, sir, the clankers won't get past us.

Sargent Darl said with a thumbs up, Jerome looking among the rest of the 717th, giving him similar remarks, the young commander shaking his head before following after Anakin and the others. The four made their way through the temple, stumbling upon a room with exactly what Ahsoka and R2 were looking for. Inside a sleeping quarter, a terminal that the Astromech could tap into.

Ashoka: Bingo, if there's any way to get out of here, R2 will find it.

Anakin: I hope you're right and it seems our passenger has finally found some peace. You should get some rest when you can, both of you.

He muttered as R2 began to tap into the local network, with the Jedi general gently rubbing the sleeping Hutt's head.

Ahsoka: I'm fine Skyguy. I can still hold my own.

Jerome: Yeah, and there's rest when we get out of this, not before.

He muttered, leaning up against the doorframe while the Jedi knight took a seat on the bed.

Anakin: You know, I understand why you aren't listening to me, Jerome, but Ahsoka, why can't you?

Ahsoka: I do listen to you, master, but I hate being treated like a youngling. I don't want to disappoint you and prove that I'm too young to be your Padawan.

She said, crossing her arms with a downcast gaze. Anakin, however, slowly rose and placed a comforting hand upon his apprentice's shoulder.

Anakin: Ahsoka, a wise Jedi, once said, "Nothing happens by accident." It is the will of the Force that you are at my side. I just want to keep you in one piece, which seems easier for you than someone else here.

Jerome: Hey, that's my master's problem in the long run.

He said, his gaze never leaving the hallway he was watching. Though the older teen did glance back at Ashoka upon her forcing a cough, the young Padawan having set down the sleeping Hutt, shifting over to where she now faced him, leaning against the opposite side of the doorway.

Ahsoka: Sure, but even then, you don't seem like yourself.

Jerome: You've known me for less than three days; what could you possibly figure out in the sparse conversations we've had about what 'yourself' is?

Ahsoka hummed before lightly punching him in the injured shoulder. Completely caught off guard by the act, Jerome let out a hiss of pain before his gaze snapped to the Togruta.

Jerome: What the hell was that for!?

Ahsoka: Because you're being mean, clearly something is bothering you. Is it because you couldn't stay with your men? Or is something else that's making you so prickly?

She said, drilling into the young man till he relented, glancing back at Anakin, who was watching with a slight smirk across his lips.

Jerome: You want to know why I'm pissed? Because of the one in the starfighter. That's Commander Zar. She's the one that attacked my home, got one of my close friends killed, destroyed my home, and killed a lot of good people because of her actions. So yes, I'm pissed that I'm not there to meet her with a blade to her throat, happy?

Jerome replied, glaring at Ahsoka with mild annoyance at this point, his unhindered hand resting against the hilt of his father's saber. Though while he thought things had ended there, the Terrian was mistaken as Anakin spoke up from behind him.

Anakin: I'm aware you're angry, but being a Jedi means you need to control your emotions. I can sense the hatred building within you, which can lead you to the Darkside of the Force.

Jerome: Really now? Cause in most people it's fuel to keep them going when everything hits the fan. I barely have even qualified as a Padawan. I'm here out of my drive to see that no one has to go through what I did. This....this rage, I'll admit, unfocused could bring me more harm, but it's trained on her, on the CIS, to get justice for the unnecessary death they brought to the galaxy. So, I thank you for your concern, but as of now, it's under control.

Jerome turned away once more after finishing his little speech. Ahsoka and Anakin sharing between themselves before R2 drew everyone's attention. The Astromech pulled away from the terminal with a loud beep, Jerome raising his brow at the droid following itself up with a slew of boops and droid speak.

Jerome: Backdoor landing pad you say? Well, let's get a move on, less the droid finally-

Suddenly, the temple shook, casting dust off the ceiling and down upon them. At which point, the once sleeping Hutt awoke with a start and began to cry.

Ahsoka: Oh, you just had to jinx it!

Jerome: How was I supposed to know!?

He cried out as his companion shot him a glare. Picking up the baby, the three Jedi followed after R2 as the droid began to lead them through the winding corridors of the monastery. Though, a loud beeping came from Jerome's communicator when they were descending toward the level of their exit. The young man quickly tapped the device while running after the astromech.

Jerome: Owl! You better have some good news for me!

He yelled, but instead of the collected clone captain, his ear was graced with a sultry feminine tone that stopped Jerome in his tracks.

Zar: Oh, I'm sorry, but your captain isn't available now. It's been a while, little Terrian. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

326 25 8
Akira never considered herself to be lucky. As a Sith Acolyte chosen by chance, it's not too surprising. When she's thrown into prison and finds a yo...
117K 4.1K 35
When your planet comes under invasion from the Separatists, a small force of clones from the Republic helps. Captain Rex leads a small group of his 5...
61 20 20
This is a story of a Jedi and his path through the order and other parts of the galaxy. He will go through many journeys with his different padawans...