Counter Lotus

By JadedViolet

Josephine Hale moved across the country to live with her older sister in Oregon. She has a new sense of freed... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 15

40 4 4
By JadedViolet

Chapter 15

Bryce's house was 30 minutes north-east in the city of Tilla Rook. We might as well define it as 'College City' at this point. Liz took me here not long ago to show me where I would be going to school. Now, I could experience what college would be like here outside of the classroom too.

He lived in the old part of town. The crammed city-blocks and shitty roads reminded me of living in Illinois. Houses (both nice and dumpy) were side-by-side with the occasional car parked on the road. I knew I arrived when it turned into lines of cars hugging the curbs of his small street. Dang, this really was a party. It was a bitch to park to say the least.

A mixture of chatter and dance music filled the air as I approached the basic two story house. People were mingling on the narrow cement porch; several talked in the front yard with drinks in their hands. Most seemed to be older than me, but I was definitely one of the tallest girls there. Other than that, I don't think I stood out – even with my outfit. I saw more revealing clothes, but I still didn't do half-bad. My peach halter tank-top hung low and highlighted the shape of my bust. It was tucked into my peach leather belt around my short black skirt that showed off my legs. It was still nice to show off what I usually tend to hide.

I didn't feel as confident as I looked just yet. I was both excited and nervous with anticipation, but I suppose that was the point. I loved to have fun and let loose, but this was new territory for me. I was across the country, and these were college students. Plus, it's been a hot-minute since I've been to a party, especially one where I didn't know anyone. Well, I guess I did know a few people already. I already knew Zack, Carla, Bryce, and Peter.

Yes. You heard correctly. Just kill me, guys. Only after I kill Peter first though.

Before Peter ruined my night, I was able to relax and enjoy some of the evening. By now, the party was in full swing. The living room and kitchen were cluttered – like cluttered and crowded to the max – with people. Most were chatting, mingling, laughing, and some dancing. Not long after I stepped inside, I found Zack (who was naturally mixing drinks together for people). He loudly introduced me to a few people over the music; I talked to them for a couple minutes. Talked to a few others. I even saw Carla from work.

She loved parties and was clearly in her element. She was all glitter, inside and out. She had a glitter orange crop top, glitter in her smooth black hair, glitter eyeshadow that complimented her dark pretty skin. When we spotted each other, she danced over to me with a grin. "Look at you, sexy! I didn't expect a prude like you to have clothes like this! Love the belt thing you got going."

"Thanks. I loved belts – and I'm a fun prude, thank you very much," I smiled.

"I'm glad because I was wondering if I was going to see ya here," she exclaimed over the music, towing me to the bowl of spiked punch. "What do ya think of all these big kids?"

"I didn't expect Bryce to have so many friends. Not sure if I even know that many people," I smiled, glancing over the sea of people. It was nothing too crazy or out of control. Good vibes, good fun, and okay music. What could be better than that? Nobody seemed to mind that I was younger than them either, which was nice.

"The upcoming college seniors came out of hibernation for this. Bryce goes to school with most of them," she said, pouring us both a cup and taking a swig. "When did you get here?"

"Like 15 minutes ago. I've already met a few people. I'm not shy when meeting people, but it makes me awkward. I asked the same person twice what they do for a living."

"Pfft. You dressed for a party, live up to it. Ask what people do in the bedroom instead of for a living."

"Yeah? Is that your plan?"

"My plan is to get you to shake some ass." She raised her arms and swayed her hips, making her glitter catch the dim light.

"Then I better get at least one drink in me then," I said, taking a big sip before offering an over-enthusiastic wound-up high-five.

"Okay, let's put that away, dork," she snorted, lowing my palm.

"Embrace the dork," I laughed, shoving my hand dramatically back up in rebellion.

It's been a while since I've let loose. Like really let loose. Being an anxious person, with other responsibilities, I always had to judge when I could allow myself to have fun. When I could flip that switch from adult mode back to being a kid. Believe me guys, I liked indulging in that kid-side and having fun. I liked parties, drinking, doing stupid funny shit. I didn't realize how much I missed it though until now.

After slamming the rest of my drink, I grabbed Carla's hand and moved to the middle of the small crowd of people dancing. I started to sway with her over dramatically, driven entirely by my need to be goofy and not the music. We couldn't help but laugh as I over-obnoxiously started moving with the beat. I drew some weird looks, but most of them grinned in approval and laughed with us. We danced to a few songs, talked between a few, and it was a damn good time.

Carla soon became distracted though. Upon seeing 'fresh meat,' she bid me farewell on her quest to obtain the cute guy she spotted. Great. Now who was I supposed to hang out with? Well, the snack table seemed like a good conversationalist. I didn't plan on drinking more anyway until I got something in my system.

Walking over to the long table against the wall, I saw there were chips, pop, beer, and stack of pizza boxes. I also wasn't the only one who made the snack table their focus.

A girl shot me a smile after taking a bite of her pizza slice. "Enjoying the party?"

"Yeah, it's great so far! Feels weird being the only one doing something illegal though," I chuckled. For all the parties I went to before, they were all thrown by minors for minors. So, breaking the law on my own instead of as a collective group felt strange.

"You aren't alone," she said, raising her plastic cup towards me before sipping.

"Oh, you aren't part of this college group?"

"Nope. I'm only 18, so if the cops come, you won't be going down alone."

"Well, that's a relief," I chuckled. "You know, if they don't bust us, we could keep our illegal streak going after the party. We could rob a bank and sell some fake drugs."

She laughed. "Or buy real drugs with the money from the robbery."

"Hell yeah. Jack the price up real high too. People in college probably love drugs."

"Sounds like a plan." Amused, the petite girl shifted closer as more people took advantage of the food and drinks. With brown hair and an innocent face, she had soft eyes and freckles along her cheeks. "So, what brought you here tonight? If you don't mind me asking. I just haven't seen you before at any of his other parties."

"You wouldn't have. I just moved here."

"Oh, you must be the girl from Illinois then? Josephine, right?" she smiled.

"Yeah! How did you know?"

"I'm Zack's girlfriend, Katie. He told me how you just moved here and were excited to check out the sights and have fun. You came to the right place," she said, taking another bite of her pizza. "Do you like living here so far?"

"For the most part." You know, aside from all the unexplained drama. "It's worth it even if I have to bear through college now."

"Don't be too nervous. I'm starting my first year there too in the fall."

"No way. Might even see you in a few classes then," I said, finishing off another handful of chips without shame.

Well, some shame. "Fuck yeah, you go to town on those chips," she chuckled, brushing off the chip shards and crumbs that fell to my shirt. "Scarf those bitches down!"

"Jesus, I'm a pig," I said through my laughter.

After glancing around to see if anyone else caught that embarrassing moment... my focus and attention stumbled. Nobody noticed my messy manners, but I noticed something far more serious. Across the room... I saw him.

Despite the dim flashy lights, despite all the people between us, I could still make him out. Peter was leaning against the wall next to the front door with his hands in his pockets. A girl was talking to him, but she didn't exist to him. His uncaring and disinterested eyes were busy scanning the room. As if trying to spot or find someone. You know, as if he was fucking looking for me.

Ugh, I was over it! The audacity of this man! Especially after I warned him! I told him I was done, that I would call the cops if he followed me again. And here he was. Here he was – at a college party 30 minutes north of our town. You can't get any more stalkerish than that, folks! Especially when I warned him I would phone the cops if it happened again! No, I wasn't scared, I wasn't flustered. I was pissed. It made me acutely suddenly focused and determined.

"Um, Katie? I'm sorry, I need to run to the bathroom."

"Oh, no problem. It was nice to meet you," she smiled.

"It was nice meeting you too. You're fun to talk to. Hopefully I'll see you around!"

Turning, my smile vanished. Keeping my head down, I walked down the hall next to us and rushed into the bathroom. Away from all the noise, I pulled out my phone, looked at the address on my maps, and drilled it into my head. 710 Fillmore, 710 Fillmore, 710 Fillmore. I was so livid, I didn't hesitate to dial.

"911, what is your emergency?"

"Yes, my name is Josephine Hale. I'm calling from 710 Fillmore Street. I'm at a friend's party and there is a man here that has been stalking me for weeks now. He's even admitted to following me. He hasn't said or done anything yet since I noticed him a minute ago. I also really don't want to ruin this party or make this into a big deal. But he just refuses to leave me alone. I warned him I would call the police if he followed me again, but clearly that didn't stop him."

After answering a few questions, the woman said she was dispatching a unit. I was almost ashamed to say a smile crawled to my face. I was excited for this cocky asshole to be put in his place. I was also excited to prove to him I wasn't bluffing before about the cops. God, I couldn't wait to see the look on his face.

Hell, why wait? Once the call ended, I walked out of the bathroom like a hero and proudly weaved through the living room towards him. Peter was still intently looking around, but he caught my gaze when I reached him. He didn't look surprised.

"Wow. What a coincidence seeing you here!" I exclaimed in mock surprise before a boastful smile crawled to my lips. "You have about five minutes until the police get here, so if I were you, I would leave while you still can."

Not phased, he continued scanning the room. "Is that right?"

"Yeah, that's right," I smirked.

"You, a minor who has been drinking, called the police?"

Well... I guess it made sense why he didn't believe me. I was so focused on putting Peter in his place that I didn't even consider that. Or connect the dots that I just joked about underage drinking not a few moments ago. Fingers crossed the cops stay focused on the reason I called. Thankfully, I wasn't buzzed either from just one drink.

"Um... I sure did," I said without the same proud tone.

"Whatever you say," he scoffed, clearly thinking my words were a bluff. "If you ever do grow the balls to call the cops on me, I advise you pick any other time," he mumbled, still scanning the room.

"Why, what are you doing? Fishing for a new person to stalk?"

"I'm looking for someone, but once I find them, I can leave you to enjoy this cluster-fuck of airheads."

"You're looking for someone that isn't me?" That threw me for a loop. Because at seeing how intently he was looking everyone over, it didn't seem like he was bullshitting me. "After all the times you've followed me, this time really is just a coincidence?"

"It's not a coincidence, unfortunately."

What was he talking about? You know what, it didn't matter. His problems were not mine. So, fuck him, fuck his riddles. I really did not care about his motives or who he was looking for. However, it became clear that it was damn important he find them.

From where I stood facing Peter, the front door opened off to my right. A police officer stepped through the door, taking in the dim and crowded surroundings. Oh man... what a satisfying moment, folks. I smugly glanced back to the jaded dirty blonde in front of me. When Peter glanced over and saw the cop, the look on his face was priceless.

The realization that I wasn't bluffing hit him. He stared at the cop with growing irritation. Jaw tight, he glanced back to me. "You actually did it."

"Yeah. I told you I did," I said proudly with a smile.

"You'll be sorry you did this," he said calmly, but the sharpness in his eyes added a bite to his words. "You just fucked yourself over, Josephine, congratulations."

Didn't know what he was talking about and didn't care. I was sick of him thinking he could get away with anything. Walking over to the police officer, I introduced myself as the caller. He did ask me a few questions – including one I dreaded.

"This has become a reoccurring pattern?"

"Yes. I don't know what he wants, but he did admit to following me before."

"Alright," he nodded after listening. Since I gave my name over the phone, he was likely aware that I was only 18. Which was probably the reason for his next question. "Have you consumed any alcohol tonight, ma'am?" the officer asked over the noise.

"Nope, not a drop. Bryce and all the certified adults warned me and told me not to drink if I come. They've made a point to keep an eye on me too," I lied when I answered, feeling a ping of guilt.

"That's wise advice they gave you."

"Right, I'm respectful of people's wishes. Unlike my stalker," I scoffed.

Maybe having only one drink made my lie convincing. Or maybe the officer was more concerned about the reason I called him. Because other than that, the officer didn't seem concerned over the party itself going on around him. Hell, the party didn't seem concerned over the officer. Which made me feel better. The last thing I wanted to do was ruin the night. Bryce wasn't even upset at me when I tracked him down. After explaining everything, Bryce fully understood why I called the police. He gave the cop full permission to remove Peter from his house.

So, with that and an added pep in my step, I happily guided the officer towards where Peter was still standing. Yes, still. I couldn't believe he didn't try to split out of here without notice. But he was still leaning against the living room wall, still looking over the sea of people. As if that was more important than me calling the cops on him.

"Evening," the cop said loudly over the music, nodding to Peter.

Peter glanced over to him and stood a little straighter. "Evening, officer."

"I don't wish to take too much of your time. There's been some concern regarding your presence here tonight. Do you know Ms. Hale here?"

"Unfortunately."

"Is she the reason you're here tonight?"

"No, she is not."

"Yeah right," I mumbled.

"Sir, would you mind stepping outside to speak with me?" the officer asked.

"I would mind," he said in his fake sympathetic voice. "I apologize and I don't want to make things difficult. I would be overjoyed to leave in all honesty, but I can't until I find my friend. We came to this party together, but now I can't find her. Maybe you could help me?"

"I can try and locate your friend, but first I'm going to need you to please step outside."

Peter continued glancing around the room, from person to person. "I'm not leaving yet."

"That's not up to you. Do you know the owner of this home?" he asked more sternly.

"I don't believe I have had the pleasure."

"Well, he has asked me to have you removed from his residence. If you choose not to cooperate and comply with his wishes, this process will become more difficult for you. You're not on trial for anything. You can go outside, answer a few questions, then head on home."

Oh yes! Encore, officer, encore! I had to hold back from applauding. Damn, I should have secretly filmed this; I'll have to next time I call the cops on him. I loved that he was being put in his place and that it could be my turn to feel smug.

Peter glanced back to us. He obviously wasn't intimidated, but he didn't want to escalate things – and I don't think he liked how much satisfaction I was getting from this. Disillusioned, he gave me an open glare and one more glance around as he calmly walked past us and headed out the front door.

"I'll come back and speak with you when I'm finished with him. He won't give you any more issues tonight though," the policeman said reassuringly. "Also, before I get a call for a noise complaint, would you mind turning the music down just a notch?"

"Yeah, no problem. And really, just thank you so much."

The man walked out to speak with an irritated Peter. I had a feeling a few questions and a warning wouldn't do much to deter my stalker in the future. Plus, it's not like I could really address the unexplained things. But just the fact that he was forced to leave made it worth it to me. He wasn't getting away with his bullshit tonight. And maybe this would show Peter he can't fuck with my head and keep me in the dark without paying a price.

"Everything okay? That creep gone now?" Bryce came over and asked.

"Yeah, the officer took him outside. I'm sorry about all that. I'm just happy it didn't ruin anything – and I'm happy I wasn't buzzed yet," I said, relieved that most people didn't even notice the intrusion. "He just mentioned turning the music down a bit."

Bryce was happy to turn it down, even if just slightly, and went back to his friends. However, that slight change in volume... was enough to allow a different noise to bleed through. From where I stood off to the side, I heard... a soft crying. From where? Backing away from the crowded chattering and dancing people, I followed the sound. Nobody else noticed, but I was closer to it than others – and could even decipher it when I leaned towards the narrow staircase. There was a girl crying upstairs.

Aw, I wonder what happened? Yes, probably something stupid, but I couldn't judge. It was none of my business, but her distraught voice tugged at my heart and led me upstairs.

The party became a hum in the background once I reached the second floor. It was much darker when I turned left down the small hallway. The soft whimpers came from the farthest door to the right, and when I peered inside the ajar door... I placed the sound with a picture. A girl was sitting at the end of the bed, her head dropped in sorrow.

The bed was against the right wall, and across from her on the left wall of the room, there was a window. The glass looked out to the front, allowing lines of city light along the white carpet floor and blue bedspread. Her shoulders supporting her very long and waist-length hair shook in grief from a sob. One of her arms was wrapped around her torso, as if she needed it to support herself. Her curves under her short shorts and her full cleavage from her low-cut shirt placed her to be slightly older than me.

"Um... are you okay?" I asked when I stepped into the room.

She sniffled and her head shot up in surprise. "Oh, I-I didn't know anyone was here or could hear me. I'm sorry," she sighed, wiping the tears around her streaked eyeliner. "I didn't want anyone seeing me this way."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude."

"It's okay, it's just... it's just that asshole Brennan. I can't stand him anymore. This is the fifth time he's thrown me mixed signals and told me I needed to better myself and I just can't take it anymore, you know? I don't know what to do for him anymore."

Wasn't she a college student? Weren't they supposed to be more mature? Because man, that was the most typical thing someone at a party would be crying over. Ugh, why did I have to be so caring?

"Well, it doesn't sound like it's your fault. He shouldn't be sending you mixed signals."

"I feel it's my own fault, but he doesn't help," she cried.

I moved more into the room and towards the bed to face her directly instead of her side. But as I did, stepping towards the foot of the bed... I caught a glimpse out the window and paused. Turning to the window, I could see out to the front yard. Now that it was dark, there were less people mingling outside. Among the few though, I could clearly see two that stood away from the rest.

Under a streetlight, Peter and the officer were standing next to the parked squad car along the curb. The officer had his back more towards the house, but I could see Peter clearly with his arms crossed over his tense body. He did not look happy – especially when he spotted me through the window and scowled since it was in view.

"It's not your fault. Guys can be just plain stupid. Very stupid," I smirked, giving him a smile and giddy wave.

"Yeah, they can be. I just don't know what to do though. I-I mean it's so complicated."

After my wave turned into a middle finger for him, I dropped my hand. Turning around, I neared her slumped form. "Listen, it sounds like he's the problem and he's starting the drama."

"Yeah, but he's only starting drama because of what I do," she cried.

"Well, have you—"

Then, it was like the crying girl didn't exist when I reached her. Her cry and trembling shoulders just disappeared. The only evidence of her sad face was her wet cheeks and smeared make-up. Now blank and stern, she stood, grabbed me, and pushed me onto the bed. Oh my god! What the hell?!

Her rough shove landed me on my back. I sat up, but she fiercely tackled me and forced me flat. Now, you may be thinking she was trying to get into my pants. This was a party, she was upset, there was a concoction of alcohol and emotions beneath all her revealing skin. But firstly, I didn't swing that way. Second, there was no romance or foreplay – unless you were the type that considered strangulation to be foreplay.

Yes, strangulation. This wasn't the dark side of a porn site though. This was plain-jane serious life-threatening stuff. The moment she straddled me, she gripped my throat with both hands and squeezed!

Eyes wide, I went from surprised to horrified! I instinctively fought back. I tried bucking her, hitting her, clawing at her tight hands. Tried wedging my feet and legs under me. I tried throwing her weight off me, but nothing worked. I couldn't reach her face, but I swung my fists against her side and stomach as hard as I could. Ugh, but with no result! She was like an unmovable weight. She leaned away as she kept squeezing, making it less impactful each time I hit her. God, I needed her off me!

With each unsuccessful second, my desperation skyrocketed. This can't be happening; this just can't be! I needed air, I needed to breathe! It was like the horror of the ocean all over again! Except my strained eyes allowed me to see the source this time! Her long hair hanging down around me started to blur with the black spots crowding my vision. There was nothing but intent, passionless intent, in her face.

The pressure started to build behind my cheeks, ears, and in my dry lungs. I stole a few curt gasps every time I bucked, but it barely did anything. I clawed, scratched, threw my fists, tried pulling her down. Nothing. My insides started to convulse, black dots closing in on everything.

Then, the bed shifted. That strong vice around my neck loosened. Her curtain of hair jolted, revealing a fuller picture through my spotty vision. Peter was suddenly behind her. Grabbing both sides of her head between his palms, he snapped her head and mascara-covered face to the side – further than the human body could allow. With a few disturbing cracks... the bones in her neck buckled and she was suddenly lifeless.

A full image of Peter kneeling next to my legs reached me once her body sagged. That fatal twist of his hands made hers slip away with the rest of her – oh yes, air, air, I could breathe! I coughed and roughly sucked in hard breaths. I was able to suck in and out, flood my body with air, but my lungs remained strained... thanks to the dead woman laying over me.

She slumped only halfway off me, causing her limp face to land against my aching and working chest. A warm liquid crawled from her dead lips down to the slight cleavage I showed tonight.

The sight of her sagging... and the feeling of her warm dead body, of her blood! It filled me with a whole new horror. That wetness thinly ran down between my breasts. And kept running. And kept gingerly spreading under my shirt! My stomach was becoming wet. Oh god, all that blood I could feel! My already hard breaths picked up, eyes growing wider! Holy fucking god! Holy fucking god....

While I caught my breath, I just wanted to let it out again! Fuck! The weight, the warmth going cold, the thin stream leaking from her lips, it was horrific! It was worse than anything I've ever been through! I would have screamed if my throat allowed it, so instead my panic produced sharp and painful wheezes!

Eyes crawling in shock over to Peter, the sight of him seemed to unlock my body. I rose with the added weight and pulled myself out from under the dead girl. Oh my god, her face... her dead face! Kneeling on the pillows, the streaks of light from outside illuminated her bloody mouth flopping to the bed. Through gritted teeth and tears, I gasped and wheezed, just taking in the sight. It was so disturbing – and so relieving to see that she was the one dead instead of me.

With my eyes locked on her – with my shock and horror directed on her and from her – I didn't notice Peter slid off the bed and stood to my left.

He let out an aggravated sigh. "I would have been here sooner... but someone had to call the fucking cops."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.3K 2.2K 30
Riley wasn't her real name. At least, she didn't think it was. All she had left was her amber necklace. Since her accident, she can't remember anythi...
91 24 18
Monsters that reside only in your nightmares are real here in the hidden away town of Shadows, Colorado. Each is cursed with a supernatural gift, non...
38.9K 6K 31
Bad boy supreme Caleb Dawson crashes into Amy Irvine's world as a spectre that no one can see, hear, or touch, unleashing a chain of events beyond he...
1.6K 230 60
She is fierce. She is the future queen. She is a whole definition of power. The powers she has are amazing but she keeps them hidden. She doesn't tru...