The Tyrant King's Queen

By anjay_writess

"Look at me properly and try to remember." He implored her, his silvery eyes boring into hers. Maya raised he... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60/Epilogue
Bonus Chapter 1(First day of spring.)
New Book!-His Mail Order Bride

Chapter 46

11.3K 689 54
By anjay_writess

Four weeks later.

     After that night, Whatever had made Dexter so worried seemed to disappear with the wind and everything was back to normal... Except for the heightened security in the palace. In the weeks that followed, Maya wasn't allowed to go anywhere without having multiple guards and maids with her. But she  didn't mind, mainly because she had no energy to go anywhere.

      She'd been unable to walk without a wince since that night and whenever Dexter saw her groaning, a look of embarrassment would cross his face as he tried to look away. Maya would use that opportunity to glare at him. He seemed guilty to have caused her that much discomfort but Maya just thought it hurt so good. when she finally regained control of her legs, she was always too sluggish to get out of bed so she spent most of her time inside the king's chambers.

      Today however had to be one of the worst days yet. Maya had woken up that morning with a heavy nausea and headache which grew into something worse by mid-morning. Now she was burning up and she'd been unable to eat. Shivering under the covers, Maya fell back into a restless sleep, claiming she was exhausted.

      Dexter had been out of his mind with worry all morning, he'd refused to leave her side and when it became unbearable to see her that way, had to call for a doctor. He promptly came and resumed his tests on her. Dexter stood close by while the doctor inspected her, a frown on his face.

      "So what's wrong with her?" He asked when he noted that the doctor has pulled away from her.

      The doctor took in a deep breath before he began his explanation. "There's really nothing wrong with her your majesty, she seems fine  physically." He told the king. "Except..." He trailed off, looking hesitant.

      "Except what?" Dexter urged him.

       The doctor shrugged. "Well, it looks like the early symptoms of pregnancy, your majesty." He finally announced.

       The words flew around Dexter's head without penetrating. He stared at the doctor, then at Maya who was still sleeping soundly. When it finally did, he stiffened, his eyes slowly widening. "Pregnant?"

      "Yes, although it's just a speculation." The doctor quickly said. "For now I'll give her some medicines to reduce her fever but I'll have to check on her once more to see if she's really pregnant."

      Dexter stared at Maya for so long, lost for words."You're dismissed." He said to the doctor after a while, his expression calm.  The latter bowed after dropping some herbs, immediately exited the chambers.

      Dexter walked up to her, staring at her sleeping face. Despite his calm demeanor, his heart was racing, the hair on his neck standing on end. Maya is pregnant? That couldn't be possible.

      Then again, what was he expecting? It wasn't like he was trying to avoid getting her pregnant. Once that thought took root, he shivered uncontrollably. Don't get ahead of yourself, he immediately muttered when he caught himself grinning. It's still all a speculation. He started taking calming breaths.

      Maya slowly opened her eyes, her gaze flickering around. When it finally settled on him, her lips twitched. She tried to sit up and Dexter immediately rushed to assist her, all traces of excitement wiped off from his face.

      "How do you feel?" He asked, placing the back of his hands on her forehead.

     "Still nauseous." She murmured,rubbing her face against his hands."Hungry too."

      "The doctor dropped some medicine. I'll ask the maids to bring some food and then you'll eat and take it, alright?"

       She nodded, blinking drowsily. Then glanced at him. "What did the doctor say is wrong with me?"

       Dexter bit his lips from smiling. "Your just fatigued." He muttered, trying to sound nonchalant. Maya eyes narrowed.

    "Why are you smiling?" maya asked, staring at him.

     "I am?"

     "Your eyes, they're glowing." Maya furrowed her brows. "Did something good happen?"

      Something very great happened. You're carrying my child, he wanted to tell her that. Instead he said, "I'm just glad you're alright, for a moment I thought you were seriously sick." Then he stood up from the bed. "Rest. I'll go get your meal."

     Maya laid back on the bed, her eyes watching him as he walked out of the bedroom. Soon the food arrived, and Dexter made to feed her. She tried to eat but gagged whenever the spoon was brought close to her mouth, wrinkling her face in disgust.

     "Is something wrong with the food?" He asked when she made gagging noises once again.

      "It smells terrible." Maya replied pouting.

     Dexter placed the food to his nose, sniffing it.  It smelled alright to him. Pushing it back to him, he muttered "Just try to eat it."

       "It really smells terrible!" She yelled, folding her arms, glaring at him. Dexter let out a sigh, placing the spoon back on the tray.

     It was a struggle to get her to eat anything at all. Eventually they made a chicken broth filled with herbs for her, so it tasted bitter. Only then did she eat a couple spoonfuls before announcing that she was full. Giving up, Dexter made her use the medicines the doctor brought and she soon fell back asleep.

     He touched her forehead, a sigh of relief escaping his lips. Her fever had broken already.  Pregnant, the words filtered into his mind once again and he felt his heart lurch. He hoped it was true. He placed a kiss on her forehead before walking out of the chambers.

      Addressing the guards stationed outside his chambers, he gave them all a stern look.  "No one is allowed in and out of the chambers except me, do you understand?"

       "Yes, Your majesty." They replied in unison, their heads bowed. Only then did he walk out without a backward glance.
.
.
.
    Maya woke up hours later, feeling absolutely disoriented. Laying on the bed for a while, she tried to gather her thoughts. She wasn't feeling well this morning, but it seems she's alright now. Though it was already late, she finally decided to start her day.

     She tried to get out of bed but a wave of dizziness slammed her, causing her to pause. The room spinning around her, maya waited till her eyes settled. Its already in the evening, she's been sleeping all day. Why does she still feel so tired?

    She called in the maids and they ran a hot bath got her. Relaxing in the huge tub, she felt herself lowly relaxing.

      Dressed suitably for the evening, Maya decided to spend the rest of her time, going on walks. She perused the large hallway, flanked by guards. Immediately growing tired of their company, she trudged back to the king's chambers and decided to spend the rest of her time reading. That was how she spent the rest of her evening.

     To her surprise, Dexter came back rather early. He'd spent most of his day in the training grounds and the other half, reading about pregnancy in women. No matter how hard he tried to tell himself that it may not be true, his eyes had stayed glued to every book and scroll that talked about pregnancy.

     "How do you feel?" He asked as he walked up to her, kissing her forehead, all of his worries melting like the snow.

     "Much better. Have you had anything to eat yet?"

     "No, I don't feel hungry."

     "You barely ate your soup this morning and now you don't want to eat tonight?" He clicked his tongue. "You're eating." He stated with a note of finality. Maya frowned but she didn't argue with him.

     "Would you like to eat broth?" He asked as he removed his ceremonial wears. Maya immediately shook her head. Then her eyes glinted.

      "Actually, I am craving some roasted potatoes." She replied, beaming up at him. " You think I can have those for dinner?"

      Dexter chuckled. "Of course."

      Maya giggled excitedly, clapping her hands. Dexter just chuckled. The roasted potatoes were brought in for her to eat and after gingerly peeling off the burnt skin, Maya dug into the steamy, soft flesh, chewing happily. Dexter watched her as she ate, a pleased smile on her face.

     "Wow... It even tastes better than Chicken!' she mumbled between bites, bouncing happily on her seat. Then she stretched one to him. "You should try it."

     Dexter collected it from her, peeling off the skin before taking a bite. It tasted bland to him but if she thought it was delicious, then it is. " It's really good." He murmured, smiling at her.

      "But seriously, why are you smiling?" Maya asked and he shrugged.

      " You're acting really weird. " she stated, narrowing her eyes at him. He only chuckled. She continued eating till the plate before her was empty. The maids came in and cleared the plates, leaving them alone once again.

       "Okay, spill it! What is it that is making you smile so hard!" Maya yelled when she caught him smiling to himself yet again. Dexter stood in shock, staring at maya's angry face. He gulped nervously.

        He wanted to tell her, by God's bones, he really wanted to tell her that she could be pregnant. But everytime he looked at her, he felt nervous. Which was weird since she was the one who was pregnant and not him.  It is still a speculation Dexter, he yelled at himself a thousand times. The words were beginning to make less sense the more he spoke it. "I promise I'll tell you, but not now. Is that okay?"

      Maya frowned but decided to let him go. "You promised."

       "Thank you." He muttered, sounding relieved.

       With a huff, Maya sauntered to the bed, laying on it. And Dexter stood there, watching her.

       "Aren't you going to join me?"

       "Oh, I'm sorry." He mumbled and immediately joined her in bed. The second he laid beside her, she placed her head on his chest.

       "I slept all day. I'm not sure I'll be sleeping at all." Maya mumbled as she drew lines on his chest.

         "You never know. Or better still, you could watch me sleep." He said, making Maya chuckle.

        "I like that."

        He pulled her even closer, his arms tightening around her. Resting one hand on her belly, he closed his eyes. Maya snuggled into his arms, listening to his soft breathing sounds, feeling absolutely safe and content.  Dexter let the thoughts of a big family, lull him to sleep. He slept with a smile on his face that night.
.
.
.
      It was in the dead of the night. The world had gone silent and only the night creatures were busy making their rounds before the sun broke out the next day. That's when Dexter heard it. A loud crashing noise, followed by the ringing of the warning bell. His eyes snapped open, his entire body stiffening.

     The bells grew louder and Dexter blood ran cold. He jumped out of the bed, immediately wearing is robe.  His worst fears for the past few weeks has become real.

         The palace is under attack.

See you in the next chapter!!!
Don't forget to vote and comment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 49.9K 66
This story is complete ✅ Casey is a nerd, but the charming, cute type. He evades college parties like the plague. Who knew he would accidentally jump...
20.1K 563 62
I know she's in pain, yet I can't help but stare at her. She looks like she's just calmly sleeping, dreaming about who knows what. And, even though...
12K 486 32
Viscious, cruel, cold -- those are just some of the words used to describe Jade Von Kaiser, the sole heiress to the Von Kaiser fortune. Working along...
77.4K 4.8K 58
Thousands of centuries ago humans, vampires, and werewolves lived together in harmony, considering one equal to the other. Ruled by a council of thre...