Faking It

By MissKatey

All that high school junior Ellie Morris-Whittaker wants is to play division one soccer in college. Good thin... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Welcome to Kingsbridge
Chapter 2: A Very Presidential Tour
Chapter 3: Dorms, Decor, and Dinner Plans
Chapter 4: Bullies and Besties
Chapter 5: The Other Ellerby
Chapter 6: You're My Tutor?
Chapter 7: Hard No to Escargots
Chapter 8: Strike Two
Chapter 9: The Trial Run
Chapter 11: Tutors and Texts
Chapter 12: Just Say Yes
Chapter 13: Playing with Fire, Round 1
Chapter 14: Emdubs and Tee, Dynamic Duo
Chapter 15: Playing Hard To Get
Chapter 16: The Away Game
Chapter 17: Burgers and Bargains
Chapter 18: The First Date of Champions
Chapter 19: The Sweatshirt
Chapter 20: Sure Thing, Boyfriend
Chapter 21: Clearly The Best Ellerby Tutor
Chapter 22: Stolen Happily Ever Afters
Chapter 23: The Speed Bump or the Nuclear Option
Chapter 24: Ye Of Little Faith
Chapter 25: Welcome to Phase Two
Chapter 26: The Truth Is...
Chapter 27: The A-Hole Brigade
Chapter 28: Setting a Date
Chapter 29: Halloween is the One Day a Year...
Chapter 30: You're Not The Problem
Chapter 31: A Double Date, Why Not?
Chapter 32: Truth Bomb
Chapter 33: Tasting Menu Truth or Dare
Chapter 34: The Ties Were Black
Chapter 35: The Lies Were White
Chapter 36: Turkeys Break a Stalemate
Chapter 37: Thanksgiving
Chapter 38: The Do-Over
Chapter 39: Big Trouble
Chapter 40: Way Too Many Things To Think About
Chapter 41: The Infallible Wisdom of Brothers
Chapter 42: This Was The Plan, Wasn't It?
Chapter 43: Finishing What We'd Started
Chapter 44: Bye Bye Tie Knot
Chapter 45: Grades and Gustavo's
Chapter 46: Slide-Tackles, Sweatbands, and Hope
Chapter 47: Take The Shot
Chapter 48: The Look On Your Face
Epilogue
Theo - Ch 1
Theo - Ch 4
Theo - Ch 5
Theo - Ch 6

Chapter 10: Enter the Nickname

2.2K 137 25
By MissKatey

Text from: Jake Morris-Whittaker, 6:22 am

Ellie's Daily Reminder 8/180: You are braver than you know, smarter than you think, and tougher than you feel.

Do I need to come over there and make sure Simon isn't force-feeding you philosophy textbooks?

Wtv. I'm just trying to tell you to shoot for the stars.

Strive for your best.

Go for the gold

You know, sappy inspirational poster stuff.

Stick to your day job

Rude

~*~

Wednesday afternoon, I chewed my thumbnail as I studied Theo's text for the zillionth time. It glared up at me from beside my history textbook, half hidden by my notes so the prowling study hall supervisor wouldn't see it. She paced along the aisles between the library tables, while rain pattered against the skylight overhead. Across from me, Gyeong-Ja had screwed up her face in concentration, puzzling out a French translation.

Study hall is for studying

Audra's text popped up on my phone and I jerked upright from where I'd collapsed against the table. Beside Gyeong-Ja, Audra peered at me over her copy of Hamlet. I rolled my eyes and tried to focus on the chapter I was supposed to summarize before my next tutoring session, all about the lead up to the American Revolution. It was loaded with details, like which English aristocrat had pissed off which American colonist, and I was so done with the whole thing, but there were still 30 minutes to go.

A hand splayed across the page I was squinting at, while another landed on my shoulder.

"Working hard?" William whispered, looking between the book and my notes. I hastily shifted the notebook to cover my phone.

"Always," I replied.

He smiled, then moved away before the monitor snapped at us for talking.

I couldn't help but stare after him until he took a seat at the far end of the seniors' table. When Audra cleared her throat, I tried to kick her under the table. My leg met nothing but air, which earned me a stifled giggle.

"Will you two stop it," Gyeong-Ja whispered, "You're breaking my—"

"Shh!" hissed the study hall monitor.

I bent my head over my textbook, but it was a lost cause. William's fingers had crinkled the page. I traced the indent, wondering what it would feel like to hold his hand. It was ridiculous and boy crazy and I hated myself a little bit for even thinking it, but I hadn't been able to get him out of my head for the five days since the party.

Worse, I hadn't been able to banish Theo's offer. I'd thought I'd laugh it off as utterly ridiculous when I finally got over myself and properly thought it over, but I hadn't. Because Theo had been right. William had paid more attention to me this week than ever before. Usually it was in the form of addictive little run ins, just like this one. Every time, he'd touched some part of me. My arm. My shoulder. My back. Every time, I wished he'd chat longer or linger more.

And yet, he hadn't made a move. Not even when I'd been squirming with butterflies through our entire last tutoring session, so acutely aware of his presence and the exact distance between us that I'd hardly been able to focus on history. But nothing else had happened, and I'd been left to trudge back to my dorm, deflated, when he hadn't so much as flirted back.

Much to my frustration, he took his role as a tutor seriously. So seriously that I'd begun to wonder whether Theo's offer was the only way I could get him to view me in any kind of light that wasn't "that girl who's so bad at history she desperately needs you help to keep her scholarship." That, or ask me out or something. Anything other than the purgatory I was currently locked in.

No. That was the boy-crazy talking. I turned the textbook page with more force than was necessary. I didn't need Theo to help William see me like that. Just like Jake had texted that morning, I was enough on my own. I'd just work up my courage and ask William out and be done with it. Because I'd wasted far too much time daydreaming already, and with a course load that was triple what I was used to, I couldn't afford to keep losing myself in fantasies.

~*~

I'd just barely finished preparing the chapter summary that William had assigned for my Sunday night tutoring session when my iPhone reminder alarm pinged. Rolling off my bed, I snapped my laptop closed, hefted it under my arm, and grabbed my bag. Before I could leave, though, my traitorous eyes scanned my reflection in the full-length mirror that Gyeong-Ja had hung on the back of our dorm door. I made a face at the disaster of my hair—a messy bun, but the bad kind. One with a zillion flyaways that looked like I hadn't groomed myself in days. But it was the weekend, and it matched the oversized sweatpants I'd trudged around in all day. Changing out of them would be officially admitting that I gave enough of a damn about what William thought of me to try to impress him. And if there was one thing I was proud I'd never done, it was change myself for a boy. I wasn't about to start now, even though I was terribly tempted.

I stomped down the stairs, my backpack bouncing, and ignored the group of girls clustered on the couches, glued to the TV. Gyeong-Ja had told me all about their Sunday night viewing parties, and how Emma had made a big deal about putting the subtitles on when Gyeong-Ja had hesitantly joined them last year, "just in case she couldn't understand English." It made me want to punch the petite blonde.

"Hey, wait up."

I didn't slow my pace as Theo jumped up from one of the study tables, much to the surprise of the two other guys working with him. He was wearing a Kingsbridge Varsity Soccer sweatshirt with his name embroidered beneath the crest—the same kind I'd just been given as a part of my official team uniform. I hadn't worn mine yet, but his looked soft and worn-in, as if it wasn't his first year on the varsity team.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Can I walk you to tutoring?" He lifted his brows, eyes widening as if urging me to take the hint.

I blew a sigh through my nose. "Fine."

Before I could duck away, he slung his arm across my shoulders. "Would it kill you to play along?" he whispered.

I scoffed as he held open the door to the breezeway. "I never said I wanted to—"

"You wanted a free trial. Here it is."

Cricketsong filled the air, and the flagstone path was illuminated by low garden lanterns. The library windows glowed in the blue, evening light. As much as I hated to admit it, Theo smelled nice this close. And for some reason, it annoyed me that someone so irritating could smell so good.

"I don't think I want a free trial anymore," I said, trying to shrug out from under him.

"Come on." He tightened his grip. "Is this really that terrible?"

"Your arm weighs a metric ton."

He laughed, and his chest quaked against my shoulder. "Thanks. I lift."

"Of course you do, gym-bro."

"Have you ever considered it?" he asked, pinching my upper arm through the thin cotton of my long-sleeved shirt. "Bulking up might improve your throw-ins, Emdubs."

"Emdubs?" I said. "Have you already completely forgotten my name? It's Ellie, dumba—"

"Morris-Whittaker. M-W. Emdubs," he said slowly, as if explaining it to a toddler.

I vehemently shook my head. "No. Absolutely not. Ellie is—"

"What everyone else calls you. If we're gonna be—"

This time, I shoved out from under his arm, right in front of the library doors. "We aren't gonna be anything. I just told you, I'm not interested. Especially if you're always this annoying."

He threw his hands up. "You've barely given it a week. Come on, Emdub—hey, wait!"

I ripped open the library door and, as if he wasn't annoying enough already, he followed me in. The ruckus lifted all the eyes at the long study tables.

Theo caught my arm. "I'm sorry, okay?" he said, though laughter danced in his eyes. "I know I can be annoying, but I can't help it. There's something about you that I just can't get enough of."

A giggle erupted from the pair of freshmen girls nearest to us. My cheeks flamed. I knew it was just part of his act, but all the same, it was mortifying to have someone say that to me, out loud, in public. Flustered, my words got all caught in my throat, so I pivoted on my heel and stalked towards where William was watching us from the end of one of the tables.

"Text me later," Theo called after me. Someone aggressively shushed him, and it was all I could do not to flip him off. I settled for an angry shake of my head instead.

"You okay?" William asked quietly, closing his book and standing. I was more than a little embarrassed to discover that he definitely wasn't in sweatpants like me. Instead, he was in a fitted cashmere sweater and those damned distracting jeans.

"Never better," I lied, refusing to look back at Theo. "Did you reserve a study room?"

"Yes." William's brows crashed together when he looked over my shoulder, then smoothed out when his eyes slid to me. "Are you and my brother..."

Dammit.

My shoulders deflated. Theo was right. The proof was staring me right in the face.

"No, not really," I said, hoping my nonchalance offset the mortified blush still lingering in my cheeks.

Someone else shushed us. William studied me as if he didn't quite believe me, then gestured for me to follow him. My heart pounded in my ears as he led me through the stacks, towards one of the windowed rooms meant for group work and talking. But before we turned the corner, I glanced back over my shoulder.

Theo was still watching me, that infuriating grin on his face. As if he knew exactly what his brother had asked, and exactly what was going through my mind.

**A/N: The trial run is in full force! Plus I had to come up with the most annoying nickname for Ellie because that's obviously what Theo would pick. 😅

So, do you think Ellie will have the guts to ask Will out in their tutoring session? Looks like we'll find out in next week's update... 👀 ❤️ 👀

As always, if you enjoyed it, please take a moment to vote and comment! Next update coming next Wednesday Jan 11!**

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7K 132 54
"No I'm not dealing with your shit." "No more tutoring sessions." "Deal." - Summer, a high schooler, at Parkview university. She's perfect, blonde, b...
38K 1.2K 50
Emily Hale had the perfect life. She had the perfect grades, she was pretty as well as popular. People liked her and her amazing boyfriend, William...
68K 2.5K 48
"TWO PEOPLE BROUGHT TOGETHER BY HATRED." * * * Leah Perry and Joshua Carter hate each othe...
887K 20.7K 63
[editing...] A story about two confusing people who have no idea of what they're doing. Ellie Mae Miller enters her senior year in hopes of starting...