The Billionaire And The Waitr...

By moonsarai

Adrien Vitale is one of the most powerful people in the world. Daughter of a business man, she will stop at n... More

01 - an ultimatum
02 - a tampon
03 - a disaster
04 - a nightmare
05 - a proposal
06 - a deal
07 - a loophole
08 - a museum
09 - a chase
10 - a bargain
11 - a meeting
12 - an idea
13 - a joke
14 - a bite
15 - a goodnight
16 - a sleepover
17 - a lie
18 - an experience
19 - a tragedy
20 - a memory
21 - a city
22 - a video
23 - a death
24 - a surprise
25 - a birth
26 - a plane
27 - a picture
28 - a beach
30 - a time
31 - a loss
32 - an altar
33 - an ending
34 - an afterparty
35 - a moon
36 - a ruining
37 - a cake
38 - a concern
39 - a morning
40 - a breakfast
41 - a reveal
42 - a mistake
43 - a grandmother
44 - a tangle
45 - an agreement
46 - a high
47 - a love
48 - a shadow
49 - a friendship
50 - a rescue
51 - a slice
52 - a wraith
53 - a guest
54 - a scuba diver
55 - a burst
56 - a drowning
57 - a rib
58 - a strike
59 - an evacuation
60 - a blue sky
61 - an island

29 - an idea

30.6K 1.2K 480
By moonsarai

Two chapters today, in honour of the New Year. Cheers.

LOGICALLY, rationally, Adrien understood all the motives to get married were gone. With her name on her father's will as the only heir to his entire fortune, under threat of releasing that video to the public, her father had nothing to hold over her head. And nothing to hold over Muse's head.

    Adrien didn't need a family woman reputation anymore. She didn't have a bullshit, wholesome, Catholic family name to uphold. She'd gotten what she'd wanted.

    What she thought she'd wanted.

    Now, as she touched down on a private landing strip in Greece, she couldn't help thinking of Muse. Again.

    She'd picked up the phone several times. Intending to call the wedding off. Each time, she put the phone back down. Each time, she pictured Muse, the birdlike tilt to her head and the warmth of her smile.

     She couldn't hold Muse to a wedding, now that there was no reason for it. That would be selfish. That would be crazy. 

     But she couldn't make herself call it all off.

     Already, she'd transferred the million dollars into Muse's bank account. She didn't give a fuck about that. 

     And it wasn't so much the idea of trapping Muse in a marriage. That wasn't it either. 

     The plane rolled to a stop. Adrien shifted the gears and cut the engine. The lights flickered off and the power disappeared in a final exhale, along with the gas. Adrien laid her head against the control panel.

     She'd flown to Greece in record time, using a fighter jet she had reserved for emergencies. She'd probably broken several air laws. But the wedding was in a few hours. 

     Muse, there's no reason for us to get married.

     I gave you the money anyway, though.

     What do we do now? Well, I don't know. I mean, we don't have to see each other ever again. We can just go our separate ways, I guess.

     Except that I've fallen in love with you. 

     Adrien lifted her head and surveyed the hot, overwhelming, sun-soaked fields of Greece. She'd bought this land ages ago and converted it into a landing strip for her private plane. She'd never noticed how beautiful it was: lavender flowers, stretching as far as the horizon like a pale purple blanket.

     Lavender. It reminded her of Muse. The conversation they'd had on her balcony, what felt like ages ago. 

     If Adrien called off the wedding, she'd probably never see Muse again. They were no longer bound by contract. By anything at all. They'd been strangers before―they'd be strangers once more. It would be fine. It would be fine, if only Adrien hadn't fallen so damn hard. If only Adrien didn't love seeing Muse every day, seeing her face light up, seeing her drenched in warm golden afternoon sunlight while she napped on the couch. It would be just fine.

     Right about now, Muse would probably have just arrived at their shared suite. The wedding dress would be laid out on the bed. The white linen curtains would be rippling in the sea-kissed breeze. Adrien owned the entire hotel, and it was her favourite room, albeit one she'd never used: floor-to-ceiling windows that were usually left open during the daytime to let in the scent of sandy beach. Art that cost a fortune, all soft, soothing colour. A marble-and-gold bathroom with a sunken bathtub, big enough to fit two people comfortably.

     The other guests would probably be arriving now, too, if they hadn't already. The chairs were likely being lined up on the beach. Someone was probably weaving flowers into the altar, too. 

     Muse, we don't have to get married anymore.

     Is it crazy that I still want to? 

     Yes, it was crazy. Actually, it was insane. But Adrien didn't want Muse to become a stranger. Didn't want to stop seeing Muse everyday. 

      She had to find Muse. Had to tell her. It wouldn't be fair to get married knowing the deal was null and void. Even if it meant telling the guests to go home, even if it meant the wedding decorations would be dismantled and thrown away. Even if it meant this entire thing had been for nothing.

     But not really for nothing. Adrien pictured saying it. Pictured Muse. Because I got to meet you. Because I fell for you. Because I am in love with you. 

     The odds of Muse feeling the same way seemed too low to risk it. 

     Adrien had spent her entire life behind a mask. Suppressing her feelings made her a better CEO, a better leader. It made sure she never got hurt. 

    And she'd need that―the ice-cold demeanour, the heartless act―now more than ever. She'd be the heir of the Vitale enterprises for certain. She would control a tenth of the entire world's net worth. Billions and billions of dollars.

     Would Muse even want to be a billionaire's wife? Would Muse even want her once there was no more deal, no more money in it? 

     Adrien couldn't blame her for that. This was supposed to be purely professional.

     And I'm the moron who fell in love. 

ADRIEN dusted off the keys to one of her cars. She had a garage full of them for when she landed one of her personal planes. This one, the 1925 Rolls Royce Phantom, was a favourite.

     She'd bought it at a car show from a very persuasive sales associate with cherry-red heels and cherry-red hair to match. They'd fucked in the car dealership bathroom afterwards. To celebrate the deal, the woman had said. Adrien shook her head at the memory.

     She started the car, slid on a pair of sunglasses, and flipped the radio until she found a song she liked: Seven Nation Army, by the White Stripes. 

     She had been to Greece far too many times to count. The long, winding roads were as familiar to her as the busy streets in New York City. 

     This time, though―backing off the property and beginning the long, highway-like stretch to the resort―was different.

     Muse was waiting for her.

     Adrien was in love with someone who didn't love her back. Karma, probably, for all the women she'd rejected. 

     In the passenger seat, her phone began to ring.

     Keeping her eyes on the road, Adrien leaned over and fished her hand over the leather seat for her phone. She answered it with one hand, the other still on the steering wheel.

     "Adrien?" 

     Muse's soft, familiar voice made Adrien grin. She wanted to shake herself at the fact that just a simple hello from this woman could make her smile like that. 

     "Hi, baby," Adrien replied. How was she supposed to call off their wedding? How could she tell Muse she had blackmail over her father now, so there was no real reason for them to get married anymore? 

     A phone call wasn't right. Adrien should wait till she saw her in person. 

     "Are you almost here, sweetheart?" A teasing note had entered Muse's voice. 

     It was just part of the contract for Muse. It couldn't be more obvious. They were both just playing the part―at least, Muse was. Because Adrien had to be the stupid one, and fall in love.

    "Almost, honey."

    "How's your father?"

    "He's good. He'll be here soon." Adrien had no idea if that was true. She knew she should call off the wedding now. It would be in a few hours. And it would be simple―so simple, if she did it now. "Muse . . . wait. There's something I need to tell you."

     "What is it, baby?" 

     Fuck. Muse's voice was so gentle, so sweet, and the way she had said baby . . . Adrien's heartbeat rocketed up. No, it was probably better to tell her in person. 

     A voice whispered in Adrien's head that she was avoiding it. She told that voice to fuck off.

    "Nothing. Don't worry about it. I'll see you soon."

    The ghost of a smile lingered in Muse's voice as she said, more quietly, "Okay. I miss you."

    Adrien hesitated. Maybe Muse was around other people right now. She was just keeping up the lie in front of them. Putting on a front. It didn't mean anything. "I miss you, too, I . . ."

    "Yeah?"

    "Nothing, I was just distracted. Bye, baby."

    "Bye, Adrien."

     Adrien hung up first. She would have to see Muse soon, and break it to her that there didn't need to be a wedding anymore. The thought filled her with dread. There would be no avoiding it, once they were together. Adrien would have to come clean. Her father had nothing over her. She would get the company. Muse would get her money regardless. All loose ends were tied. The wedding had to be called off as soon as possible. As soon as Adrien got to the resort.

    Almost without meaning to, though, Adrien slowed down the car until she was driving under the speed limit. 

     Just for safety reasons.

***

Change of plans.

From the moon and back,
Sarai

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 26.2K 30
"Give me my shirt. And my underwear." I look up at his messy hair and his red lips-all because of me-and suddenly lose my breath. "Or what?" He pulls...
1.7M 63.3K 47
"You have already ruined my life, what else do you want?", I barked at him. "Ten minutes", he muttered. "What?", I asked as I was unable to hear him...
1.7M 50.7K 39
Copyrights © 2014 by itslovely23 All rights reserved (Revised) Meet Matt Leonardo. One of the wealthiest men in California. The owner of the Na...
86.2K 2.5K 27
''Please, don't flatter yourself. My tampons go deeper than your d*ck could ever!" *** When the young, carefree, and spoiled Scarlet Harper is forced...