Good Luck Charm (Completed)

By smileall_days

"We're just friends." Seems to be like a motto for Vincent Chance and Soccer star Lucas Marshall. Whenever an... More

Prologue
First Days and Family Friends
Helping and Hurting
Lunch and Looks
Cover Contest
Exes and Oh's
Annoyances and Allegories
Romance and Late Romantic Literature
Tutors and Teas
Soccer Games and Solid Luck
Dares and Drama
Car Rides and Carrying On
Tall Boys and Sleepy Boys
Hang Ups and Hangovers
Friends and Foes
Numbers and Naysayers
Blue Breds and Blue Heads
Scary Movies and Spilled Drinks
Stores and Whores
Angered Friends and Scattered Ends
Goodbyes and Cheap Highs
Friends and Enemies
Teasing and Pleasing
Asses and Allies
Turkey Arms and Lucky Charms
Cheery Thanksgivings and New Beginnings
Advice and Avarice
Help and Homes
Sleeps and Creeps
Possessive and Political
Solutions and Substitutions
Reality and Relationships
Hearts and Tarts
Meals and Deals
Mornings and Courtings
Roomies and Zoomies
Rough Tides and Car Rides
Regrets and Regression
Moms and Qualms
Big Shocks and Cock Blocks
Rude and Crude
Stories and Glories
Finals and Fancies
Crime and Punishment
Redemptions and Recompense
Panics and Attacks
Change and Chances
Doctors and Proctors
Rightful and Romantic
Better Days and Shorter Stays
Far Off and Future
Christmas Trees and Perfect T's
Good Friends and Great Ends

Love and Decor

4K 124 7
By smileall_days

"I just can't get over how big Lucas has gotten" Ms. Chance remarked for what felt like the hundredth time. "You know, we haven't seen him since middle school-- there's something about that year between high school and college for boys-- they come back as men."

"hmm?" Vincent sounded, paying half attention as he walked through the rows of trees.

"I knew your father well too. It was that summer that I fell in love with him. It's just something in men. You're not ever quite sure what, but it's just different. I suppose there's a little less in their cheeks, and a little more in their shoulders, and oh the neck thickens out a little bit, but it's more than that. It's attitude and posture. It's just a change that says, I'm not a little boy anymore." She explained.

"Of course Dad still acts like a little boy." Vincent chuckled.

"That he does, but not Lucas." Ms. Chance smiled and she looked at a particularly full green tree. "Such a sense of responsibility in that boy. I was worried too, his family is so wealthy, and money almost always corrupts children. Not Lucas thought, he was pure as an angel since the day we met him."

"He was." Vincent agreed with a smile.

"He used to love spending time at our house... sometimes I wondered if he liked it better even then his own." She smiled wistfully. "Those were some of the best years, you were so little back then, maybe you don't even remember."

"I remember some."

"Good, I hope you do." Ms. Chance nodded to herself. "You know he always was so fond of you, he was older, but he looked up to you--- I'd always catch him trying to mimic your actions or the way you sat. Once-" Ms. Chance stopped to hold a laugh. "Once I walked in to find him all dressed in your clothes... you'd gone to the bathroom or something and he had gotten all dressed up in your clothing... he just wanted to please you, still does-- if you ask me."

Vincent nodded silently. He knew it was true, Lucas had told him as much. The boy had loved him for his whole life. Vincent didn't know how he could ever return that will.

"That's why I was so flustered when you suddenly didn't get one anymore... I know children go through these things, but I could see it in his eyes that he'd do anything to keep you. But you're so stubborn."

"Mom!" Vincent groaned, not ready for the fit of criticism that usually followed her calling out his stubbornness.

"It's alright Vincent, you get that from me." She smiled. "The first step to managing it is realizing you have a problem. I think you've come a long way since the beginning of this year. You've done a lot of growing up--- a mother can always tell. I think the same things happened to you since high school. You're a man now. My little man." She looked away to prevent him from seeing any further. She wasn't in tears, but close. To a mother without a husband her son was everything.

"Thank you mom." Vincent pulled her into a hug.

"I'm moving back with you!" She cried.

"You can't. You've got work here." Vincent smiled fondly.

"You're right.. you've let Lucas take care of you, that's all I really wanted. I'm just so glad. So very glad, but Vincent... you know he won't wait around for ever, don't you?"

"Excuse me?" Vincent asked.

"Even you can't deny he loves you anymore, Vincent. When his mother told me she thought he might have a little crush on you, I didn't believe her. I thought she was projecting and being paranoid, but it's true. Clear as day."

"What are you talking about?" Vincent frowned.

"He's in love with you, I can see it in the way he looks at you-- it's glowing off of him. And... I wasn't sure... I was never sure, but I saw it yesterday. You love him too!"

"I-" Vincent began.

"A mother knows these things. You love him too. Sometimes I thought you did growing up, others not, but now I mean... now it just... it's all around you. It's everywhere. You love him, you love him desperately. Don't stand in your own way Vincent. You and I.... we think and we think and we think, but we never just do. Just kiss him already, you know you want to... somewhere deep down you must know he wants you to too. I promise you, Vincent you won't regret it."

"Mom...?" Vincent's frown grew to a slight smile.

"Tell me you will Vincent. Tell me that you'll tell him how you feel--- Don't be afraid of getting rejected or of what could go wrong or anything, just do it."

"Mom!" Vincent called again, this time with a more exasperated smile.

"What?"

"Lucas and I have been dating since Thanksgiving."

The words hung in the air, and Ms. Chance's eyes widened. Not with anger but with joy, pure unbridled joy. She burst into a fit of laughing and pulled Vincent into a hug.

"You have?" She practically yelled, making herself heard to half the Christmas tree farm.

"Yes mom, we have."

"Oh my- And you didn't tell me until now? Thanksgiving was over a month ago!" Ms. Chance's face turned to something close to amused anger. "Oh I don't care, I'm just so glad... so very glad. My two boys are together... for real this time!"

"We are." Vincent shared her smile.

"You're serious, Vincent, you really did it? You told him how you felt?"

"Would I lie about something like this?" Vincent shrugged.

"So what happened, how did it happen?" She buzzed.

"We were arguing..." Vincent began, earning a smirk from Ms. Chance. "and he said that he thought it would be too difficult for us to continue being friends."

"And then?"

"Then I told him I didn't understand why, and he said it was because he was in love with me, and I'd never love him back." The boy explained.

"Then you told him?" She grinned with delight.

"Then I told him that I did love him and if he wanted it, I would want us to be together."

"And then what happened?"

"Then..." Vincent trailed off with a playful look in his eyes. "Then we kissed."

"Oh Vinny!" Ms. Chance was beaming ear to ear. "I'm so proud of you, so very proud.

...

Ms. Chance and Vincent selected a medium tree with a bit of heft towards the bottom and with some minor amount of difficulty between the two of them, they were able to get it onto the top of the car for the ride home.

Ms. Chance buzzed about the new relationship, she scarcely was able to catch her breath as she went on and on about how exciting it was and how wonderful she thought it had the potential to be. Of course, she warned Vincent not to let their fire burn out. A relationship-- she insisted-- required constant attendance.

"Mom!" Vincent chided as they reached the apartment building. "Be cool, we don't want to freak Lucas out."

"No of course not!" She agreed, but her pace remained quick as she got out of the car. They ended up riding the elevator with the tree between them in something of a very awkward position, but then finally were able to get it out of the elevator and onto the ground in the hallway.

"Push!" Ms. Chance called.

"I'm trying!" Vincent called back.

Through the door it went, and into the tree stand. Lucas had gone and returned from the store bearing decorations of all kinds and other necessities for a tree. With the stand he provided Vincent and his mother were able to hoist the tree up to a standing position and get it to stay there.

"It's a good tree, I think." Vincent mumbled.

"I think so too." Ms. Chance agreed.

Lucas who'd been in the kitchen wandered into the room with a good natured smile on his face. He found his place at Vincent's side naturally as if it was where he was always meant to be.

"It's a pretty tree." He said cheerfully. "Shall we decorate it?"

With that the family began tearing open boxes filled with lights and ornaments and throwing them around the tree. It was more half-hazard than Vincent would have liked, but by the time they were finished the tree looked beautiful. It glowed with yellow lights and was adorned with red balls from the grocery store which had come in a pack. It was a simple tree, but very cohesive and it lit the room beautifully.

"Wow." Vincent chuckled. "I think it's a winner."

"Mhhm." Ms. Chance sounded in agreement.

"Oh!" Called Lucas after a moment. "I got a few other bits and bobs for around the house." Lucas said, making his way over the the bags he'd brought in. "I got some garland in case you wanted it, oh and some mistletoe, so we'll all have to be careful where we stand."

As he spoke his eyes turned to Vincent hopefully.

"Wouldn't want anyone accidentally finding themself under it." Lucas grinned.

"You and Vincent don't need mistletoe to kiss!" Ms. Chance cried triumphantly.

"What?" Lucas' brows furrowed in confusion.

"She knows, Lucas."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5M 190K 28
Everyone knows that Spencer and Ethan are definitely, irrefutably, wholeheartedly, totally, unconditionally, unquestionably, completely, entirely, ut...
259 155 22
When your first encounter with the love of your life is in the middle of an earthquake it is quite chaotic. On that day, it wasn't just the earth's t...
107K 7.8K 79
In the day-to-day trenches of high school, it is almost the default-setting to believe we are the main character of our own coming-of-age story. Thi...
33.3K 2.6K 38
[BXB / unedited ] Saying that Max Oran is a disaster would be an understatement: he got himself kicked out of school, his dad has sent him to live wi...