Only Love Can Hurt Like This...

By SecondsOfReading

Willow fell in love with the bad boy when she was 16 years old- married him when she was 18- and became a wid... More

The start
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight (18+)
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven

Chapter Three

1.1K 56 6
By SecondsOfReading

"It doesn't matter that he's gone, you're still part of the family."

It had been two weeks since the funeral and Willow was trying desperately to stay afloat. She didn't know how she was expected to just go back to her life, now that half of her life was gone, and the other half burned to the ground.

So, she did what she's done since she was a kid, pretended everything was fine and normal and throwing herself into her school work and job.

She worked at the local library, and although she's always been a good worker, she's doesn't think she's ever been this diligent before.

Other than going to work or class, doing so much at both that her body and no choice but to sleep the moment her head hit the pillow at night, she didn't do anything else.

She had gotten a few calls and texts from Gemma, but the young girl didn't want to be around anyone, didn't want to be reminded, so she didn't respond outside of two word responses of 'I'm fine', just so the older women knew she was still alive.

She should have known that wouldn't last long.

As she's putting some books back on one of the shelves near the end of the day, in her own head and unaware of anything else, she's startled by the gruff voice that makes itself known beside her, "There you are sunshine."

Willow yelps in fright, dropping the books in her hands to the ground as she turns to the disturbance, "Happy!"

The older mans lips twitch just enough for her to know he found amusement in her surprise. Out of all the members, Willow felt the safest around Happy and Chibs, always making extra sweets or lunches to send with Nathan for those men. Despite the hard exteriors both men carried, and sometimes scary stories she would pretend not to listen to, they were good men. They were the first two members of the club to greet her with kindness and she never forgot that. In return, both those men felt a certain protection over the girl, one that only heightened with the passing of her husband and their brother.

"I'm here to bring ya to Gems for dinner."

Willow sighs, "Im tired. I told her I wasn't going to be able to make it."

Happy shrugs, "Wasn't an option, kiddo. She told me to not come unless I got ya so, let's go. Im starving."

He watches as she huffs, closing up the library and grabbing her bag, throwing it over her shoulders. She follows him as he walks her to her car, her arms crossed and a frown on her face the whole time.

Being around a rowdy group of people, is not how she wants to spend her night. She just wants to wallow in her pity and sleep until she has to get up in the morning.

Happy follows her the entire way to Gemmas and Willow wishes she could have just turned right and went to her apartment. She's refused everything Gemma has invited her to for the last 2 weeks, but she knew she would eventually have to show face. She just thought she would have a few more days of peace.

"Hi baby." Gemma greets her as she gets out of her car, waiting on the porch.

Willow tries to send her a small smile, "Hey, Gem."

She gives the same greeting to the rest of the bikers when she heads inside, trying to ignore the pit in her stomach as she glances towards the dinning table, knowing this will be the first time she's ever sat there without Nathan.

Chibs must see the hesitation on her face because he just gently grasp her arm and leads her to the opposite side of where she usually sits, "You can seat next to me, las. Tell me bout a new book you've read."

The dinner was calm, and good, but Gemmas food is always good, something Willow knows well.

The matriarch of the MC loaded up Willows plate twice, sending the girl a pointed look when she went to protest. Chibs helped her clear the second, sneaking food off when Gemma wasn't looking, making Willow laugh softly to herself.

Truthfully, it wasn't until it came time to clean up, Willow offering to do the dishes, that her grief returned full force, the peaceful atmosphere from the table disappearing.

As she's scrubbing one of the plates, her head buzzing, a voice behind her broke her from the haze, "Haven't seen ya in awhile."

Turning around, her green eyes meet the steel blue of the prince of charming, "Uh, yeah. Been busy."

Jax nods a few times, but by the rise of his eyebrow as he takes a step forward, she feels he doesn't believe her, "I bet. The library seems like a very lively place."

"Well I doubt you have any sort of evidence it's not." Willow raises a mocking brow of her own. She would bet money Jax Teller doesn't even know where the library is in this town.

Jax smirks, "I've been to the library."

"Find out they have stock of all the playboy editions?"

"They have those?" Jax asks, eyes wide, and it pulls the first genuine laugh from Willow in weeks, making Jax smile in return.

Everyone in town knows Willow Scott is the literal personification of sunshine, but since Nathan's death, it's as if the sun left Charming, California with him.

"Really though, how you been?"

Willow sighs, turning back to the dishes sitting in the sink, "I'm good. Better."

Jax walks forward and leaning up against the counter next to her, studying her as she focuses on her task. The circles under her eyes aren't nearly as bad as they were at the funeral and her voice sounds back to normal. But her shoulders are still tense, her frown lines ever present, and he knows, she might be doing better, but she's not good.

He's had to hear his mom complain for the last two weeks about how Willow was shutting her out, which in Gemma's world was a major problem, Willows been the only old lady of the club his mom actually likes, outside of Luanne.

He also knows his mom takes on a lot of responsibility keeping the club, it's members, and it's friends, all going. It's been awhile since they've lost a member, and this hit everyone hard. But no one is naive enough to think it hit them harder than Willow. His mom lost a husband, and those feelings are bound to rear their ugly head in the wake of this tragedy.

His mom usually worries for nothing, and he hates when she puts her nose where it doesn't belong, but he hasn't been able to stop thinking of Nathan's last words, his dying pleas, and the promise he made to him before the reaper took him home.

Part of keeping those promises, involves sticking his nose where he usually wouldn't, and he can't help but roll his eyes inwardly, knowing he truly is his mother's son.

Jax grabs the clean plate from Willows hands, placing it back down in the sink. The girl refuses to look up at him, making him gently grab her chin and make her, "We're all here for you, you're not grieving alone."

Willow removes herself from his grasp, taking a step back and crossing her arms, "You don't need to worry about me, I'm just a dead members wife."

Jaxs ticks his tongue, a serious look on his face, "It doesn't matter that he's gone, you're still part of the family." He takes a step closer, again fording her to look in his eyes when she tries to look away, "We take care of our own."

Willow swallows the lump on her throat, trying to keep the tears in her eyes from falling out. She has yet to cry in front of anyone since that first night, always putting on a mask, but Jax's calm voice opens the flood gates, and eventually the son comes out.

Jax is quick to pull her into his chest, wrapping his arms around her shoulders and head. He smooths his hand up and down her back comfortingly.

He doesn't know how long he holds her as she cries, only looking up when he feels someone watching him, shaking his head softly to his mom, letting her know he's got it.

He made a promise after all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.1K 520 26
The newly single Jax Teller has gotten very acquainted with Charming's newest resident. His life seems simple until he's completely derailed by the h...
7.4K 226 25
What if Jax Teller didn't die on the day he was planning to take his own life via semi-truck collision like his own father did? What if he continued...
81.4K 2.4K 16
When people say that they would do anything to protect their children, it's true, and nobody knows that feeling more that Willowdean Sterling. She's...
206K 3.9K 60
Charming, California. "What a poisonous town." Bliss Lowman, sister of Happy Lowman, moves to Charming to be closer to her family. She has always l...