More to You ✔

By Voyageavecmoi

As Maria accepts being a newly single expat teacher in Thailand, she can't forget the passionate kiss she sha... More

Chapter 1 - Catfish Soup (Mitch)
Chapter 2 - Movies (Maria)
Chapter 3 - A Tricky Dessert (Tom)
Chapter 4 Ayutthaya (Maria)
Chapter 5 - Boat Noodle (Maria)
Chapter 6 - Classroom Hacks (Mitch)
Chapter 7 - Penang Curry (Mitch)
Chapter 8 - Bar Brawl (Mitch)
Chapter 9 - Comfort Food (Maria)
Chapter 10 - Impromptu intervention (Tom)
Chapter 11 - Nachos 'n Drama (Maria)
Chapter 12 - Giant Lizards (Maria)
Chapter 13 - December 14th (Mitch)
Chapter 14 - Dancing Shrimp (Maria)
Chapter 15 - Promises (Mitch)
Chapter 16 - Christmas shopping (Maria)
Chapter 17 - Family (Tom)
Chapter 18 - A touch of home (Maria)
Chapter 19 - Red (Mitch)
Chapter 20 - Pain (Maria)
Chapter 21 - Bittersweet (Tom)
Chapter 22 - Gift exchange (Maria)
Chapter 23 - Called out (Mitch)
Chapter 24 - Emily (Mitch)
Chapter 25 - Christmas Skate (Maria)
Chapter 26 - Koh Kret (Maria)
Chapter 27 - Strawberry Fields (Tom)
Chapter 28 Waterfall (Maria)
Chapter 29 - Diving (Mitch)
Chapter 30 - Family Meals (Maria)
Chapter 31 - New Year's Eve Revelations- Pt 1 (Tom)
Chapter 31 - New Year's Revelations Pt 2 (Tom)
Chapter 32 - New Year Reflections (Mitch)
Chapter 33 - Mountain Warmth (Maria)
Chapter 34 - A Mistake? (Mitch)
Chapter 35 - First Date (Tom)
Chapter 36 - Tom Yum Goong (Maria)
Chapter 37 - Party Planning (Mitch)
Chapter 38 - Guilt (Maria)
Chapter 39 - Pierogies (Tom)
Chapter 40 - Loss (Maria)
Chapter 41 - Pool Party Part 1 (Mitch)
Chapter 41 - Pool Party Part 2 (Mitch)
Chapter 42 - Pool Party (Maria)
Chapter 43 - Late Night Worries (Tom)
Chapter 44 - Aftermath (Maria)
Chapter 45 French Café (Mitch)
Chapter 46 - Go-karting (Mitch)
Chapter 47 - Decisions Part 1 (Maria)
Chapter 48 Decisions Part 2 (Maria)
Chapter 49 Empty (Tom)
Chapter 50 - Hollow (Mitch)
Chapter 51 - Falling (Maria)
Chapter 52 - Seventh falls (Tom)
Chapter 53 - Fix You (Mitch)
Chapter 54 - Rebound (Tom)
Chapter 55 - Khwae Yai Bridge (Maria)
Chapter 56 - The River Part 1 (Mitch)
Chapter 56 - The River Part 2 (Mitch)
Chapter 56 - The River Part 3 (Mitch)
Chapter 57 - Ocean Eyes (Maria)
Chapter 58 - No Rest (Mitch)
Chapter 59 - Palentines Day (Maria)
Chapter 60 - Picnic (Tom)
Chapter 62 - La Normandie (Tom)
Chapter 63 - Hold On (Maria)
What to read next

Chapter 61 - Keystage Leader (Mitch)

37 4 27
By Voyageavecmoi

Mitch, Shawn, Priya, and Marissa from the kindergarten team sat in the administrative office going over the final staffing plan for next year, the textbook orders, and class lists with Mr. Paul and Ms. Pim. It was the tedious work Shawn complained about, but Mitch was excited about it. The move to Matayom English classes with the older students was a big change, but he rose to the challenge. This was the first time he didn't turn down the keystage leader position, and it felt good to take on more responsibility again. He would have to make amends with Becca if they were sharing office space, but Emma would be there too and a newbie teaching math.

Mr. Paul's tablet chimed, and after a few clicks, he sighed, rubbing his forehead. "Every year. It appears we will need to find a new P4 teacher."

"Tom, who teaches science. He didn't accept a job for next year yet." Mitch blurted out as Prae's worried rants to him and Maria came to mind.

"The matayom teacher? I thought he declined," Ms. Pim said.

Mr. Paul met Mitch's gaze. "Right. He talked to me earlier about looking for work. Thank you, Mitch. If he's interested, that should make the search easier than this fall. So, talk to your teams about the resources they need for next year so we can get those book orders in soon."

The meeting closed, and Mitch headed back to their work area. Maria smiled at him from where she chatted with Emma and asked how his first big meeting went.

"Great. Emma, please talk to Tom about what textbooks worked for him and decide what you want to order."

"Roger that, boss." She mock-saluted him. "It's going to be weird splitting up." She turned to Maria. "You sure you don't want to teach junior high math?"

"No thanks, I'm looking forward to the Ks way too much. The kindergarten teachers have all invited me out for lunch tomorrow. Plus, I hated math enough in school, no need to teach it every single block. I'll stick to counting or singing to a hundred, thanks."

Mitch grinned. As much as he would miss sitting next to her, he was happy she'd landed the position that would stress her out less and play to her strengths of singing, dancing, and relating to little ones.

"I can buy you lunches and help with the math," Emma offered with a grin.

Maria chuckled and looked at Emma and Mitch. "You two will be together."

"Yeah, but he's easier to manipulate when you're distracting him, and you're more fun than he is."

They all laughed. Despite Emma's teasing, Maria had kept her word, and they were keeping their romantic distance. It didn't mean he thought about her any less or was any less susceptible to her charm, but at least it would protect her a little more if his progress derailed.

So far, his therapist was satisfied with his growth and willingness to dive into his past, but she reminded him that challenging his anxiety around Emily's death would take time and effort. It was growing easier, but he couldn't talk about it without getting lightheaded or his palms sweating. He'd been hoping that by the March holidays he'd be ready for a romantic getaway with Maria, but his therapist still warned it was too soon for the all-consuming relationship he wanted.

But she had given him a flicker of hope in the session yesterday evening that he couldn't wait to share with Maria later. That along with another impulsive decision he'd made this week that he hoped she'd love and his therapist would hate.

"I'm going to pop into Matayom, but I'll be right back." He smiled at Maria.

He crossed the threshold into the four-desk office he'd be joining in May. Tom and Becca were chatting while the other two desks were empty. He'd have to pick Amelia's brain about English textbooks and novel studies later.

"What do you want?" Becca asked curtly. Her lips still curled into a sneer when they spoke.

"If you need equipment or anything else for next year, let me know so I can order it."

"Yeah, I know how it works. I've been here as long as you."

He couldn't help but suspect she might be bitter about him taking the keystage leader position even though she'd tried to talk him into it last year, and her schedule was too busy to take it on.

"Oh Tom, a P4 job just opened up. I mentioned you, but you probably want to put Mr. Paul's mind at ease before he considers anyone else."

Tom's head shot up. "Are you serious?"

"Yeah, go if that's what you want."

Tom bolted out of his chair so fast it almost tipped, leaving Mitch and Becca chuckling. When she looked up at him, her lips pressed into a thin line.

"I know I'm the last person you want to work with, let alone report to."

She studied her nails. "Understatement of the year."

"I am incredibly sorry about hurting you, leading you on, calling you names, and not being clear about what we were. I'm sure there's more."

She crossed her legs at the ankles. "We were a bloody joke, at least to you."

"I was upset that Sunny and Dan were leaving. So were you. It was just supposed to be physical. We'd both had arrangements like that with other people before."

Becca kept her voice low. "We were friends for three years. How did you think I could do that? Plus, you shared things that were way too intimate for a casual relationship."

"I messed up, and I'm sorry."

She looked around the empty room. "The worst part is Maria. It would have been one thing if you just slept together, but you pining after her, all broken up once she started dating Tom. You hooked up with her the same weekend you blew me off, not even a second of hesitation or remorse, and you're a different person. You stop partying and sleeping around for her. Some woman who'd been here for like a month. We'd been friends for years. It's so insulting." Tears dotted Becca's eyes.

"I hurt and pushed her away too if it's any consolation."

Becca huffed. "It's not."

It sounded like she needed an explanation to move on, and he had one that kept growing clearer the more he went to therapy. She deserved to hear it. "I came to Thailand after my twin sister died." He took another breath to focus as the lights flickered in the corner of his vision.

"I was depressed, still am, and the only way I could deal with it was to become someone different. That's who you were friends with for years, a guy pretending he had no past, no connections, no family. I got caught up in it, and it was a problem. I was a problem. When Sun and Dan moved on, it was too strong of a reminder of my past. I needed a distraction, so I turned to you."

"I told you things I've never shared with anyone."

That pain echoed deep in his chest. It was like getting Maria's support the night before the party then watching her with Tom for hours. In Mitch's case, it had worked out, but Becca wouldn't get that outcome.

"You'll find someone better. If I had told you more about me, you would have run."

"It wasn't fair. I lost Sunny, then you, plus Shawn's distant too because of us, and nothing stayed the way it was. I can't even be friends with Maria, since being around her just makes me feel betrayed."

Mitch's chest grew heavier. "I'm so sorry, Beck. Why'd you agree to another year?"

"Priya asked, and Tom thought he might stay before his breakup. He's not a great party companion, but he's a good listener, or he was until dreams of Prae filled his head."

"They're a nice couple."

"Says the guy who's dying to sleep with Tom's ex, or date or whatever the hell it is you two have going on."

"Friends, until I make more progress in therapy."

"Therapy. Blimey, I thought depression was an excuse."

"Nah, I got legitimate, lifelong problems. You dodged a bullet." He smiled.

Becca laughed around him for the first time in months. "That doesn't surprise me."

"I am deeply sorry about how I treated you. I didn't even consider the ripple effects it had on your friendships. You didn't deserve any of that. And you are going to find someone so much better because you are an absolute catch. A perfect 10."

She sat up taller and uncrossed her legs. "Ten? C'mon, you know better than anyone that I've broken way past ten."

Mitch smiled. "You definitely have. Speaking of tens, I have the new hire list. Wanna creep 'em?"

"You've been sitting on that and said nothing? Give me that."

He extended a paper he'd gotten in the meeting, and they sat together at the computer like they had the past two years when Shawn would be busy, and they'd snatch up the list despite his reprimands.

"Joshua Snell, from England."

She opened up social media to look him up. A photo of a man in his twenties with dark, curly hair appeared. "Think this is him?"

"From Bath? He must be very clean."

"God, I have not missed your terrible jokes. Save those for Maria." She scrolled through a few more pictures of him travelling, at the beach, and playing soccer. "Looks promising."

"I'll cc you in a welcome e-mail. You know he'll be smart too since he's teaching math."

"Yeah, they let just about anyone have English positions now."

Mitch mock gasped and folded his arms over his chest. "What's the expression, those who can't teach, teach gym?"

She flipped him the bird. "I'd like to see you do my job without air conditioning all year. You would beg for that English position."

"The kids are lucky to have you."

Footsteps echoed behind them. "Are you two getting along for once?" Tom asked.

"What are you talking about? We used to get along great," Mitch smiled.

"When you weren't being a pompous twat," Becca added.

"Fair enough. So... how'd it go?" Mitch asked Tom.

"I'll sit down for a formal interview tomorrow, but if I want it, it sounds like it's mine."

Becca jumped up and hugged Tom. "That's amazing."

"Yeah, primary four," he said with a sigh. "I'll be working with..."

"Shawn, Shannon, Peter and the newbies," Mitch finished.

"Oh?"

"Emma took your job, I'm here, and Maria's bumping down to kindergarten."

Tom's shoulders relaxed. "Just keep the news quiet for now. I don't want to jinx it, and I want to be the person to tell Prae."

"Ooh, somebody's getting lucky tonight," Becca teased.

"That's not why I'm telling her. I won't say anything until tomorrow until it's confirmed, and I have something special planned, anyway."

"Yeah, Prae mentioned the mystery date to Maria. She's excited," Mitch said. Maria had worn that sad look that made him wish his progress in therapy was faster so they could have their relationship.

"I hope she likes it. Don't tell her, but it's La Normandie."

Mitch whistled. "She's going to lose it in the best way. That is a solid choice."

"I made reservations after our first date, but couldn't get in for weeks."

Mitch smiled. "Seems like that happened for a reason."

"It is weird to see you two so friendly," Becca said.

They both laughed as Shawn, Maria, and Emma approached.

"You're not supposed to be working here yet," Maria teased and bumped her shoulder into Mitch. "Any news about jobs, Tom?"

"Not yet, but I have a good feeling."

Shawn looked at Mitch, and he nodded to confirm he'd told Tom.

Tom grinned. "This year's not over yet. We should get the group together and go out like old times."

Becca crossed her arms and looked him up and down. "Who are you and what have you done with Tom?"

"That'd be fun," Maria said

"I vote karaoke, and we a hundred percent need to get Mitch up on stage again," Emma chuckled as she looked at Shawn.

"Watch yourself. I'm your keystage leader next year."

"Yeah, but my best friend makes most of your decisions or holds you accountable for the bad ones you make, so I'll be alright."

"Oh shade," Shawn said and high-fived Emma. "But Tom's right, we should go out. It's been a long year, a good one, but lots of change."

"I'll tell Priya and the girls," Becca said and took off.

Maria smiled up at Mitch. "She seems less angry with you. Maybe next year will be easier than you thought."

It was hard not to lean down and kiss Maria or to wrap an arm around her and pull her close. As if she sensed it, she hooked her pinkie in his and met his gaze with another heart-melting grin. He wasn't sure how she made him fall even deeper for her every day, but she always did. 

***

That's a wrap for Mitch's perspective (but he'll be popping back up in the final chapter). Hopefully, his and Becca's scene didn't feel too forced or rushed. Up next will be an upbeat Tom and Prae chapter! Thanks for reading, voting and commenting.   

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.8K 2.4K 47
When her first love falls apart, a Filipina-Canadian foodie is devastated. To salvage their relationship, Maria joins a social-media cooking contest...
511 98 20
Being a second lead character in historical based manga comic, Maria Clover is from noble and powerful family. But, she wasn't fortunate in love... B...
4.2K 1.1K 78
A mysterious past, an unrequited love, and a desperate need to find himself, fifteen-year-old Kalyn has enough to occupy him without being on the ver...
144 29 11
Mae has a life. A good one. She has a best friend, and a nice job and a nice house and a nice car. But nice has never been enough, when she once had...