The Tyrant King's Queen

By anjay_writess

"Look at me properly and try to remember." He implored her, his silvery eyes boring into hers. Maya raised he... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60/Epilogue
Bonus Chapter 1(First day of spring.)
New Book!-His Mail Order Bride

Chapter 41

12.6K 802 19
By anjay_writess

 Happy 2k votes!! I love you all!

   It was late at night but once again, Maya had trouble sleeping. After tossing and turning in her chambers for so long on her bed, she decided to check up on Dexter once again. Today had been more than draining for her, having to assume the responsibilities of being the ruler since Dexter was unable to do anything thanks to his illness. Having had a taste of what life would be like without Dexter in it, she'd grown terrified. Her fears had tripled and she began to check on him every passing minute, scared that someone would hurt him once again.

    He was asleep when she arrived at his chambers. and she move around quietly so as not to wake him. Approaching his bed, she stared at him, her eyes taking in his features, her mind somewhere else.

    He looked fine but the worry in her heart would not abate. Placing a hand on Dexter's forehead, she let out a sigh. She's probably done that five times over the past one minute.  Her apprehension was getting the best of her. Withdrawing her hands, she bit her lips, hunching her shoulders. Once again, she was drawn into her depressing thoughts once again.

    By the time she glanced back at Dexter again, he was staring back at her, a questioning look on his eyes. She flinched, startled. "You're awake." She muttered, hurriedly putting on a smile.

    "Yes." He replied but his expression didn't waver. He still had that look of concern in his eyes."Is everything alright?" He asked after a while as he managed to sit up.

    She nodded but her gaze flickered."I couldn't sleep so I came to check up on you. You seem alright so I should probably get going." She said and started to leave.

   "Wait, I didn't ask you to leave." Dexter said, stopping her in her tracks.He pursed his lips, not saying anything. After a while asked, "Did you catch the culprit?"

     "Yes, turns out it was Fleurie. She's in the dungeon right now although we're yet to get her accomplice. I arranged for her to be executed two days from now... If that's okay with you?"

  His lips twitched but didn't quite form a smile. "You do whatever you want." Maya nodded but even with the conversation she was yet to feel better. They fell into an uncomfortable silence, the air around them stilted.

   "You're not alright. If it's about me, the doctor already  said me I'll be fine. So you need not worry." Dexter stated as a matter of fact. Maya snapped up her head to look at him. He was staring at her, his gaze intense. Then it softened. "What's wrong? Do you want to talk about it?"

   Maya opened her mouth several times but snapped it shut, hesitating. "I..." She began afterwards. "Seeing you like this made me remember my time in Gegoria. "It wasn't a pretty time." She added in a whisper, looking down at her fingers.

    With an outstretched hand, Dexter beckoned on to her. She joined him on the bed, careful not to put all her weight on him. A hand caressing her hair, Maya let out a sigh.

    " How... Did you survive?" He asked, his soft voice soothing her. Maya shuddered, her eyes glazing over as memories flooded her. She let out a bitter laugh.

   " It wasn't easy, that's for sure. I already knew I wouldn't be accepted, but I wasn't expecting that much hatred. Being ignored most of my life with no one caring about me, having everybody's hateful eyes on me was overwhelming." She swallowed, burying herself into Dexter's chest. "They made it very clear that they didn't want me."

    "I'm sorry." Dexter whispered, intertwining his hands into her hair. Something in his voice soothed her, making it easier for her continue. Maya nodded. "At first it was just me and my nanny. She was the only who took care of me in that place. But even she was taken away from me."

   " You told me she was poisoned." Dexter reminded her to which she nodded.

    "Yes, it had been meant for me really." Her eyes clouded over and she was dangerously close to crying. But she took in a deep breath and continued, her voice stronger. " I actually have been poisoned a few times myself. But after my Nanny's death, I couldn't afford to be weak. I was wary of everyone and everything. I barely ate, afraid that everything I was given would be poisoned which in most cases, they were."

    "I stayed in the shadows. It didn't stop them from seeking me out though and trying to make my life miserable. They really wanted to see me break."

    " I started going around with antidotes and herbs. I'm sure I consumed more herbs than meals during that time. My father couldn't care less what they did to me and everytime I complained or fought, all the blame was pushed on me. So I stopped." She glanced up at him. "Remember that he advice you gave me? About not letting anyone see my cry and smiling back?" She asked and he nodded. "It actually worked. Every time I was mistreated, I'd smile or wear a poker face. They didn't know what I was thinking and it drove them crazy"

     "Eventually they got tired of me and tried to marry me off. But not just to anyone, to the sickest noble present I'm Gegoria. Rumor had it he was abusive and his first two wives had died as a result. It was then I knew I couldn't take it anymore. He tried to rape me when we first met." She told him and his arms tightened around her.

    "I've tried not to think about it this past few months and truthfully it's because I have you here to distract me. But these past few days, it's made me wonder how my life would have turned out if you hadn't been there to save me. If I hadn't bumped into you when I did. And seeing you almost die, it must've resurrected all those demons." Her voice began to break as tears slipped out of her eyes. " I can't bare it. I wouldn't be able to survive it. I can't bare to lose you."

     " You're not losing me. You're not. There's no way, I'm leaving you." Dexter began to say but Maya was so engrossed with herself she wasn't listening.

   "Please don't. Don't leave. I won't be able to hear it." She cried, clinging onto him.

   He hugged her, letting her cry it all out. When her sobs had been reduced to whimpering, he turned her so she was facing him. "Actually, you've been doing nothing but saving me instead" He said.

     " I-i have?" Maya asked as she cleaned off her tears. Dexter nodded, a gentle smile on his face.

    "More times than you can count." He whispered, staring into her eyes. "How did you think I'm still here?' he asked, drying her face with his sleeve.

    A shadow crossed his eyes as Maya fought to understand what he meant. "I don't understand." She let out.

    He heaved a sigh, holding her hands. "When my mother died, I had wanted to die along with her." He began, surprising her.

   Maya stared at him with widened eyes. "I heard... I heard from the maids that you watched her die. Is it true?" She asked, her voice almost inaudible. Dexter nodded, much to her fears.

    His hands tightened around her as his gaze darkened, his body tensing in remembrance. "Slit her throat right in front of me and made me watch."

    "I'm sorry." Maya breathed out. "I can't imagine how devastating it must have been. You've always been so worried about her." Maya whispered, her concern evident in her voice.

    "I had been so enveloped by pain and anger, I didn't know what I did afterwards. Till now I still don't remember. By the time I came to my senses, I had killed everyone I knew and loved. I had the blood of hundreds in my hands. Only very few people escaped that wrath. I was crowned king because people thought that it was what I wanted. It wasn't. I just wanted to save my mother. And I couldn't do that."

     "I remember feeling so lost afterwards. I had sunk into a depression so deep, nothing made sense anymore. At one point, I had seriously considered ending it all." Maya froze, shocked at the words that were coming out of Dexter's mouth.

    " But then I remembered you. And I wanted to see you..I just wanted to visit and talk, I honestly didn't have any intentions of attacking your kingdom. But when I saw you running towards me with that look in your eyes, I blacked out."

    Maya stiffened, remembering their unceremonious meeting. She'd been trying to escape from her arranged marriage. Dexter was still speaking so she gave him her full attention."If I hadn't remembered you when I did, I'd probably be dead." He said.

     "So... We saved each other's lives?" Maya asked and he nodded, caressing her face.

    "This is why I can't leave you, if I did. I would die. You don't know how happy I am to have you here with me? So stop thinking like that. You would never lose me."

    "Am I that important?" Maya asked, sniffing.

    "More than you realize." He replied without a missing. For the first time since he had fallen sick, Maya grinned. Her eyes sparkled even as tears fell from from her eyes. This time, she didn't bother to clean them off.

   Once again, Dexter stared at her, awestruck. Heart pounding in his chest, he pulled her close and kissed her. Maya dove in, reveling in the feeling of his lips on hers. Though they tasted bitter thanks to the multiple herbs, Maya could care less as she returned his kisses, all of her fears and worries disappearing with them.

      Maya rested her forehead on his, catching her breath. "Thank you for telling me this." She whispered, staring into his eyes.

    "You're welcome. Do you feel better now?"

    Maya nodded, smiling at him. "Ecstatic even."

    "Come here." He mumured, pulling her closer to him as he laid her on top him. She placed her head on his chest, letting the steady beating of his heart lull her to sleep.

A/N
It was a debate to put this scene but I'm glad of how it turned out. If there's anything I like about Maya and Dexter's relationship, it's the presence of communication.
Let me know what you think!!!
See you in the next chapter!!!🙈🙈🙈

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

969 35 23
//He had my hands pinned tightly above my head as I squirmed beneath him. The blade twisting between his fingers. He held it up to my throat. I was a...
9.9K 318 60
A family, full of deceitful maniacs... A kingdom ruled by tyranny, yet the people aren't aware... A story full of lies and deceit, woven to manipulat...
1.1M 49.9K 66
This story is complete ✅ Casey is a nerd, but the charming, cute type. He evades college parties like the plague. Who knew he would accidentally jump...
84.6K 1.4K 44
*More of a romance and less of a Mafia Novel.* ❝Everything I touch just turns to Ash❞ ❝If so than I'll gladly burn for you❞ _________________________...