Love, Dad | Joe Cruz

By LexiWrites200

Being a firefighter is a dangerous job. Everyone knows this, no more than the men and women who do the job. B... More

Cast
Prologue
Chapter 1: Three Months
Chapter 2: Candy Land
Chapter 3: The New Guy
Chapter 5: Say Yes
Chapter 6: Career Week
Chapter 7: A Bully
Chapter 8 PT1: Suspension
Chapter 8 PT2: Burning Couch
Chapter 9: A Drone Pilot
Chapter 10: Flash Back
Chapter 11: Firehouse 20
Chapter 12: Nick Porter
Chapter 13: A New Truck
Chapter 14: Gallo's Little Sister
Chapter 15: The First Letter
Chapter 16: Lily
Chapter 17: Double Digits
Chapter 18: Broken
Chapter 19: A Cruz-Allen Wedding
Chapter 20: Finale

Chapter 4: Pop The Question

1.3K 31 2
By LexiWrites200

Cruz looks at Tatiana who was eating cereal at the counter. Sylvie wasn't at the apartment cause she left before them because of errands. Cruz has been having an internal battle as he got ready this morning. He wants to marry Chloe, but with all of the changes that
have happened in Tatia's life in the last year, he doesn't want to add another thing. He decided he'd ask for her blessing he just doesn't know the right time to bring it up. Tatia was finally in a good place therapy has helped, she hasn't had a nightmare couple of nights. He's just nervous that a big change could send her back to day one.

"Hey, Tatiana I have a question." Cruz leans on the counter.

"What?" Tatia looks up at him.

"So I want to ask Chloe to marry me but I want to make sure you're fine with it. If she says yes we'll be moving and a lot could change."

"You and Chloe are like soulmates Uncle Cruz, you got to marry your soulmate!"- Tatia grins, "But I got to be like the flower girl or something!"

"Deal." Joe smiles. "Okay go get your shoes on before we're late."

"Fine. Hey Uncle Joe?" She stands up as he takes her bowl.

"Yes?"

"Do you think dad would've married Lily if he was still here?" Tatia asks as she slips her shoes on.

"Well, probably your dad did really love her."

"I like her too," Tatia says as Joe hands her her bag.

"Hey, why don't I call her and ask if she can pick you up from school?" Cruz suggests as they walk out of their apartment.

---At The firehouse---

Mouch goes to walk into the common room before noticing Cruz pacing back and forth near the counter. Mouch leans on the wall watching for a moment before noticing Brett walking toward the common room.

"Brett." He says gaining her attention

"What?"

"You gotta see this." Mouch motions in the common room. "What's up with him?" Mouch asks as they both look there.

"He's been like this for a week," Sylvie says as Mouch starts walking in.

"What's going on, Cruz?" He says as he makes his way to him.

"What? Nothing." He says while both Mouch and Sylvie give him knowing looks. "Okay, look, but... this does not leave the room." He says looking around before they nod their agreement.

"I'm gonna ask Chloe to marry me." He smiles

"Really? Oh, that's so great!" She hugs him a grin spreading across her face.

"Congratulations." Mouch smiles giving him a side hug.

"Yeah, you know, I just figured, I'm not getting any younger. Life is too short. She's amazing. Tatia loves her."

"When are you gonna pop the question?" Brett asks

"Tomorrow night, after shift. I got big plans. I just need to get Leon to babysit. " He says turning to look at much too a smile spread across his face.

"Oh, I cannot wait to hear all about it! You're so right for each other, Joe." Brett grins

"Thank you, guys, I really appreciate it." Cruz puts his hand on their shoulders before walking away.

---Later---

Tatiana walks out of her school looking around for any of the three cars that would pick her up. Lily's car sat waiting for her. She hurries to the car.

"Hey, Lily!" She climbs into the back of the car.

"Hey Tots. So things are crazy at the firehouse so you and I get to have a sleepover." Lily smiles. With the flesh-eating bacteria thing and the firefighters being exposed Cruz didn't want Tatia to be exposed to it. He figured it would be best for her to stay with Lily.

"Okay, but can we stop by the firehouse? I want to see Uncle Cruz." Tati says buckling her seat belt.

"Well how about we call him first," Lily suggests handing Tatiana her unlocked phone.

"Okay!" Tatia says before she finds Joe's contact. She clicks on it and listens to it ring. She clicks the speaker just as Cruz answers.

"Hey, Lily."

"Hey Uncle Cruz can me and Lily still stop by the firehouse I want to see you. I heard bout that zombie thing." Tatia says looking out the window.

"Tatiana. There are no zombies."

"Everyone at school said it made people look like zombies though." She says.

"Okay. Tatia I don't want you getting exposed to it so I think it's best if you go straight to Lily's place and then maybe we face time. Okay, I'll show you I'm okay." Cruz tries reasoning.

"Okay fine." She says as she hears the tone go off in the background.

"Okay Kiddo I got to go I will call you as soon as I get back from the call," Cruz says.

"Okay, Uncle Joe." The phone disconnected and she tucked it into the cup holder.

"How about we go get some Mcdonalds or something before we get to my apartment huh?"

"Okay!"

---That Night---

The night was going well so far. After the call, Cruz face timed lily and Tatiana. They stayed on the phone for another hour or two. After the call, Lily set up her couch for Tatia, and then they watched a movie. Tatia was less stressed about the flesh-eating disease or so it seems. It was about three am, the apartment was silent. Both of them were asleep. Tatiana stirs in her sleep tears falling from her eyes. She shuffles on the couch soft whimpers falling through the silence. Her nightmare getting progressively worse.

Tatia walks into the firehouse it was a normal day. She just got off school. She just got a new game for her switch she wanted to play it with Capp. The firehouse was silent as she walked through the halls.

"Uncle Cruz? Capp! Mouch! Chief? Anyone here?" She shouts. She walks into the bunk room. Cruz laid on one of the beds facing away from her. She walks over touching his shoulder. He rolls over revealing how the skin of his face was healing off. A scream leaves her throat as she runs out of the bunk room running into Mouch. "Mouch! Uncle-" She screams again noticing skin healing off of his arms and face.

She jumps awake curling into her knees as she cries. It takes a few minutes before Lily comes running out. She crouches beside the couch.

"Tatia? It's lily." Tatia jumps when Lily puts a hand on her shoulder.

"I want Uncle Joe!" She cries out rolling over.

"Okay, I'll call him," Lily says keeping her voice soft as she pulls out her phone.

"No, I want to see him!"She says between sobs.

"Okay, I'll face time him," Lily suggests.

"No in person!" Tati cries out.

"You can't right now. He'll be here first thing in the morning though."

"I need to see him now though." Her sobs get harder.

"Okay, I'll call and see if we can go up to the firehouse?" Tatia nods still sobbing as she sits up and brings her knees to her chest. "Hey uh Joe I'm sorry to wake you up but Tatiana had a nightmare and I can't console her she just wants to see you. Can I bring her by the firehouse?"

"uhm I- Yeah go ahead I'll be waiting for you guys," Cruz says.

"Thank you joe." the phone disconnects. "Hey let's get our shoes on and I'll grab your stuff."

"Mhm." Tatiana wipes her tears and stands up soft sobs escaping every few seconds as she slips her shoes on. She follows Lily to her car and climbs in the back seat. Her sobs were lighter now than before but tears still streamed down her face.

"Do you wanna talk about the nightmare?" Lily asks looking at her in the mirror view window.

"No."

"Okay."

The car pulls up to the firehouse a few minutes later. Lily parks on the street and follows as Tatiana runs into the firehouse frantically. She collides with her uncle.

"Woah Mija." Cruz gasps as he hugs the girl. "I got you." Lily stands back unsure of what to do.

"You were dead." Tatia whimpers out the words barely audible.

"Hey Tati look at me." The little girl looks up at him wide-eyed. "I'm not going anywhere, Chiquita. You're not getting rid of me anytime soon."

"bu-but. Your skin was peeling off your face." She begins sobbing into his shirt. "And Mouch's skin was peeling off on his arms and his face."

"Hey." He kneels to be eye leave with her. "Feel my face." She reaches up cautiously touching his face. "See I'm okay. And Mouch is sleeping in the bunk room we'll go see him in a second but why don't you stay the rest of the night here?"

"Please."

"Okay. Lily, I got her, thank you." Cruz looks up at Lily.

"Yeah of course. I will see you guys later." lily smiles before leaving the firehouse.

"Let's get you some water or something," Cruz suggests standing up.

"Mhm. Then go see Mouch?"

"Then we'll go see Mouch." He puts an arm around her shoulders and pulls her into his side. They make it into the common room and she sits on the couch. While Cruz gets her a water bottle. "Is there anything else in the nightmare you want to talk about?"

"No. Can I see Mouch now?"

"Yeah, but you got to be quiet and not wake up the others," Cruz says as they begin walking to the bunk room.

"I'm always quiet." She says as they walk into the bunk room. Cruz leads the way shaking his head as they make it to mouch's bunk.

"See he's got all his skin," Cruz whispers

"Cruz what are you doing." Mouch shuffles awake and looks up at them. "Oh hey Tots when did you get here"

"She had a nightmare with you in it. She just wanted to make sure you were okay." Cruz explains while Mouch sits up.

"You had the zombie disease thingy and your skin was peeling off. You had no face." Tatia whispers looking at the ground.

"Don't worry I'm okay," Mouch whispers before Tatia hugs him. He and Cruz make eye contact as he wraps her arms around her.

"Don't die. Please." Tatiana mumbles into his shirt.

"Kid I'm so close to retirement Nothing taking me out before that I can promise you that Tatia."

"Okay." She whispers with a yawn.

"Now let's get in bed. It's almost 3." Cruz says grabbing her shoulders when she stands up.

"Uh-huh." She mumbles yawning again. She follows Joe to an empty bunk and he tucks her in. He looks over at Mouch who waves him out of the bunk room.

"I'll be back in a second." Cruz says as Tatiana rolls over. He walks into the hall where Mouch is waiting.

"Do you need someone to watch her tomorrow when you're on your date with Chloe?"

"Yeah I was just gonna ask Leon but if you and Trudy don't mind that would be great."

"No, I'll watch her. She seemed pretty shaken from that nightmare. So maybe some time with me will help her." Mouch says shrugging.

"That is actually a great idea. Thanks, Mouch. You sure Trudy will be okay with it?"

"Yeah, it's poker night. I'd be spending the night at Molly's anyway." Mouch shrugs with a yawn. "Now I'm going to bed I'll pick Tatia up from school." He goes back into the bunk room. Cruz follows his lead and goes back to bed.

---That morning---

"Okay, Tots tonight I have a date with Chloe so Mouch offered to babysit you. So he'll pick you up from school." Cruz says as they walk down the apron.

"Okay. Is tonight the night you propose?" She whispers looking up at him and grinning.

"Yes, it is." He smiles down at her. "And don't worry I'll be back home for bedtime."

"Mouch is fun so I don't care," Tatiana says before seeing Chloe at the end of the apron. "Chloe!" She grins running down the apron.

"Hey Tots." Chloe leans down to hug the young girl.

"Chloe. Hey, I didn't know you were coming by." He says as he makes it to her car.

"Uncle Cruz can I go to the car," Tatiana says.

"Yeah, it's unlocked be careful crossing the street." Cruz smiles at her before she runs across the street.

"I got your email," Chloe says bringing Joe's attention back to her.

"Oh, yeah? Great, right? Mouch even offered to babysit so I'm childfree." He grins proudly.

"Why'd you make a reservation at the most expensive restaurant in Chicago?" She chuckles nervously.

"I, um, I just thought that you deserved
a special occasion. A night out, you know?" He tells her keeping the proud smile.

"I'm having second thoughts." She says regretfully.

"About dinner?"

"About us." She clarifies.

"Uh, I-I don't unders..." He stammers out.

"It's just... I've thought about it a lot, and it's just... we rushed into this. Into everything. I-I just think we need to take some time and think about it." She tells him.

"Oh." He clears his throat looking down. "This makes no sense."

"I'm really... I'm really sorry, Joe." She states backing toward her car tears spilling from her eyes.

"Chloe? Chloe, just... just give me five minutes, okay? We can talk about this." He goes around the car begging

"I'm sorry." She says before driving away.

"Uncle Cruz? What's wrong?"

"Uh, nothing Tati uhm let's get you to school."

"Okay."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 3.3K 50
Nicole Severide grew up with her older brother Kelly as one of the only people she could trust. Then she started work as a paramedic on Ambulance 61...
38.6K 857 21
Ever since Jasmine Medina was a child, she looked up to her father. Alejandro Medina was a firefighter at Firehouse 51. After graduating from the Fir...
70.5K 3.2K 68
[ COMPLETE ] Riley Wolf is the newest member of Truck 81. After a rocky start at the firehouse she finally starts to feel like part of the family. T...
6.7K 405 14
[ COMPLETE ] After a drunken one night stand with a woman he met at his brothers anniversary party, Otis makes it his mission to track down the myste...