Water Under the Bridge || Eva...

By aprilmoonlight16

In which, Josephine attempts to overcome the losses amid saving lives in the city. [911 SEASON 3-4] More

water under the bridge
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty one
chapter twenty two
chapter twenty three
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty five
chapter twenty six
chapter twenty seven

chapter eleven

1.6K 73 10
By aprilmoonlight16

a memory is a treasure

Hearts gutted for the sobbing older woman clutching onto her husband over the tragic death of their son. The husband glanced up at the dispatch caller offering their sympathy for their loss. He could only spare a silent nod of gratitude before refocusing on his wife and depart from the call center.

Watching a scene unfold like that merely resorted the dispatch caller to resign from their station for a breather in the breakroom. There are days where working on this floor could weigh on your shoulders. Answering urgent calls from civilians to use your sixth senses with the hope to save their life. Sometimes situations that are out of your hands can make you feel you're restricted.

These were one of the days.

Inside the breakroom, there stood a colleague pouring a cup of coffee to power through the late shift.

"Can't imagine what they must be feeling. So sad." Linda pressed her lips after witnessing the heart aching scene on the floor. She already grabbed a cup for Josh who retrieved milk from the refrigerator.

Josh let out a deep sigh, sliding onto the stool at the counter. "Hearing your own child's last words knowing they won't make it... it's tough to process. No parent wants to outlive their child. And the irony of this is this is déjà vu when a victim left a message for his pregnant wife."

"The airplane accident in the ocean about 2 years ago?"

He hummed in response, "Yeah, I didn't answer it though. But I remembered seeing her walk in. Being on the other end can be—"

"An overwhelming?" Linda finished.

"Exactly, but there's a sense of closure where people feel less lonely." Josh added, his eyes lowered to his coffee. "The sad thing about this is that the guy left another message for someone else."

A teenage boy ran up the hilltop to feel sudden relief once spotting the teenage girl sitting alone underneath the large tree. The sound of his quick steps was heard by the girl who didn't bother to budge. She rested her chin upon her knees and continued to relish in the view that tend to bring her peace. The boy took his victory steps until he doubled over and planted his hands on knees.

"This place is like a freaking maze!" He panted out.

"It's not a maze. You just have no sense of direction." She retorted. "At least you made it unless you were already lost that led you here."

He scoffed, feeling offended. "So, what if that happened." He sat down beside the brunette who refused to look at him.

His eyes flickered to the view in front of them. It would be moments like this where he would let them sit in silence. All she needed was his presence.

"Did my abuelo and abuela send you?" She bit the inside of her cheek.

"They did."

"And my mom?"

He exhaled a deep sigh, "She knows what happened but is still stuck at work."

"Of course," She let out a humorless laugh. "What does everyone at school think of me after today? Am I a monster for punching their Queen Bee?" She snarled out.

"Mmm...to her followers maybe. But everyone else is pretty content that Madison finally got what she deserved." 

She hummed in amusement, "If only Principal Washington understood like everyone else to not suspend me."

"You did throw a punch, Josie."

"I know, Bryan. The second she mentioned my dad...I couldn't help myself."

"Yeah, she was fucked up for that." He agreed as her father was a sensitive topic. For Madison to weaponized him as an insult was cruel. "Which is why everyone else thought it was valid of your action. A lot of the guys thought it was hot of you." Josephine rolled her eyes at the remark as Bryan chuckled. "You know, Jessica and Ethan confronted Madison after you were sent home."

Josephine tilted her head, "Wow, a punch shook Jessica out of Madison's brainwashing."

"She feels bad and is hoping to talk to you soon."

"I guess." Her eyes fell to the ground. "Did Ethan say anything to you?" She thought of the boy that she's grown a small crush on since forming this odd yet comforting bond.

Bryan enveloped a tiny grin, "Yeah, but he was wondering if he could say it to your face rather than passing on a message."

Josephine knitted her brows in confusion then whipped her head after another pair of footsteps approached them. Her head perked at teenage boy dressed in his letterman shyly striding up.

"Ethan."

"Hey, Josie." He sent a friendly grin. "I wanted to check in on you...if that's fine with you."

Bryan interjected, "I can let your abuelo and abuela know." Josephine shared a grateful expression to her best friend as he saluted to the new pair. He began to descend the hilltop but not without peeking over his shoulder. His mouth formed a sad smile although has learned that he couldn't keep Josephine to himself.

He had hoped that one day he could be in Ethan's place.

A locker door slamming shut startled Josephine out of her daze. She blinked to find herself on the bench amid tying one of her shoes in the locker room. Colleagues began filing out while exchanging goodbyes until next shift. She redirected back to her shoe to get herself out of the firehouse as the last several hours driven her into complete exhaustion.

She moved quickly to snatch her bag and storm out of the locker room without bothering to bid a goodbye to which didn't go unnoticed by the team. Nor did she try to save face when she figured they've noticed her quiet behavior. But they believed their rough shift might've taken a toll which happens so often. 

"Josie! Wait up!"

Her hand gripped tightly on the strap of her bag. She groaned internally before hearing the hefty footsteps reach beside her.

"What's up?" She raised her brow at Buck.

Buck hesitated for a second, "Are you okay?"

"I'm good." She nodded shortly. "Just exhausted. This shift got me beat, that's all."

"O-Okay." He replied yet in a questionable tone.

"Okay, I'll see you next shift." 

Josephine dismissed their conversation then stalked off without letting Buck respond. She threw her bag inside the car the second she arrived. She sat in the driver's seat as a cool exhale slipped past her lips. Her eyes casted down to the bag where she rummaged through within the next second. She pulled out a watch and stared at it while her thumb grazed upon it. 

The elevator doors dinged open to the busy dispatch call center. She stuffed her hands into her pockets and stepped outside to meet a male dispatcher who seemed to be the one waiting for her once security had let her up.

"You must be Josephine. My name is Josh. I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thank you." She pressed her lips together. "So, you said one the phone Bryan left a message?"

Josh nodded slowly, "He did. For his parents and you." He took the initiative to guide Josephine towards the floor.  

It seemed like her presence was known when she felt the dispatchers' eyes of pity burned on her. Josh had mentioned that Bryan's parents came in last night. She could only imagine how torn they must have been, specifically Grace. Time would only tell when the news reaches to her family and everyone else.

Josh pulled out a chair for her when they approached to his station. There was a churning feeling in the pit of her stomach as she settled down. He took the seat next to her and handed a headset. 

And when they locked eyes, Josephine gave him the nod to play it.

"I can't believe your dad is having this torn down." Josephine climbed into Bryan's childhood tree house they used to occupy as children. She rose up on the sturdy wooden floor and absorbed the rush of nostalgia all around.

Bryan stood along with following her gaze, "Obviously, my parents decided to stop after one kid. Don't think any college student roams around in their old tree house."

"There's so many memories in here...feels like an end of an era." Her fingers ran upon the old drawings hang on the walls.

He stifled a chuckle, flickering to his Superman cape. "All good things come to an end."

A gasp left Josephine's lips once her eyes darted at a small tin box. "Oh God, this is from middle school." She rushed to pick up the box that had collected dust for the last several years.

Bryan joined his girlfriend from behind. "Ah, let's see what our younger selves anticipated." He stole the box from her grasp. The couple were now seated on the floor across from each other. Josephine reached for the papers written by their young selves indulging their wishful futures.

"Who do you see yourself marrying in the future?"

Josephine held in a giggle since she figured what they answer would be back then.

Adam Brody from The O.C.

She flipped Bryan's page to see his answer.

My best friend Josie (if she doesn't marry the Seth Cohen guy)

Her lips parted in shock though curled in amusement considering they're dating now. When she looked up to make a teasing comment.

He presented a velvet box, a promise ring.

"Are you only giving this to me so, Adam Brody doesn't try to sweep me off my feet?" Josephine teased, slipping the promise ring on her finger.

The corners of his mouth tugged into a smug grin. "Absolutely. If anything, my answer still remains the same. I want to spend the rest of my life with my best friend when the time comes."

"Fortunately for you, my answer might have a slight change. You're the person I'd want to spend the rest of my life with." She gushed, her index finger guiding his face to seal with a sweet kiss as they sat in their childhood treehouse.

Darkness hovered Josephine's bedroom. No speck of sunlight snuck through the curtains. Josephine wasn't sleeping nor has she gotten any actual sleep really. She laid under the covers in silence listening to her own breathing. The only time she got out of bed was for the bathroom or please Alexis to come down and eat with her. She felt the need to shut down. Block the world around her.

The door burst open to Josephine's dismay. She thought Alexis had gone to shift at the hospital. So, she wasn't expecting for her to drag her out of bed. Although, she soon came to a realization it wasn't her best friend by the sound of heels clicking against the floor.

Curtains were pushed to unveil sunny Los Angeles which almost blinded Josephine who groaned and pulled the covers to her face.

"Come on, get up mija. I'll be in the kitchen making us breakfast." Isabel greeted in a firm tone and left the room swiftly. 

Smell of pancakes flown out of the kitchen as Josephine descended the staircase. She tucked in her arms into her body when she arrived at the room. Seeing Isabel in the kitchen felt like a dream since she couldn't recall the last time, she cooked breakfast

Isabel spun around, eliciting an elated smile. "Good, I don't have to drag you out of bed. Have a seat on the stool. The pancakes are nearly done." She gestured to the counter. "I brewed us some coffee as well."

"Thank you." Josephine replied in a low tone. She accepted the cup and brought it to her lips for a sip. "How did you even manage to get in here?"

Her mother tilted her head with a look that made Josephine think was a stupid question to ask. "Your Nana owns this property, a company that I work in. It's fairly easy to gain access to my daughter's place."

"Of course..." Josephine breathed out. "Did Alexis call you to babysit me?"

"Nope." Isabel quipped. She shut off the stove after transferring the pancakes onto a plate. "I came on my own because I know my daughter needs me." She served her a plate. "Your favorite blueberry pancakes with a few bits of chocolate chip."

Josephine stared down at the plate that represented her childhood. The happiness until it became distorted.

"You haven't made these since dad died."

Isabel inhaled sharply, "Between me and your father, his were better than mine." She briefly glanced at her cup until locking her gaze onto her youngest. "Grace asked if you got her message about the funeral..."

"I did..." She combed her fingers into her hair. "She wants me to speak at the service. I don't know if I can."

"Why? Regardless of your relationship, Bryan was your best friend."

Josephine's lip quivered when she erupted. "Because it'll become real that he's gone! He's never coming back. Just like dad." She cried out uncontrollably. The tightness in her chest unleashed after harnessing all the emotions in registering Bryan's death in the last couple days. 

Isabel rushed to her daughter's side embracing her. Tears of her own welled up as she imagined being in her shoes before. "It hurts, I know."

"Even when I found his watch then saw his body on that site. It didn't hit me. Neither the message he left me." Josephine omitted to her mother, shuddering. "I can't believe he left me one. I kind of hate him for that."

"Part of you doesn't want to believe it especially when it's someone you love. And you hate him because that was his goodbye. When you think about it, not a lot of people have the privilege to receive a goodbye." Isabel paused, smoothing small circles on her daughter's back. "I know I wasn't best mother after your father passed. It hurt me so much. But I am here for you now. You don't have to go through this alone."

Josephine sauntered to the door when knocks pounded. The door revealed Buck standing outside sparing a warm grin with a bag of takeout and pack of beer in his hands. Josephine folded her arms over her chest and contorted a pointed look.

"Alexis sent you?"

He cringed, letting out a nervous chuckle." Maybe...she wanted to make sure you had dinner."

"She does know that I'm very much equipped taking care of myself." Josephine widened the door for Buck to further inside.

"Well, she's aware of that. Then again, she cares about you. Like her, me, and everyone else wants to reassure you that you have our support."

Buck followed Josephine into the kitchen where he placed the takeout bag and pack of beer. "I've noticed. From Bobby's baked gods and Christopher's cards. I appreciate it all." She brought out the plates from her cabinet and laid them on the counter. She looked up at Buck. "Thank you for coming to the funeral. You guys didn't have to."

His face softened, "Our firehouse is a family. We wanted to be there for you."

They were lounging on the couch having dinner as Buck entailed Josephine on what she's missed out at the firehouse in the last two weeks.

He returned to the room with two beers after taking their now empty plates to the kitchen. He stopped his tracks when his eyes set on a box.

"Are these Bryan's things."

Josephine gnawed her bottom lip. "Yeah, Lucas brought it over earlier. Grace thought one of us should have it. And Lucas thought I should between the two of us for some reason." She took the beer from Buck as he joined her back on the couch.

"It's no question that you shouldn't. Keeping the memory of someone you loved isn't a bad thing. It's more of a treasure. Sad yet magical to hold on."

"When did you sound so wise?"

"I'll take that even if it sounds offensive." He laughed it off. "I mean it, you should keep it."

"Alright, Yoda." Josephine smirked at him, taking a swig of her beer.

The engine to the car turned off once parked in the lot at the firehouse. Josephine sat in her seat in silence as she released the tight grip on the steering wheel. She deeply breathed out and relaxed the sudden tension in her shoulders. She didn't understand the nerves that settled in her body. Yes, it's her first day back since taking furlough. Maybe, it's the fact her last shift was when she discovered Bryan on that call.

Sure, the imagery of his body and that scene haunted her at night. Her nights haven't been entirely smooth and restful. But she knew healing will take time, she's been through hell and back. That wasn't going to stop her to continue to live her life.

Josephine closed her locker door after changing into her uniform. She planted her shoe on the bench then the other to finish tying.

She exited out of the locker room to be met with cheery faces of the 118. Her family. She found herself smiling and a little teary eyed when they hollered and attacked her with a group hug. 

"This next message is for Josie...I don't think I have a lot of time left. I-I want her to know that she will always be loved by me even if I won't be here for the rest of our lives. And this lifetime we've shared is something I'll treasure forever. I'm grateful to still be deserving to be part of her life. Tell her I'm sorry I broke our pact. But when the day comes, I'm certain she'll be a wonderful mother in the future. Someone will be lucky to share that experience and be loved by her. 

With that said, I'll be watching while taking that long vacation she's pushed me to go."

-Quite heartbreaking to kill off Bryan. Let alone put Josie through it. No worries, she'll be in a happier place eventually. I doubt anyone expected Bryan's death at this point. However, I've come across comments in the first book in the very first few chapters that you guys presumed he would die...I found it quite funny and curious why?? Anyways, not to sound desperate but comments are encouraged. It helps to feel motivated that anyone is enjoying this book rather than pushing myself to get a chapter on my own. Hope you like it! Tell me what you think! Don't forget to vote and comment! Stay tuned!-

WRITTEN: 12/27/22

PUBLISHED: 12/28/22

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.8K 2K 36
Alexandria Rivers has been fighting to survive her entire life. Joining the 118 was her first moment of peace, and eventually two guys show her how t...
16K 508 12
𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 π˜ͺ𝘧 𝘸𝘦'𝘳𝘦 𝘣𝘳𝘦𝘒𝘬π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨 π˜₯𝘰𝘸𝘯 ...𝗂𝗇 𝗐𝗁𝗂𝖼𝗁 π–»π–Ύπ—Œπ— 𝖿𝗋𝗂𝖾𝗇𝖽 π—ˆπ–Ώ 𝖀𝖽𝖽𝗂𝖾 𝖣𝗂𝖺𝗓 𝗍𝗋𝗂𝖾𝖽 π—π—ˆ π—‹π–Ύπ–»π—Žπ—‚π—…π–½...
17.2K 707 16
Kayla O'Malley grew up in a family full of lifesavers. Her mom is the Chief of Police, and her dad is Fire Chief. She joined the Pinehaven Fire Depar...
546K 10.9K 63
In which a firefighter falls in love with her best friend. Or In which Evan Buckley finds the meaning of true love Cover by and graphics by Lamnt...