๐ƒ๐˜๐’๐๐‡๐Ž๐‘๐ˆ๐€, lo'ak

By killphobic

(๐Ÿš) ๐’๐˜๐๐Ž๐๐’๐ˆ๐’, A deaf girl catches the attention of a certain forest boy whose temper can get quite... More

1. ALIEN
3. SONDER
4. ALLURE

2. REMINISCE

8.9K 437 77
By killphobic

𝐃𝐘𝐒𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐀ᵗʷᵒ

     LO'AK WOKE UP IN a grimace from the yanking force of his arm──someone attempting to wake him up. He grunted in response, stirring awake yet wanting to resist opening his eyes. He lifted his slender fingers to rub them, and his sight was invited by the face of Tuk once his eyelids were prised open.

     "Lo'ak, come on! Wake up, we have diving lessons today," the small girl had eyes of desperation with a look of excitement plastered on her face. He already suspected it was his little sister who awoke him, and he restrained a groan of annoyance from escaping his throat by the disturbance of his slumber.

     From the corner of their woven cavern, Kiri was planted in the same spot since yesterday, evidently becoming displeased with everything going on. Kiri loathed being here and she reminisced about being home again. By the eyes of villagers, she knew her family would be treated as a nuisance. Kiri opposed the thought of leaving the tent for their diving lesson, but she relented at the pleas of Tuk wanting her to come too.

     Here the young teens stood on the polished woven platform beneath their feet. Catching a glimpse of the serene sky with their eyes scanning to see the sun projecting upon the sea. Divers and Ilu were present, and Tuk was practically jumping in excitement. 

     "Let us begin."

     The Metkayina siblings gradually fell off the platform and dived into the water with grace, while the Sully family began diving into the surface with no hesitation. The substance of the water splashed, and bubbles appeared once their bodies had sunk into the water. Their braids drifted around their shoulders as they all seemed fascinated by the sea creatures surrounding them. Especially Kiri, who delicately touched the creatures around her in awe.

     A'kaia and her siblings began to guide their way through the water. She swayed her hips to move forward and turned around to face the Sully family above them with a gentle smile. She raised her hands close to her chest. 'Follow us,' she signed to them.

     The Sully siblings didn't understand, and they had an expression of confusion morphing on their faces. Tsireya motioned them to follow, to which they understood. Lo'ak had his arms swaying around his figure to float and pointed at the Metkayina kids, gesturing to his siblings they should go deeper into the water. They followed and swam deeper to reach the others.

      However, they felt their chest beginning to pulse from the excruciating pressure of the water. Their desire to breathe was strong, and they reached the surface as their braids drifted around their shoulders. They finally made it to the top, drawing in deep breaths.

     A'kaia and her sister remained patient with the family knowing they had no experience with the sea and just started learning. She wish she could say the same with her brother who turned to Roxto, signing to him in question.

     'What's wrong with them?' Ao'nung had his face cast in judgment for the beginners. A'kaia's gaze softened when she shifted to see the Sully kids above them.

     They were only learning, this was anticipated because their body structure and abilities limited them──their bodies weren't meant to be in the sea. They adapted to the forest their whole life, and A'kaia couldn't even imagine the ache they must've felt to abandon their home for the sake of their safety. She knows they miss their home, they were raised there after all. If she had no choice but to leave her home behind, and go somewhere where her abilities limited her, she believed she'd suffer.

     Roxto shared the same thoughts as Ao'nung did, and signed back to him. 'They can't stay underwater,' Rotxo expressed to him momentarily, and Tsireya stopped them from continuing their criticism any further.

     'Stop, they're learning.' She had an expression of sympathy and Ao'nung only leaned his body back in exasperation, restraining a sigh that was close to escaping his lips.

     A'kaia contemplated for a moment before she began swerving her way to the top with grace. At this, her siblings traced behind her in suit. They rose to the surface and their presence made the Sully siblings turn to them.

     "You guys are too fast for us. Slow down," Tuk released an exhale in frustration, her face contorted into fatigue. Tsireya tried to ease Tuk by telling her to breathe calmly, and A'kaia only offered her a comforting smile.

     Then Ao'nung emerged from the water. "You are not good divers," he innocently steered his head while saying something inconsiderate. "Maybe good at swimming through trees but-"

     Before her brother could finish, Tsireya interrupted him by hitting the back of his head, lightly scolding him to be more careful about what he says. Ao'nung almost sneered but he only scoffed and kept quiet.

     "Come on, bro." Lo'ak was starting to feel exasperation from constantly hearing these remarks, and Neteyam felt the same way as his facial features portrayed that.

     "We don't speak this finger talk," Neteyam spoke while trying to mimic their finger movements. "We don't know what you're saying," he finished with honesty, his accent lacing his voice.

     "We'll teach you," Tsireya appeared next to A'kaia, looking over at her in confirmation while smiling. However, A'kaia looked at her in confusion when she read her lips by what she told them. The girl wondered how she was supposed to teach them when she chose not to speak often, and she couldn't hear. Nonetheless, A'kaia wanted to do whatever she could to help out this family, even if her teaching wasn't the best.

     One person took notice of Kiri's disappearance and looked at everyone. "Hey, where's Kiri?" Roxto inquired while turning his head; including the others who soon turned to look at their surroundings only to find their sister nowhere to be seen.

     A'kaia guessed she was still in the water, curious as to where she strayed away to. However, worry began growing in the Sully family's chest. The sea is monumental, and questions roamed their thoughts. What if she ran out of oxygen and sunk? Did she perhaps drown?

     They ended their first lesson early to find their sister. A'kaia knew the missing girl must've wandered off somewhere. She noticed Kiri looking overwhelmed all morning. Maybe it started registering to her that her family wouldn't return home anytime soon──that she really had to adapt to the sea to live here.

     Being able to decipher others' emotions, and reading body language is what A'kaia benefitted from her disability. It taught her to be more observant and understanding.

     It was already the afternoon and A'kaia left to practice and train with her mentor, meanwhile, her siblings stayed behind to search for Kiri.

     The training was a constant routine for A'kaia, holding a strong desire to excel in her skills. In the Metkayina clan, there were plenty of female warriors her age, but they didn't have experience on the battlefield yet. A'kaia remembered the first time she raised her spear against someone. She remembered her first bloodshed and the feeling of sheer delight whenever an enemy was taken down.

     A'kaia was acknowledged by the older generation for her abilities and talent, however, kids her age often strayed away from her──not wanting to associate themselves with her because they were either frightened or found her unusual. If they did approach her, it was merely to mock her or give her sneaky remarks in a friendly manner. She wasn't distraught by it, not at all, if anything she found it almost amusing.

     She thanks Eywa every day that she can’t hear. She didn't have to hear the pestering voices of them talking about her, or how their voice may have sounded. Thus, making it easier for her to get over their ignorance toward her.

     Whenever A'kaia wasn't training, she would often wander off on her own, needing time to relieve herself and think, isolating herself from others──or finding small tasks to do, like chores, or taking care of her Ilu.

     Once A'kaia reached close to the hidden taverns nearby to reach the reef, she caught a glimpse of a familiar girl. There, sat Kiri. She was sitting alone with her knees brought to her chest, her figure relaxed onto the mineral surface──basking in the easing sensation of the serene sea that lay in front of them. A'kaia guessed right, Kiri wanted to be alone.

     They were still searching for her yet A'kaia managed to find her with no effort at all.

     A'kaia knew she had to make it to her lessons soon, however, the sudden urge in her chest to approach Kiri was growing. She considered for a moment before she began approaching her.

     She knelt down beside her, to which the girl raised her head when she caught sight of A'kaia. Kiri brought her knees to her chest once again and rested her chin on her forearms which were settled on her knees.

     "Don't tell them where I am. I just need space to think," Kiri finished with a sigh whilst A'kaia read her lips at what she said.

     A'kaia understood and nodded, Kiri shifted her head forward once more, and propped her chin onto her knees.

     Kiri felt homesick, and the desire to just run back home despite the danger depicting her life was strong. That was all she could think of before she fully rested her head down on her forearms, hiding her face and her eyes tracing down at the silvery-mineral surface beneath her. A soft groan escaped her throat, feeling frustrated by her own thoughts. She should be happy that for now, she was safe with her family, but she wasn't. She just missed home so much.

     A'kaia swept a loose curl behind her pointed ear whilst nibbling on her lip, almost drawing blood from how much she's done it. She was pondering over something, her eyebrows furrowed slightly in thought.

     After a beat of silence, she spoke. Her voice was almost inaudible yet soft and clear. Her heart rate started to quicken when she opened her mouth.

     "Well, they're worried," A'kaia turned to her, "return home as soon as you can. They're looking for you." She spoke with her lips trembling ever so slightly, feeling a sense of doubt in her words. Kiri slowly raised her head, momentarily surprised at how this girl spoke for once. This was the first time she's ever heard A'kaia speak throughout the entire time they'd been here. However, she brushed it off immediately and turned back at her with a nod.

     A'kaia returned a gentle smile and raised herself up with a small wave to Kiri, gesturing her goodbye. She began walking away, her feet pressing against the sand beneath her, leaving a trail of footsteps.

     Once A'kaia reached about a kilometer away from the girl, a boy behind her noticed her presence. He remembered she left sooner without an explanation to the family. But he was still making efforts to find his sister even though the outcome was becoming fruitless.

     The forest boy quickened his pace to catch up to A'kaia, walking along the sand beneath his feet. "Hey, do you know where Kiri is?" He called out from afar.

     She didn't turn around.

     "Did you by chance hear me?" His accent threaded his voice──and once he finally caught up behind her, he reached his arm to place a hand on her shoulder. His touch immediately caused her to flinch, and cease her walking. He pulled his hand away in response, and she turned around in surprise with her eyebrows furrowed as if she didn't know he was behind her.

     "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you," an accent coated his voice. "But I need to know where my sister is. Have you seen her?"

     A'kaia didn't know how to respond. Kiri told her not to tell them where she was. The girl contemplated for a moment, and after a beat of silence, she shook her head at Neteyam with softened eyes and began walking away. As she did, she could still feel his gaze on her back.

     Neteyam sighed and felt a sense of dread crawl up his back from the anticipated scolding coming from his father. They had to find her, otherwise, he'd have to face the consequences of not looking after her. After all, he somehow always took the blame for something he didn't do.

     "Neteyam!" The said boy turned around only to find Tuk holding Kiri's hand with a toothy grin. "We found her," she called out with a smile radiating on her face as she raised her head beside her to see her older sister.

     Neteyam couldn't help but let a relieved smile spread on his face. His sister looked back at him with a tired smile in return.

   By the time evening arrived, the Sully family made sure to gather for a family meeting once more. Everyone was seated inside their woven tent. However, Jake and Neytiri instantly took notice of their son's disappearance. "Where's your brother?" Jake looked at his oldest son, Neteyam, who only shook his head in frustration.

     Lo'ak sat down on the polished surface of the platform, touching the clear water with the tips of his feet──his toes appearing glossy. He gazed down at his reflection upon the calm sea. The sun was setting and the magnificent ripples of marigold colors mirrored the water. From a distance, he could see other warriors training from the other side of the reef. His eyes traced to see them and could discern a familiar person he remembered. His loose braids slightly swayed in the direction where his head turned to.

    It was A'kaia. Fighting, and despite the distance, Lo'ak studied her actions from afar. How she flowed so gracefully when sparring against her teacher. The girl seemed so strong and sophisticated with her synchronized movements. There was a hint of awe in his golden eyes and he was unable to look away.

     He was soon snapped back to reality when he felt a hand grab his shoulder.

     Neteyam wasted no time and instantly took this chance to bring his little brother inside the tent before their father gave them a lecture.

     "Remember, family meeting." Neteyam pulled his younger brother by the arm with slight force in a harsh tone. Lo'ak only released a breath, his eyes displayed a sense of annoyance. However, he didn't let it control his mood.

     After all, the new memory of A'kaia only seemed to lighten it.

| 𝐃𝐘𝐒𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐀.ೃ࿔*:・|

author's note!

im gonna be real honest
i don't like this chapter
cause it felt rushed, but
i hope you guys liked it.
thank you all for ur
support 🩰 i'll update
as much as i can ;)

written:
12/30/22.

-xoxo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.9K 1K 30
The sullys have gone through hardship with the sky people. The sky people have returned and destroyed their home but now they have to leave there hom...
162K 4.5K 49
[COMPLETED] ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ Ilyana, daughter of Tsahรฌk and Olo'eyktan, had been at peace and lived with ease her whole life. That was all until Turok...
110K 3.2K 18
โ not really sure how to feel about it something in the way you move, makes me feel like i can't live without you...
1K 2 14
A metkayina girl fell in love with the eldest sully, Neteyam. But little did she know he was stuck on someone else while that someone else had moved...