Sunset in 1950 (America x Ger...

Par Lovelicoriceart

Time Traveller Germany has landed a few years too far back in the past. A few thousand years too far. In this... Plus

Ocean Breeze
The Three Soldiers
Finder's Keeper's
NASA?
Just Friends
Sticks and Twine
A gift
Stars
Trust
Here on Earth
Beaches and Vistas

Merely a Follower

227 11 1
Par Lovelicoriceart

 (Germany's POV)

 Delight filled my senses before I got up from my seat, and ran out the doors with excitement.

 Outside, I let the sunlight shine on my pale skin, feeling the warmth and life from this perspective. Sunlight wasn't nearly as enjoyable from inside the Domes.

 Here, it was as if the very ground I walked on was alive. Really alive, organic material growing on its own, without hydroponic systems and closed metallic habitats. Here, everything was open, everything was right at my fingertips.

 I ran across the pavement to a patch of dry grass, falling to my knees. The beauty of Earth could not be compared to any planet I have ever visited.

 Why would we not be allowed here? It's beautiful...

They told us Earth was destroyed by debris from a faraway collision of two planets. The rubble finally charted through space and collided with Earth, effectively destroying the planet forever.

 I had a hard time believing that story.

 Historically, Jupiter had been Earth's protector, since its gravitational mass was far greater than the Earth, it would pull in asteroids and debris before it even got close.

 I always wondered if that happened, how did the human race survive at all? They couldn't have had time to leave on a ship, and what about the plant life that was supposedly saved from Earth? Every time I asked the question, I would be told to sit back down and be a more effective student.

 Even if by then, humans had colonies on other planets, why wasn't that taught in any of our History Classes?

 Our society values information. It's how we survive. How we expand and evolve. So why did it feel like there was a veil of secrets? I figured I happened to pull on a thread every time I asked that question when I was young.

 My fingers tugged at the grass. Somehow, the indescribable feeling of knowing you are real and what you are is true came upon me. So common was the feeling of derealization among Jumpers, that everyone learned to treasure these moments. If you didn't, you'd be lost in the thought of endless time periods, endless worlds, and versions of the same galaxy, when we hadn't even begun exploring half of our own.

 Being a Jumper in my experience was the hardest job I've ever done. And it sure as hell wasn't by choice. Getting sent to some unknown destination, not knowing what you'll find, not knowing if you'll ever see your friends and family again. We were disposable, and they knew that. 

 My task every month was to get sent to some hell hole, take data, return, report and repeat.

 Every month, some new timeline, some new planet I had to document and traverse. Constantly being ill-equipped, not being allowed to contact resources until my time was up. 

 It was harsh and inhumane. But it was service, and that had to mean something, right?

 We were soldiers fighting an invisible enemy. Nothing could have prepared me for realizing the enemy was really the suits back home.

 Everyone was expected to do their job, do it well, and go home safely.

 Except Jumpers like me don't always get to the last step.

The thing that was most distasteful about all of my experiences, was that I enjoyed this job. It wasn't simple or glorifying, but it put to use my skills, and there was always something waiting around the corner. Although any day it could be Death around the corner.

 I looked up from my grassy patch, out into the deep blue horizon. The light swayed on the water, glinting gently. No one I knew back home had ever seen an ocean, let alone a tree. 

 I got to see plants and animals every day. I was free from those awful artificial habitats and structures, built to keep you alive, not to let you live.

 The wind blew the coarse grass over my hand, and the golden rays of the sun started to turn pink. It must've been late. 

 Maybe I could stay for a day. I should find an astronomy lab of some sort before trying to leave anyway, their data would be extremely useful.

 I got up, pondering where I could possibly go when I thought of the man I had met earlier, America. Turning my head, I watched as his figure slowly faded down the coastal road toward the bay. He looked to be almost there by now. 

The sun turned the cliffs pink and yellow, and I could barely see the grass swaying far down the hill. 

 Curiosity filled me and I figured I would follow him for a while. How exactly I would follow him was the issue. He was already at least half an hour's walk ahead of me, and it was getting late. 

 Pondering my choices, I looked around at the vehicles filling the pavement in front of me. These machines in the lot didn't appear to be dangerous, so maybe I could catch a ride.

 A couple walked out of the cafe, the woman had pinned blonde hair and a rosy pink dress. Her hat was neatly tucked into the curls of her hair, and her arms were linked with a well-dressed man in a tan suit. He opened the door of a black automobile for her and then walked around to the other side.

 I rushed to his side, winded when I got close. 

 "Hey, woah there sir, can I help you?" The gentleman turned to face me, placing a hand firmly on my shoulders. I saw the woman in the vehicle peer out the window at us. 

 "Forgive me sir, are you by chance going to the bay?" I looked up at him, my eyes pleading for a chance to tag along.

 "Why, yes we are. We're headed down to Palm Springs, it's right next to the Docks. I assume you're looking for a ride?" He took his hand away from my shoulder and beamed. 

 "Yes, sir I am. If it's not too much trouble of course. My name is Germany, sir." I put my hand out for him to shake, not knowing whether or not that was customary in this time period. In some, it's considered extremely rude, but he shook my hand firmly.

 "Of course, it isn't! My name is Ralph Novak, My wife's in the car, her name is Evelyn. Here hop on in!" Ralph opened the door for me and I slid into the leather seats. The inside smelled awful. Leather and oil, gasoline, and perfume filled my senses. An overwhelming headache took over and dulled my sight. I had to close my eyes and hold my breath to get a bearing on my surroundings. 

 Their voices were loud, and the churn of the engine startled me. It was so loud, everything was so loud. My eyes went wide with fear when the vehicle lurched backward, momentum pulling us down the hill. Motion like this was nothing I'd ever experienced. How could people possibly ride in these monstrous machines? 

 Talking and laughing pulled me from my disoriented state. 

 "So, dear, where are you from? We love meeting new people, and I must say your clothes are most unusual... Are you ok?" Questions were overlooked when concern filled the voice of the women in the passenger seat. I had to concentrate to answer her inquiries. 

 "Yes ma'am my vitals are currently normal." I clutched my forehead to try and ease my headache. Looking out the window at the cliffs and trees made me sick. We weren't moving at an intense velocity, yet I felt absolutely horrendous. 

 I squeezed my eyes shut and covered them with my hands. Maybe if I didn't look I wouldn't spoil my previous meal.

 "I'm from a time period you wouldn't recognize. Any attempt to relate or interact with me beyond pleasantries would be frustrating for us both." I shook my head and slowly opened my eyes, locking gazes with the blonde. Her body was almost completely turned around to look at me.

 "Oh well that's ok, Ralph here isn't good with small talk either. If you want, I could recommend my tailor. He does a fine job with young gentlemen like yourself, for a very fair price." She turned back around and lightly gestured to her husband, perhaps to encourage him to say something. 

 I was mostly surprised she didn't have anything to say about what I stated. Usually 'I'm from a different time period' starts intriguing conversations.

 We were increasing speed as the machine chugged down the hill, the brakes occasionally squeaking. Ralph cleared his throat loudly before making conversation.

 "Well, we just love the opportunity to help someone like yourself when they need it. The world needs more kind-hearted people. Say, what are you doing going down to the docks this late anyway? Do you work at one of the shipping yards?" 

 Ralph had made eye contact with me through the rearview mirror, expecting an answer, yet I had nothing satisfactory to say in reply. 

 "I Uhm... I'm meeting an acquaintance. He is most likely there already." I sighed and begged this hellish ride to end. My stomach wasn't going to last much longer. 

 "Oh well that's nice, we know a few boys who work down at the shipping yards. Great fellows with lots of potential. It's where I met my wife too. Those ports keep this town alive." He chuckled nervously and adjusted the rearview mirror, casting a soft smile over to Evelyn. 

 At least one thing was familiar, the way people fell in love and expressed affection was near identical to my home time period. 

 Talking was the only thing keeping me from throwing up at this point. I could see the rows of ships lined up at the wooden docks, men running and loading things, and fishermen hauling in their last catch of the day.

 "I must ask, what is this horrible piece of machinery called?" I almost gagged before the car made a slow left turn into a lot leading down to the beach. Ralph's head whipped around to stare at me, astonished. 

 "I beg your pardon? This 'horrible car' is a 1946 Cadillac Fleetwood! I would expect some gratitude for driving you out here. What a rude thing to say." Ralph pulled to a stop, shutting off the engine. He scowled at me from the driver's seat, but I couldn't stay any longer. 

 I flung open the car door, puking my guts onto the asphalt. My throat burned as the contents of my stomach ended up on the ground, a disgusting taste left in my mouth. 

 Gagging I stood up trying to breathe, and Evelyn suddenly held my shoulders up, steadying me. My black hair fell in front of my eyes as I doubled over again, heaving.

 That was the most unpleasant ride of my life. 

 "Oh my goodness dear, I knew you didn't look right, Ralph! Come and help me, he must feel miserable!" Evelyn's purse fell to the ground as she leaned over me, trying her best to hold my hair back from my face.

 Ralph got out of the car, adjusting his suit and stepping away from the both of us. I started to shake after throwing up hopefully for the last time, my lips trembling. My stomach felt awful, and my headache hadn't gone away.

 "Serves him right for what he said! This car was expensive." Ralph huffed before turning on his heel and snatching up Evelyn's purse. 

 Evelyn helped me stand, and I caught her throwing a nasty look Ralph's way. 

 "Just take deep breaths now, honey, it'll be ok. My younger sister got car sick like you wouldn't believe. Nothing new to me, darling. Just breathe." Evelyn's soothing words calmed me only slightly, I still had the worrisome thought of getting home eating away at me. 

 Finally, I stood up, taking in shaky breaths. I walked over to the beach, sinking into the sand with Evelyn behind me. 

 "Thank you, I'm so sorry for throwing up. I've never ridden in one of those before." I admitted. I looked into Evelyn's blue eyes, and all I saw was pity. She was a kind soul. Her pale skin was glowing in the sunset, and Ralph came up behind her to hand over her purse. 

 "Oh it's alright dear, I'm just glad you're ok." She smiled warmly, before turning back to Ralph as he spoke.

 "Alright well, this is as far as we'll take you. The docks are to your right, and the shipping yards are even farther down. The military recruitment station is next to Hal's, you'll see it on your way if that's where you're headed." Ralph looked down for a moment and stuck out his hand once meeting my gaze.

 "Have a good rest of your night, Germany. I don't expect to be seeing you again." I took his hand and shook it, feeling quite awkward at this long goodbye. 

 "Thank you, have a good rest of your night as well." I broke away first and watched them climb back into the automotive before driving away.

 The ocean breeze blew right through my thin grey suit. The plastic chest plate heater kicked on and started glowing. The wires lined the plate in an abstract design, curling and twisting across my back and chest. Quickly I warmed up and started to walk along the beach. 

 I wondered where America might be. That was the whole reason I came down here, after all. It was getting darker by the minute, eventually, I wouldn't be able to see where I was walking in the sand.

 Ahead of me, there was a long wooden pier, extending out into the water, with a huge ship docked far out. It looked like it was about to leave port. I walked faster to reach the steps up onto the pier and suddenly saw America running down the dock, waving his arms frantically. 

 The ship churned and men yelled. Metal creaked and the ship started moving away from the pier. I could hear America yelling, waving his arms, and screaming for the ship to stop, but it was already set in motion. 

 I walked gently along the pier, the rotting wood beneath me smelling of salt and mold. I could feel the vibration of America's footsteps as he ran down the pier.

 Finally, I saw him slow to a stop and put his hands on his knees. The ship swayed on the waves, quickly becoming smaller as it got further out on the waters. He looked up and cursed loudly before turning around. 

 I quickly stumbled down the steps, falling face-first into the sand below. My satchel flew out of my grip and landed carelessly close to the waves. I could hear America making his way back up the pier. 

 A sharp pang of anxiety flared in me as I scrambled up from the dry sand, moving under the wooden structure. I swiped up my satchel last minute, hiding behind a pillar covered in white barnacles. 

 I could hear America talking to himself as he walked along the deck above me. I ducked deeper underneath and flipped off my heater to shut off the orange glow. Darkness enveloped me, and I hid behind multiple pillars. Underneath, the water sloshed at my shoes, foam, and seaweed sticking to my legs. 

 "-and you just had to stick around! God, why didn't I leave earlier? I missed him, I JUST missed him. God dammit." America was now almost directly above me. I could hear him walking down the steps, but I couldn't see him at all.

 "Maybe he'll have a change of heart on that long boat." I could hear America sigh deeply, before stepping into the sand. My hands clutched the slimy wood and sharp barnacles, pleading he didn't notice me. I couldn't see him, so I had no way of knowing how far away he was.

 I could only hear his soft footsteps on the sand. He had stepped off the wooden pier, and I assume was standing nearby.

 Minutes passed. I was getting tired. My feet were freezing cold, and the smell of the mildew was starting to make me want to sneeze. 

 The waves crashed and I noticed the water had risen. The tide was coming in.

 I held my satchel and gently blew on my hands to try and warm them up. It was now pure dark, no light filtered through the slats above me anymore. 

 What the hell was I thinking?

-

-

-

2768 words.

Thank you for reading!

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

49.8K 766 25
As stated above. this is a Countryhumans x Reader story. Unfortunately for male readers, my stories sre targeted towards females. It is really uncomf...
5.4K 106 14
This is just what it says it is, a oneshot book about CountryHumans so yeah, enjoy I guess more info in the first post or chapter or whatever you wan...
8.7K 369 68
"I cant control Switzerland's power like he can. I cant single out one persons thoughts, and even knowing that Im not finding North's thoughts anywhe...
7.9K 305 13
"Was..?" The German questioned with his raspy yet heavy German accent. Tears trickled in the back of his eyes as he saw ______ being kissed with some...