the beauty of water: resurfac...

By thunder_roses

𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚒𝚝 𝚒𝚜 𝚞𝚗𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚊𝚌𝚌𝚎𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚘𝚛 𝚗𝚘𝚝, 𝚠𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚒𝚜 𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚝�... More

prologue.
chapter one.
chapter two.
chapter three.
chapter four.
chapter five.
chapter six.
chapter seven.
chapter eight.
chapter nine.
chapter ten.
chapter twelve.
chapter thirteen.
chapter fourteen.
chapter fifteen.
chapter sixteen.
chapter seventeen.
chapter eighteen.
chapter nineteen.
chapter twenty.
chapter twenty-one.
chapter twenty-two.
chapter twenty-three.
chapter twenty-four.
chapter twenty-five.
chapter twenty-six.
chapter twenty-seven.
chapter twenty-eight.
chapter twenty-nine.
chapter thirty.
epilogue.
The End?

chapter eleven.

600 23 16
By thunder_roses

(Y/n) almost couldn't believe her ears.

Sure, she knew that Aimi had escaped at some point but she had no idea that she'd been on the run for so long. She could've been killed much earlier... or worse...

"Why did they not inform us sooner?" the President demanded. "They are fully aware of what she has done and how dangerous she is."

"I asked the same thing," Kunikida answered. "They said they were trying to keep it as quiet as possible. People were only told on a need-to-know basis. I told them we needed to know."

Now the debate as to how they would best protect (Y/n) and Hinami became more dire. They needed to come up with a plan right now. Ranpo thought for a moment, slowly pulling his hand out of the chip bag he was snacking from and rolled it closed.

He suddenly crumpled the chip bag between his palms, instantly gaining the attention of the entire room. Ranpo asked, "Do you remember that cabin that was built far in the countryside as a safe house?"

"Yes." The President replied. He looked back to (Y/n). "Yes I do."

Junichiro and Kenji stood outside of (Y/n) and Dazai's apartment while Atsushi and Kyoka patrolled the surrounding area. Dazai grabbed various bags and items, assisting as much as he could with (Y/n) as she continued to pack.

At this point she'd changed into a pair of jeans with a black t-shirt paired with a midnight blue overcoat, something simple yet comfortable. She'd placed many similar clothing items into her bags. She barely said a word to Dazai throughout the entire packing process.

Dazai looked towards the closed door, wondering then stating to himself that the others would have no idea what they discussed while packing. As he turned back towards (Y/n), something reflected a shard of sunlight right into his eyes, causing him to turn away just as fast.

Once he recovered, he turned to find that what had briefly blinded him was her engagement ring. It still stood proud on her finger, right where it should be.

"You're still wearing the ring," he stated, grabbing a towel and handing it to her.

"We're still engaged, aren't we?"

For some reason, that gave him more relief than it should've.

"We are indeed." He placed down a couple pairs of socks next to her bag, holding them down as he thought for a moment. "I'm sorry to have betrayed your trust like that, (Y/n). I shouldn't have gone behind your back like that."

"No, you shouldn't have." She didn't face him as she responded.

"I was just concerned that you weren't telling the full truth."

"That's not an excuse."

"I wasn't trying to make it one."

"Good, because it would've been a lousy attempt." She stepped out of his sight, into the bathroom to grab some more of her toiletries.

Dazai stared at where she was, drumming his fingers against the socks. He finally called out to her, "We never confirmed where we wanted to get married."

"I assumed we had agreed on where already."

"We never said it out loud to one another."

"Do we need to now?" She came back out of the bathroom holding a small bag, bulging with products inside of it. "We both know it's going to be on the port near the Ferris wheel."

He allowed himself to show a small smile. "We really do know each other."

"Well that's what happens when you live with one another."

"It's also what happens when you constantly scre—"

"Do you know where my black sneakers are?" she questioned, silencing his less useful statement. "I swear I left them out."

"Try under the wardrobe."

She pulled them out. "Got it. Thank you."

Dazai watched as she carefully placed the sneakers into the bag. She stopped as soon as they were in. She could feel his eyes on her, looking her up and down. Examining each curve of her body.

"Just because we can have a conversation does not mean that you are forgiven." She spun around, her eyes visibly red and puffy. "I'm incredibly disappointed in you, Osamu. I will be for a long time. Don't forget that."

After (Y/n) turned back around, the two were surrounded in silence for the most part. They grew close to concluding their packing, preparing to leave for safe house. Dazai eventually broke the tension again as he asked, "Do you know where Kunikida disappeared to?"

"He went to go talk to Hinami, to try and get her a safety accommodation as well," (Y/n) responded. "I'd love to see how he's gonna try and get her to leave the Ripped Page."

Kunikida made his way to the Ripped Page, passing through the thickening streets of Yokohama. His pace was swift, yet he was not running. He knew better than to run around, especially because it appeared that Aimi had eyes and ears everywhere he turned.

He eventually made it, straightening out his vest as he slowed his pace in his final steps towards the door. He opened it, allowing the bell over it to ring and notify Hinami that another customer had entered her store. There were a few people circulating the store, not much more than the usual amount that came by every hour or so.

"Welcome to the Ripped Page!" she called out from behind the counter, though Kunikida could not see her.

There was a loud bang suddenly, causing everyone in the near vicinity to jump and turn towards the source. Kunikida's hand rested on his notebook, prepared to whip it out just in case.

He quickly put it away once he saw Hinami emerge from behind the counter. She rubbed her head, a lump beginning to form under her hair on the back of her head. She winced as her fingers brushed over the bump.

"Are you alright?" Kunikida asked as he made his way over to her. "Are you hurt?"

"Well duh, I slammed my head pretty good on the counter," she replied in her usual tone towards him.

Even though he could feel her lingering disdain for him despite their last interaction, he could feel that she didn't despise him as much as she used to. Maybe she was even starting to respect him – like would be a strong word.

"I'll be okay though," Hinami continued, rubbing her head once before she leaned against the counter. She drew herself closer to Kunikida despite the barrier as she asked, "What can I do for you, Kunikida?"

"Is there a more private place we can talk? I have some dire matters to discuss with you," he said. He leaned in as his voice grew quieter, almost to a whisper.

"I mean, not currently. Hibiki went back home to tend to some personal matters so I'm currently the only one running the store." Hinami ran her fingers through her hair, careful not to hit against the bump. "Why? What's wrong?"

Kunikida pursed his lips, looking around the near vicinity. Hinami could tell that he had something more than dire to tell her – especially since he and (Y/n) ran off to the Agency so fast. Deep down, she knew what he was about to tell her.

"Aimi's really back," she said, her voice squeaking slightly. "Isn't she?"

Kunikida paused before responding. He knew that Hinami's tough demeanor was beginning to falter. Even though she kept a relaxed posture, her face calm, he could tell that there were tears beginning to form – threatening to spill at any moment.

"Yes," he finally replied. "She's back."

Hinami closed the Ripped Page early, sending away the customers and locking up. She led Kunikida upstairs to her penthouse, where he explained everything that occurred. He felt he didn't need to omit any details as all of this affected her just as much as it affected (Y/n) – though her life wasn't in as much danger as (Y/n)'s was.

Though she could not go to the safe house (Y/n) was going to be kept – not because she wasn't a member of the Armed Detective Agency, but to keep the two of them separate as to not keep multiple targets in one spot – she had other options. Kunikida immediately assisted in packing her things as Hinami began to make arrangements for where she would be staying.

"I guess I can tell Hibiki to stay in Tokyo since I'll be coming to him," Hinami said as she pulled out her phone.

She ended the sentence with a chuckle, though it felt forced and afraid. Her hands were shaking and she was tapping her foot feverously, the sound echoing throughout the open space.

"Does your family live in Tokyo?" he asked, popping out from her room she stood in the middle of the living room.

"They do now. They moved there after I took over the Ripped Page, seeing that they would get a fresh start," Hinami replied without looking up from her phone. She struggled to press the buttons on her phone, her fingers trembling enough not to cooperate with her. "They actually were thinking about selling the store but I told them that I would take it over so it could stay in the family. I miss them from time to time, but I know I made the right choice."

"There are poor circumstances to be visiting your family under."

"No shit." She began to grow frustrated, tears beginning to run down her face. She let out a groan, falling back onto her couch. She fell back with such force that it actually moved the furniture a few inches back, screeching against the floor.

Kunikida fully came out. He stood behind the couch as she began to cry, unsure as to what to do. His hand hovered above her shoulder, something in him telling him that he needed to comfort her. He just didn't quite know how to properly do so.

He eventually let his hand fall onto the cushion she was resting against. He held his other hand out as he asked, "Do you need help dialing your family?"

Hinami nodded, sniffling as she handed him the phone. He dialed in the intended number (Hibiki) and handed her phone back to her.

Kunikida went back into her bedroom, listening as she told Hibiki what was happening and what would be happening now. He knew that he needed to go help her pack and call the police in Tokyo to inform them of what was occurring as to properly protect her – there was just something in him that needed to make sure Hinami's call went smoothly and that she would be just a bit okay right now.

He pulled out his notebook, flipping through the pages. His hand fell on a certain page, one that had caused strife in the past and aching in the present. He turned back to Hinami, shaking his head as he slapped the notebook closed.

Kunikida tucked it away in his vest. There were more important matters to deal with right now. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 61.9K 47
COMPLETED • There is no better way to describe you than a doll, living to please your owner. At the age of 11, Mori took you in from an orphanage and...
58.2K 1.9K 33
"𝑰𝒕𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒅𝒂𝒚 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒆𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖" In which Y/N becomes Dazai's assistant.... Never realizing the hard wo...
121K 3.9K 23
It had been years since you last saw the red-head. You had lost contact after moving to London to live with your fiance. Suddenly back in Japan, sing...
379K 15.2K 37
"𝕀 𝕕𝕠𝕟'𝕥 𝕥𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕥 𝕡𝕖𝕠𝕡𝕝𝕖 𝕓𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕪, 𝕀 𝕥𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕞 𝕒𝕔𝕔𝕠𝕣𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕝𝕪." ◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐ Y/n was reckless. As a high schoo...