Deliver Us {Stranger Things 1...

By RoseEchoes

Hawkins is a small town, the kind Carlian Delsoa, his mother and twin siblings had been looking to start over... More

The New Arrivals
It's A Jungle
Movie Night
Camera Shy
The Vanishing
Water
Ashes
The Funerals
Seance

I See Something

6 0 0
By RoseEchoes

   It was not her imagination this time. Though it was faint, it is a clear and distinctive voice calling out to Catori. She rises upright, numbers on her M&M clock glowing signalling three am. This hour is said to be the witching hour, as her grandmother would often call it. A time when the dead and supernatural beings return to our world when they are at their most powerful.

Sweat trickled down her neck, rubbing the back of it. Licking her lips she looked towards her bedroom door she had open.

"Carlian? Mom?" Catori whispered. "That you?"

Only silence greeted her. A groan almost escaped, feeling a sickness pool. Her bare feet touch the wooden floor boards. Please, please don't let me actually see 'someone' She began to read up on her people's history of spirits. Wendigos, Water Babies, Thunderbird. But the one that frightened her above any other was the Two-Face.

Another cannibal spirit that preys on children and pregnant women. She entered their bathroom in the hallway upstairs, wincing when the door she pushed creaks open. Turning on the light, she is relieved not to find Two-Face. Laughter almost escaped, leaning against the door running a hand down her face.

You're so silly, I mean really! Nine-years old and you believe in this stuff still?

Lukewarm water runs down her face after splashing it once, then twice. She poured herself a small cup of water. One good thing about this town, at least their trap water isn't crappy

Catori looks at herself in the mirror again. It's her reflection. Nothing out of the ordinary. When she realized her face is clean, not covered in dirt or scrapes and cuts. Her eyes are not wide and pleading, tears like mini waterfalls.

"Cat...Cat please...get me out....!"

She was going to scream. But no sound came out. She could only stare at the face of her twin, Kateri on the other side of the mirror.

"Kateri? Kateri?" she uttered. Chest rising and falling.

Kateri looked behind her, once shiny and soft black-hair that Catori once dipped the end in neon green paint a wild mess of locks. "I can't talk for long....me and Will....we're...."

Something. She heard what sounded like growls on the other side of the mirror, along with Will Byers panicked whispering for Kateri. "Kateri? Where are you? Is Will really there?"

"I-I have to go...that thing's coming back, sis....!"

"Kateri!"

She screamed it this time, trying to reach for her sister. It was loud enough to wake Carlian and their mother, rushing for the bathroom. "Catori, Catori!" Helona screamed. "What is it?! Baby, it's alright! It's alright..." she soothed, pulling her sobbing daughter gently away from the mirror kneeling beside in her robe on the tiled floor. Carlian could only stare in shock at his sister's state. Placing a hand upon her shoulder, as Catori sobbed and sobbed in her mother's arms. Muttering 'I saw her! I saw Kateri!'

Catori finally fell asleep with Carlian keeping a close eye, while Helona called Jim Hopper to let him know she'll be a little late this morning. He was understanding of it to her relief.

Carlian grips her hand into his, biting his inside cheek. "Is she awake, yet?" Helona whispered, kneeling on Catori's other side of her bed.

"Not yet...mom, I've never seen her like this before."

"Neither have I, Carlian. It's odd and frightening...Kateri. She...she did mention her name..."

"It could be a breakdown. You know Cattie: She holds everything in, until an explosion happens." Carlian replied. Remembering her last breakdown when she found out they were moving.

Helona bit down on her thumbpad. Glancing at their phone on the hallway wall. "Maybe it's time I took her in...there's a good doctor I hear, he could help. Carlian, I know it's a lot on you but-."

"I'll watch over her mom. You get to work alright?" he gave her a smile that reminded Helona of his father's. She gave him a big hug whilst scheduling an appointment for Catori, before work.

Jonathan came by soon as he heard the situation. Though his thoughts were dominantly on Will, Carlian appreciated he shows concern for his sister's well-being. She was still asleep by the time he arrived, in which Carlian motioned him to come in.

"Mom's at work, she left around four this morning," Carlian answered. A yawn threatening to escape. "What's up? Any news on Will or Kat?"

"No...but, mom....she's acting weird. Lights are strung up all over are house...." Jonathan admits, rubbing the back of his neck in Catori's room. Leant against the doorframe.

Carlian raises a curious brow. "Lights?"

"Yeah. Our old Christmas lights. She thinks Will's 'communicating' with her, through them or something." The way his brows knit-together it's evident Jonathan did not approve. He believed Joyce had officially gone off her deep end. Something inside her snapping in two or more pieces. "And, that's not all, our dad's back."

His tone drips with disdain. Carlian frowned, tilting his head while still keeping an eye on Catori. "You don't sound happy."

"It's complicated, let's just focus on your sister alright?"

"But-."

"Are you always this nosy?" Jonathan raised a brow.

Carlian's mouth fell open in disbelief. "Nosy? Me? I'm NOT nosy, Byers."

"You really are..."

Catori's slurred tone caught them off guard. Her eyes were blurry, red-rimmed from her crying casting her gaze down at her lap away from her brother and Jonathan. "Cattie, hey, how are ya?" Carlian said gently, still not letting go of her hand. "Jon came over to check on you..."

She shrugged. "I'm okay, I guess. Was I crying last night?" At his low nod she groaned, burying her face in her hands. "Shit..."

"Watch your mouth," Carlian sighed. Running a hand through her hair. "What was that all about, anyway?"

She looked down at her hands again. Biting her lower lip. "You'll think I'm crazy."

"Sis, look at the town we're in."

A good point. Very good point. Exhaling slowly she explained what she had seen, tried to form it in words the apparition in the mirror. Carlian and Jonathan stared. Not of judgement, of concern she could tell which annoyed her more than anything.

"So...you saw Kateri in the mirror of your bathroom?" Jonathan asked.

She nodded. "Yeah, she was clear as day. I know my face and I know hers, even though we look alike."

"It could be a trick of the light or something," Carlian chimed carefully.

Catori scoffed. "I knew it. You think I'm nuts."

"No, no we're just-."

She forced them out of her room, making a point to slam her door. Groans escaped from Carlian while Jonathan rubbed the back of his neck. "Well. That went well." He said with sarcasm. "About like how my mom acted."

"She'll come around, won't be in there forever especially with her appetite. I just...don't get it. The mirror. Your mom and Christmas lights..." Carlian sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Grief's an odd thing, I guess if you think about it. Maybe it's a comforting thing for them."

"And last is acceptance. Which, if you're anything like my mom, is not an easy achievement." Jonathan added. Lips pursed at the thought.

Knowing his sister well, Carlian laid out some oreo's on a plate and a tall glass of milk. Jonathan waited with interest. Wondering if such trick would work. No sooner had he done so, she trotted slowly downstairs. While not speaking of course, she did sit at the table to eat the snack.

~********~

The trio of Carlian, Jonathan and Catori went about placing missing person photos of Will and Kateri around Hawkins. He dreaded entering Hawkins High, not because Jonathan was with him far from it. He was not in the mood to deal with Tommy, Steve or Carol being his main problem. Students already stopped to stare when they walked through, hanging flyers up. Carlian and Catori on one side. Jonathan on another.

Childish giggling from some girls could be heard. Whispering 'I wonder if they're dating?'.

"Ew! Beth-!"

His face flared red. Clenching his hand in a fist, though it relaxed to some degree when Nancy approached them.

"Hey...." She said softly. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" Carlian retorted. "Not like you caused 'em to go missing."

"While that's the main thing, I-I wanted to apologize for Barb and mine's behavior towards you two. It isn't right...you're good guys. And girl." She smiled light at Catori, who gave a small grin in return.

Jonathan blinked in shock at her response. Surprised to hear it come from Steve's girl. "Thanks...we uh, we're busy right now so...."

"Yeah, yeah I understand. Carlian, Steve's having a party this weekend at his house. He was wondering if you wanted to come along."

The Harrington's way of working things out. Thinking they can buy someone's feelings off with parties and gifts. Carlian looked over her shoulder, casting Nancy an apologetic look of his own and to Barb.

"No. I'm good, thanks though...see ya?"

"See ya."

Departing from the school onto Hawkins Middle School next, Jonathan looked at him curiously. "You turned down a party from Steve Harrington?"

"I did. They aren't my people."

Jonathan glanced down to see his hand formed into a fist bump, grinning ever faint returning the action. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 195 24
"It was only one thing. Only one little thing that happened to make me fall in love with you. One simple thing, and I don't understand how that's pos...
10.5K 375 32
"Who is Blurryface and why does he want me dead?" After 12-year-old rebellious preteen Jane Ives moves to the small town of Hawkins, she has to deal...
18.2K 401 34
"I c-can't feel or- or see anything." ✩-.. Will's connection to Vecna is getting stronger, and nobody knows how to help him. Will he be able to escap...
1.7K 58 11
It had been three years since young Will Byers had first gone missing. The small town of Hawkins had never forgotten the tragedy that had rocked thei...