Love at First Letter ✔️

By megaannicolee

Hazel Tate has spent the last three years of her life avoiding all things military. After the unfortunate dea... More

Love at First Letter
Love at First Letter - 1
Love at First Letter - 2
Love at First Letter - 3
Love at First Letter - 4
Love at First Letter - 5
Love at First Letter - 6
Love at First Letter - 7
Love at First Letter - 8
Love at First Letter - 9
Love at First Letter - 10
Love at First Letter - 11
Love at First Letter - 12
Love at First Letter - 13
Love at First Letter - 14
Love at First Letter - 15
Love at First Letter - 16
Love at First Letter - 17
Love at First Letter - 18
Love at First Letter - 19
Love at First Letter - 20
Love at First Letter - 21
Love at First Letter - 22
Love at First Letter - 23
Love at First Letter - 24
Love at First Letter - 25
Love at First Letter - 26
Love at First Letter - 27
Love at First Letter - 28
Love at First Letter - 30
Love at First Letter - 31
Love at First Letter - 32
Love at First Letter - 33
Love at First Love - 34
Love at First Letter - 35
Love at First Letter - Epilogue
Update
One Million Reads

Love at First Letter - 29

39.4K 1.1K 246
By megaannicolee

Do you know how frustrating it is to write this chapter ten different times and not like even one of them. I had a solid plan on where the rest of the chapters were going to go and what was going to happen, but I just didn't like how this chapter kept turning out. But I think I've finally got something I semi-like.

I am so sorry for making y'all wait for this. But I've finally updated.

Should Scott Eastwood (Picture Above!) be Brett? I'm not too sure, so I want to hear what y'all have to say about it! Let me know below!

Love at First Letter

Chapter 29

I drove in circles, laughing as Brett sat in the passenger seat with a black tie wrapped around his face. He wasn't too fond of being blind folded and reluctantly let Johanna and Cara tie it around his face. But now that we were in a car, he was even less happy about it.

"Stop complaining." I tell him and grab one of his hands in mine. "This is what you get for losing that game of darts. You lost and now I get to take you out on a date."

The game happened late last night. Johanna and Cara were on their date with a pair of twins and weren't going to be home until late. Don't wait up, is what the note had read. But having nothing better to do Brett and I decided to go down to the bar to play a game of darts. Under the influence of a few beers Brett had bet me that he would beat me in a game of darts. It probably wasn't the best idea, having objects that could possibly hurt someone while being tipsy but we did it anyway.  

However, what Brett didn't know was that my uncle's favorite game was always darts. He had taught me everything about it when I was little and my dad was away. It wasn't a very hard game and I had taken to it like a natural.

"You hustled me." He says. "I didn't know you are some kind of dart prodigy."

"I am not a dart prodigy." I laugh. "I just had a lot of time on my hands to practice."

"Whatever, are we almost there?"

"Yes, we're here." He goes to remove his blindfold but I grab his hands before he could. "Just a few more minutes before you can take it off." He groans but sits back in his chair and doesn't say a word. I can see Johanna and Cara setting up the last bit of the date. When they're done they send me a thumbs up and head back to their car. "Now just wait a minute." I get out of the car and walk around before opening his door.

I take his hand and help him out of the car. "You're taking away all of my masculinity." He tells me. Before we get onto the sand I bring him to a stop and take off his blindfold. When he sees where we are he sends me a glare. "The beach, really? You live two minutes from here and we were driving for half an hour."

"I had to stall." I shrug my shoulders and take his hand in mine. We were at a more private area of the beach and during low tide it was the perfect time to set up a table on the beach. The sun was starting to fall under the water and the sky was a mixture of pink, orange, and red. There was nobody else around, just Brett and me.

"Fried chicken." He laughs when we get to the table. "Mashed potatoes and dessert." We sit on opposite sides of the table. "You know me so well."

"Well I'm not too big on cooking so Johanna and Cara went to get it." I say to him and pass him the bowl of chicken. We fill our plates with food and take no time digging in. Beside the table is a small cooler of beer and I hand him on.

Brett and I kept up a steady conversation throughout dinner about everything besides what we knew we needed to talk about. We kept tiptoeing around the fact that we only had two weeks left together.

"Can we just talk about it?" I finally cave, hating the tension that was building in the air around us.

"I know what you're going to ask me and I want you to know that I want to stay together. I know I'm asking a lot of you, to stay here and wait for me. We can still send letters and emails and video chat, but I want to stay together." Brett lent across the table and held both of my hands in his. "But if I'm asking too much—"

"You're not asking too much. I'm just scared." His grip on my hands tighten in a reassuring way. "I'm scared that you're going to go away and I'm going to lose you."

"I want to tell you that that's not going to happen."

"But you can't." I give him a slight smile when he brings our clasped hands up to his mouth and kissed the back of both of my hands.

"I wish I could, but I'll call you and email you whenever I can."

I lean over the table and lightly press my lips against his. "I'm going to miss you so much."

"I'm going to miss you even more." He says to me, pecking my lips once more. "I'm going to be stuck with a million guys. I have no girls under my command."

"Which is what I like." I tell him and he send me a smile. "But if something does happen with one of those boys overseas, I do not want to know about it. Understood?"

He laughs, flinging his head back and letting out a loud belly laugh. Our hands come unclasped as his hands go to his stomach and continue to laugh. When he finally finishes and sti"Nothing is going to happen with any of those guys. You have nothing to worry about."

"Oh I'm not." I tell him. "I'm just saying, you boys overseas get pretty lonely sometimes and I just don't want to hear about it."

"Okay, I won't tell you anything."

"Thank you."

"Plus, I'm not going to be shipped out right away. I have to go back to camp and get back in shape before they would even think about it. I've got at least three to six months before shipment is possible."

"That makes me feel a little better, knowing you won't be as far away from me."

We spend the rest of the night talking. We don't talk too much about what's going to happen while he's away. Instead we talk about now. What we like to do, what we like to eat. We just lay on the sand, cuddled in each other's arms, and watch as the sun's completely swallowed by the water and the moon rises up high over the water and the stars come out.

***

"If you even make her cry one time Mr. Military Boy I will take great pleasure in castrating you. Do you understand?"

I've been sat in my office with my fingers flying over the keyboard. A new idea had come to me early this morning when I got up and I've been stuck in this room coming up with chapters ever since. I've written three of them so far and it was very promising.

"Please stop threatening my boyfriend." I yell to my friends in the other room. "It's been a week and you're still threatening him." I massage my hands and stand up from the computer and leave my office. I step into the living room where Johanna and Cara are sitting on either side of Brett and keep listing off threatening things they are going to do to him.

Brett even though he was trying to keep his laughter at bay was failing miserable. He kept letting little chuckles slip through and one of my friends would always chastise him about laughing. They would say this is serious and he would try to keep a straight face.

"Or at least come up with new material."

Brett turns to look at me and gives me a smile. I smile back and lean myself against the back of the couch. They were watching some television show and I lean further down to wrap my arms around Brett's neck. My hands rest on his chest and my head falls down onto his neck. He turns his head to kiss my cheek and without warning wraps his arms up around my waist and brings me falling down onto his lap. I squeal and end up horizontal across all three laps, with my head in Johanna's lap and my feet in Cara's.

"How's the new material coming?" He asks me, his hands on my thighs. He gives one light squeeze and I smile at him.

"It's coming." I say to him. "I only have a few chapters done but I've already emailed my editor, she's looking forward to reading the first few chapters when I finish the next two."

I look up at Johanna who is smiling wide and when I ask her about it she just says, "Y'all are so cute together."

"Don't you two have some kind of date you need to be at?" I ask her and as if rehearsed Johanna and Cara both look at each other and then towards the clock before shouting out 'shit' and then proceed to rush upstairs to get changed.

Within the hour both Johanna and Cara were dressed and gone on their date. The twins stopped by momentarily but before introductions could be given my best friends push them out the door and leave us alone. "Well that was weird." Brett says, leading me by my hand through the hallway and into my bedroom.

Next thing I know, my backs against my bed and Brett's hovering over me. His lips touch mine and it's a different kind of kiss. It was slower and more passionate. He quickly deepens it and his fingertips find the edge of my t-shirt. His fingers crawl up my skin and to the edge of my bra and then make their way back down my stomach.

The butterflies grow and his lips only leave mine to trail wet kisses up and down my neck. Soon, my shirts gone and then his and my fingers are trailing over his muscles and down to the edge of his pants. They move on their own to his back and my legs wrap around his waist to bring him closer.

"Are you sure?" He asks me in between kisses. He holds himself up by his elbows and keeps his face just inches from mine. My eyes open and I stare up at him. I nod my head and bring his lips down onto mine. I love the feeling of his lips on mine. "I love you."

"I love you too." And that night he showed me just how much he loved me.

We've been showing our love for the better half of the last week, whenever we could. Johanna and Cara had stopped going out on group dates and started going on their own. At first they both said it was weird as if the one twin didn't know what to do without the other. But throughout the last week and going on dates every day – just about – they seem to be really liking these twins.

I have yet to meet them, but have learned that their names are Derek and Dylan. I didn't know what they did for a job but my friends were crazy about both of them and I was happy for them. Although I expected to meet them soon.

I woke up this morning immediately noticing the date. Brett video chatted his family last night saying his final goodbyes. His sisters were a little upset that he wasn't there to say goodbye in person but his parents just said goodbye and to be safe before leaving it to his sisters. Brett gave me a look and in that moment I knew letting him come with me this past week and a half was the best decision I had made.

But, the drive to the airport was the longest forty five minutes of my life. Brett drove and kept his hand in mine the entire time, occasionally bringing my hand up to his mouth. He was in his army gear, wearing his camouflage and dog tag proudly.

When we get there I can barely keep the tears at bay and I don't for very long. As soon as his bag is out of the car and we walk into the airport, I let the tears fall. We stop when I go as far as I can and I wrap my arms around his neck. I cry into his shoulder and feel his arms wrap around my waist bringing me into him tightly. "I'm going to miss you so much." I tell him.

"I'm going to miss you too." I know there are a few people staring at the point but I don't care. They realize what is happening and don't take too long to stop and stare. Some people come up and shake Brett's hand and thank him for his service. He smiles at them and says welcome, but then his focus is entirely on me and he brings me in for one last kiss.

"Please don't get yourself killed."

He doesn't say anything but kisses me instead. I keep my hands in his hair and his lips on mine. I savor the moment and reluctantly pull apart when his flight is being called. He kisses me one last time and picks up his bag. "I love you so much." He says to me. "And I want you to have something." He lifts his dog tag from around his neck and places it around mine.

I don't know what to say so I settle for, "I love you too." I give him one last hug and he turns away. I stand there with my hand clasped around the dog tag and let the tears fall as he sends me one last smile over his shoulder and disappears around the corner. It takes me a few moments before I collapse into one of the chairs and the older woman sitting two chairs down scoots over and placed a motherly hand on my thigh.

I look up at the woman, her hair is completely grey and her face shows how old she is by the wrinkles. But she smiles at me and takes my hand in hers. "That man loves you," She says to me. "He will do whatever it takes to make it back to you. That I can promise you."

"Thank you."

She gives my thigh two pats with her hand, "Now, stop your crying and put a smile on that face. Your man in there wouldn't want you to spend all of your time crying."

"You're right."

"Of course I am, I'm eighty-seven years old. People who get this old tend to know quite a bit." I smile at her and thank her one last time before retreating to my car that I left sitting in a no parking zone. I quickly get in my car, cuss when I see the ticket sitting on my windshield but don't worry about it so much.

I make the drive home which suddenly feels empty. But when I enter the living room and see Johanna, Cara, and Sarah sitting there I know they have something up their sleeves. I raise my eyebrows and sit on the chair opposite them. "What have y'all been up to?"

"Well, since your tour had to be cut short we've made some arrangements and we're leaving for New York tonight. You have a panel tomorrow morning and a meeting with Logan to get some of your writing done. Then you have a book signing. So let's get going. We already packed for you and grabbed a few things. If you want to get into something more comfortable for the flight then hurry up. We're already late."

I shake my head at the girls in front of me but I'm secretly thanking them. If I'm thrown into interviews and panels and book signing I won't be able to worry profusely about Brett and what's happening. I haven't ever been more thankful for be leaving for New York.

But I can't help but send a prayer up to the skies that He look out for the love of my life. Keep him safe, I pray, and bring him back to me. That was all I wanted.

****

Check out my newest story..

FOLLOW THE ROAD!

I would really appreciate it.

What did you think? Do you like Scott Eastwood as Brett?

Let me know below!

Comment & Vote

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 160K 76
Nobody ever loved him; she was the first who loved him. He did not have a family and then one day she entered into his life and became a world for h...
141K 6.5K 16
To: 226-3091 From: Daisy Ashes Who is this? To: Daisy Ashes From: 226-3091 Let's just say I'm a secret admirer! :) Highest ranking #53 in short story...
1.4M 94.5K 186
**Story is gonna be slow paced. Read only if you have patience. 🔥** Isha Sharma married a driver whom she had just met. She was taking a huge risk...
209K 3.1K 16
Julia Swan is the younger sister of Bella Swan. When the Cullen's and pack are talking about the newborn vampire army Carlisle calls his friend Nikla...