The Greatest (TLOK)

By JaneMayLily

Everyone dreams of being the greatest at something. May it be the greatest bender, the greatest warrior or ev... More

Important stuff (I swear)
~Playlist~
OC and extra info
Face Claim
OC Clothing ideas book 1
1) The Avatar (Book 1)
2) I told you so
3) The get together
4) If I was a rich girl
5) Brothers
6) Skyfall
7) Kai
8) Stirring the tea
9) The sacrifice
10) Attack
11) Auto Pilot
12) A last good bye
End of Book 1
OC and extra info (updated)
OC clothing ideas book 2
13) Oh my spirits (book 2)
15) Tension is in the air...
16)...everywhere I look around
17) The big bang
18) Lights, Camera, Action
19) Smooth criminal
20) A prison and A premier
21) Bright and deadly
22) Bad Sophie
23) A giant women
End of book 2
OC and extra info (updated)
OC clothing ideas book 3
24) A Sneeze and a blast (book 3)
25) Kai 2.0
26) We are family
27) Treason
28) Kuvira
29) I'm glad
30) Life saver
31) Wait and see
32) Prison Blues
33) Always
34) Almost dying=Motivation
35) The first kill
End of book 3
OC and extra info (updated)
OC clothing ideas book 4
36) See you again (book 4)
37) Stabbing the tension
38) Pulling a 'Kuvira'
39) Unpleasant Pleasantries
40) Fever dreams
41) Put a ring on it
42) Coward

14) A mechanic or a sorcerer

395 17 0
By JaneMayLily

Sophie POV

Once Bolin and I found breakfast we parted ways and went to our separate huts.

I was busy reading a book when there was a knock on my door.

I get out of the arm chair, walk over to the door and open it.

"Hallo ma'am, I'm Juan and hear to inform you that chief Unalaq requests for you too come down to the stables.He is there with Avatar Korra and would like to speak to you."he says, nodding his head in greeting.

I think about it for a second but agree.

"I will join you in a second.I just need to get my things."I say, to which he nods again and steps back.

"I will wait for you by the snowmobile."he says and walks off.

I get all my stuff together and make sure not to leave anything important behind.

Not after what happened with my old research a while back.

You know, my lives work that I was forced to blow up because of the equalists.

Once I'm done I meet Juan outside who takes me down to what I think are the stables.

He drops me off and points me into their direction.

"Chief Unalaq, Korra, how can I help you?"I ask greeting them, giving Korra hug.

She was practically beaming off joy making me wonder how someone could be so happy in Unalaq's presence.

I have never seen anyone beaming of happiness in Unalaq's presence.

"I'm happy you could make it."Unalaq says giving me a nod in greeting.

"I asked you to join us so that we could ask you about-"he starts but was interrupted by Korra.

"We're going to the centre of the South Pole."she says excitedly grabbing my shoulder.

"Korra that's great but from what I've heard and read, the centre is a place of great spiritual turbulence's, making it very dangerous for humans."I explain concerned.

"Yes you're right but I promise you we'll be fine which brings me to the reason why we asked you to come here.We would love for you to join us on this exhibition. Even through you are still quite young you are one of the most knowledgeable people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting and I know you'd be a asset when trying to navigate through to the centre.It will also provide you the opportunity to see how much the south is really imbalanced with the spirits so you can report the situation correctly back to the United Nations."he says looking towards the camels.

Wow he's really pulling out the big guns.
Trying to smooth talk me and all.

"Come on, Sophie. I know it's dangerous but we both know you can defend yourself when push comes to shove and aren't you here to investigate the spirits anyway."Korra says trying to get me to say yes.

"Well I mean, yeah this would be a great opportunity to learn more about the spirits and maybe find a way to stop evil ones from attacking us."I say, biting my lip in thought.

"Fine I'll join you Guys."I say, making Korra hug me.

We spend the next few hours getting ready and stopping my brothers from throwing a fit because I was joining.

Like people, I have a job to do.
It's not a very warm job right now but it's still what I'm here for.

We were busy packing the camels and getting everything ready for the trip.

I had packed everything I needed and decided to keep my research with me.

It was in a bag, that was in a bag, which was in my backpack, which I wrapped with cloth a few times to make it fully closed.

I tightened my scarf and rubbed my gloved hands together.

I was just walking over to Korra and Mako when I heard the hum of a engine.

I turned to look who it was and saw Korra's dad.

Korra's dad and Unalaq starting fighting about Korra going to the South Pole and if her dad was joining us or not.

I decided to rather not go near this drama but go back to my camel.

I concentrate on patting his head and giving it a Pepe talk to please not throw me off it's back.

Korra and Mako climbed onto Naga and walked closer to me.

I hear them mentioning the ever storm and wince.

I read about it and vaguely witnessed it from the outside but I was prepared to try and get through it.

If this whole mission with the spirits was over I could maybe even relax a bit before going back to the ships which I really needed.

"Guys! Hey, wait for me!"I hear Bolin shout followed by the sound of a engine coming closer.

I quickly look towards him and see him driving in on a snow mobile.

"Check it out.I'm travelling in style."he says and reves the engine making him jerk forward.

I walk up to him and touch the front of the snowmobile.

"Not bad."I say moving towards the control panels.

"Okay, I'm sorry.Still Getting used to that throttle."he says making me roll my eyes.

I elbow him a bit in his chest to get him to move back so I can examine it more closely.

This thing was brand new.

Like straight out of the factory new.

"Uh, where'd you get the ride?"I ask.

"Varrick. He's awesome.He also gave me this fancy snowsuit.It's inflatable with an internal heater, emergency beacon, and food ration pouch.I mean, if I get lost, I can survive in this thing for, like, like, a month."He says making me smirk.

"Wanna put that to the test? I'll gladly leave you out there."I joke and look at him.

"Ha-Ha so funny.Who wants some freeze-dried cucumber-quarts?Nobody?Did I interrupt a conversation?"he asks as Pabu steals the cucumber thingys.

He looks at me and I nod slightly.

"No, the conversation is over.Dad, come if you want.Just don't interfere with my training."Korra says and walks off with Naga.

I stop inspecting the panels and move to the side car.

Seems pretty legit.

"Does this sidecar have the capacity for two passengers?"I hear Eska ask from behind me making me jump in fright and look at her.

"Should"I shrug after overcoming the shock.

"Sure does,"Bolin says and pats the seat."But, uh, who's gonna drive?"he asks making me chuckle and pat his shoulder.

"Good luck, bro."I laugh and walk off in the direction of my camel.

I climb onto it and we all start making our way to the South Pole.

After a bit I get the hang of riding it and walk up next to Bolin who looks like he's is in great pain.

Mako, who was walking next to me on his camel seems to get the same idea and follows.

We each go to either side of Bolin and smirk at him.

"Enjoying yourself there, Bo?"I chuckle.

He glares at me but carries on pouting.

"Well, what do you know? Looks like—"Mako starts but is interrupted by Bolin.

"Go away, guys"he pouts making us laugh.

Mako and I both get our camels to move a bit faster so that we are now in front of Bolin.

"Still good, sis?"He asks.

"Never been better but I have been warmer."I joke and take a deep breath.

I've always loved expeditions but I usually preferred the warmer climates.

We all catch up to Korra and Unalaq as they were walking a bit faster than us and focus our attention where they were looking.

The fog clears up a bit and the objects of our attention are revealed.

"What are those?"Bolin asks.

"Dark spirits"I say as Mako moves his camel fully infront of mine as if to shield me from their view.

"Let's keep moving.We have to find a safe place to set up camp."Korra's father shouts and speeds in front of us.

After a bit we find a cave and decide this is decent enough for a night.

We tie all the camels outside and Mako creates a fire with the wood Tonraq collected.

I sit in between Mako and Bolin, happily sipping on some soup when I hear Korra ask about the dark spirits.

"Can we not talk about the dark spirits, please?"Bolin asks moving closer to Eska.

"My brother doesn't like ghost stories."I explain looking at Bolin.

"Don't worry.I will protect you my feeble turtle-duck."Eska says making me look at Mako in amusement.

"Thank you."Bolin says hugging her closer.

"Sadly, this isn't a ghost story.This is real."Unalaq says, making Bolin pull up his hood.

I straighten my back, listening closely.

I've always been a sucker for story telling and if the story was true, even better.

When we were little Mako would always try to read to me before bed, well he tried, not being able to read well himself.

Unalaq goes to tell us that spirits are angry because of Tonraq and how he ended up in the South Pole.

"You should of told her a long time ago."Unalaq says to his brother.

"Told me what?"Korra asks.

"I left the North Pole because...I was banished."he says making my mouth drop open.

I did not know that.

"You were banished from the north?Why?"Korra asks shocked.

"Because I almost destroyed the entire tribe."he says and carries on telling us the story of how he was banished.

"Whoa.So you were supposed to be chief, then he became chief.No wonder you guys don't like each other."Bolin says making me elbow him and Mako looking at him like he was stupid.

"Ow!What?Isn't that what happened?"Bolim says making me shoot him a look that says 'shut up'

It's none of his business.

"I can't believe you kept this from me."Korra says to her father standing up.

"I was protecting you from the shame I brought on the family."Tonraq defends himself.

"Why do you keep hiding things from me and then telling me it's for my own protection?I'm tired of you protecting me."Korra shouts and walks out.

"Korra"her father shouts after her.

She comes back after a bit and we all go to sleep.

I'm woken up by Mako shaking me telling me that it's time to go soon.

After we all drink some more soup we climb onto our individual transportation methods and carry on travelling towards the centre.

It was slightly snowing now making me shiver.

I was walking next to Mako again till we stopped at the edge of a cliff.

The sight infront of made me rethink my choices but to be fair what did I think something called the everstorm was supposed to look like.

"I think we're here."Mako shouts making Korra and Unalaq walk up next to me.

The wind was now blowing hard and lightning struck in-front of us.

You got to be kidding me.

The others pulled up there hoods and we made our way down the cliff.

"Stay close to me, Sophie."Mako tells me.

"You don't have to tell me that twice."I say and take my surrounding in.

Korra stopped in front of me making me stop and listen closely for any odd noises.

"We must keep moving."Unalaq shouts over the wind.

We don't move but stand still and keep on listening.

I grab the bracelet on my right arm ready to activate it at any second.

Last time I faced a spirit I was unprepared this time I knew it was coming.

"I really don't like this."I hear Bolin say from behind us.

"Bolin, just stay calm.There's no reason to—"Mako says but is interrupted by two spirits that jump out of the ground and onto the back of each of our camels.

I let out a smal scream as the spirit cuts my bags off the camel and jumps back into the ground.

I activate my bracelets and feel the beads start to move in the pouch that is attached to my side.

Spirits start to attack Korra but her dad seems to have that handled.

Well as best as you could handle evil spirits but the effort is appreciated.

I try to calm my camel down that is right now trying to throw me off it's back.

"I thought we had talked about this."I shout and hold on.

"Oh, it's in the engine! Sophie fix it."Bolin shouts from somewhere.

"Can't you see I'm busy right now."I shout just as Bolin speeds past me.

"Get out of it, Bolin."I shout just as I'm thrown of the camels back.

"Go help, Korra!"I shout as Mako jumps off his camel and turns towards me.

Mako nods and runs towards Korra who is busy fighting against 4 spirits.

I quickly get up and tighten my backpack and start controlling ny beads.

Let's do this.

A smaller spirit attacks me but I manage to fend it off with my beads.

I use a mixture of different bending poses to fight it off.

The spirit gets distracted for just a second which I use to push it away from me with the help of the beads.

It's pushed right into Korra's water spirit bending spiral and I watch it glow.

The spirit breaks the spiral and charges at her while the one I was fighting combine's itself with the rest and charges at her.

I watch shocked as it attacks her and pushes her to the ground.

Before I can run to help her, Unalaq steps in and spirit bends it making it a light spirit again

I have to start writing this all down for my report.

I watch for a second to make sure everyone's okay when I remember Bolin.

"Is everyone okay?"Mako asks and turns when he hears Bolin scream.

I watch as Bolin and the twins jump out of the snowmobile, saving themselves.

Bolin tumbles down the mountain in his inflated suit while the twins create ice boots and glide down the mountain gracefully.

Bolin slides up next to us and Mako stops him with his boot.

I pick up Pabu who was situated on top of Bolin and hold him close to me.

"Uh, can someone please deflate me?"Bolin asks making Eska pierce his suit with an ice pick.

Mako walks over to the camels and sighs.

"Oh great,There goes our equipment.Now what are we supposed to do?"Mako asks making me think.

Well if you think about it we could survive a couple of days without food and water.

Taking that we've only been away from civilisation for just about a day.

We'd definitely survive if everything were to go smoothly for the rest of the trip.

"There's only one thing to do.We have to turn back."Tonraq says crossing his arms.

"No.The solstice is tonight.We're so close."Unalaq says in disagreement.

"This mission is too dangerous.We're leaving."Tonraq says with finality.

"No, dad.You're leaving."Korra says.

No one speaks much after that and we all try to regroup our selves.

I'm busy patting my camel when I hear footsteps behind me.

"Don't you look deflated."I say to a pouting Bolin and smirk.

"Ha-Ha funny.Do you think you can fix it?"Bolin asks nodding his head to the few parts that were left of the snowmobile.

I stare at them before I start cackling.

"I'm a mechanic, Not a sorcerer, Bo."I say shaking my head.

"But your like a genius with this stuff."he says with a pout.

"Yeah I can design and build a heck lot of stuff with the right materials but you can't even call that material."I say fully turning to him.

"Yeah your right."he says defeated.

Korra's father leaves after a bit leaving us with Unalaq.

Mako gives his camel to the twins and sits with Korra on Naga while I get to keep my camel.

I was walking besides Naga till they started fighting again which I was really not in the mood for and decided to rather fall back a bit.

"We've arrived."Unalaq announces as the forest comes into our view.

"Trees driven in ice."I say climbing of my camel and taking it all in.

"It's just like the scared forest Tonraq destroyed in the north."Unalaq says walking up to Korra.

"So what do I do?"Korra asks.

"You must find your way to the heart of the forest where the dormant spirit portal lies.From here, you're on your own."Unalaq says making me look back at the forest.

"Wait a second. there's no way she's going in alone."Mako says stepping closer to Korra.

"Yeah, if she goes, we go too"Bolin shouts stepping in front of her.

If they go, I will stay.I know what I am capable of and what every is in there, is stronger that me.

I'd be useless in there.

"The avatar must go alone."Unalaq states.

"but I don't have any connection with the spirits.In fact, it seems like they hate me."Korra says stepping in front of Unalaq.

"You have to believe in yourself as I believe in you.What is it?"Unalaq asks Korra.

"I guess I'm just so used to people telling me how to do things that I forgot what it was like to have someone trust me."she says making my eyebrows furrow.

That wasn't true.
I have trust in her, we all have trust in her.
We've always had trust in her.

"Korra, all the past avatars live on inside of you.Let them guide you.Let them help you find the light in the dark."he says as they both look back at the forest.

"Wait here.I'll be okay."Korra says and starts walking towards the forest.

"Good luck."Mako says which I echo.

We watch as she walks into the forest and out of our sight.

I think for a moment before deciding to start writing down my research and starting my report.

I spend the next 30 minutes writing down key points and roughly sketch the forest in front of me.

Also writing down any improvements I could think of for my beads and anything else mechanically related.

"Hey Phie"I hear someone say from in front of me and look up.

Mako stood there with a concerned look in his eyes.

"Yeah?"I ask closing my book.

"It's been a whole while now.Do you think Korra's alright?"he asks me probably looking for some reassurance.

Just as I'm about to reply a bright beam shoots out of the forest and into the sky making me gasp and stare up at the sky in wonder as spirits start dancing in it.

"I think she's doing just fine, Mako."I say standing up, putting my notebook away trying to mesmerise to scene in front of me.

"I can't believe it."Mako says looking into the sky.

"It's beautiful."Bolin say wiping away a tear.

A few minutes after this Korra walks out of the forest making Bolin and me run towards her.

"Hey, Korra, you're back!"Bolin shouts as we run.

"Hey, Korra's back."I shout over my shoulder and tackle her into a hug.

Bolin hugs her too but is encased in ice only a second after making me turn around in confusion.

I see him sliding towards Eska and nod.

Ah, makes sense.

"Why are you initiating physical contact with another woman other than your sister?"she asks making me snort.

Bolin doesn't reply but rather let's out a nervous laugh.

I feel Korra put a hand on my shoulder and walk off towards Unalaq.

I watch as Eska unfreezes Bolin and let's him face plant right into the floor where he lays in defeat.

I laugh to my self quietly and shake my head.

I hope you want to marry her Bolin, because you're going to have a hard time breaking up with her.

The twins walk off while Bolin still lays on the floor.

I sigh and walk over.

"Come on get up, save whatever dignity you have left."I say holding out a hand.

He groans but takes it anyway.

The night goes by quickly and before I know it, I'm sitting on the back of my camel watching the sun rise.

We reach the edge of the southern water tribe and look over the bay.

I squint my eyes and look out onto the sea.

A fleet of army ships had arrived.

"These aren't United Nation ships."I say and look at the group.

"You're right...They're mind."Unalaq says looking back at me.

I gulp and look back at the fleets.

"These are almost all the northern troops."I state, shooting a look at Korra.

I remember his fleets from my last visit to the north and this was definitely almost all of them.

"What are your Northern troops doing here?"Korra asks climbing off Naga.

"Opening the spirit portal was only the first step in getting the southern water tribe back on its righteous path.There's more difficult work to be done before our two tribes are truly United."Unalaq says making me frown.

He isn't here to bring peace, he's here to get power.

And that can only mean one thing.

War

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 74 24
Bolin x O.C. Slow-Burn* Sakari has been living in Republic city for the last 10 years. Ever since she got to Republic city her biggest dream is to b...
6.9K 141 8
A hundred years ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. That changed, though, after Avatar Roku died and Fire Lord Sozin launched the Great...
623K 25.3K 60
An Avatar: The Last Airbender Fanfiction (Zuko X OC) "And lastly, we are free, but we are not our own persons." At this, the student frowned and...
4.9K 178 29
"You love him, don't you? I see the way you look at him. It's like he's your whole world. I can't possibly blame you for falling in love with someone...