A Day In September - BTS Zomb...

Door wethenaive

It was finally time for the earth to rid itself of the most toxic parasites to ever plague its soil: humans. ... Meer

WARNING ⚠️
Intro - Kuru ⚕
1. The Bright Bleak
2: Phoebe
3: Projection
4: Violet Bloom
5: Just Shy of Bratty
6: Rain
7: Stuck
8: Rotting Flesh
9: Gone
10: Raccoons
11: Until the Very End
12: Merry-Go-Round
13: Unpredictable
14: Admitting Failure
15: Playing it Cool
16: Delusional
17: Life Goes On
18: Dead to You
19: Muse
20. Lost
21: Crusade
22. Good Soup
23: Sixth Sense
24. The Woman, the Myth, the Legend
25: Judgement Day
26: Ugly Duckling
27: Poison Ivy
28: Butthurt
29: The Locals
30: Board Games
31: Eat My Sh-
32: Get Ugly
33: No Other Way
34: Peace Offering
35: Calm After the Storm
36: Off the Leash
37: Fog
38: Not Worth It
39: Monks on a Mission
40: Lovesick Drunk
41: Ab Intra
42: Lost in the Game
43: Close at Heart
45: The Catalyst
46: The Big Parade and the Nuances of Adulthood
47: Not Your Typical House Maid
48: Pushed Aside
49: Burn Book
50: Let It Burn
51: Racing Hearts
52: Stained Reputation
53: The One You Need
54: Vanished
55: A Late Goodbye
56: Autumn Leaf
57: Last of Kin
58: Envy?
59: Polaroid
60 PT.1: Stranded
60 PT. 2: Lost at Sea
61: I Saw...Life

44: Men at Work

184 16 17
Door wethenaive

"I think it would be best if you stay here."

Mara kept a straight face as Namjoon spoke to her despite her desire to frown. She simply stepped back and took her place beside Jin, his sympathetic smile making her feel slightly better. Of course she wasn't happy to be left behind when all she wanted to do was help, especially with such an ambitious and onerous task. She had the strength and willpower, but her strength could not compare to that of the other men; it was a bitter reality, one she was willing to accept. Mara still had a lot to learn. Of course, she'd made it her mission to grow stronger every passing day, but there were some things she still had to overcome, some things that were out of her capabilities.

"I don't say this to be oppressive in any way," Namjoon reassured, "I think us men have responsibilities," he cleared his throat, growing awkward, "And I trust you'll keep a good eye on things back here."

Though internally taken aback, Mara wondered why it had taken him so long to be a man, as he had mentioned. Why, after so long of making her miserable could he finally say that she was good to keep around, to keep an eye on the place they called home? It was strange, but nonetheless she was grateful for his acknowledgment. She appreciated him saying it with everyone present, regardless of how out of his comfort zone it was.

"Jungkook," Namjoon turned to the boy, "Give her your walkie. I'd like to keep in touch while we're away. I'm not sure how long they'll want us out there with them."

Jungkook stretched the walkie out to her, a small smile on his face as Mara took it from him. She'd never had the radio in her possession, for only her to use. She was being given so many responsibilities lately that it was hard to react to each one. As trivial as they were, as much as Mara wanted to pretend it meant nothing to her, it was heart warming to finally be fully integrated as one of them. Many issues had yet to be resolved, and conversations were not being had in regards to the issue that still bothered Mara, but little by little, things were moving forward. However, a part of Mara was still on edge, waiting for things to regress and for them to go back to square one.

Mara stared at the walkie, focusing her vision back and realizing Jungkook still stood just a foot away. The hand that gripped the radio was enveloped by Jungkook's, and he nonchalantly taught her how to use it. Mara drew back timidly, nodding with reddened cheeks and a pout that did not go unnoticed. Jungkook chuckled, stepping back onto the wagon.

"Right. Don't wait up for us. Expect us to be gone for a day or two," Namjoon sighed, "We'll let you know."

"Don't overwork yourselves," Jin softly warned, "You have a habit of doing that."

Namjoon lightly chuckled, nodding, "We'll try. You guys stay safe."

Mara pursed her lips, wishing that Jungkook would come back so she could hug him and say goodbye. She looked up, meeting his gaze. She couldn't hide the concern in her eyes, even when she looked at Jimin, who gently smiled back at her.

God, I miss Jimin.

The two of them, as close as they'd gotten, had a very odd habit of avoiding each other when things went wrong. At any disagreement or turning point, the both of them seemed to distance themselves from each other in an attempt to keep their friendship from falling apart. Maybe it was a good thing, to take a step back and evaluate the situation, only to come back when both were in a better mood to tackle the issue. Or maybe it was a bad thing, and to be in a loop where you weren't sure who would approach who first, of who would take accountability first, was not ideal. She wondered if eventually they'd fade into nothing, having resolved nothing and ending their friendship without having said anything. It was the complete with Jungkook, who refused to avoid her even when situation was critical. It reassured Mara to know Jungkook would not easily give up.

As independent as Mara was, she was intrinsically flawed, as was everyone. She was still learning how to socialize and create healthy relationships, how to defend herself, when it was okay to interject and when it was best for her to remain silent. Mara wished it was easy to maintain a friendship, but in the environment she was in, the cards she was dealt with were on the verge of worst case scenario.

Though Mara wanted to say goodbye, she could only muster a wave and tight lipped smile. The two boys took whatever they could get, and the five boys left camp, Mara closing and opening the gate for them and watching them disappear beyond the line of endless trees. She couldn't deny that she was crushed. For a very long time, she had been accompanying them everywhere: on supply runs, on trips to Dong-Seok's camp. Even when she stayed home, she was always with Jungkook and Jimin. She loved Jin, of course, but he wasn't as close to her as Jungkook was. Jin was a busy man and had many responsibilities, she couldn't take him away from that simply because she was lonely. Of course, she did so with Jungkook but that was because she was more comfortable with bothering him.

Mara dejectedly climbed back down the ladder, pursed lips and blank stare facing an amused Jin, who stood just feet in front of her with a knowing look.

"Why the long face?" He giggled.

Mara lightly punched his arm, Jin's laughter growing louder.

"I knew you would miss them. That's why I asked Namjoon to give you a radio. I knew you'd want to hear that they were okay," he said, refraining from teasing her. She simply nodded, staring down at the radio longingly. They'd left mere minutes ago and yet she hoped for a call in—even if just a single word.

The motive for their departure was pivotal, and it very much stung that Mara could not be a part of it.

Hoseok had returned to Hyunjae's camp a week prior, bearing the news that Namjoon had finally agreed to the conditions set by the mayor to aid with the construction of the new camp in exchange for supplies and possibly even a reserved spot in their camp. Of course, the latter had not been thoroughly discussed, but from what Hoseok had said, Hyunjae had heavily hinted to it.

In order to for plans to be brought to fruition, many things had to be set in motion and finalized before the first wall could go up. One of these things was to aid in the removal of the brutes that had been gathered at the center of town. It was the plan to lead them off the bridge into the Zion Canyon, but the measures to be taken before they could even begin had to be meticulously thought through and accurate. It was a risky task, one that would take a lot of manpower to flesh out. A small sacrifice Namjoon's group had to make was to send out five and not four of his physically strongest people out to aid the effort—including himself. This would entail leaving only three people back at camp. Namjoon had made it clear that Jin, Yoongi, and Mara were not seen as weak, but rather that their abilities were best suited for staying at the lodge, where the majority of their responsibilities lay.

Mara had been entrusted with keeping the lodge safe, from both strangers and freaks. She was still a newbie with her gun, but she'd been training with Namjoon for a bit, so she wasn't completely new. Jin had also been training, as was Yoongi, and it provided a new sense of safety Mara had never known before. She was confident that her newly trained skill would come in handy, and despite her hesitation in using it against humans, she was beginning to understand the gravity of making tough, time-sensitive decisions for the greater good. Jin had been tasked with simple upkeep of food, water, and night watch. Yoongi had been given other daily tasks as well as keeping an ear out on the radio. Yoongi was a bit hesitant to be one of the three staying back, but when told that Mara would also stay, his shoulders seemed to relax a little, and the apprehension dissolved little by little.

It was a large camp to look over, but with a (hopefully) uneventful day or two ahead, there would be nothing too burdensome to deal with.

I'm going to be talking to the horses.

Then again, when do I not?

The lodge felt emptier than ever. Such a big house with many rooms and only very few people inhabiting it had Mara feeling like she was back at her old place. The echoes of every small movement and the faintest of hums, the creaking of a settling house and the ringing of an omnipresent silence roused ambivalent, overwhelming feelings. Despite this, Mara found that it was growing manageable to really ground herself in that situation. All she had to do was recall conversations and memories that had happened inside the lodge, regardless if recalled with bitterness or pleasure. These memories seemed to overlap the traumatic experiences that had befallen her back in the other lodge.

After clearing the chicken coop of laid eggs, the girl went up to Jin, who had busied himself at the greenhouse—his second home. Mara hovered beside him, watching his efficient hands act on muscle memory. He'd been doing this for so long that it had become second nature, and she wished she could be as versatile as he was. One day she would be. She'd be so skilled at everything that she'd be an unstoppable force, and nobody would doubt her then.

"Holy shit!"

A startled Jin jumped back, wide eyes and stiff hand holding the trimmers in self-defense. He sighed and relaxed when realizing it was only Mara, and he stared at her unimpressed with a hand in his hip.

"You've gotta start talking or else things can go south very fast. I'm a threat when I have these!" Jin raised the trimmers, playfully snipping them in her direction. Mara offered an amused smile, bringing up her hands from behind her back to reveal the pen and paper in her hands. The tiny notebook made for the perfect travel size, and she found writing out her words instead of speaking to be a lot more comfortable.

Jin shook his head but ultimately said nothing, caving in to her denial to speak for a month now. Mara still was unsure where the sudden speechlessness came from, only able to attribute it to a sudden occurrence of overwhelming tragedy that had become increasingly difficult to accept, prompting a state of silence in which she attempted to process everything. It really did make her feel better to know that her mind and body were trying to help her understand even when she felt lost.

"Need any help?"

Jin strained his eyes to read the words, and Mara peered over it, hoping she wasn't too much of a messy writer.

"You have nice handwriting," Jin complimented, noticing her worried expression, "And I'm fine. Don't you have other things to do, angel?" Mara playfully grimaced at the nickname, even though she was secretly comforted by it. The way he said it always seemed to calm her anxious mind. She shook her stubbornly and took the notebook from him, writing under her first scribbles.

No. I want to learn about garden.

Before she could give him the notebook, Jin snorted, "You found a way to talk without talking. The things you do to avoid it," he shook his head with a chuckle. Mara whacked him with the notebook before handing it to him.

"If I wanted to, I could close my eyes and you'd have to talk," Jin teasingly warned, snatching the notebook, "And I can teach you, but why do you want to learn all of a sudden?" He asked, tilting his head inquisitively.

Mara stood still for a moment to think, ultimately having only one answer. She scribbled it down, scratching it out before writing again just below it.

To learn for myse-

To take care of it if one day you can't.

Jin ahh'd, nodding along as he read her answer. He contemplated for a moment. He seemed to find it hard to relinquish and pass down his proudest achievement. The greenhouse was his pride and joy, and for him to think about not being able to take care of it was a troublesome thought.

"When I was bed ridden all that time ago, I enjoyed being in bed the whole day, but I missed my plants. In my painful, delusional state I kind of believed they missed me too," Jin somberly told, causing Mara to regret ever asking to help if it was going to upset Jim this much.

"It feels like my garden is my world and I've got to take care of it better than..." Jin gulped, attempting to smile and laugh his pain off, "I can't let this garden down. I gotta keep everyone fed. I'll teach you soon, but I'm up and running right now and I want to be the one who deals with it for as long as I can," he nodded, "It's one of the only things I have left."

Mara gave a reassuring grin, scribbling down in her notebook.

You are good father. Nobody can do it like you.

Upon reading those words, Jin's spirit seemed to lighten, and his face relaxed. He had been stiff before but her words seemed to comfort him. She understood why he was so attached to his plants, and she understood why he found it hard to let others take over. Mara wrote a few words of encouragement to Jin before heading out of the greenhouse, ready to continue her chores and other duties. She noticed a smiling Yoongi at the stables, feeding the horses. She hadn't interacted much with Yoongi after finding out about the peace offering. Strangely enough, although he was one of the people that knew, she did not hold him accountable for almost anything. He had been a victim of the same harsh treatment from the cult, and was a target who the cult would get their hands on one way or another. Both of them had been doomed, and there was no way she could simply brush off his fear and acquiescence. There was no lesson to be learned when Yoongi suffered just as Mara had, no doubt about that.

"The steering wheel is stiff as fuck, it's rusted over."

"It shouldn't be too hard to move it, we can lift from the back and switch to the front so we can push it over."

"We can't do that for every car, though. We'll tear our backs up."

Namjoon held his chin in contemplation, "What other choice do we have?"

Namjoon and his men had been working hard, from morning until the afternoon, their bodies sore from moving cars and other large barricades, from running up and down the streets without much rest. After meeting up with Oliver and Owen, the group was assigned to help with the blocking of roads that deviated from the main street—the street that lead directly to the Zion Canyon. The effort was not only undertaken by Namjoon's men, and the help of several people, both from Hyunjae and Gong's community, had been solicited. It was quite baffling for the group to see many active, friendly and living people all in one place. It was surreal to experience how everyone came together for a similar desired cause, one that would bring forth the erection of a new town people could call home. It would be the safe haven a fallen government had promised to build, but had failed rather pathetically at, ultimately losing control of everything and everyone at once. Even with battle weapons and war vehicles, the government had failed. Here the people were, some years later, rebuilding the very structure of humanity once again.

Namjoon certainly felt the burden on his shoulders—although it was distributed evenly amongst everyone— for his involvement. If he had to risk leaving only three out of the eight people of his group back at the lodge, with only a walkie to communicate for almost two days, he would make sure that it wouldn't be a fruitless venture. He supervised his group's effort, making sure they weren't falling behind or getting in other people's ways. They hadn't personally met anyone else other than Owen and Oliver, and Namjoon wasn't exactly too desperate to do so. He was goal oriented, wishing to remain focused on the task at hand instead of getting too comfortable. Formalities could be saved for later, during a break or when things got done, and thus he insisted for his group to bear the same ideas.

Everyone else seemed to know each other, all getting along and often chatting with one another over building tops and amidst pushing cars. This left Namjoon's group as the reserved ones out of the bunch. Not that he minded so much. However, despite steering clear of prolonged, unnecessary conversations, people seemed to be drawn to the new faces.

"Hey!"

The stranger bore a bright smile, their welcoming tone easily ignored by Taehyung and Hoseok, but received politely (kind of) by the other three. Namjoon was a bit more stern, and it seemed to come off quite intimidating. The girl, wearing a hat over her short and wavy hair, smiled over at Jungkook, her arm extending the object in her hands to him. Her face was a bit stained from old dirt and grime on cars, and she wore a slightly dirtied coat, a small bead of sweat on her forehead from what could only be assumed as hard work.

Seeing her, Jungkook was immediately reminded of Mara. He kind of wished she would have joined them, but it would not have been reasonable to do so. Jungkook also seemed to visibly worry over the several tens of thousands of freaks nearby, which had been barricaded inside the city center, awaiting the escort and leaving many to monitor the large horde. The possibility of then breaking out, albeit low, was nonetheless still present, and Jungkook was glad that Mara had stayed home.

"We've been using car dollies and car jacks. I'll bring you the dollies but here's the jack," she beamed, stepping back as soon as Jungkook took it from her hands. He awkwardly nodded to her, passing the car jack to Namjoon.

"Thanks," Namjoon sternly replied, eyeing the car jack and stepping over beside the car. The girl gave a thumbs up before retreating to retrieve the rest of the tools.

"They're nice," Jimin distractedly commented, aiding Taehyung in moving the smallest, manageable cars out of the way while they were brought the dollies.

"We came completely unprepared," Jungkook sighed, "We look like idiots."

"You've always looked like an idiot," Taehyung blankly retorted, receiving a glare from Jungkook. The latter ultimately rolled his eyes, looking over as Hoseok barricaded some of the spaces left between the cars, wedging in them the metal trash bins and makeshift barricades from junk he brought out of abandoned stores and buildings. Namjoon helped Hoseok, leaving Jungkook to wait patiently for the girl that had promised to bring the dollies.

"Here you guys go!"

Jungkook turned, noticing that beside her, also carrying two of the four dollies, was another male, his tattooed neck and face jumping out at Jungkook. He quietly set them down, somber expression looking up at Jungkook, awaiting for him to take them. The girl still stared at Jungkook, beaming when he finally made eye contact.

"It should be a lot easier to move them," the girl said, "It'll get the work done faster," she chuckled.

Jungkook awkwardly smiled, eyeing the guy besides her who narrowed his eyes at both of them. Jungkook cleared his throat, "Thanks."

"No problem..." she hesitated for a moment, her face suddenly turning rosy, "My name is Haneul. And this is my brother Sam," she gestured to the male beside her, and Jungkook uncomfortably nodded to him. He refused to reciprocate, standing stiffly with his chin held high and shoulders back. Sam didn't seem too enthusiastic to meet him, but neither was Jungkook. For the sake of Haneul, he remained polite.

"My name is Jungkook," he motioned to the rest, who were busied by cranking the jack and placing the heavier cars on the dollies, "That is Namjoon, our leader. That's Taehyung, Hoseok and Jimin. Very nice to meet you." Upon looking back at his group, they seemed to not give a single care in the world about Sam and Haneul, completely ignoring their existence as they got to work instead. Jungkook wanted nothing more than to avoid socializing, but he was stuck between curtly ending the conversation and possibly creating tension, and continuing the conversation as to establish rapport. He couldn't ruin his group's reputation, but then again his friends weren't doing much to make themselves look good, either.

Haneul hadn't bothered to look away from Jungkook, eyes glued to the latter as a small smile took up her face. Jungkook was not blind—to the look Haneul gave her, nor to the daggers Sam was staring at him.

God, it's my first day here. I'd rather be bullied.

"Yah! Are you just going to stand there all day?!" Taehyung snapped, narrowing his eyes at Jungkook. He noticed the pleading look on Jungkook's face, eyeing the siblings next to him warily.

"I should get back to work," Jungkook sheepishly chuckled, bowing to the siblings.

"Hope to see you around, Jungkook," Haneul giggled, suddenly dragged away by Sam, who had rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"Make sure to return those to me after you're done today!" Haneul called out as she grew farther away, her brother unrelenting as he took her by the wrist. They disappeared into the distance over a small crowd of people and around the corner of a building, leaving Jungkook to sigh in relief at the end of an excruciatingly uncomfortable encounter with new people. He'd been told by Namjoon to simply focus on the task, and Jungkook was skeptical of his demand, but now he knew why.

I hate people.

"They're really nice," Jimin teased, chuckling when Jungkook made a face.

"Too friendly," Jungkook promptly replied, rolling his shoulders back and forth as he prepped for pushing the heavy vehicles. Jungkook got to work, and the group moved down from street to street, barricading all possible exists that freaks could slip through. With new tools available, they were able to quickly move along, becoming efficient in their work. The sun graced their backs over a few hours, beginning to slip back into the horizon after another several hours of work. They grew closer and closer to the bridge, but everyone still had a long way to go. It wouldn't be an easy task, but just another day would surely bring sizable progress.

The group was exhausted by the time they were done, all huffing as they sat by the fire. On the roofs of a tight knit of apartment buildings and homes within the city, the groups of men and women at work had gathered to eat and rest. These groups were split amongst four buildings that were close enough to be jumped to and fro, creating an easily accessible and safe environment.  Four separate fires had been ignited over neatly cut blocks of wood, atop which pots of water boiled and food was grilled. The fire crackled, hardly interrupted by the abrupt but gentle gusts of wind. The stars came out once again, littering the sky with scintillating glitter than never failed to amaze the naked eye and open mind.

The five men discretely stared hungrily at the chicken kebabs splayed over the fire, rotated slowly by the hands of the main coordinators that were in charge of the efforts, and who had initiated the fire. They had announced that due to everyone's collaboration, the food and water would be abundantly provided. This was music to the ears of Namjoon's group, and a change in their everyday food menu was bound to bring good moods. Not that they didn't love Jin's soup...but...change was nice every now and then.

The quiet laughter and chatter of the people provided a serene atmosphere, releasing the tension that hung over all those who had worked that day. Guards had been set at the lobbies of the buildings, watching over their willing and happy workers. The guns they brandished were intimidating, and thus nobody really worried about being in any imminent danger.

Jimin sat beside Jungkook, sipping his water with a lack of interest in his dull eyes. He had spent his hours working nonstop, hoping that his thoughts about Taehyung would be pushed back for a later time when he had the mindset to really give it some thought. He genuinely missed Taehyung, and working beside him made it all the more difficult to focus. Now that he sat quietly, his thoughts came rushing back. Jimin glanced to the other end of the line the boys sat in, taking a peek at the side of Taehyung's face. The glow of the fire made his features appear gentle, and he appeared harmless. Because he personally knew Taehyung, Jimin was amused by how far from the truth that was. It was Taehyung's flaw: his possessive and frequently harsh nature. Taehyung was a force to be reckoned with, but his aggression was often aimed at the wrong people. His perception of people's intentions was, on occasion, faulty. His stubborn mind was tough to change.

Despite all this, Taehyung had a steadfast loyalty to Jimin. Jimin had grown up with Taehyung, both leaving the orphanage and making ends meet with what little money they made from working two jobs. Jimin showed Taehyung what it meant to be loved as a person, to be shown care and affection.

I don't know where I went wrong.

Soon enough, Jimin's stare couldn't be ignored by Taehyung, who felt its intensity from where he sat. Upon looking, the two made eye contact. Jimin was caught off guard, but he offered a tight lipped smile before staring ahead again. Taehyung bit his lip, drinking from his cup and staring at the sky with a disheartened sigh.

Minutes passed and the boys were finally offered food, all receiving their own kebab of chicken, tomatoes and bell peppers. It was a heavenly combination, and the boys hummed in satisfaction as they ate—rather slowly as to enjoy every bite. Namjoon looked pleased, eyeing his group and nodding in approval at their content faces. He took the first bite of his own only after everyone began to eat, feeling it to be incumbent for his people to eat first before him.

On the same rooftop, at one corner of the building sat Owen and Oliver, both glancing at a busied Hoseok. They waited patiently for Hoseok to look up from his food, and when he finally did so, they eagerly waved him over. Hoseok's lips formed into the smallest of smiles, and he excused himself from his group, standing and heading over to the twins. The twins bore warm smiles, their eyes glinting at the sight of Hoseok. Their happiness at seeing him made Hoseok's grin widen. He hadn't seen them in a while since his agreement with Hyunjae, and now here they were again.

The twins pulled out a bucket, sitting it upside down for Hoseok to sit. All three sat huddled together, like children at the playground. Hoseok sighed contently, taking another bite of his kebab and wiggling his brows at the twins.

Oliver timidly chuckled, "You look content."

Hoseok shrugged, "I haven't had chicken in a very long time."

The twins simultaneously raised their brows, eyes slightly widening, "Are you kidding? You don't have chickens?" Owen scoffed.

"No, we do, but we don't eat them until we have enough chickens so that we're able to sacrifice one for our craving," Hoseok mused.

The twins nodded, "I expect it is unpleasant," Oliver softly remarked. Hoseok shrugged once more, "I don't really mind."

Owen took a bite of his food, speaking while chewing, "Im glad you're here. How long has it been since we've sat by the fire together, eating chicken, talking about life?"

"A long time," Hoseok softly spoke, "I miss the old times. I miss not having to worry so much." Hoseok's good mood slowly diminished, leaving him with a bittersweet nostalgia. The twins noticed this, sharing a look.

"What plagues you?" Oliver tenderly asked, sympathetic eyes on Hoseok, who exhaled through his nose in a woeful laugh.

"Constant awareness. Always on my toes. Once I step off of that watchtower, it's back to a silent and empty life," Hoseok slowly replied, gaze distant. His friends frowned, despising the hopeless sea of his dark eyes and leaning forward in unison.

"Come back to Hyunjae's camp," Owen spoke in a hushed tone, "You'll feel a lot better if you're with us."

This suggestion did not bode well with Hoseok, his brows overtaken by a deep frown. He sighed in frustration and shook his head in disagreement.

"I'm not going back. Not when Penelope is engaged to my brother. Even if she wasn't, I can't just leave Namjoon. I might feel empty there but...I'm loyal to them."

"Don't you want a break? We've been moved over to the other unit with the construction team. If anything, we see them about once or twice a month for council meetings," Owen persuaded, Oliver nodding in agreement. Owen leaned closer to meet Hoseok's distracted gaze, "That's nothing, bro. She's nothing. Just some chick who doesn't deserve a single thought of yours dedicated to her."

Hoseok shook his head slowly, "I know that but-"

"We'll make sure to introduce you to someone better," Owen raised his brows cheekily, attempting to entice Hoseok. Hoseok scoffed, a grin spreading across his lips. He didn't want to smile, but the proposition was entertaining.

"In theory, that definitely would help, but what are the odds a blind date will work? I can't run through all the women until one likes me," Hoseok ridiculed. Owen gave him a pointed look, to which Hoseok laughed.

"There is no incentive to celibacy," Oliver shyly input, a blush coming over his cheeks that was nearly invisible in the glow of the fire, "You are charming in your own regards. Women love men who aren't very agreeable."

Hoseok laughed once more, "What are you trying to say, Oliver?"

Oliver chuckled, "Eventually one of them will fall for your charm, given that you have any in the first place," he timidly teased, earning a light kick from Hoseok as the three laughed.

The laughter slowly died, and Hoseok bore a sad smile, "I'm sorry guys. I'll think about it but I can't promise I'll come back. I have responsibilities, and I would be letting my group down." The twins nodded slowly in hesitant acceptance.

"Your consideration fills me with hope," Oliver smiled sheepishly. Hoseok grinned, patting Oliver's back in a friendly manner.

Jungkook's daydreaming expression was an entertaining one. His doe eyes, appearing almost as if overcome with traumatic flashbacks, paired with the distracted eating served for a comical view for anyone who bothered to watch him slip into those clouds. He was preoccupied with thoughts of returning back to the lodge, being received with open arms by Jin and hopefully a talking Mara. He hoped to win her back very soon, as he found his life without her friendship to be particularly mundane. He was fully aware of his attachment to her, but he didn't care.

An approaching figure snapped him out of his daydream, and upon glancing at them he was filled with a sense of dread, his soul fleeing from his body in a fight or flight response. Unfortunately what was left was his body, and he was left to sigh as a smiling Haneul came his way.

Girls...are weird.

"Hi Jungkook!" She waved, taking a seat beside Jungkook, who glanced at her and slightly deflated.

He chuckled awkwardly, "Mhm."

"I didn't see you when your leader returned the dollies. I thought you'd left somehow," she chuckled. Haneul scooted closer, attempting to slide into his frame of view as to grab his attention. Jungkook had taken his last bite of food, resorting to picking at his teeth with the stick.

"Restroom break," Jungkook gave a short reply, hoping that she'd take the hint that he wasn't in the mood to talk and hopefully go away. It was an absolute lie that he had gone off to the restroom at that time as well, knowing that he'd avoided seeing her again on purpose. Upon glancing at her again, he was met with her intense gaze. It wasn't the overbearing kind, it was actually a normal stare, but she was far too excited to meet a stranger for him to consider it normal.

"Oh," she chuckled, "I see....So...Is your group from Gong's camp?" She asked after a second.

Jungkook discretely sighed, deciding to just be nice and answer whatever questions she had. He figured it would be better than only having his thoughts to keep him company.

"No. My group and I have our own camp. We don't really...belong to any communities. You?" Jungkook politely asked. He put a bit of distance between them, but ultimately turned to face her. His sudden engagement in the conversation seemed to brighten her expression, and she sat up straighter.

"That's very impressive!" She praised, "I'm staying in Hyunjae's community. Been there for a year now. And you?"

Jungkook inhaled deeply, narrowing his eyes as he thought back to when he first joined Namjoon. He smiled, reminiscent of the old times, the old relationships between him and everyone, between him and Namjoon. He glanced at Namjoon, his smile falling.

"Well...I was first on my own for a year or so. And then I joined them. So I guess three years?" Jungkook ended uncertainly. Haneul's smile widened. She raised her knee, propping her elbow on it and resting her cheek on her hand.

"That's a long time. How many people are in your group? There's like...three hundred people in Hyunjae's community," she chuckled, shrugging.

Jungkook tapped his fingers on his thighs, "Eight," he answered. Jungkook figured that if she was part of the community they were now allied with, it wouldn't hurt to have an open conversation about such things. Jungkook then remembered something, scanning the small crowd of people on the specific roof he was on. He kept his eye out for a particular sibling—Haneul's defensive and protective brother, who seemed to not quite like Jungkook. He caught sight of him, slightly relieved that Sam was preoccupied chatting with someone he didn't really know. Jungkook didn't know anyone except Hoseok's twin friends and...Haneul. That wasn't so bad, and she wasn't the worst company.

She's not so bad. I shouldn't be so mean.

Haneul was stunned, "Eight?" She repeated, her smile replaced by widened eyes, "Isn't that too little?"

Jungkook shrugged, "Sometimes. Most of the time we're fine."

"Oh," she nodded, "Wow. No offense but I would usually expect such a small group to be struggling. I mean...do you?" She curiously asked. Jungkook chuckled, shaking his head.

"No. Not really. We have a garden that we get plenty of food from. We mostly eat soup everyday but...ya know, it's still good," Jungkook sheepishly scratched the back of his head. Haneul laughed, nodding,

"Soup is...soup is good," she hesitated, but this appeared to be her way of teasing. Jungkook narrowed his eyes at her playfully,

"It is!" He defended, "I love it...everyday...and I've loved it for three years."

Haneul covered her mouth to laugh, to which Jungkook shook his head with smile.

She riled down and tapped her chin as she thought of questions, "So it's you and seven other boys? Doesn't that get too rowdy?"

Jungkook felt awkward answering that question, as he didn't know quite how to say that everyone except a few of them hated each other, and how everyone basically stuck to their own select person they could tolerate.

"It's complicated. But yeah, it's six of us guys and my best friend Mara," Jungkook said, biting his lip to hide the smile he felt on his lips at the mention of Mara. Haneul noticed this, her demeanor minutely shifting as her smile fell for a second before returning brightly.

"Oh!" She nodded, "She's the only girl?"

Jungkook nodded, "Yup. She's super cool," Jungkook felt his face grow hot, "She's more than just a girl...she's like..." Jungkook looked up at the sky in thought, "She's like a really bright star. When you feel lost you look to her and find your way...if that even makes sense," Jungkook covered his face with his hand, shaking his head in embarrassment at the words that left his mouth.

Haneul chuckled, "Yeah...um- No yeah, I get you."

Jungkook slid his hand down his face, sheepish grin faltering, "Yeah...Im trying to win her back. We had a little...falling out. Ugh, it sounds like I'm downplaying it but I'm being vague for the sake of confidentiality."

"You can tell me," Haneul encouraged, but Jungkook waved it off.

"Nah. It's a private matter," he bluntly stated before his smile returned, "Anyways, she's the only woman in our group so I try to take care of her. She's back at the lodge and...oh shit!" Jungkook jumped up, suddenly remembering the radio in Namjoon's possession. It was to be used to check in with Mara, Jin and Yoongi, and he had completely forgotten. Haneul was startled by the outburst, wide eyed and concerned.

"What's wrong, are you okay?" She rushed.

Jungkook threw his thumb over his shoulder, "Sorry, I'm gonna go. I forgot I gotta check in with her," he rushed, standing from his place and leaving Haneul on her own. She watched him go with a small wave.

"Okay. Bye," she awkwardly chuckled, looking around the room in an attempt to find something to do.

Mara had been pacing the watchtower for quite a while now, having been waiting for hours on any kind of updates from her group. After receiving none, she had bunkered in with Jin as he watched over the forest, eyeing Mara every now and then as she paced from wall to wall. The walkie sat on the small table, next to the heater, where it slightly trembled from the weight of Mara's pacing. The night had already fallen upon them, all with full bellies, ready to conquer night watch just like any other night.

Mara was supposed to go to bed and sleep, but the worry over radio silence had taken any bit of sleepiness in her body.

"I'm sure they're fine," Jin suddenly spoke, tired of watching her walk back and forth but not having the heart to scold her into sitting down. Mara paused, looked at Jin, then began to walk again. Jin narrowed his eyes at her.

"What was that?" He muttered.

Mara glanced at him with a questioning brow raise.

"That little," he paused, just like she had, then proceeded again, "Like that. What you just did. How disrespectful," Jin's eyes widened as he gave her a warning look. It wasn't serious at all, he was simply attempting to lighten the mood. It seemed to work for a second, but before she could display a full smile, the worry set back in and kept her hostage. Mara sighed in frustration, stomping over to plop down beside Jin. He relaxed, glad to see her take a seat for a minute. Then began the jumping leg, her arms crossed and her teeth nibbling on her bottom lip. She'd never been this worried before, over nothing and no one.

"They probably forgot to check in. Namjoon does that sometimes and then gets angry when others don't do it. If he's going to be a dick, he might as well be consistent. Nobody likes a hypocrite," Jin mumbled under his breath, momentarily amusing Mara.

Realizing she couldn't sit still, the girl readied herself to stand. However, the static of the radio and the voice speaking through it glued her right back down to the chair.

"This is Jungkook, reaching out to base. I'm checking in late," he sighed, "Do you guys copy?"

Mara snatched the walkie, holding down the button to talk. She parted her lips to speak, a single inhale sounding out. Her voice was stuck in her throat, leaving her speechless despite the desire to talk back. Resigned, Mara handed the walkie to Jin, whose furrowed brows were laced with concern for the crushed girl that seemed to be unable to overcome her plight.

"We're here. We copy," Jin spoke into the walkie.

"So sorry for not calling in until now. We got carried away by the kebabs and- ow! What do you-," there was a pause, some muttering coming out as noisy static, "I shouldn't brag about- oh...okay. Sorry, anyways-"

Mara's worry dissolved almost instantaneously at the sound of Jungkook's voice. She was relieved to hear him, sounding healthy and alive to talk about how everyone was just fine. She was pissed that they hadn't checked in earlier but she wasn't really angry or anything remotely close to it.

"We ate shit for dinner, that's what Namjoon said I should say," Jungkook muttered, snorting when a sigh sounded, presumably Namjoon's. Mara silently chuckled at their banter, sighing in relief, "But just wanted to say that we miss you guys. We're okay here, and we're going to have to stay for another day. We're progressing pretty nicely so I don't think it'll be too long before things are under way."

"All day tomorrow?" Jin asked, eyeing Mara. She stared at the forest below, but she intently listened.

"Unfortunately. For a good cause, though. Remember," Jungkook chuckled. He suddenly paused, going quiet for a second before speaking again.

"Is Mara there?"

Jin smiled, "Yeah. She's right here."

"Oh," Jungkook inhaled sharply, "I wish you were here. But I'm glad you're back home where it's safe. I hope when I come back that you can say something...even if it's just the word 'penis' or something- ow! Why do you hit me? Do you like to see me in pain? You animal-" the walkie cut off, leaving Mara both amused and with her heart stinging.

"We're glad you guys are okay," Jin radioed in, "You're doing great things out there. We hope you guys are careful in all that you do."

"I've taken the radio from Jungkook because he can't behave," Said a new voice—Namjoon's, "It's strenuous work but worthwhile. We'll most likely be back by nightfall tomorrow. If anything I'll let you know if we're staying the night and heading back at dawn the next day."

"Remember to do so. Some of us worry more than others," Jin glanced at Mara, whose smile widened at his words.

"Will do. Is everything okay over there?"

"Yeah, it's a regular day, nothing special has or will happen," Jin confidently responded.

"Nothing new?"

Jin hummed, "It's like you never left."

"Right, I'd be inclined to believe that but I know you feel our absence," Namjoon teased, "I know you miss me."

"It's these days that I remember how nice it is to have everyone home," Jin lamented,

"Because as much as we pull each other's hair out, the second you leave, the emptiness becomes vast."

———

(A/N: Still got a gnarly cough. Hope you all enjoyed this chapter. If there are any mistakes I don't care. >:)

I've been watching crime videos on YouTube, and people are seriously crazy y'all. Stay safe out there!

All the love,

-Wethenaive

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

84.7K 3K 61
Disclaimer: *This story was heavily inspired by the video game called 'The Last of Us' and any similarities will be because of that. Most characters...
305 43 7
BTS in a Zombie apocalypse. They need to fight and survive through it. #Salivation
2.3K 231 47
When an apocalypse starts in Jeon Jungkook's high school, resulting in most of the student body exhibiting zombie-like behaviour and rapidly spreadin...
3.1K 94 30
They all happy with each other... but a deadly virus started to take place in seoul. Not only zombie but Old enemies... old friends... past... and ev...