Love in the Oddest Places (bo...

By GenVision_2009

Luigi and Mario were simply going to do a simple job: set up a factory's plumbing system, get paid, and go ho... More

Chapter 1: Taken Prisoner
Chapter 2: Throne Room Face-Off
Chapter 4: Cast Adrift
Chapter 5: Decisions, decisions
Chapter 6: Giving Back
Chapter 7: Punishment Fit for a King
Chapter 8: Unfortunate Spotlight
Chapter 9: Do the Crime, Do the Time
Chapter 10: Beginning Journey
Chapter 11: Acquainted at Last
Author's Notice
Chapter 12: Family Reunion
Chapter 13: Breaking the Ice
Chapter 14: First Steps
Chapter 15: Actions Speak Louder than Words
Chapter 16: Brotherly Bonding
Chapter 17: Wrench in the Works
Chapter 18: Impending Threat
Chapter 19: Barking Menace
Chapter 20: Enemy of My Enemy
Chapter 21: Anguish
Chapter 22: Comfort in the Dark
1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY
Chapter 23: Darklands' Hope
Chapter 24: Penny for your thoughts
Chapter 25:Exposure Therapy
Chapter 26: Femme Fatale
Chapter 27: Victory Mark Ceremony
Chapter 28: Onward
Chapter 29: Skeletons in Royal Closets
Chapter 30: Aerial Madness
Chapter 31: Imperial Cold Shoulder
Chapter 32: Swayed Heart
Chapter 33: That's Amore!
Chapter 34: Blast from the Past
Chapter 35: Civil Conversation
Chapter 36: Choosing a Side

Chapter 3: A Breath of Fresh Air

3.8K 98 64
By GenVision_2009

Now with the battle over and the villain caught, Mario and company could return home. Well, their temporary home in the Mushroom Kingdom. There was the possibility that they would return to Brooklyn; however, Mario did not want to bring up the subject. He still needed to bring King Bowser to Mushroom and face trial, truly bringing his mission to a close. The affected kingdoms wanted justice and he agreed to deliver. Mario pushed the frozen koopa across the dark halls of the empty fortress, trying to be as quick as possible. It was hot in the throne room, so it was imperative that they get him out of there. Peach walked behind them, pushing Toad, who was frozen by accident. Poor Luigi has been apologizing profusely, despite the princess stating it was not an issue. Luigi carried Kamek on his back, ignoring the Koopa's weight. One gets very strong after twenty years of plumbing.

It was strange seeing the fortress so empty. Toad did an amazing job luring the army into the engine room; Luigi wondered if they were still trapped inside or if they escaped and retreated, knowing their ruler was defeated. He wondered... no, he hoped Junior was also with them. Luigi sighed, trying not to think of the koopa prince. He looked at his brother in an attempt to distract himself. "Wow, Mario. How'd you get so strong?" he asked.

Mario chuckled. "When I landed in Mushroom, I bumped into Toad. He took me to Peach, and she offered to train me using this combat simulator."

Peach smiled, "Yes. My kingdom needed help and so did Mario. It was a 2-1 deal, really. He would become strong enough to save you and my kingdom. However, Mario did struggle for a little bit..."

"We don't talk about the fight with DK." said a blushing Mario.

Luigi laughed. "DK? Who is that?" he asked.

Peach described Mario's first battle with Donkey Kong, the champion of Kong Country. The ape had mopped the floor with him before Mario managed to turn the tide of the battle in his favor. It was rather impressive to hear how Mario succeeded in fighting a powerful on his first adventure. However, it was also comical when the princess described how DK grabbed him by the face and threw him around like a rag doll. Luigi was visibly struggling to keep himself from laughing, covering his mouth with his hand. Mario's face was matching his hat by the time she finished her tale. Peach playfully shoved his shoulder. "Luigi, you shouldn't be laughing!" she said, trying to contain her own laughter.

Luigi snorted. "I'm sorry. It's just kinda funny to imagine Mario fighting a giant ape," he said.

"Imagine getting held hostage by a turtle. Could not be me," said Mario.

"HEY! Bowser actually looks scary!"

The brothers narrowed their eyes at each other. Princess Peach turned onto the frozen tyrant. He has been a looming threat for years now. Seeing him trapped in ice and ready to be put on trial caused a wave of emotions to wash over her. She felt happy and relieved because the power stars were going to be returned, but it was also surreal. Her kingdom's principles were peace and unity; yet, here stood the polar opposite. While Peach was a kind and benevolent ruler, Bowser was a cruel and greedy king. Whatever he had planned with the power stars... It was good that he was stopped.

"P-Princess, how exactly are we getting back to your kingdom?"

Peach turned to the brothers. Mario stopped to wipe his brow for a second, while Luigi tapped on Toad's icy prison. The mushroom princess took off her crown, "Don't worry, guys. We won't have to carry them all the way back," she replied. From a small compartment on the crown band, Peach pulled out a tiny green pipe. Luigi narrowed his eyes at it, trying to get a better look. And once he realized what it was, he backed away. "Nope. No. Nu-uh," he said.

Mario raised an eyebrow at his reaction. He put a hand on his shoulder, "What's wrong, Weeg?" he asked.

Luigi shakily pointed at the item in Peach's hand. "W-we're not actually using o-one of those things, r-right? 'Cuz that's how we got in this mess!" he exclaimed.

Peach patted his other shoulder, "I assure you that this warp pipe is safe. It has been enchanted to specifically take us to the Mushroom Kingdom."

Luigi whimpered slightly. He looked at Mario fearfully, not looking an ounce convinced. And who could blame him? Stepping through a warp pipe was what led to his captivity in Bowser's claws. Peach tapped her chin, then perked up. "I have an idea. I will take Bowser and go through first," she said.

Mario nodded. "Whatever you say, Princess."

The princess walked over to the base of a tower, just outside the fortress' gates. She turned the warp pipe on its side and pressed it into the wall. The green pipe grew in size, cracking the structure. Peach adjusted her gloves, then dragged the massive ice block towards the entrance. Luigi tilted his head. How the heck are they going to fit? However, the princess was quick to answer. Peach stood up straight and crossed her arms, a slightly proud smile on her face. Then she bumped her hip against the ice, pushing a petrified Bowser through; she swiftly followed behind. Luigi's jaw dropped. Mario guffawed. "I recommend you ignore the physics from home for a little bit. You're gonna hurt yourself trying to understand this place," he said, closing Luigi's mouth.

His brother adjusted his cap before walking behind Toad. "I'm right behind ya, bro. It's totally safe," he said. Luigi fiddled with his gloves, before taking a deep breath and stepping through the ominous teleporting device.

[XXX]

The second Luigi stepped into the warp pipe, he was sucked into it, going at breakneck speed. He crashed into the side, screaming louder than ever. It was hard to breathe. Luigi felt like he was on a roller coaster, and he hates roller coasters! He gathered the courage to open his eyes and saw a fast-approaching light. Luigi clawed at the sides but could not have a hold of anything. And after what felt like an eternity, the man in green was ejected from the warp pipe. The poor guy skidded across what felt like a tiled floor and crashed into a wall, knocking the wind from his lungs.

The room was spinning.

Voices chattered nervously and gasped; some even screamed. Luigi could feel people gather around him; they looked like tiny, colorful blobs. He groaned, trying not to throw up. Something poked his nose. "Is... Is that Mario?"

"Why's he green?"

"Is it me or did Mario lose weight?"

"Can't be him! This guy's tall!"

Luigi propped onto his elbows, coughing and trying to get his breath back. He groped around for his cap, ignoring the pounding headache. He hoped to stars he never had to use a warp pipe again. Luigi looked up, squinting at the bright light. Then he gasped. He found himself in the most beautiful room he has ever seen. The chamber was made of polished marble and decorated with light pink and gold banners; crystalline windows allowed the warm glow of the morning sun to flood the room. A gorgeous glass window reflected the sunlight, bathing the room with speckles of color; it depicted Princess Peach looking upwards, her hands raised. Luigi shakily stood up, "Whoa..." he gasped.

The Toads gathered around him, muttering amongst themselves. Luigi stopped inspecting the throne room and focused on the crowd around him. He nervously chuckled, "H-hello." The Toads surrounding him smiled and uttered welcomings. A line of pink bloomed across his face, warmth spreading to his chest. Such a warm welcome... that's all he needed.

"YAHOO!"

He looked up and saw his brother slide out of the warp pipe, landing on his feet. Mario chuckled and walked up to him; the younger twin frowned slightly, wishing he had more of an elegant entrance like his. Mario smiled. "Everyone! This is my brother, Luigi!" he announced. There was a collective gasp and suddenly everybody cheered and started asking Luigi questions. He slightly stepped back, frightened by the sudden attention. Some even shook his hand and looked at him with glimmering eyes. Luigi laughed shyly at his reaction, rubbing his neck. This must be what celebrities feel like. However, Luigi was a bit confused since no one knew yet he assisted in defeating Bowser. A woman's laughter silenced the excitement.

Princess Peach walked amongst the crowd, dressed in full royal regalia. Her voluminous pink gown bellowed around her, gold crown dazzling. Peach softly patted heads and spoke assuring words as Toads approached her with concern. Luigi and Mario exchanged a look, moved by her motherly display. Peach folded her hands, "Did everything go well, Luigi?" she asked.

"Green Mario shot out of the warp pipe like a Bullet Bill!"

"Oh, come on. It wasn't the worst thing! B-B-Bowser came through..."

The mushroom folk gathered together, frightened at the mere mention of the koopa's name. Peach looked around and raised her hands, "All right, settle down everyone. Let's not give Luigi a hard time; it takes some time to get used to pipe travel," she said. The Toads quickly calmed down and returned to their bubbly selves. Luigi could not help but compare Peach's manner of calming her kingdom to Bowser's. She was so warm and kind, connecting physically with each of them. But the Koopa King was cold and authoritative; it is either obey or face his wrath. Luigi shook his head, not wanting to think about him anymore.

Princess Peach walked up the carpeted steps of her throne and faced the crowd with a bright smile. She extended her arms. "Everyone, rejoice! The dark king has been defeated and the Power Stars are being retrieved as we speak. We have won!" she announced. The throne room exploded with jubilation. The citizens clapped and cheered, some hugged each other and cried.

"They did it! They defeated the Koopa King!"

"Our stars are safe!"

"Hurray! Luigi is not going to die!"

The brothers walked up to the princess at her beckoning. They respectfully took off their caps, placing them against their chests. Peach placed her hands in front of her. "As ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom and representative of the Allied Kingdoms, I thank you for your help," she said. "I thank Mario for his heroic act. You landed at our kingdom's borders by accident and had no obligation to help us. And yet, you did so, putting your life at risk. We owe you a great debt."

There was a myriad of cheers and agreements. Luigi looked at his brother, eyes glowing brightly. His brother glanced at him, pride in his eyes. Peach turned her attention to Luigi. "And we must thank his brother as well. He endured being held captive by Bowser and broke free to fight alongside us in our time of need!" she said.

The Toads clapped and rejoiced at her words. Luigi blushed deeply, trying to hide in his hat. Mario chuckled at his reaction and clapped along with them. Princess Peach raised her hands once again, "This calls for a celebration!"

If the citizens could yell any louder, they most certainly do. They all stampeded outside the large wooden doors, excitedly talking. The princess tittered. Mario put his hands on his hips, "Thank you, Peach." she said.

Luigi nervously put his cap on, "Y-you didn't have to do that, princess. We-we are just happy to help," he stammered.

Peach bumped his shoulder, "Nonsense! You two will go down in history. You saved all of Mushroom and the Allied Kingdoms on your first week here," she said. "That is no small feat." She added with a wink.

The princess walked down the stairs, the heroes following behind her. She sighed quietly, "Besides, consider this a token of our gratitude and a farewell party." she said with an undertone of sadness.

Mario and Luigi exchanged a crestfallen look. In all honesty, they truly wanted to go back to Brooklyn. However, they were somewhat saddened by that. They have made great friends in their brief time here, but they did not belong here... Besides, everyone at home must be worried sick about them. The little community they lived in would certainly notice their favorite and reliable plumbers were missing. Mario looked at Luigi, who swiftly nodded his head. The red plumber smiled, "We'd be honored."

Peach clapped her hands together. "Oh, wonderful! With how excited the Toads are, the party will be ready by tonight. In the meantime, you boys can rest. I am sure you would enjoy some downtime," she said.

"Absolutely. I wanna get the smell of brimstone off me," said Luigi.

Mario yawned. "And I can use a nap."

Peach softly clapped her hands. A pink Toad with pigtails swiftly walked to her aid and bowed. The princess kneeled down and whispered instructions to her. The maid nodded her head. Peach stood up, "Toadette here will take you to your rooms. I'll get someone to bring up some fresh clothes and tea as well," she said. The brothers hummed in affirmation. Peach turned around to exit the room, but Luigi stopped her. "Scusami, principessa. What happened to your little friend?" he asked.

Peach waved her hand. "Oh! Toad is being thawed out as we speak. He will be free in time for the party," she responded.

Mario crossed his arms. "And Bowser?"

"Securely placed in cold storage."

Satisfied with her response, the brothers followed the pink Toad down the glowing halls of the castle.

.

.

.

After a hot shower and changing into fresh clothes, the brothers felt rejuvenated. They both sat on the balcony, warm cups of tea in their hands. A warm breeze blew by. Luigi sighed, glad that the whole ordeal was over. His brother got up and leaned on the railing, "It's beautiful, isn't it?" he asked.

Luigi smiled. "It is. Although, the name's a little too on the nose," he joked.

"Yeah. The naming system here is pretty straightforward."

They stopped for a moment to bathe in the land's beauty. Mario gazed at the smiling hills, mesmerized by the mushrooms that danced with the breeze. The tiny citizens bustled with energy below them. Meanwhile, Luigi basked in the warmth, eyes closed; relief soaked into his bones. His entire imprisonment was filled with dreams like this. Dreams of feeling the familiar warmth of the sun as opposed to the blazing heat of lava, of being in the company of his brother once again rather than the cold loneliness of his cell.

A breath of fresh air.

Tink. Mario placed his cup back on its saucer and sat back down with a sigh. He ran a hand through his hair, "It's hard to believe all this really happened."

Luigi opened an eye, "Yep."

Mario crossed his arms, "So! Are you going to tell me how you escaped?" he asked.

"U-um..."

Luigi put his cup down, lest he drops it due to his trembling hands. He would hate to break something of the princess; plus, the small teacup probably cost more than his kidney is worth. The man nervously played with his mustache, "It was strange, really. This... koopaling came to the dungeons, to see what the fuss was about," he said.

"Like a juvenile koopa? Someone actually brought their child onto Bowser's fortress?"

The younger twin shrugged, feeling guilty for downplaying Junior's role in his escape. It was probably for the best. The prince did not deserve to be dragged further into this; it was punishment enough that his father was imprisoned. Luigi returned his attention to Mario. "We talked for a little bit. When you and Peach stormed the castle, I managed to convince him to let me out."

Mario quirked an eyebrow, "Just like that?" he asked.

"It didn't take much to convince him I meant no harm,"

His brother gave him a slight look of disbelief. Luigi leaned on his hand, "The only reason I brought Bowser down was because you weakened him, and Peach gave me that ice flower thing," he said.

"... fair enough."

Luigi sighed. "So, yeah. A kid essentially let me out," he added.

"Why did Bowser imprison you, though? Did he mistake you for me?"

Luigi's mustache twitched. "W-well, he wanted to use me as bait and also get info on you."

Mario went silent for a second. He had a steely look in his eyes. Luigi tapped his foot, hiding his hands in his underarms. After a tense minute, Mario scoffed. "What a monster. How evil do you have to be to do such a thing..."

Luigi looked at the floor. "He seemed desperate. Almost like he really never expected the kingdom to fight back."

Mario inhaled sharply through his teeth. "Weeell, it's common knowledge that the Toads don't look or act like capable fighters."

Finally. A change in conversation.

Luigi guffawed. "Can you *snort* imagine those little guys as soldiers?"

Mario went still for a second, thinking. Then he wheezed, sounding like a tea kettle. The brothers burst into laughter, the previous tension melting away. Luigi wiped a tear from his face, grateful for the shift in the atmosphere. The two spent the next few minutes, laughing and poorly imitating the Toads' shrilly voices. Imagining the adorable mushroom folk with serious expressions and dressed for battle really sent them into hysterics. After a few minutes, the brothers collected themselves. Luigi poured himself another cup of tea. Mario sighed, "I'm going to take a nap." he said.

"Okie dokie, bro. I'm gonna stay out here for a little bit; the breeze is nice."

Mario stepped back into the room. "Get some rest too, okay?"

"I will, Mario."

His brother gave him one last look before fully entering the room. Luigi turned his attention back to the sunny hills, a sigh of contentment escaping his lips.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.9K 1.5K 12
Mario and Luigi are starting a business called "The Plumber Brothers." They even had a little sister name Y/N that dreams of becoming a dancer, but t...
11.7K 557 38
📕📖 Two Books In One 📕📖 (Luigi: Should I Stay Or Should I Go?) We'll See Each Other Again: 🎉*Completed*🎊 What If Luigi have met bowser before th...
16.7K 430 12
Luigi has a secret. A big secret. He's in love with a guy. Even worse, it's his brothers arch-enemy. But, he has a plan. A stupid one, but still a pl...
1.1K 31 4
While planning their surprise wedding, Bowser feels something is missing. He wants to do something grand, a true show of his love for his lil' man in...