Love in the Oddest Places (bo...

By GenVision_2009

Luigi and Mario were simply going to do a simple job: set up a factory's plumbing system, get paid, and go ho... More

Chapter 1: Taken Prisoner
Chapter 3: A Breath of Fresh Air
Chapter 4: Cast Adrift
Chapter 5: Decisions, decisions
Chapter 6: Giving Back
Chapter 7: Punishment Fit for a King
Chapter 8: Unfortunate Spotlight
Chapter 9: Do the Crime, Do the Time
Chapter 10: Beginning Journey
Chapter 11: Acquainted at Last
Author's Notice
Chapter 12: Family Reunion
Chapter 13: Breaking the Ice
Chapter 14: First Steps
Chapter 15: Actions Speak Louder than Words
Chapter 16: Brotherly Bonding
Chapter 17: Wrench in the Works
Chapter 18: Impending Threat
Chapter 19: Barking Menace
Chapter 20: Enemy of My Enemy
Chapter 21: Anguish
Chapter 22: Comfort in the Dark
1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY
Chapter 23: Darklands' Hope
Chapter 24: Penny for your thoughts
Chapter 25:Exposure Therapy
Chapter 26: Femme Fatale
Chapter 27: Victory Mark Ceremony
Chapter 28: Onward
Chapter 29: Skeletons in Royal Closets
Chapter 30: Aerial Madness
Chapter 31: Imperial Cold Shoulder
Chapter 32: Swayed Heart
Chapter 33: That's Amore!
Chapter 34: Blast from the Past
Chapter 35: Civil Conversation
Chapter 36: Choosing a Side

Chapter 2: Throne Room Face-Off

4.1K 111 62
By GenVision_2009

The ground beneath them rumbled and he was violently lifted off his feet. Junior screamed and fell to the side; Luigi yelped and cushioned his head with his hand. He was hanging onto the bar, roughly leaning to the side. His cell looked like he had been turned, almost as if a massive hand had picked up the castle itself and turned it. Luigi grunted, "Junior! Junior, you okay?!"

Junior groaned. "What was that?"

An earth-shattering roar echoed through the room as it once again violently moved. Luigi gritted his teeth. Alarms blared in the distance. The plumber grunted, "Grab the bars!" he ordered. Thankfully, the young Koopa obeyed. Luigi moved so he was shielding him, his free hand protectively on his head. A few loose stones fell from the ceiling, but thankfully missed him. And as soon as it came, the earthquake stopped. The world straightened. Luigi's ears were ringing. He opened an eye, "What just happened?" he asked.

Junior glimmered with fear. "That... that was my dad."

Another roar cut through the air. They ducked their heads, shielding themselves from the falling debris. A mix of hope, joy, and fear bubbled inside him. His brother came for him! But now, he was having a showdown with a beast four or five times his size; Mario better have tricks up his sleeve. Luigi could not bear to see his brother hurt. He hoped Mario somehow brought help; it was a much better thought than thinking his brother was fighting Bowser alone. Luigi stood to his feet, straightening Junior in the process; the koopa prince had a look of great worry on his face. The imprisoned plumber felt like someone punched him in the stomach, focusing more on his brother and ignoring whom he is fighting. Junior must be just as worried for his father as Luigi is for his brother. Right now... a little sympathy could go a long way. The man in green furrowed his brow, "Junior. I need you to let me out," he said.

Junior jumped. "What? NO!"

Luigi clenched the bars. "I need to get out of here. This whole place is coming apart; plus, I need to do something."

"So, you want me to let you out so you can go beat up my dad?!"

"No! It's not like that..."

Junior shook his head, glaring at him. Luigi looked at him with pleading eyes, "I'm trying to help you, Junior. Not my brother. Please..."

Junior turned his back to him, arms crossed. Luigi frowned. He was unsure if the prince was old enough to understand what he was trying to do. One thing Luigi would do (if he was truly brave) was reprimand Bowser for bringing his son; who brings their child to an invasion?! However, at the same time, he wants to commend him for not leaving him alone. Ugh, damn that king and his complexity! And curse his easily swayed heart! He has only talked to Junior for a few minutes and was already protective of the dark prince. Luigi just wanted to stop Bowser and Mario's fight for his and Junior's sake; with the force they were fighting with, the fortress could fall into lava with all of them inside. Moreover, the man's heart broke seeing how worried the boy was; Luigi detested the fact that violence was involved.

The sound of metal screeching made him jump. Junior grabbed one of the bars and pulled at it, bending the metal with ease. Luigi stared at him in shock, his jaw nearly hitting the floor. If he was this strong at a young age... how strong was Bowser? Junior looked up at him, "You're coming or what?" he asked. Luigi's expression quickly morphed from shock to gratitude, a small smile on his face. It has been a while since he has done so. He crawled through the small opening, feeling like he could finally breathe once he was out of the cramped cell. Luigi cracked his back, sighing with satisfaction at being able to move in a space bigger than ten feet in length. Junior grabbed onto his pant leg, "Promise me you won't hurt my dad," he sniffled.

"I'll do my best to stop them."

Junior seemed unsure of his response but nodded slightly and let go of his leg. Luigi awkwardly patted his head, feeling unworthy of comforting him (after all, he played a small role in this situation). Luigi turned on his heels but stopped. He looked over his shoulder, "Get somewhere safe, okay?" he said. The young prince hummed in agreement, then ran in the opposite direction. Luigi adjusted his cap with shaking hands and headed towards the sound of fighting.

[XXX]

In the throne room, a mighty battle roared. As minions raced to stabilize the floating fortress, the king clashed fists with Mario. Despite the plumber's much smaller stature, he for with ferocity, throwing fireballs with flawless accuracy. Bowser snarled and turned around; the flaming projectiles ricocheted off his shell. The king inhaled, then released a torrent of flames. Mario furrowed his brow and to the side, grimacing slightly at the searing heat. Mario countered with his own flames, running low to avoid Bowser's fire breath, and narrowly punching the king's face; however, he managed to set his hair ablaze. Bowser roared and shook his head, cursing at Mario. The powered-up hero did not respond and instead focused on his attacks; he wanted this battle over and done with. The suffocating heat of the throne room was getting to him, and Bowser's attacks were becoming more erratic; a real-life clash was much more arduous than the training course.

Near the hovering throne, Peach was also locked in combat, fighting the royal advisor, Kamek. A faint aura glowed around her, a clear sign that she was also using a power-up. Thanks to the super mushroom she consumed earlier, her strength has increased exponentially. The halberd in her hands was nothing but a blur as she used it to block the magikoopa's spells. Princess Peach rushed forward, missing him entirely as Kamek teleported behind her. With a quick wave of his wand, sharp crystals materialized and shot toward her. Peach rolled to the side, dodging them.

Boom!
The combatants yelled, tripping as the ground beneath them shook. Bowser growled, brows furrowed and eyes glistening with rage. Kamek appeared beside him, "They've grounded the palace!"

"I don't care! Just don't let them get the power stars!"

His royal advisor nodded and waved his wand. In a flash of circles and triangles, identical images of him appeared and rushed toward them. Mario and Peach stood side by side as the clones circled around them, waving their wands. One launched a fireball, narrowly avoiding Mario's leg. Another lunged at the princess, their scepter raised over their head. Peach screamed and raised the halberd, holding it out as a shield. Metal clashing assaulted their ears. The princess dropped the fragments of her weapon, crying out in pain.

"Peach!"

Mario turned his back. Seeing the opportunity, Bowser ran toward him and whipped his tail, slamming into the plumber's chest. Mario screamed as he flew across the arena and crashed into a wall, crumbling to the floor; the white color of his clothes transformed back into blue. The clones grabbed Peach and pushed her into a bubble, ignoring her kicks and screams. Bowser threw his head back, "BWAHAHA! How nice of you to bring the princess to me. Makes things so much easier!" he quipped.

Kamek cackled alongside him. Peach punched and kicked at the bubble but to no avail. Bowser stomped towards Mario, "And now, to take care of the pest," he snarled. The plumber slowly stood to his feet and wiped his mouth before raising his fists, eyes darkened by his cap. The two stared at each other. Mario had an unreadable expression, while Bowser had one of overconfidence. Then, they ran toward each other. King Bowser lunged a flurry of punches, but the plumber managed to dodge them. He blocked one of his fists, then jumped, propelling himself upwards by using the tyrant's face.

Twisting in the air, Mario landed on his feet. He grabbed King Koopa's tail. Bowser yelped, "What the fu- GAH!" Muscles screaming against the strain, Mario started spinning. He lifted the dragon turtle off his feet, revolving in a tight circle and quickly garnering speed. Bowser's screams echoed through the throne room and got even louder when Mario let go. He crashed into a statue, turning the chiseled stone to rubble.

"Mario!"

The hero stumbled and turned around. His eyes widened with joy. Luigi stood over an unconscious Kamek, holding the broken halberd in front of him with one hand and the magikoopa's wand in the other. His lips were quivering, and he appeared to be panting. He dropped the metal bar and threw Kamek's wand into the nearby lava. Peach's bubble prison popped. The princess floated down, taking a moment to gather herself before trapping Luigi in a hug. The man in green looked slightly confused but returned the affection anyway. Mario sprinted toward them, relief washing over him like a rogue wave. His brother escaped!

Luigi was okay!

Mario crashed into them, laughing, and crying at the same time. Luigi chuckled and tightly hugged his brother. The red plumber patted his back, "Luigi, you made it! You got out!" he exclaimed.

Luigi rubbed his neck sheepishly. "I got a little help," he said.

Mario laughed. "It's so good to see you again. Are you okay?! Are you hurt?"

"N-no, I'm fine. Just shaken up is all."

Mario nodded. "I don't blame you, bro."

Luigi looked at the princess, "Mind, uh... introducing me to your friend?"

Mario touched his forehead, momentarily forgetting that Luigi and Peach have never met. He gestured to her, "This is Princess Peach. Her kingdom was going to be Bowser's last target," he explained. Luigi flinched slightly and hid behind Mario slightly. "P-p-princess?!"

Peach frowned slightly at Luigi's reaction. The poor man had a negative experience meeting royalty. Well, at least all of them were bad as long as they knew. Nevertheless, Peach was determined to make him feel comfortable. The princess put a hand on Mario's shoulder, "Let's finish this. I am sure Luigi would like a hot meal and a soft bed," she said.

Luigi nearly burst into tears. "Yes! Please! Get me outta here!" he pleaded.

Mario smiled slightly, ready to leave this place. He could not wait to see Luigi's reaction at seeing the Mushroom Kingdom; the cheerful nation was most certainly his brother's type of place. Furthermore, Mario will finally be able to sleep easily, knowing his brother was in a safe environment. Oh, he can't wait to show him Toad Town! Or, or tour him through the mystical halls of the Toadstool Castle. But alas, this cheerful train of thought was cut short. The nearby pile of rubble moved.

The trio gasped. Peach kneeled down and grabbed the broken halberd. Mario gently pushed Luigi behind. "Peach, do we have any power-ups for Luigi?" he asked.

"Power what now."

Peach dug into her battle suit's pocket and pulled out a blue flower. "I've got an ice flower left..." she said.

Mario sighed and rolled his shoulders. "It'll do."

Luigi looked at them. Having been captured for most of the adventure, he was incredibly lost. It would be a very long conversation for another time. He watched with a puzzled expression as his brother took out a red mushroom and promptly ate it. The slight scratches and bruises on him vanished. His eyes glowed with rejuvenated strength. The rubble moved again, this time more violently. Peach quickly put the flower in Luigi's grasp. "Listen very carefully. The ice flower will let you shoot ice balls as long as you don't get hurt," she hurriedly explained.

Luigi bit his lip, "Do we really have to fight him?" he asked.

"He's been unreasonable this entire time. I don't think we can end this peacefully, Weeg." said his brother.

Luigi looked down at the ice flower, feeling its power flow through him. His overalls turned a bright green and his shirt an ice blue. His breath condensed in front of him, despite the room's heat. The plumber raised his hand and a ball of pure white snow materialized. He looked at his brother with amazement. Mario patted his shoulder. "Ready, bro?"

"N-not r-really..."

He was shaking. A look of apprehension showed in his eyes. Luigi did not want to fight Bowser not only because of his fear of the king but because of his promise. He did not think it mattered to bring that up, considering Mario and Peach have already made up their minds. The warrior princess sighed, noticing his face. "Mario, you and I will distract Bowser. Once we have a chance, Luigi can freeze him."

Mario raised an eyebrow, "You sure?" he asked.

"Look at him. I think you've battered him enough."

Suddenly Bowser stumbled into view, staggering like a drunk. Dark blood oozed from his nose, giving him an even more frightening disposition. The koopa shook his head and groaned, looking around as if he was lost. Guess crashing into that statue did a real number on him. Bowser groggily focused on the group, struggling to look angry. "That... That all you got?" he said, wiping his nose.

Peach and Mario attacked simultaneously, baiting the already dazed beast. He threw punches without focus, hissing with outrage as he missed, or his opponents dodged. Luigi inched closer, launching ice; he tried his best to aim at Bowser, which was somehow challenging on account of all his thrashing. He took cover behind a fallen pillar, narrowly avoiding his tail. Luigi formed a snowball in his hands, "T-this doesn't count as fighting. I'm technically stopping him from hurting himself more..." he muttered to himself. He gulped down his fear and took a deep breath. Before he lost his nerve, Luigi ran out of his hiding spot, ignoring his racing heart. The frightened yet brave man veered to the left to avoid a fireball, yelping before he threw the snowball. It hit Bowser in the face.

Luigi lifted his cap, "H-haha! Y-you just got Luigi'd!"

The icy hero screamed as Bowser lunged at him, shouting "YOU!" Luigi jumped to the side, just barely missing his claws; the rage-frenzied beast crashed somewhere behind him. Mario appeared beside him and helped him to his feet. The older twin grasped his shoulder, "We'll clear a shot for you!" he said, then jumped back into the fight.

Luigi summoned another frosty projectile, this time made of ice. He was undisturbed by the cold; in fact, it was rather mesmerizing. And now that he was free, he could enjoy the more positive side of this place. So, let's finish this. He looked up and saw Peach had somehow climbed on Bowser's shoulders his head this way and that by his horns. Mario held onto one of his legs, feet planted. Since when was his brother so strong? Shoving the thought aside, Luigi focused on the opportunity before him. He raised the ice ball and aimed. He hoped all it took to freeze Bowser was one. Because, honestly, he has probably pushed his bravery limits too far. Luigi gritted his teeth.

And threw the ice ball.

Time slowed down. The icy sphere sailed through the air and shattered the second it hit Bowser's chest. The princess and the hero jumped out of the way as frost and ice spread across his body. The tyrant opened his mouth to scream or curse their name. But his frigid prison silenced him as he was sealed away in a block of ice.

[XXX]

Mario wheezed, leaning on his knees. Peach lay on the ground, groaning. Luigi walked over to them, going a wide berth from the now-frozen Bowser. The rage in his crimson eyes preserved. Luigi whispered something at him before rushing at them. He wrung his hands, "Is everyone okay?" he asked.

Peach slowly sat up. "W-We got him... that's what matters," she answered.

Mario straightened up. His brother wrapped an arm around him, a slight smile on his face. Now that the throne room face-off was over, Mario could have a concrete look at him. His mustache was disheveled slightly; his clothes were covered in a layer of dust and dirt. Dark bags gathered under his eyes. Thankfully, he did not have any bruises or scratches. Looks like Bowser simply held him captive for the sake of luring him in. Mario raised his fist; Luigi bumped it without hesitation. The two laughed, wiping away tears of relief. All that stress and anxiety from the separation lifted from their shoulders. The Mushroom Princess watched from a distance with a smile on her lips, rejoicing that the two were reunited.

"FOR MUSHROOM!"

A shrilling voice ruined the moment. Toad ran through the entrance, screaming at the top of his lungs. His eyes were closed, and his trusted frying pan raised high.

Pew! Pew!

The mushroom man was trapped in ice mid-run, a shocked expression on his face. The frozen Toad slid across the throne and stopped when it bumped into Kamek. Peach covered her mouth in shock, then turned to Luigi. He has a petrified look on his face. He raised his hands, "I am so sorry!" he gasped. Mario slapped his shoulder, causing the power-up to fade away. "Rule number one: watch your surroundings. It's dangerous to get trigger-happy with these things," he said.

"He's gonna be okay, right?!"

Peach walked over to Toad. "It's okay, Luigi. Just like Bowser, we'll have to thaw them out," she said. "I'm sure he will understand. You have every right to be on edge."

Luigi's face bleached, a whimper slipping from his lips. Peach pushed Toad away from the magikoopa, "Now. Let's get out of here. I shall send word for the royal guard," she said.

Mario put a hand on his hip, "What about Lizard King over here?" he asked.

Peach stifled a laugh, "He shall be kept in the dungeon until his trial."

Luigi crossed his arms. "Wh-what of the Darklands' army?"

"We trapped them in the engine room. That's where Toad here was coming from; he was messing with the machinery."

Luigi seemed to relax a bit; however, there was an underlying worry in his eyes. Mario made a mental note to ask about that later. For now... He wants to get out of this horrible heat. What is Bowser's obsession with lava? And how can he live like this? With a shake of his head, he pushed the irrelevant thoughts aside. He put a hand on his brother's back, "Let's get you out of here, bro."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 309 31
bowser tries his best as a father. He may not be the "hero" in his story, but to his kids, he's the "hero," so when his kids go missing its his job t...
845 52 7
This is a fanfiction about bowser and luigi, you have been warned <3.
68.8K 2.1K 41
What if Bowser adopted a human child? What if that human was you? You desperately try to become experienced enough to help with your fathers cause ag...
16.7K 432 12
Luigi has a secret. A big secret. He's in love with a guy. Even worse, it's his brothers arch-enemy. But, he has a plan. A stupid one, but still a pl...