Star Wars, The Cooper Chronic...

By Goldengun2002

On a backwater world in the fringes of Republic space lives a young man. Living alone sense he was ten, his f... More

Chapter 1: Humble Beginnings
Chapter 2: Hell on Reach
Chapter 3: 717th
Chapter 4: Duel
Chapter 5: Welcome to the Republic
Chapter 6: Rally the men
Chapter 7: Training
Chapter 8: First battle
Chapter 9: Christophsis
Chapter 10: 'Negotiations'
Chapter 12: Rockjumpers
Chapter 13: Temple Raider
Chapter 14: We Meet Agian
Chapter 15: Recovery
Chapter 16: Malevolence
Chapter 17: Flying Lessons
Chapter 18: Senatorial Rescue
Chapter 19: Reshie Moon
Chapter 20: Destress call
Chapter 21: Hiigaran Assault
Chapter 22: Senatorial Rescue

Chapter 11: Padawans

742 28 1
By Goldengun2002

Narrator: A campaign concluded! Reinforcements have arrived to relieve the worn units on the planet of Chrysopsis. Now freed from the jaws of defeat, Jedi Padawan Jerome Cooper must decide his next course of action with the coming news from Master Yoda.

A thunderous roar filled the air as hundreds of marched feet pounded against plasteel, the whirl of engines filling the air with the swarms of gunships descending from the sky as Republic reinforcements disembarked from the massive Acclimator-class transport. Waves of white descended from its hull, relieving those who had not rested in days. Though away from the developing base stood three men staring upon a captured AAT. One, the pilot who had brought it to the 717th's temporary staging grounds. The second was the captain of the armored company, and lastly, with a large grin on his face, Commander Jerome Cooper, who had requested its transport from the captured CIS equipment.

Jerome: Heh, well, what do you think?

He asked, looking over at his two captains, both sharing a sideways glance from their visors before looking upon their commanding officer.

Midnight: I'm not sure why we took a separatist tank for ourselves. I mean, it's like any other you'd turned to scrap?

He muttered, gesturing to the inactive tank with a hand resting on his hip. His large companion nodded curtly as he spoke too.

Titan: Agreed, and unless you want us to take it apart for spares, none of our ATTEs were damaged beyond repair during the battle, and we have all the needed equipment to repair what damage they did take.

He stated as the towering figure took off his helmet and met the young man's gaze, to which his visage fell with a frown upon seeing the young man's disappointed expression.

Jerome: Oh, come on, it's more than just spare parts. We can use it for training, like if we ever need to hijack a few in battle or have it as a backup in case we need the extra firepower.

He replied with a sigh before crossing his arms, his gaze shifting away from Titan and upon the topic at hand, muttering to himself just loud enough for the two to hear.

Jerome: Plus, I thought it was a cool trophy after our first successful ground campaign with my command.

Titan: Mm, you have a point. But we can't go around just stealing CIS equipment for our own. We're members of the Grand Army of the Republic, not scavengers looking for anything to use.

He said as the young man shrugged before a familiar mechanical voice called out from behind the three, alongside a whirl of beeps and boops.

Niner: You are stating this to your commander, who has previously reprogramed me as his bodyguard. This fits well within Commander Cooper's modus operandi from all accounts.

Midnight: I guess, but will we end up with a corner of the hangar full of captured stuff by the war's end?

Niner: Potentially, calculations on that matter cannot be determined at this time.

The two exchanged as the three humans turned to look at the droid and the R4 unit alongside it. Upon which, with a burst of speed, R4 nearly rammed its chassis into Jerome when the young man kneeled. Bracing himself as he caught the droid, Jerome patted his droid as it released a flurry of whistles.

Jerome: Yes, it's good to see you too, bud.

He said, rubbing the top of his droid's 'head' with a soft chuckle. The two captains watching on behind the boy grew small smiles before Titan looked back at their 'trophy'. The tank out of place among the few available tanks to the unit.

Titan: Well, I guess it could be helpful in training. We'll keep an eye on it, sir.

Jerome: Thanks, Titan-mm, hold that thought.

He said, stopping mid-sentence as his comm burst to life with a slow beeping. Pressing a finger to his comm unit, Jerome looked towards the unloading troops a few hundred yards from the current staging area.

Jerome: This is Commander Cooper speaking.

Obi-wan: Jerome, join me by the ramp please. Master Yoda has news.

The voice of the young man's master spoke in his ear. Humming a response, the Padawan patted his droid once more before returning to his feet.

Jerome: Of course, I'll be there soon, master.

Obi-wan: Good, I believe I can see Anakin's dropship now.

He said before the line was cut, Jerome taking his hand away as he looked around at his fellows.

Jerome: Well, duty calls. I'll be back.

Midnight: Alright, see you soon, sir.

The pilot saluted Jerome alongside Titan, the two clones walking off towards the landing dropships as crates were being offloaded soon after. Jerome watched the LAATs before running off toward the loading ramp. The jog took ten minutes and some weaving around the Republic forces before the Padawan spotted the other force sensitives. Among them was Master Yoda, the small green Jedi having been the first to greet him and his master before arriving at the drop sight. He was also the first to notice the young man as he slowed to a brisk walk.

Yoda: Arrived, you have, Padawan Cooper. In time, you are.

Jerome: Sorry if I was late. What's going on?

He questioned, falling in beside his master as the old Jedi's face turned grim. Both hands rested on his cane's head as he began to speak.

Yoda: To the Teth system, some of you shall go.

Anakin: Teth? That's Wild Space. The Droid army isn't even in that sector. Why would the Republic need us there?

Yoda: Kidnapped, Jabba the Hutt's son has been.

He replied, looking up at the Jedi knight as his face turned into a scowl at the mention of the crime lord. His hands clutched into fists as he gazed down at the grand master of the Jedi order.

Anakin: Wait, you want me to rescue Jabba's son?

Anakin said with a growing hatred in his tone, glancing over at his mentor when he spoke.

Obi-wan: Anakin, we'll need the Hutt's allegiance to give us an advantage over Dooku.

Jerome: Working with Hutt's? Are we sure they won't just...you know, stab us in the back once they get what they want?

He asked, getting a nod from Anakin, then being cut off by Yoda as he looked at the duo from the corner of his eye.

Yoda: Negotiating a treaty with Jabba, Obi-wan will to avoid betrayal. Find the renegades that hold Jabba's son; your mission will be, Skywalker.

Ahsoka: Yeah, it doesn't seem that hard, master. I'll get Rex and the troops organized.

She quipped before running off before her master could reply, leaving Anakin to sigh and shake his head.

Anakin: What am I going to do with her?

Obi-wan: You'll do fine. Just teach her everything I taught you.

The Jedi master said, a sly smirk crossing his lips as his previous apprentice gave him a sideways glance.

Anakin: Alright, but something makes me think this was your idea from the start.

He snipped as his master only grew a slight grin upon Anakin, leaving for the Republic gunship landing before them with the captain of the 501st and Ahsoka aboard, leaving the two Jedi masters and Jerome alone to continue the discussion on the matter.

Jerome: How long do you think it's going to take to figure out I'm the reason for that?

Yoda: Not soon, it shall, but ready he is to teach an apprentice. To let go of his pupil, a greater challenge it will be. Master this Skywalker must, like how balance between lives, you must learn, as well.

He said, tapping his cane against the ground before gazing up at Jerome. The young man nodded a little before looking toward his master.

Obi-wan: Yes, but I'd best go if I'm to make a deal with Jabba the Hut, and I don't believe it wise to bring my new Padawan along this time.

Jerome: Wow, getting tired of me already, master?

The young man said with a raised brow as the older man shook his head.

Obi-wan: No, but given the urgency, I believe it best you stay with Anakin for this operation. I trust him to watch over you and you him.

Yoda: Indeed, bring few in number, of your troops. Needed, they still are here.

Jerome nodded, looking back towards where his men were setting up camp—placing a hand to his chin, gaze shifting downward as he thought.

Jerome: Alright, will we be loading aboard this transport?

Yoda: Yes, time is not endless. Now go.

He addressed Jerome and Obi-wan, nodding before the duo split, the Jedi master heading over to his starfighter while the commander ran back towards his unit, ideas of who'd he be bringing along flooding his mind upon whom to bring along.

Jerome: Ok, given the operations on Chrystophsis, armors to bulky, Barrage and his men just got through with the last assault, and Midnight's still attached to the Liberation...hm.

Humming to himself, Jerome made his way into the barracks where many of his men were resting. Upon stepping inside the building, all activity stopped, each man and woman looking upon their CO. Many were in the middle of card games over watching what limited holonet broadcasts got out in the sector.

Mercy: Hum, afternoon Commander.

The blonde medic chirped from her spot on the floor, bringing an arm up to salute. Quickly though, Jerome waved her off as he looked around the long ramshackle tent.

Jerome: At ease, everyone, just looking for Owl. Has anyone seen him?

He asked, the atmosphere in the room going back to what the commander walked in on as a clone with striking purple eyes walked over with a rifle resting against his shoulder.

Darl: I know where the captains at, sergeant Darl. I don't believe we've spoken yet.

Jerome: Good to meet you, Darl. Now lead the way.

Darl: I, I, sir.

The sergeant said with a wide grin before moving through the jumbled masses of clones and equipment, leaving through the back entrance and onto the rubble-filled streets. Leaving the camp, Darl led Jerome through a large chunk of rubble and stopped before a destroyed building not far from where the rest of the tents and prefabs were assembling.

Darl: The boss man should be up there. Now, I got a game of cards to win. See you around, newbie.

He said with a wave and walked back towards the camp, leaving Jerome to climb the rubble and into the building alone. Scaling the stairs, the commander's search lasted only a short time until he found his target, the captain of the reconnaissance core. Laying prone with his helmet laid off to the side, Owl was looking down the sights of a Terran-looking scope attached to the upper rail of his DC-15.

Owl: You know, I don't know why, but these are alright. Do you need something, sir?

The captain asked, his eyes never shifting from the scope as Jerome walked closer and kneeled next to the clone.

Jerome: I do, master Kenobi has left me with Anakin for a short duration, and we're moving to retrieve Jabba's son.

Owl: Hm, the Hutt's kid has been kidnapped. Why should we care?

He muttered, adjusting one of the knobs on the side before bracing his shoulder. The young man stayed quiet as the clone took a deep breath before firing off a bolt from his rifle, the blue ionized plasma flying through the air before disappearing into the distance. From which, Owl set the blaster down and looked at his commander.

Jerome: The Republic is making a deal to allow passage through Hut space. They're hoping this can buy them that passage. I was hoping you could pick out two squads, the 717th is still needed here, but I was advised to bring a few of you along.

Jerome said, getting off his knee when Owl sat up and started to gather up his gear.

Owl: I'll get a team together. When do we leave?

Jerome: Two hours. They still need to load the 501st aboard....by the way, how long?

He asked, looking out to the city, unable to find whatever Owl had shot at before looking over as the clone shouldered his blaster. A very faint smirk crossed Owl's lips, looking over the city briefly before heading back towards the stairs.

Owl: Two thousand meters.

Owl said, watching his captain go with wide eyes. Jerome glanced back towards the 'range' before following him down the stairs and back towards the unit. They gathered a team and were aboard the Acclimator within the allotted time. The day trip aboard the vessel could have been more eventful for the clones and Jedi aboard. However, upon the ship jumping into the system, a buzz of activity permeated the troop bay.

Walking out from their set of quarters, Jerome spotted his fellow Padawan sitting atop a crate, her head resting in her palm while tapping her heel against her makeshift seat.

Jerome: Bored twin tails?

The older teen quipped, gaining the younger Togruta female glancing up with a light glare as she huffed.

Ahsoka: Maybe I am, Greenhorn.

Jerome: Wow, using Anakin's nickname? Still trying to think of something yourself? If you do, it might fix that down look on your face.

He shot back with a sly grin, Asoka rolling her eyes a little, leaning back on her hands as she looked at the starship's ceiling.

Ahsoka: Maybe, Skyguy's been so busy with the men that I've been sitting around all day. At least you have something to do with your men, commander.

Jerome: Last I checked, you're the same rank as me, but it isn't all that entertaining either.

Jerome said, moving over and taking a seat at the base of the crate, perpendicular to Ahsoka's position, as he, too, looked up at the ceiling.

Jerome: Though, if I'm going to be honest with you for a second. You'll probably better understand the force more than I ever will. Think of it. I got pulled into this mess about....two months ago? During that time, I've had to lead a clone battalion on top of training to fight, do maintenance on my new gear, and learn the ways of the force all overlapping with each other.

Ahsoka: Geez, you sound like an old man.

She snorted softly and looked down at her fellow Jedi trainee. Upon feeling the stare, Jerome shifted his gaze to the girl with a small smile.

Jerome: Maybe I am one at heart, that one of the rumors you heard?

Ahsoka: No...but I have to ask, was your father really someone who left the order?

She asked, her voice shifting away from their back and forth to something of more genuine curiosity. Jerome stayed silent for a few moments before shifting to one side and un-clipped the wood-finished saber from his hip.

Jerome: He was, apparently, but don't ask me too much about him. He left when I was young, so everything's fuzzy and skewed. But I know he cared enough about me to think leaving would protect me. I bet he didn't plan on a galactic war breaking out.

Ahsoka: Yeah, so that was his?

She asked as Jerome looked back at her as she shifted on the crate, now laying on top of it face down, her upper body resting on the edge of the lip as she looked down onto the hilt, her face a few inches from his. Though, Jerome only nodded and let it sit on an open palm.

Jerome: Yeah, runs off of...um, I believe it is a Sorian crystal, is what Master Kenobi called it. I can't tell you who's my other used to belong to.

He said as Ahsoka nodded, slowly reaching out and running a finger over the worn wooden grooves. Humming softly to herself, she turned to look at Jerome as he let the saber drop harmlessly into his lap.

Ahsoka: Well, that answers one of the major rumors, but there's something else I wanted to ask.

Jerome: And that being?

Ahsoka: What exactly can you do with the force? I know you've probably been training with your master with what little time you have. But even if you get more time, you're right about me being better than you no matter what.

Ahsoka stated with a small smirk that fell into slight annoyance upon Jerome nodding in agreement.

Jerome: Not going to get a rise out of me that way because you're right. I can't control my powers all that well. I've seen visions, but I wonder if it's just luck or something on demand. I can't lift things with much control, and the only thing I can do on command is zeroing on a target, but only in training, not so well when I'm getting shot at.

Ahsoka: Huh, you really can't levitate things?

She said while moving back to a sitting position while bringing out her lightsaber. The smooth grey hilt slowly began to float a few inches off her palm. Shifting to a more comfortable position, Jerome watched as she slowly started to have it rotate horizontally.

Ahsoka: It's not too tricky when you get the hang of control, but training all my life does have its advantages.

Jerome: Really? I couldn't tell.

He stated, crossing his arms with a cocked brow. The Togruta rolled her eyes again, catching the lightsaber as it fell out of the air.

Ahsoka: Whatever, come on, you try.

Jerome: Ok,...be ready to duck if it goes flying, alright?

He said before picking up his saber and letting out a long exhale. Jerome slowly tapped into the binding energy for all life in the galaxy. Feeling the soft ebb and pull, he focused on the hilt and his intentions. Slowly at first, the saber began to shake before slowly rising. Though at the point he wished for it to stop, it kept rising and rising before suddenly flying up in a sudden burst of speed as Jerome reached up for it, rocketing the hilt halfway up the massive bay before it began to tumble back down.

As the blade owner got to his feet and prepared to catch the spinning lightsaber, it suddenly slowed to a crawl before shooting back toward the two Padawans, ending up harmlessly in Ahsoka's outstretched hand upon him turning around towards her.

Ahsoka: Ok, you weren't kidding about the flying. You almost had it there, I'll admit.

She said, holding the hilt out as he took it back.

Jerome: Yeah, I mean, it's excellent for getting crap out of the way fast, but anything fine-toned isn't working right now. I need more practice.

He mutters, hooking the saber back onto his bet while Asoka hops off the box and onto her feet. A small smirk adorned her lips as she bumped his shoulder.

Ahsoka: Well, I'm always around if you need some training. Who knows, maybe you'll be calling me master soon, Greenhorn.

Jerome: Oh, I'm your dreams, Twin-tails.

He shot back with a soft chuckle before seeing Owl and Rex make their way over from across the bay.

Jerome: But by the looks of things, playtimes over. Guess we got to go save a Hut now.

Ahsoka: Yeah, I won't be bored, though.

Ahsoka said as the duo walked towards the clones as the overhead comms of the vessel was preparing to receive a Republic shuttle into the bay. The scouts had returned, and from there, the planning could commence for saving the son of the most renounced crime lords in the galaxy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.1K 448 26
Anala isn't a fan of Anakin Skywalker, but little did she know he was about to turn her whole world upside down. "I can't stand you" "I know" THERE W...
545 23 7
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... An ancient Sith Lord dwelled, hidden across the galaxy. Over the years, he has amassed a small crew to...
424K 8.1K 111
You are Obi-Wan Kenobi's padawan during the middle of the clone wars. After a battle that almost costs you your life, everything changes. Gender neut...
Runaway By ct8924

Fanfiction

330 27 14
CT-8924 is a clone trooper serving in the great army of the Republic. But he feels like he doesn't belong to the battle field. So he decides to run a...