The Panther's IronHeart (Shur...

By Sapphire4340

One year after the events of Black Panther Wakanda Forever Riri leaves Wakanda to continue her studies back a... More

Prologue
One Year Later
Internal Affairs
Don't Freeze
The Dinner
The Unexpected
You Can't Be Trusted
The Only Way
Inner Thoughts
Am I an Avenger?
Stay With Me
Aftermath

Lab Partners

1.4K 38 71
By Sapphire4340

The aircraft raced through the air as Okoye monitored the holographic projections on the screen to make sure they were still on course to Wakanda.

Shuri was uneasy the entire ride since Riri wasn't speaking to her or Okoye she had been silent only asking how long until they reached Wakanda.

Shuri hadn't meant to just stare at the young woman but she also wanted to respect her wishes in wanting to be left alone. Shuri just wished the engineer would speak to her.

Riri was perched on a pillowed cover bench looking out at the rising sun. Something about the way the sun was hitting Riri's face made Shuri's breath hitch in her throat. Shuri hadn't seen Riri in so long but she never forgot the young woman's effect that she inflicted. Riri's features were still beautiful from her melanated skin to the way her cheeks would slightly perk up when she was happy about something, her tone of voice was low, and the way she pronounced words was beautiful. The sun was illuminating Riri, she was able to see the slight hints of brown in her braided hair as well as her eyes lit up and showcased the brown in her iris'.

Shuri hadn't realized that she was staring at Riri so intensely until those brown iris met her gaze and Riri's brows perked up in concern.

"Hey Shuri, you alright?" Riri asked her low voice laced with hesitation.

Shuri didn't break eye contact as she answered boldly "Actually now that you ask no I'm not alright, you haven't spoken to me since we came onto the aircraft,"

Riri's face flushed as she brought her hands together and rubbed the back of her neck. Shuri recognized the motion from when the young engineer was nervous.

"I mean if I've upset you in any way I would like to know so we can fix this Riri you're my friend and I don't want you angry with me," Shuri added before Riri had a chance to respond

Okoye was silent as she continued to navigate the aircraft but she turned her head to Shuri and said "Princess, mhlawumbi yayiyinto engalunganga ukuyithetha (Princess, that was probably the wrong thing to say),"

Shuri didn't realize this until she saw Riri's face as she took in the words that Shuri just said.

"Friends..." Riri hung on to the word and Shuri instantly felt her heart shatter at once but she had no idea why.

Did Riri no longer want them to be friends?

"Yeah Shuri I am a bit upset at the fact that I haven't heard or seen you in a whole year, complete radio silence, that's kind of bullshit and now all of a sudden when the feds come knocking at my door here you are all of a sudden you just pop up again just like you did in my dorm last year," Riri responded, "So forgive me, friend, if I am a bit overwhelmed seeing you after everything that happened don't get me wrong you look amazing and you haven't changed at all which isn't a bad thing it's just ugh..." Shuri's mouth slowly perked up with a genuine smile as she watched Riri ramble and trip over her words.

Shuri understood Riri's frustration which prompted the panther to approach Riri's current spot by the window.

"Riri, I am truly sorry that I hadn't made a better effort to reach out to you this past year it's just I was still processing everything that happened between my brother and also my mother I was still mourning and I needed time but that is no excuse I should have done better and made an effort to make sure you were still alright," Shuri's voice was filled with sincerity as she extended her hand she didn't try to pull Riri she waited for the young engineer to grab hold of her hands.

When Riri reached out Shuri couldn't help the swelling of her heart as she smiled seeing their hands intertwine.

"No Shuri, I'm an asshole you've been through so much because of me and I am being a shitty friend ranting about only my feelings without asking you how you've been, Shuri I'm sorry," Riri said as her eyes stared at their conjoined hands.

"Mamela kum (Listen to me) Riri," Shuri responded to Riri's apology

Shuri knew that Riri didn't speak her native language but she saw how Riri responded to her when she did. Shuri noticed how Riri's eyes never left hers as if she was studying every syllable that was coming out even if she didn't understand. "What happened last year was not your fault Riri I need you to hear me and understand that," Shuri added

"Yeah I hear you Shuri," Riri smirked as her face cheeks flushed slightly "I don't know why you feel the need to catch me off guard speaking to me in Xhosa you know I don't understand,"

"You seemed to listen just fine," Shuri smiled as she gauged Riri's reaction to her teasing tone.

"Whatever Shuri," Riri giggled

"You're lucky I like you Riri, I wouldn't take this kind of treatment from anyone else," Shuri teased Riri again as the younger woman rolled her eyes and slightly pushed her back. Due to Shuri's superhuman strength, the push didn't move her anywhere Shuri just chuckled as she softly grabbed onto Riri's hands again since she missed the way that their hands felt together.

"Oh yeah right Okoye treats you worse than I do," Riri responded loudly

The General gaze never left the screens but she simply said "I heard that small girl,"

Riri laughed as her gaze met Shuri's again "But all jokes aside I like you Shuri a lot," Shuri could hear Riri's heart rate rapidly increase after she said she liked her.

Does she mean more than a friend? Shuri thought to herself as she watched Riri reposition herself as she threw her legs over Shuri's lap stretching her limbs out.

"Nice to know I'm useful as a footstool for you," Shuri joked as she made the engineer laugh.

"The most comfortable piece of furniture I know," Riri responded "So how has this year been for you did you make any major groundbreaking discoveries other than messing with my suit," Riri added as she cut her eyes at Shuri

"Modifying.  It was just a few recalibrations to help it move smoothly after the last battle in the Atlantic," Shuri defended herself

Riri's response was a bright smile "But after successfully recreating the synthetic heart-shaped herb we now have a thriving ecosystem ready for the next Panthers to come after me." As Shuri said that she beamed thinking about T'Challa and how proud he would have been seeing what she has accomplished

"I also see that you made improvements to your AI in your kimoyo earrings," Shuri added making Riri look at her quizzically

"And how did you know that?" Riri asked her voice dripping with curiosity

"Because I can see all the modifications that you made from Wakanda," Shuri answered without thinking until she realized what she just admitted to Riri.

And unfortunately for Shuri, Riri being a genius caught onto her as soon as she answered the question. "So you've been stalking me huh?" Riri teased suddenly Shuri felt her body temperature begin to increase

"No, I wouldn't call it stalking," Shuri replied quickly as she smiled her nerves were starting to take over

"Then what would you call it?" Riri challenged as she smirked watching how the interrogation was affecting her.

"Okoye how far are we from home," Shuri broke their eye contact as she turned to Okoye avoiding the question

"Nkosazana (Princess), Riri we are home," Okoye replied as she faced Shuri's flustered face softly chuckling at the panther.

They were approaching the river border two river tribe men started to beat the drums in a beautiful harmonious rhythm as the protective barrier was unveiled and Wakanda came into Shuri's line of sight. The panther watched Riri's face light up as she saw the entrance to Wakanda again her eyes taking in the tall building and gravity suspension railways and the people walking along the roads and riverbanks.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing your home Shuri," Riri sighed in wonderment

It could be your home too. An intrusive thought popped into Shuri's head that she had to push back since the aircraft was slowly descending toward the palace.

Shuri made her way to the front of the aircraft while Riri followed.

"Okoye ndifuna ukuba uthumele ezinye zeDora Milaje ukuba ziyokulanda umama kaRiri kufuneka ndiyazi ukuba ukhuselekile sizakumzisa eWakanda kwaye uzakuba selugcinweni lwethu. (Okoye I need you to send out some of the Dora Milaje to retrieve Riri's mother I need to know that she is safe we will bring her to Wakanda and she will be in our protective custody)," Shuri said to Okoye as the general made an 'X' with her arms and slightly nodded her head

"Understood Panther," Okoye immediately followed Shuri's orders as she pulled her kimoyo bracelet out and contacted Ayo for further instructions.

Riri watched the exchange with interest and Shuri noticed how the engineer was looking at her. Riri's eyes drifted down; she couldn't hold Shuri's intense gaze anymore.

Is she staring at my tattoo? Shuri thought as she followed Riri's eyes.

Shuri approached Riri and she softly tilted her chin so the engineer was looking up at her, Shuri never realized how much she liked the height difference between them until now and from this angle she could see how Riri's eyes continuously looked down at her lips. "What's up Riri?" Shuri finally spoke

"Nothing that conversation just seemed serious," Riri answered quickly, her voice seeming to get lower in octave.

"That's because I was talking about something serious," Shuri's tone matched Riri's as they continued to stare into each other's eyes.

"Yeah, you definitely went into Panther mode." Riri chuckled, breaking the tension between them.

Shuri almost choked on her breath when she heard what Riri said

"Panther mode?" Shuri inquired pushing Riri to explain herself

"Well after you became the black panther you had a completely different aura surrounding you," Riri said slowly like she was trying to articulate her words properly

"Please continue, I'm intrigued." Shuri laughed as she waited for Riri to finish her thought

"Nah forget I said anything," Riri tried to look away from Shuri in embarrassment but she still had her chin hostage, not in a forceful way but it was so Riri could look directly at Shuri

"Hey don't look away you won't hurt my feelings whatever you tell me, I would like to understand what you mean I won't make fun of you," Shuri reassured Riri and she took a shaky breath

"You just get really...intense." Riri finally said her heart started to race again. This time Shuri's heart matched the rhythm

"Intense in a bad way?" Shuri asked, her voice laced with concern. Shuri didn't want to scare Riri in any way.

"Nah, not in a bad way, it's just... different," Riri answered as her eyes gazed down at Shuri's lips again.

Different? Shuri had a feeling that Riri was hinting at something else entirely but before she could question it further the Dora Milaje stepped onto the aircraft and greeted her and Riri. Shuri quickly removed Riri's chin from her grip as she face the warriors

"Panther we received word from Okoye that we will take the aircraft and retrieve Miss Williams' mother and bring her back to Wakanda,"

"That's correct you will need to leave immediately I want to make sure that she is safe," Shuri ordered the warriors

"Yes Panther," The Dora obeyed as they made an 'X' with their hands as they rushed toward a nearby aircraft.

Shuri didn't have to see Riri's reaction; she could hear how her breathing was labored and could feel the heat from her skin increase. "Come on Riri I'm tired and I'm sure we could both use some rest," Shuri said as she grabbed Riri's hand softly pulling her out of the aircraft.

"Yeah...cool I uh..." Riri was at a loss for words as the two women walked into the Wakandan palace.

~ ~

Riri had to put some distance between herself and Princess Shuri; the scientist was beginning to make her head spin out of control. Riri needed space so she could breathe properly and slow her heart rate down. Riri was able to slip away from the Princess since they were in separate living quarters.

As she explored her massive room Riri couldn't help the way that her breath caught as she saw some of Shuri's clothes hanging in the closet for her to change into.

Had Shuri ordered for her clothes to be moved into this room? Riri thought

"These look better on you any way you don't have to give them back," Shuri said a year ago as she watched Riri walk into the lab with her clothes on.

Riri stopped daydreaming about the past as she threw herself on the giant bed in her room. Riri tried to focus on anything else but her every thought went back to Shuri she couldn't help herself. The Princess was still as beautiful as she was a year ago and she tried to take the rejection well enough when she asked her out before she left Wakanda.

Shuri never accepted her offer and avoided Riri the entire time which was another reason she was upset with Shuri but she wasn't going to tell her that. Though Riri understood what Shuri was dealing with a year ago after losing everything that she loved and then taking up the mantle as the Black Panther Riri couldn't imagine what the Princess' was going through mentally to even consider dating anyone.

Or maybe the Princess just didn't see Riri the way that she saw her. Riri's shameless reactions to Shuri didn't mask her inner thoughts well, only a fool couldn't see Riri's attraction to the Princess.

Though Riri could have sworn that Shuri was flirting with her on the aircraft she just couldn't be sure. The Princess was hard to read also Shuri could have just been showing concern about their friendship. Riri didn't want to dwell on it anymore or she felt like her head would explode.

Riri decided to take a walk to clear her head.

An hour later she found herself lost inside the palace; she wasn't sure she ended up. The only logical solution Riri could come up with is sending out a location ping and hopefully, her stalking Princess would actually answer her this time.

Riri giggled at the thought.

As the location detector started beeping in Riri's kimoyo earrings a familiar voice answered the response.

A woman in red appeared before her; it was the new General of the Dora Milaje. Her face was stoic as she watched Riri.

"Hello your name is Ayo right sorry it's been a while you probably don't remember me," Riri started talking

"Miss Riri Williams, how could I forget the woman who risked her life to save Wakanda," Ayo's face slightly broke into a warm smile.

"Oh I didn't know I was still so popular around here," Riri grabbed the back of her neck

"You aren't that popular just amongst the Dora and the Black Panther especially," Ayo chuckled to herself.

Riri ignored the comment Ayo made as she continued to walk down an unfamiliar corridor.

"Are you lost, Miss Riri Williams?" Ayo asked in amusement as she watched Riri look around in confusion

"You know you can just call me Riri, and yeah I have no idea where I am," Riri admitted in embarrassment

"Well it looks like you're currently taking the long way to the lab if you keep going straight you will see some gravity suspension shuttles that will take you right up to the lab," Ayo directed

"Oh for real thanks Ayo I'll just make my way over there then," Riri's excitement was evident in her eyes as she continued to walk towards the lab.

"I will inform the panther of your whereabouts," Ayo stated

Riri rolled her eyes, "There's no need I'm pretty sure she's stalking me as we speak Ayo! So she'll probably meet me in the lab,"

"I see... well please be careful on your way to the lab," Ayo smiled as the kimoyo earrings cut off the projection.

As Riri got closer to the shuttles she was able to see the scale of the transportation area. It seemed to go on for miles which didn't shock Riri the lab was underground. There was a single source of natural light miles above her. Riri remembered this is where the aircraft would land above the mountain and you could easily descend into the lab below.

The shuttle was massive as it gently floated above the track. Riri stepped into the shuttle and the doors gently shut behind her as she sat on a cushion next to the window.

"Next stop The Wakanda Palace laboratory" an automated melodic voice announced as the shuttle gently started moving.

Riri relaxed as she watched the gears shift and retract on the railways; she was so impressed with just how technically advanced Wakanda was. Riri wasn't able to fully appreciate the splendor of everything since the last time she was here she was mainly inside the lab working with Shuri.

The smooth ride slowly came to a halt as the shuttle doors opened as Riri walked into the lab.

Riri suddenly felt at home again. She hadn't realized how much she missed this lab. Having the freedom to work on anything without judgment or technological restraints.

Riri walked around the familiar lab staring up at the colorful graffiti spray-painted art that popped out against the white of everything else in the lab. The young engineer decided to race up the stairs and look at the environmental section at the top of the lab. This is where Shuri recreated the heart-shaped herb. The once dying plants and empty glass containers were now filled with lively glowing purple plants with flourishing vegetation surrounding the top floor.

Riri softly traced her fingers along the soft petals of the plant as she remembered when Shuri stayed up all night working on the herb. She remembered the scientist's resiliency as she picked herself up after every failure.

Riri started to walk down the stairs and she smiled brightly as her eyes met the familiar sight of her old workspace where she created her suit. Everything else was pristine and tidy while her area was exactly how she left it. Old gears and parts were scattered along the floor and table. Riri was confused as to why all of her stuff was still there.

"I knew I would find you here," the familiar voice called from behind Riri, making her heart involuntarily speed up.

Riri turned and faced Shuri as she watched the Princess walk up the stairs.

"Mmmm did your kimoyo beads tell you that?" Riri chuckled as she watched Shuri smirk mischievously

"No I just know you," Shuri stated as she walked closer to Riri

Riri noticed the Princess' outfit she was wearing her all-white two-piece ensemble that showcased her toned arms from the way that the shirt arms were shortened. Riri also caught a quick glance at Shuri's abs that were on display.

The engineer quickly averted her gaze to Shuri's hair realizing that the Princess undid her braid out and her curls were beautifully defined next to her freshly designed fade on the side of her head.

"Is there something on my face?" Shuri asked Riri

She had been caught staring again

"Nope nothing I just noticed your hair it looks beautiful," Riri complimented Shuri

Shuri's neck flushed as she turned away from the engineer for a second before turning back around to face her.

"Why did you never get rid of this stuff Shuri I'm sure nobody in Wakanda is using scrap metal on their inventions," Riri glanced at her workstation

"This is your area Riri,  I wanted you to have a place that you could come back to and know that it's yours," Shuri answered sweetly as she leaned against one of the tables watching as Riri gathered the notes and calculations she made a year ago.

"Shuri that's really sweet but you didn't have to do that," Riri sadly looked at everything scattered along the floor and started tidying up the area

"I know Riri, but I wanted to. Please know that you always have a place here however long that may be and if that means you drop by and steal my food and electricity to build another crazy weapon or suit you can whenever you want," Shuri spoke her tone was low

Riri tried to hold back her smile as she started to put the pieces of metal on the table as she listened to Shuri's words. "So you mean to tell me that I can come to Wakanda and kick it here anytime I want I'll hit you up on my kimoyo earrings and you will actually pick up this time?" Riri asked hesitantly

"I'll do you one better give me your arm," Shuri stretched her hand waiting for Riri to come closer

Riri obeyed as she handed Shuri her wrist and suddenly Shuri slide a kimoyo bracelet on her. They were officially matching Riri looked down at the new piece of technology in awe.

"Our kimoyo bracelets have a direct link already installed inside the interface so you would just need to activate the bracelet and you can contact anyone directly inside of the palace so now you have two ways of getting into contact with me," Shuri smiled brightly

Riri was slowly becoming overwhelmed again "Shuri I don't know what to say really this is so thoughtful,"

Shuri got closer to Riri so close that their bodies were almost touching "You don't have to say anything, after everything that you did for Wakanda I don't see a reason why you can't make this your home away from home," The princess explained happily

There was silence between the two women until Shuri interrupted.

"Hey would you like to have dinner with me tonight after I finish all of my meetings for the day?" Shuri asked as she started fiddling with her fingers

"That sounds nice seeing everyone again at dinner," Riri replied looking up at Shuri

"No, it's not a dinner with the council it would just be you and me. Alone." Shuri reiterated

Riri stopped breathing for a second as she tried to fix the shocked expression on her face as she tried to find the words to properly articulate a response but all she could come up with was "Oh..."

Shuri's body instantly stiffened Riri could tell in her posture she was becoming uncomfortable

"Sorry if that sounds a bit forward I just wanted to hang out with you since it's been so long I figured..." Shuri started to say but was cut off

"Yes, I would love to have dinner with you Shuri just let me know the time and where to be and I'll be there, and the food better be slammin" Riri answered the Princess hoping that she could see how excited she was.

Shuri must have noticed since Riri saw her visibly relax after the engineer accepted.

Riri started to walk down the stairs as she noticed Shuri stayed in the same position

"Are you coming or do you have work to do still?" Riri asked the scientist

"I need to record some samples of the new heart shape herb seedlings I need to make sure they won't corrupt the already existing plantlife," Shuri said

"Would you like an assistant?" Riri asked as she walked back up the stairs

Shuri smiled and said, "You think you can handle being my assistant?"

"Yeah I can handle you Shuri," Riri challenged the taller woman as she started the walk up to the upper floor Shuri trailing behind her

"Alright then let me put you to work then," Shuri teased as she watched Riri walk up the stairs

"Tempting me with a good time, let's go then," Riri called out as she walked over to the newly sprouted seedlings pulling out the holographic projection-filled data. Riri pushed her sleeves up showing her defined muscular toned arms as she started organizing the workspace.

Riri caught Shuri staring at her. Riri smiled brightly and continued setting up the area while Shuri started pulling out goggles and gloves. Once everything was set up the two women worked alongside each other seamlessly for hours as they both chose to ignore the growing tension building between them.

~~

AHHHH! I'm not gonna lie ya'll this chapter was so much fun to write! Starting to build the tension between Shuri and Riri has me kicking my feet 😍

I am so obsessed with these two and I have some awesome content in store for ya'll for the next chapter! 💕

Leave your comments about how you feel about this chapter I am obsessed with reading your reactions and how you are liking the story! 🤩

This will be the last chapter for today I will update again soon! I appreciate all the love that I have been receiving I will see ya'll very soon with the next chapter! 🙋🏽‍♀️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.7K 1.1K 31
You've been searching for this long and hard.. You've been staring at it all along.. You've been searching for me all along.. You don't have to ke...
4.5K 73 11
๐—ง๐—›๐—œ๐—ฆ ๐—•๐—ข๐—ข๐—ž ๐—œ๐—ฆ ๐—™๐—œ๐—Ÿ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—— ๐—ช๐—œ๐—ง๐—› ๐—Ÿ๐—จ๐—ฆ๐—ง, ๐—ฃ๐—”๐—ฆ๐—ฆ๐—œ๐—ข๐—ก ๐—”๐—ก๐—— ๐—ฆ๐—˜๐—ซ แตƒโฟแตˆ แต’แถœแถœแตƒหขโฑแต’โฟแตƒหก แตˆสณแตƒแตแตƒ!! แฐ”แฐ”แฐ”แฐ” sสœแดส€แด› sแด›แดส€ษชแด‡s sแด›แด€ส€ส€ษชษดษข แด›สœแด‡ แดษดแด‡ แด€ษดแด… แด...
2.5K 41 14
Die Hard sequal Princess Shuri X OC
2.2K 52 14
๐“˜ ๐“ผ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ด ๐“ฒ๐“ฝ ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ฏ๐“ธ๐“ป ๐“ช ๐“ผ๐“ฝ๐“ป๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ฎ๐“ป ๐“˜๐“ฏ ๐“˜ ๐“ฝ๐“ธ๐“ต๐“ญ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐”€๐“ฑ๐“ธ ๐“˜ ๐“ช๐“ถ, ๐”€๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ต๐“ญ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“พ๐“ผ๐“ฎ ๐“ฒ๐“ฝ ๐“ช๐“ฐ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ผ๐“ฝ ๐“ถ...