The Panther's IronHeart (Shur...

By Sapphire4340

One year after the events of Black Panther Wakanda Forever Riri leaves Wakanda to continue her studies back a... More

Prologue
Internal Affairs
Don't Freeze
Lab Partners
The Dinner
The Unexpected
You Can't Be Trusted
The Only Way
Inner Thoughts
Am I an Avenger?
Stay With Me
Aftermath

One Year Later

1.6K 34 39
By Sapphire4340

Wakanda

"Good morning Panther'  Griot's thunderous announcement awoke Shuri from her slumber. Her eyes lazily gazed at the surroundings around her she rolled her eyes at the sight.

She slept in her lab again, papers for new technological repairs were scattered around the long white desk.

"Griot, why are you waking me up so early in the morning?" Shuri rubbed her eyelids as she scanned over the botany reports of how the synthetic heart-shaped herbs were progressing. Analyzing the results of last month there were twenty that have now skyrocketed to forty herbs.

'Panther you were being called to a meeting with King M'Baku and the elders I reminded you of this just yesterday in our daily schedule debrief'

Shuri grimaced at the idea of going into a meeting with the elders "Yeah, I may have to pass on that Griot," she replied dryly as she scanned through more documents

'If I may Panther it would be very beneficial...'

"I think that it would be beneficial for you to stop Griot before I disconnect you for the day I have made up my mind I am not going," Shuri stated matter of factly

Shuri just realized that she hadn't changed her clothes last night as she looked down at her gray jumpsuit. She needed to shower as soon as possible.

'Panther.' Griot announced as she began to walk to the first level of the lab 'I just received a notification from the United States a location ping from Massachutes would you like for me to respond,'

Shuri's breath caught in her throat as she remembered the now 20-year-old scientist she smiled as she recalled her short stature and fiery loyal attitude, brown eyes and deeply rich melanated skin, and her...

'Panther would you like for me to respond' Griot interrupted her thoughts once again

"No Griot it's fine just continue running tests on the gravity suspensions on the new railways that we are building around the border tribe please," Shuri quickly dismissed Griot

'As you wish Panther'

Shuri made her way out of her lab and into the palace corridors the carpets all aligned with bright gold and black trimmings. The morning sun was glistening overhead as Shuri looked up at dome-shaped windows on the ceiling.

As Shuri turned the corner to the sovereign chambers, massive portraits were showcased on each side of the walkway black and white intricately painted portraits of T'Challa and her mother Queen Ramonda were beautifully displayed.

Shuri sometimes struggled going down this corridor with their faces looking at her. She still misses them every day since her mourning ritual in Haiti she was able to fully process her brother's death. Her mother was different; her death hurt still she believed that she was responsible, even though she knew exactly whose fault it was. Namor.

Shuri felt her breath shallow and her heart rate speed up, she didn't realize that she was gripping her tablet so hard that she snapped it in half, she focused on her breathing so she could control her anger.

She stormed away from the portraits and into her bedroom tossing the ruined tablet into a trash chute on the wall. Shuri stripped out of her clothing and turned on the shower turning the dial as hot as it would go she immediately stepped underneath the massaging shower head. Even with the water steaming hot, she didn't flinch, Shuri massaged her scalp with her conditioner letting her curls soak up the product.

As she continued to massage her scalp memories of her mother braiding her hair as a child for hours in this very room flashed in her mind. Tears started to fall down her cheeks remembering her mother's voice and her presence always comforting her as she experimented with her very first inventions while connecting with her mother.

Shuri needed to focus on her breathing; she couldn't let her emotions get the best of her. She decided not to kill Namor that day because she knew it was for the betterment of Wakanda. Though there were some days that she struggled with that decision.

Was her mother's life not worth war? Shuri thought as the water ran down her back. It was but she never would have wanted it.

After her shower, Shuri braided her hair back into four cornrows, attaching the braids in the back and securing them with a golden string. She made her way into her walk-in closet and picked out a black jumpsuit with white and gold on the sides completing the outfit with all-white shoes.

Shuri put back on her kimoyo bracelet and earrings and as she did the chimes started softly ringing from her waist.

Suddenly M'Baku's voice came into her ears "Princess where are you?" his boisterous voice rang

"I don't know what you mean?" Shuri answered back playing dumb

"I will believe that you are clueless about today when your brain is the size of mine," he answered back " Or maybe your brain is smaller," M'Baku chuckled

Shuri smiled brightly "I didn't think I was needed in the elders' meeting since you are the King after all, do I really need to show?"

"You are the Black Panther Shuri, you can not bury yourself in your research you are Wakanda's protector," M'Baku stated softly

"I know... I'm not hiding but can I not just make an appearance when I'm needed," Shuri snapped back as she opened the door from her room to head back into the lab and she was met with M'Baku in front of her door as she slammed into him.

Shuri was in shock as M'Baku turned off his kimoyo beads and said "You are needed now come on,"

Shuri groaned lightly, "Fine but only for ten minutes," she stormed in front of M'Baku as they both headed into the conference room.

Massachusetts

Riri was exhausted from listening to her professor drone on about a rudimentary equation on the board. She already understood everything that the professor was teaching. The slow drawl of the instructor was draining the entire atmosphere of the lecture hall.

"Isn't that right Miss Williams," a sharp voice cut the silence in the room

Slowly several heads turned to look at her in anticipation.

Riri just smirked and stared at the board and there was a question written down 'Would this equation be safe to use?' When Riri didn't respond quickly enough he decided to cut in again making Riri smirk.

"The statement Miss Williams was my equation is sufficient enough to sustain flight on a personal level," Dr. Phillis boldly announced "And I asked you if that is correct Miss Williams,"

Riri watched as some students snickered and others were utterly unimpressed by the whole ordeal. She can only find it comical she has already been back at MIT for a month and already she knew word spread around the Science wing to challenge Riri Williams the prodigy genius that ran circles around her professors the year prior. If they thought for any reason that she lost her touch they would all be sorely mistaken.

"I'm sorry I was taking notes?" Riri responded, her voice projecting through the hall. Riri looked over the equation on the board for a couple of moments "It's sufficient enough if you want the motor to malfunction," she responded with her voice low but it was loud enough for the entire lecture hall to hear. 

"Your numbers are a bit off," Riri added while she turned her head down as she wrote down more calculations that she needed to check for the suit she was currently rebuilding, and the professor's face reddened in embarrassment.

"Well you may want to rethink that statement, Miss Williams because this was tested and has already made a successful flight," the professor argued back pointing to the chunky metal shoes that were supposed to lift from the ground.

Another round of chuckles from the students started again as Riri looked back at her cocky professor.

"Then why do you care about what I think is going to work Dr. Phillips," Riri asked with a fierce intensity "Why don't you just prove me wrong and show us the proven successful flight that your equation is going to deliver," Riri's voice had a slight challenging edge while she smiled and lay back in her seat.

Dr. Phillips scoffed and secured the motorized boots to his feet and snatched the remote from his desk and switched it on. The boots made a loud noise as they started the lift off the ground. Dr. Phillips smiled brightly as he pressed another button and he hovered to the left side slowly.

Riri's face deadpanned as she started to hear the gears overworking but she just stayed quiet. She was going to give this experimental trial less than a minute.

"As you can see by allowing the..." Dr. Phillips' stopped speaking when the right boot's motor stopped suddenly and shortly after the left motor started heating up and quickly lifted into the air pulling Dr. Phillip's leg up as his back hit the floor as he screamed for assistance.

A couple of students that were in the front row ran to the front and pulled the left boot off Dr.Phillips as it quickly shot up to the roof with no intention of coming down no matter how many buttons the students were pressing on the remote.

"Mmmm who would have guessed that would have happened," Riri sighed as she started packing up her bags as some students started giggling. "Might want to keep working on that equation Dr. P, see you next week," Riri opened the lecture hall door for Engineering 502 and strolled out into the chilly Boston air.

'Did you have to show him out like that kid?'

The automated voice of Riri's AI sounded softly as a blue hologram of Tony Stark came into view.

Riri chuckled as she continued to walk to her dorm.

"Hey he asked I was minding my business waiting for class to end," she shrugged her shoulders. AI Tony chuckled his suit clean and hair slightly messy as he pushed his sunglasses up his face.

Since Riri found her kimoyo earrings from Wakanda she adjusted the programming for a couple of months to look and have almost the same mannerisms as the late Tony Stark she even got his cocky sarcastic attitude just right.

'That's true the price of a brilliant mind is someone is always trying to prove how much smarter they are than you while failing beautifully'

"For me to be young, gifted, and black people always think I can't do things," Riri answered back directly

'You stayed up late messing with the rocket beams on your armored suit,'

"Yeah the radiation levels are off I want to make sure it won't damage the suit or me while I shoot," Riri continued to talk thinking about traveling to the garage tonight again to continue improving her suit calibrations.

Before Stark AI could respond Riri quickly collapsed the AI since she noticed a familiar tall frame that sported a dark green flannel with washed-out blue jeans with two long braids.

"MJ, what's up girl?" Riri smiled brightly as the young girl approached her from across the campus

"Hey Riri," MJ awkwardly smiled without teeth as she brought her backpack closer to her. "Was meeting up with Ned to study for our chemistry exam wanna tag along,"

"Oh Nah I already have plans," Riri answered back, her eyes shifting toward the parking lot.

"With someone in particular?" MJ's eyes suddenly got bigger with a smirk slowly appearing on her face.

Riri rolled her eyes and laughed a bit as she started to play with her hands in a nervous gesture "No I already told you I am not interested in anyone just focused on my work,"

"Yeah, I remember when you lied the first time," MJ smiled "But I won't hound you about it none of my business,"

"Why are you so damn perceptive?" Riri admonished

"Just my natural born quirk I suppose, well I'll see you around Riri remember Ned invited you to our sleepover again,"

"What has he planned? More security surveillance of Spiderman sightings?" Riri questioned

"I think so I don't know why he is so obsessed I mean I know he is an Avenger but it's becoming concerning," MJ sounded concerned

"I can't believe after all these years no one has been able to figure out the face behind the mask," Riri answered back

"Yeah, you're right," MJ said as her eyes furrowed as if she was trying to remember a distant memory "Well whoever he is has a great undercover persona I need to learn from him," she added

The chime of a bell started ringing signaling the beginning of the next round of lectures.

"Shit! I gotta go so we will see you at the sleepover right?" MJ answered as she started running into the Science wing.

"I'll text you and let you know," Riri yelled back as she watched MJ nod while she continued sprinting into the building.

'To the garage then,' the Stark AI rang through unexpectedly

Riri nodded in agreement as she made her way to the parking lot where her red car was as she zoomed through the Boston streets.

Wakanda

An hour later Shuri's head started to pound as she listened to the babbling squabble of the elders' back-and-forth ranting that reverberated through the conference room. She hadn't been in this room since the invasion of Talokan refusing to enter until it was completely repaired.

It had taken several days to drain the water that flooded the room and another week to completely repair the glass windows and flooring to its former glory. But to Shuri, nothing in this room could return to glory after that day.

Shuri's eyes started to daze around the conference room staring at the renovated glass flooring. Her thoughts drift back to her mother as flashes of her lying dead face down plague her memory. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath trying to refocus on the meeting that was currently still taking place.

"M'Baku we need to figure out what to do," the elder from the river tribe snapped aggressively, his green garments glistening in the sun.

At the moment the elders were discussing the forced ally of the Talokan nation, a decision that Shuri made not to kill him.

"It has been a year and we have heard no word from the Talokans," the elder from the merchant tribe her extravagant purple garments were starting to irritate her.

Shuri began to question how T'Challa was able to stay stagnant in a room listening to this useless exchange so many times a month. But not only that since Shuri became the Black Panther every sense was heightened so every breath overpowering scents and annoying jiggling garments were on high for Shuri.

"You say that like it is a bad thing," M'Baku stated plainly "Shuri did what was best for Wakanda. End of discussion, killing the Fishman would have waged a never-ending war," as he quickly defended Shuri.

"But we do not know where we stand with the Talokans should we not form an official alliance or treaty of some kind," a flash of red to Shuri's left indicated that the elder from the mining tribe spoke her voice heavy with concern.

"What kind of alliance?" Shuri spoke for the first time her mouth turning in a grimace "The alliance started when I spared Namor's life after the several acts of war that he inflicted on our people,"

The elders nodded in agreement at the Panther's statement.

"We understand but we all feel like it would put us all at ease if there was more of an official peace treaty between Wakanda and Talokan," the elder from the border tribe gave a rebuttal the several self-inflicted scars tucked behind his blue garments

"Has there been any reason why we need a document saying not to invade each other's kingdom?" Shuri's voice became dark "Have there been any sightings of the Talokans in Wakanda," she added in the elders all went silent and shook their heads no to answer the Panther.

"Then that does it for this topic on the agenda Fishman and his children are staying in their place so there will be no more discussion of them unless we see sightings of them around Wakanda," M'Baku contained the elders as he moved on the next topic "Next order of business the American,"

"Do you mean my favorite colonizer?" Shuri smiled for the first time since this meeting started. Everett Ross was on his way to federal prison before Okoye saved him and he has been taken into Wakandan protective custody since.

"No, Panther we mean the problem of the American that has knowledge of vibranium the one that you refused to kill," the mining tribe elder rolled her eyes

Shuri's defenses instantly activated; she was offended by her accusatory tone.

"What does Riri have to do with this conversation at all she did nothing wrong," Shuri defended the young woman

"She has knowledge that puts Wakanda at risk and she is just roaming around America as we speak how do we know that she is safe that her knowledge of our traditions and culture is safe," the river tribe elder spoke out

"She isn't roaming around she is currently in school," Shuri's voice was starting to project aggression

"And how would you know that Panther?" the mining tribe elder asked her tone short

Shuri's cheeks flushed slightly as she didn't realize that in her quick defense of Riri she gave away her secret of tracking the young woman.

"Look, Riri isn't going to be a problem, she would never sell us out," Shuri announced, her posture starting to stiffen from the interrogation of the elders.

"We can't be sure of that Panther I say we just deal with her now and get it out of the way," the border tribe elder snapped quickly

Suddenly Shuri stood up from her chair that was to the right of M'Baku the sound of the chair halted everyone's words " Listen I will say this once and once only we are not going to DEAL with Riri since there is nothing to do, a mind as brilliant as hers can not be overlooked just because she is an American and she has the knowledge of how to handle vibranium does not mean she is a threat to Wakanda,"

The room was silent for a moment before one of the elders spoke up "So you don't know then?" all eyes were on Shuri as the confusion on her face was quickly replaced by anger.

"Obviously I am missing something you all have been speaking nonsense the last hour and a half so please tell me something that actually interests me, WHAT. DO. I. NOT. KNOW?" Shuri's voice started to project in the room as everyone was silent.

M'Baku was quiet for a moment contemplating his words, probably trying his hardest not to anger the Black Panther any more than she already was.

"There was an attack..." M'Baku finally spoke slowly and deliberately.

Shuri's heart sank a bit as she continued to ask "An attack where?"

The tension was so heavy in this room that Shuri felt like she couldn't breathe properly that she almost missed the words that came from M'Baku next

"There was an attack on the MIT campus and Riri was there," 

~~

YAY! It's the beginning of the journey I am so excited to post more chapters I already have more chapters completed I just want to see how everyone is liking it and if I should continue to post more! 

Again I would love to see your feedback if you are loving the story so far! Comment everywhere I really appreciate any engagement! 

I am so appreciative of anyone that finds joy in my writing and I can't wait to show ya'll more! 💕

Bye loves! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 52 14
𝓘 𝓼𝓽𝓲𝓵𝓵 𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓴 𝓲𝓽 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓪 𝓼𝓽𝓻𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓻 𝓘𝓯 𝓘 𝓽𝓸𝓵𝓭 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝔀𝓱𝓸 𝓘 𝓪𝓶, 𝔀𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓾𝓼𝓮 𝓲𝓽 𝓪𝓰𝓪𝓲𝓷𝓼𝓽 𝓶...
4.7K 98 19
I do NOT own anything from Civil War or The Black Panther, this is only a fanfic. All rights go to Marvel! I only added in my Y/N's character and her...
636 18 6
𝐀 𝐛𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝟐 (𝐋𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐚 𝐖𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧) 𝘼 𝙥𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙪𝙡 𝙖𝙨𝙨𝙚𝙧𝙩𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙬𝙤𝙢𝙖𝙣 ⚢ Enjoy for the s...
42.3K 1.7K 28
"They said the sunsets in Wakanda were the most beautiful thing in the world, but as I sat there watching the sunset right in front of me, I just cou...