Poppy | Colin Bridgerton

By anxioustortoise

They just really like being near each other. Colin x OC More

Introduction
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Seven

Six

1K 38 2
By anxioustortoise

Poppy was sat between Colin and Gregory across from Eloise. Hyacinth was sitting next to Eloise and was leaning over her older sister while talking to Poppy. Eloise was attempting to push the younger girl off of her.

"Do you mind?"

"I do actually. Let's change seats."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

Colin moved closer to Poppy, whispering.

"I believe you have started a fight."

"It is simply because of my charming personality."

"Oh, I was going to say it was your combative personality influencing the children."

She narrowed her eyes and lightly kicked him under the table, he jumped in his seat unhurt but shocked, glaring at her but she simpered innocently at the man.

The commotion they caused had the entire table looking at them, halting any conversations or arguments.

"Are you alright dear?" Violet asked concerned

Poppy smiled innocently at Violet,

"Oh yes, I must apologise Lady Bridgerton. I had pointed out a spider to Colin forgetting he was afraid of them."

Colin sent her a glare and pinched her side and she flinched away batting at his hand.

"A spider?" Violet was watching the two in amused confusion.

"Yes, but don't worry, I took care of it for Colin. I would never want him too scared to eat." She grabbed his hand quickly to keep him from pinching her again. "Although now that I think of it, that may not be something I need to worry about considering his ravenous nature."

He whipped his head over to her and attempted to take his hand back but she darted her other hand over and held it in place on her lap.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"That you are rarely seen without a pastry in your hand."

Everyone at the table was watching them and laughed at Poppy's words.

"Well you are one to talk."

Poppy gasped in overdramatic,

"I don't know what you mean."

The rest of the Bridgertons and Simon decided to ignore the rest of the two's interaction and turned to their own conversations.

Colin and Poppy however continued to be immersed in each other. His expression morphed into a devilishly handsome and evil smirk.

"Well, you would if you were not hold-"

Poppy quickly shushed him after eyeing Hyacinth who was sneaking glances at them. She had squeezed Colin's hand and glared at him, their eyes boring into each other with a playful challenge.

This, for a reason that Colin felt he would never know the true answer, caused his heart to skip a beat. Maybe it was because her mama allowed her to dress in a colour that complimented her skin and figure, making her glow ethereally. Or maybe it was because her eyes were directly on him and he just knew that she could see into his soul, that their feelings were the same, that he had a chance.

But then. Well then his idiotic brother interupted them before Colin could get his answer.

Anthony had moved his arm around Gregory's shoulder and poked Poppy in the arm.

"Who do you believe this Whistledown to be?"

Her eyes tore away from Colin and she moved a hand to begin eating again before giving Anthony her all of her attention.

Colin glared at Anthony with a resentment that was entirely illogical but Colin was a selfish man when it came to Poppy, he wanted, no needed all of her attention.

"I don't know Anthony, she really is a mystery. The talk of the ton yet no one truly has a clue. She's very clever, whoever she is."

Anthony let out a thoughtful breath before entirely dismissing her words and Poppy rolled her eyes at the man.

"For all we know, Whistledown may be some interloper living in Bloomsbury of all places.

Poppy began to stuff her face with the food in front of her and Colin, who had begun gazing at the woman, decided to do the same. Both watched the table with a certain detached interest, each focusing on the fact that Poppy still held tightly to one of Colin's hands.

Colin stilled when Poppy began to absentmindedly play with his hand, it had taken him a few seconds before regaining his composure and attempting to keep his bright smile down enough so he'd look normal.

They were off in their own worlds, neither truly thinking of anything. But they were snapped back into reality once they heard Poppy's surname followed by a collective no.

She furrowed her eyebrows at Colin and he shrugged his shoulders. Their confusion lifted, however, at Eloise's words.

"You have yet to read what Whistledown writes of the Featheringtons, little sister." She turned to the one Featherington at the table, "Right Poppy?"

Her eyes widened at the sudden attention.

"Oh, yes. It couldn't have been my mother. She believes us to be a refined family and with the popularity of Whistledown, she would be unable to not brag about the achievement."

Violet, sensing that this may be an uncomfortable topic for Poppy, thought she'd better change the conversation and turned towards Simon.

"You must forgive this rather unruly debate, Your Grace."

He smiled at the matronly woman and lightly shook his head.

"Nonsens. I find it entertaining. All of you at one table, even the children."

"I realise it may be unfashionable, but..." she trailed over for a second looking around the table with loving eyes as she watched her children interact. Colin was not so subtly staring at Poppy who was not so subtly staring back. Eloise was talking to Francesca while the youngest of her children were squabbling. "We like each other. Most of the time."

Simon's smile grew at the woman and the family, he really did feel the warm and fuzzies with them, not that he'd ever admit it.

Violet kept talking.

"You should join us more often." Simon's smile began to dim, "Perhaps, when we travel to our country seat. You would be most welcome." She turned to Poppy, "Of course, you are too sweetheart." Anthony straightened in his chair, catching onto what his mother was doing.

He opened his mouth to speak-

"Gregory!" Hyacinth yelled. "You must stop tossing peas at me!"

"Those peas were already there!" he threw some more. "And you cannot tell me what to do. I am older!"

Hyacinth threw some back at him, one straying and hitting Poppy in the face. She couldn't contain her amusement at the two and let out a snort. Colin followed her with a few barely suppressed giggles.

"I am taller!"

Poppy started laughing harder, her hand gripped Colin's tighter as she tried to contain herself. It wasn't helping though as the man himself was barely holding it together and Poppy only made it worse when she quietly muttered to Colin while Lady Bridgerton was scolding the kids,

"As if that is difficult." He kicked her leg lightly. "What? He is short. Are you denying this?"

Colin shook his head at her before quietly whispering,

"He is sitting right next to you."

"He is licking his wounds after being yelled at." Colin rolled his eyes at the woman. "You must just be upset because being short is a familial trait."

The man scoffed,

"Are you calling me short?"

"Well, I am not calling you tall."

"I am much taller than you."

"Not that much."

Colin was offended and Poppy was laughing.

"I am the tallest of my family."

At that point Poppy was quite literally chortling at the man's indignation. She was preparing to respond with yet another fictitious taunt but became distracted when she overheard Francesca begin to discuss the Duke.

"He does have a presence about him."

Eloise just scoffed,

"If rakish Dukes were one's thing."

Poppy leaned over the table in an attempt to be closer to the two girls.

"They are not displeasing to look at, those rakes."

Eloise stared at the woman in pure disappointment while Francesca began to laugh, noticing her brother's agitation next to Poppy.

Colin squeezed her hand, possibly a little too hard and kicked him under the table, possibly a little too hard.

Deciding to start ignoring the woman next to him Colin looked at Benedict, getting his attention.

"I'm to spar with Jackson himself."

Poppy's head turned towards Colin so fast she most likely got whiplash.

"You?" Both Poppy and Benedict asked simultaneously.

Colin, being petty, was still ignoring Poppy.

"Is that envy I detect in your voice?"

Poppy, while slightly annoyed with the man next to her for putting himself in a potentially dangerous situation, began playing with his hand again, tracing each finger. Colin, while slightly annoyed with the woman next to him for purposefully taunting him, shuttered slightly at the feeling.

Benedict, oblivious to the interaction, continued.

"Judgement, brother. I shall need to witness this."

Poppy laced their hands together.

"I shall too."

Benedict smiled at her.

"I don't believe that a fight is the best place for you."

She scoffed at the man.

"And why is that?"

"Because I believe that you would be the one to end up fighting Jackson and not dear Colin."

She looked at Benedict indignantly.

"This is the second time I am hearing that I'm combative. I do not like this narrative."

Benedict smirked and Colin began laughing,

"Then stop fueling it."

"I am not."

Colin moved his head to look at her

"Tell that to my leg you keep kicking."

"It's about to be kicked again if you don't be quiet."

"So hostile." Benedict whispered across the table.

Colin snickered.

"Ow!" He yelped as he jumped in his chair. "I wasn't even the one who said it."

"Well, using your own logic, I am too short to reach Benedict."

Colin turned his back and forth from Poppy and Benedict, indignant.

"That's not my logic, it's factual."

"You are right, your logic is not factual."

Benedict howled out a laugh as Colin looked at the woman, stupefied. She simply looked back victorious.

The three began mocking each other for several minutes until they heard Simon's voice begin to raise over the chatter.

"The eldest sister of my oldest friend. Yet another recent subject of a certain writer. Chaste. Neat. Desperate."

"I shall have you know-"

"-To marry, that is."

Poppy's jaw dropped as Eloise let a laugh escape her lips. Colin's hand tightened around Poppy's, seemingly offended for his sister.

Anthony not enjoying the conversation either cleared his throat.

"Hastings. I am so glad you decided to join us this evening. It was most spontaneous of you."

Simon simply looked at the man blankly.

"Not at all. With Lady Danbury accepting your dear mother's gracious invitation on my behalf, well, how ever could I decline?" He looked over at Poppy. "I'm sure the same could be said for you."

Her eyes widened.

"Oh, I don't. I don't need to be included." She awkwardly waved her hand dismissively in the air.

Anthony turned to his mother with his jaw ticked and she smiled innocently back, he rolled his eyes.

"It is always a pleasure, Your Grace." Violet turned her attention towards the man before looking at the red faced woman sitting rather close to her third son. "And you Poppy, are always welcomed."

Poppy nodded at the Viscountess with a small smile.

"Thank you."

Daphne and Simon turned back towards each other, eager to resume their argument.

"You seem to consider the desire to marry a fault. Why is that?"

"I am afraid I cannot give you that answer, Miss Bridgerton. For if I offered you those rather unsavoury reasons, then I would be forced to marry you. And neither of us would want that now, would we?"

There was a pause in the conversation as Simon smiled at Daphne whose eyes changed for a moment. In that moment Violet recognized the look as one she would often share with Edmund, a look of pure desire. She had even seen it within Colin and Poppy. The Viscountess smiled in success, they were sure to be a match.

"Certainly not." Daphne eventually responded definitively.

Anthony on the other hand also recognized the look in his sister's face, having also seen it in his brother. His nostrils flared in annoyance, he stabbed his beef with his fork in a temper tantrum.

"Well. Tonight has been exceptional, but I am afraid it is getting late. Come, Poppy, Simon and I'll escort you home."

The young woman in question popped her head up and gapped at the man, shaking her head but began to stand up.

"I thought Colin would be the one to walk me home."

"No, I should-" Anthony began to speak but was cut off by his mother.

"Nonsense, Poppy you can sit back down." Slowly as she made eye contact with Anthony, Poppy sat down. The man was looking at her intensely trying to will her to stand back up with his mind. "Anthony. We have not even had our dessert." Violet moved her head towards the Duke. "Gooseberry pie, Your Grace."

Simon smirked at Anthony antagonistically. He cruelly took pleasure in his good friend's agitation.

"Ah. Lovely."

After Anthony attempted to force the dinner to finish, the meal went back to its usual chaotic mundaness. Once the meal had ended Colin was the one to walk Poppy home alongside a maid of course, to chaperone.

They walked close together, shoulders brushing, fingers occasionally making contact. When they reached the Featherington house they turned to each other. Colin looked down at his feet before looking at Poppy.

He opened his mouth to speak but Poppy beat him to the punch.

"Will you be at Vauxhall?"

"Will you?"

She nodded her head.

"With my mama, I should be in the attendance of all events there is an invitation."

He smiled at her softly, his eyes glowed with affection as he looked at her beautiful face.

"If you are there, then so am I."

Poppy's gaze darted towards their chaperone before quickly locking with his. She admired his features. She loved how even when his face was resting he'd smile.

Poppy had the immediate urge to hug the man but knew with the chaperone being there, she couldn't. Instead she reached out and briefly took his hand.

"Thank you."

Author Note:

It is out.

So, this isn't edited and I kind of started this a week ago but then finished it today, so there might be a bit of a disconnect.

The good news is that I have to sit in a room for like ten hours every day this week. So, there will probably be a lot of editing and writing being done.

ALSOOOOOOO, I have plans for Vauxhall. I have plans.

PEACE ✌️ 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46K 1.4K 23
The Vampire Diaries AU pretty much Finn Mikaelson x OC
892K 20K 46
βˆΎβœ§γ€‚MORE ۡ∾ ❛AND ALL THE THINGS THAT WE DREAM ABOUT THEY DON'T MEAN WHAT THEY DID BEFORE I JUST WANNA GET BACK TO US CAUSE WE USED...
3.6K 141 5
What are the odds of a viscount successfully wooing a princess who, for the love of heavens, could not stand him? I say, highly unpredictable.
26.1K 520 11
Weird mix of book and TV show. Eloise and Penelope wish to know more about the intimacies between men and women. Benedict uses this to take a turn at...