Seven

Be it shame or slander. Seduction or smear...

The Featherington sisters had their ears pressed to Marina's door listening to their mother's muffled yells.

Poppy looked at Penelope with concern but all the younger Featherington could do was shrug her shoulders, neither knew what was truly going on.

There is one thing that continues to humble even the most highly regarded members of our dear ton: A scandal.

"What do you think is going on in there?" Penelope whispered to her favourite sister.

"Maybe she convinced a maid to bring her soup and she spilled it in her bed."

"Do you really think mama would get that upset because of spilled soup?"

"When it comes to mama I do."

Penelope paused for a second before nodding her head in agreement.

Tonight, a privileged selection of only the most fashionable guests will descend upon the most scandal prone grounds in all of London: Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens...

Upon their arrival at Vauxhall Gardens Poppy took a deep breath, pausing before entering and smoothing down her disgustingly pink gown. Her moment was interrupted by her mama pushing her forward.

Lady Featherington leaned over Poppy's shoulder and whispered into her ear.

"I expect you to dance with two gentlemen tonight. Men that you will court and that Colin Bridgerton will not count as one."

Poppy's eyes darted over to her mother.

"But mama-"

"-No, questioning, I have been far too lenient with you."

Poppy swallowed and turned to her mother. She was taller than the older woman but Lady Featherington intimidated her to no end.

"Why does Colin not count?"

Her mother laughed.

"Do you really believe a Bridgerton would court you?" Poppy's face fell dramatically and she could feel tears begin to prick at her eyes. "You are a pretty girl but your obstinate personality will never get you a gentleman of quality. We shall settle for any man."

Lady Featherington then turned and walked away while her crushed daughter stared at her back with tears spilling over.

Its shaded garden walls, such as those of the Dark Walk, have covered for the most notorious of trysts. This author wonders which persons of quality shall be discovered tonight. Or better yet, how many?

There was a tap on Poppy's shoulder and she quickly wiped her face before slowly turning around and seeing Bartholomew Waverly.

He was smiling at her happily but it dimmed when he saw her face.

"Are you okay Poppy?"

Poppy sent him a very quick and extremely unconvincing smile, nodding her head slightly with a sniffle.

"I am here aren't I Bart?"

"Ahh, so you are not okay." Poppy huffed out a laugh and Bart smiled in triumph. "Why are you upset?"

Poppy looked down for a moment deciding whether or not she should answer.

"I, uh. My mama. She. She said that I must dance with two men tonight."

"Well, I know that is not ideal but I can't see that getting you this upset."

She shook her head.

"No, no, that's not it. I mean it is but." She took a breath. "She had said Colin would not count as a real dance because a Bridgerton would never court me due to my unruly personality and that I must settle for any man to look my way."