Rogues

Bởi Caleb_Brosme

Nathan Bryce is the next alpha in line, his pack has lived in River Valley for generations. Caleb Brosme is a... Xem Thêm

Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Chapter XLIX
Chapter L
Chapter LI
Chapter LII
Chapter LIII
Chapter LIV
Chapter LV
Chapter LVI
Chapter LVII
Author's Note

Chapter I

1.3K 29 4
Bởi Caleb_Brosme

- Nathan –

Today is the first day of senior year, which I'm not thrilled about. Sure, I love spending time with my friends and everything, but the idea of school and homework just ruins the whole thing. Besides it's the first-year rogues will be attending school. Why you may ask. A treaty. A couple of months ago the Lazarus pack arrived and settled right next to our town. That usually means trouble. Lazarus pack is the biggest and strongest rogue pack in the east and, possibly, the country. Usually, when a rogue pack meddles around that means they'll be attacking soon. Because that's what rogues due: attack, conquer, ravage, and move on. We expected this to be the case, but instead, they offered peace. I don't know why our alpha, my father, even agreed to that meeting in the first place. We are the strongest settled pack around; we have the terrain advantage. But my father decided it was best to avoid bloodshed and accept the agreement. That was two months ago, during summer break. Now three rogues are to attend school with us as part of the treaty. Everyone in the pack is extremely tensed about it, me included.

I'm heading down to school; I usually go walking because it gives me time to think and relax. Our town is big, and wolves form over 80% of the population, but we still decide to remain undercover. Very few humans know of the existence of werewolves and those who do, are because they married one. So, I am worried rogues might do something to screw that up. Supposedly, they were informed and warned about it, but one can never know what goes through their head. As soon as I entered, I saw my best friend running towards me, with a big smile on his face.

- Nate! Hey man, what's up? – he asked me as he hugged me. He is a few inches taller than me, so I had to stretch up to reach him.

- A bit nervous to say the truth. – I responded scratching my neck. His face nodded in agreement.

- I know, rogues are driving everyone crazy, and they haven't even arrived yet. – he said just as enthusiastically.

The thing with Mason is that no matter what, he always tries to keep an optimistic attitude. Even when my father gathered the whole pack and delivered the news, Mason didn't seem to care. That was a tense day, we were expecting war, but I must admit I felt a bit relieved afterward. The rest of my pack was already there, as we entered the classroom. Well, at least those that shared this same class. We all knew each other, so we already knew where to sit. Of course, rogues were the topic of conversation. We were having a major discussion of what they'd look like when Mr. Harrison, our teacher ordered us to sit down. He is a werewolf too, so he understands the situation. That's when three figures entered the room.

The first one was a girl, about 5'6''with beautiful blond hair, and green eyes. All the female werewolves in the class growled under their breath. She was stunning and very comfortable with her body judging by her clothes. She wasn't showing too much skin, but the clothes seemed to barely fit her, catching all the guy's attention. She was followed by a boy taller than her with messy light brown hair and green eyes. They must be twins or something because they look very alike. Both looked extremely fit and unfriendly, even though they were smiling. The last one was a 6'1'', with dark hair and the most piercing grayish-blue eyes I've ever seen. He didn't even bother to smile, his face was just blank. They all seem so strong, ready to fight at any second.

- Welcome to River High. – Mr. Harrison's voice broke the silence. – My name is Mr. Harrison and I'll be your economics teacher. What are your names? – he asked politely. They looked at each other before speaking.

- My name is Maya Hemming, nice to meet you. – her voice sounded friendly yet firm. She looked around the classroom and offered a smile. I'm not sure if it's a sincere one.

- I'm Luke Hemming. – the boy said. That confirmed it, they are siblings.

- And I'm Caleb Brosme. – the last one said. The depth of his voice surprised me; he is my age, but his voice sounded so much older.

Seeing as they weren't going to share anymore, Mr. Harrison asked them to sit down. They sat near each other, naturally, given that they were the only seats remaining. We share all classes because regardless of the subject they surely were there. It's the third period now, math, and we were in the same classroom. It frustrates me, not because they were rogues, but because they tense the whole pack. Usually, we'd be speaking and not paying any attention to the lecture. But because of their presence, everyone's extremely quiet. Even the teacher seemed surprised by our behavior. Rogues barely speak, only answering when asked. For some reason, my eyes kept coming back to them, especially that guy. What's even more impressive is that he seems to know all the subjects by heart. How is that possible?

- This is weird man; how come he knows everything already? – Mason's voice caught my attention. He was looking at me suspiciously.

- I know, look at them, they don't even speak to each other. – I added, which caught their attention.

The dark-haired guy looked back at me; I'm sure he heard me. His face doesn't show any expression, he's just staring at me. A couple of seconds passed before turning back to the teacher. Lunch break finally came and the whole pack gathered. Well, only senior pack members and a couple of juniors on the team. Thankfully for us, the cafeteria served burgers. They aren't the best but meat is meat.

- Hey babe. – Nadia, my girlfriend, said sitting right next to me and kissing me softly. She has long brown hair and caramel eyes.

- Hey, how are you? – I ask nicely.

- I'm fine. Hey, have you met the new students? I don't understand why everyone is making such a fuss about it. – she quickly asks.

We've been together for a year now. My parents didn't approve at first because she is a human. But after a while, and a long conversation, they began warming up to the idea. She still doesn't know I'm a wolf though.

- Yeah, I think they are over there. – I point towards them. Being a wolf, I can feel exactly where they are. They are sitting together a few feet away. I can even hear their conversation, but it's nothing interesting.

- Wow, they're hot. – Nadia said and I looked at her in disbelief.

- Seems like you have competition, Nate. – Mason comments comically, causing many to chuck.

- I didn't mean it that way, I'm just saying their good looking. – she defends herself, squeezing my hand lovingly.

- Yeah, I mean, look at her. If all the girls look like her, I might consider changing schools. – Jake said playfully. He meant becoming a rogue, but he couldn't say it with the words.

- Oh, come on, like you have a shot with her. – Kaya said. She's a werewolf too, one the strongest to be honest.

She is supposed to become third in command when I become the alpha. I'm the oldest in the family, so naturally, I'll inherit the title. Mason, my best friend will become the beta in command. I feel so much pressure on myself. This is my last school year, which means that soon I'll be pronounced alpha, I'm beginning to freak out.

- I could land her. – he countered. Jake has one of the biggest egos in the pack, but he always makes everyone laugh so we like him.

- Then do it. – Kaya challenged him. Her brown eyes filled with mischief.

- Deal, but when I land her you'll have to go out with her brother. Deal? – he challenged back. They always do this, constantly challenging and bothering each other even when they are clearly in love.

- Wait. They are brothers? – Nadia asked confused.

- Yeah, the two blonds are siblings. They introduce themselves and they share their last name. – I answered her. Her eyes shot right up in surprise.

- So, what do you say Kaya? Are you in or are you gonna chicken out? – Jake said, extending his hand arrogantly. She shot a stare back at him and shook his hand.

- Come on guys, I don't think we should be messing with them like that. – Paul said. He is the youngest in the group, almost two years younger than us.

- Of course, you'd say that. You are always the good little boy, aren't you? – Jake said a little too harshly. He has always been harsh on his little brother. Yeap, Jake, and Paul are brothers. Paul is very good at football and, since he's not too young, he hangs out with us, much to Jake's disapproval. Don't get me wrong, they love each other, it's just sibling love.

- Guys, I agree with Paul. They are new in town; we shouldn't mess with them. – Mason vouched for Paul. Since he's the future second in command, the pack respected his opinion. Jake won't care but I'm sure Kaya does.

- Yeah, I'm with Mas here. – I intervene. Dad told me to keep an eye on them and not cause problems. This screamed problems.

- Oh, come one, hon. It's nothing serious. – Nadia commented.

- Yeah hon, I'm just trying to be friendly. – Jake imitated Nadia. I hate it when he does this. He uses Nadia's oblivious to get it his way. – I'll be right back. – he stood up and headed towards them. We all watched him and listened closely.

- Hi, I'm Jake. – he said. The three looked at him, expecting him to continue. - I just wanted to introduce myself. – striking a smug smile towards the blond girl.

- Well, you already did. You can go now. – Luke responded harshly, clearly, he didn't like him.

- I'm just trying to be friendly, man. – he countered, throwing his hands up.

- I don't ca... - the boy started annoyed but was interrupted by his sister.

- What my brother is trying to say... - she shoots him a stare to shut up. – Is that no one has even bothered to speak to us since we arrived. It's nice of you to introduce yourself. Hi, I'm Maya – she offered her hand, overly flirty, which Jake quickly accepted. – This is Luke and Caleb. – she pointed to her friends.

- It's nice to meet you. – Jake said, looking at the guys and then turning his attention back to the girl.

Jake's truly testing his limits with the rogues. At this distance, we can see the size difference between them. Jake is our strong safety in football, which means he must be well-built, strong, and fast. And still, he looks so defenseless in comparison with the other guys. No wonder rogues can invade so easily weaker packs, these two guys looked like they could take on anything. I wonder if they send them specifically for that purpose. Don't get me wrong, they weren't bulky, but rather muscular, and fit, even the girl is in great shape.

- Would you like to sit down? – she offered. Damn this girl knows how to flirt. Her brother shot her a death stare, but she didn't even budge. The other guy didn't seem to care.

- Yeah, thanks. - Jack nodded, sitting right next to her and taking a sip of his water.

- So, do you want to shag? – no beating around the bush, causing Jake to choke a little with his water. – What? I thought you wanted that. Or do you want to bring your girlfriend over to join us with my brother? – she added, her voice defiant. A smile spread along her friend's face.

- She's not my girlfriend. – Jake lamely excused himself, avoiding the question.

- Pity, but we don't care though. So, are you in? – she insisted while playing with his hand. I've never seen my friend like this, so helpless. It's funny actually; he is being taught a lesson by a rogue.

- Maya... - her brother said in a warning voice. He has had enough of his sister's attitude.

- What? You heard them. They want to land us, let's just do it then. – she is upset but her heartbeat is not rising. She's calm.

- I think you've tortured him enough. – the dark-haired guy said and looked at Jake. – You should probably go. – his voice was so deep that it sounded like an order. To everyone's surprise, no one objected, not even Jake who left without further say. He came back with his tail between his legs, figuratively speaking, because he does have a tell.

- So, how'd it go? – Nadia wondered since she couldn't hear the spectacle, she just witnessed a few seconds ago.

- Yeah, Jake. How'd it go? - Kaya said with a smug on her face.

- I don't want to speak about it. – he answered shortly, still flustered. The red on his cheeks showing.

- I guess she's out of your league then. – Nadia said, playing with Jake. The whole table laughed but Jake just reproached with a childish gesture.

Having a human in the circle can be fun sometimes. The school bell rang, announcing the start of the next period. I escorted Nadia to her next class and then headed toward mine. Walking towards the door I stopped before crashing with another figure. It's that rogue with the blue eyes, he stopped as well, probably thinking I wouldn't. We stare at each other for a while. He is just as tall as Mason, and that's saying something. Mason's the tallest pack member of our age. I noticed he has a collar around his neck, but the pendant's hidden underneath his shirt. Our eyes met again and he slightly motions to the door, his eyebrows slightly moved, gesturing for me to enter first.

- Right, thanks. – was all I said before entering the classroom.

This period is chemistry, a subject I find quite interesting, to be honest. But I can't concentrate, my eyes kept finding their way to the back of his head. He's two seats ahead in the nearby row doing absolutely nothing. Just paying attention and writing something down in his notebook.

- Hey dude, are you okay? – Mason's voice snapped my attention from the rogue. His eyes are full of wonder.

- Yeah, I'm fine. – I simply answered. He didn't seem to buy it, but for now, it was enough.

The rest of the class was the same, with me frequently zoning out while the teacher explained her lecture. What I found even more annoying was that I liked today's subject. It's related to how certain compounds bound together and form essences. I know, I'm boring but I just like chemistry. At last, the teacher announced the homework.

- Okay guys, there's homework due in four weeks. It's in pairs, so you'll be paired by list. Adams and Aitken. Angus and Bell. – he started calling us by our last names. – Mmmmm... Brosme and Bryce. – he called the rogues and my name.

I can feel Mason's head turn towards me. I'll be working with a stranger, just peachy. Naturally, the Hemming brothers were partnered. I guess it's better. If anyone should work with a rogue it should be me. I'm the future alpha and I have more patience than my friends. Well, except for Mason, but I feel less worried this way. At least if someone screws up, it would be me. The bell rang.

- Start thinking about your project. I want a sustained proposal for this Friday. – she announced firmly.

- Hey, I'm Nate. I guess we are partners. – I said, standing right next to him. He looked up at me, he was sitting down.

- Yeah, I guess we are. – he simply said. I'm not sure if he likes the idea.

- So, I was thinking, do you want to meet at the library after school? To work on the project, of course. – I offered kindly. His eyes are mesmerizing, they were light blue in the center and dark ocean blue at the edges with a gray tone all over them.

- Mmmm sure, I just don't know where exactly the library is. – his voice brought me back to reality. He finished packing his materials and stood up. Once again, I'm left looking upward.

- If you want, I can show you around. What's your last period, I'll help you around. – I offered. The last period is PE, meaning sports. Naturally, I'd be headed towards the football field, but I can run in a little late.

- I have athletics, whatever it is. – he simply said. I'm taken by surprise, what's confusing about athletics?

- Great. I have football practice; they are in the same place. Come on, I'll take you. – I smile and gestured for him to follow me. He exchanged looks with his friends before following me.

- What did you mean when you said, "whatever it is"? – I wondered as we started walking through the halls.

- Mmmm. What's athletics? – he simply asked. His voice is nonchalant.

- You don't know what athletics is? – I ask in disbelief. His eyes just furrowed at me.

- I wouldn't be asking if I did, would I? - even though the words were harsh, somehow it didn't sound like it. Still, I felt like apologizing for my rude comment.

- Sorry I didn't mean to be rude. Just, didn't they ask you what you wanted for extracurriculars? – I questioned.

- Yeah, they did, but we didn't know most of the sports so we stuck to basics. – he explained.

- What did you guys choose then? – I asked.

- Well, Maya likes drawing so she chose art. Luke is going swimming and I decided to run. –

- What is there to understand then? –

- Well, when the principal started explaining it didn't sound much like running to me. – he carried on, finally understanding the misunderstanding. He was talking about the fences.

- Ahhh, okay. For the most part, it is just running, but they'll start putting up obstacles and you'll have to jump over them. – I explained as easily as possible. Truth is, principal Akners can be confusing whenever he explains things, so I don't blame him.

- That seems easy. – he just commented, looking back at me. We just left the main building and were heading towards the football field.

- Yeah, I guess it does. – I slightly chuckled. – Campus is very simple, it has three buildings. That was the main building, as you know. – I explained signaling behind us. He nodded. –That building over there is all for extracurriculars. The swimming pool is on the first floor and from there up you'll find dance, art, theater, music, you name it. The building at the far end is the library, it's easy to find because it's the smallest out of the three. And all extracurriculars outside are pretty much around the campus. –

- Okay. I assume that's the football field. – he stated rather than asked. Pointing in front.

- Yep, the running tracks are around the field. So, we'll be seeing each other. – I'm not sure how I felt about that. No matter how friendly I try being, he doesn't seem to care. Are all rogues this bitter? – Oh, showers are also in the second building, on the first floor, or underneath the stadium. – I quickly added.

By now we had already arrived at the football field. It wasn't too far away. The football field has a small stadium, where people could watch the game. Pretty fancy, I know. Underneath the benches are the showers, exclusive to the football team. Because, you know, we usually end up smelling worse than others. It wasn't exclusive to just the football team but since it was further away, it was mostly for the team. We entered the locker room to change clothes, where I met up with some of my friends. I started changing into my pads, talking about whatever with my pack. I looked around and see Caleb in some running shorts, walking towards me.

- Hey... Ummm I'll see you at... - he looked at me, waiting for me to say something.

- Well, practice ends at 4:30, how about 5:00? – I offered.

- Okay. See you then. – he said and dismissed himself walking towards the running tracks.

- You got yourself a date, Nate? – I hear Jake speak, ready to annoy.

- Shut up, it's for the chemistry project. – I say and continue to change, unbothered by his comment.

- Oh right, you got partnered with him. – Mason chimes in. - Sorry man. – he was quick to add.

- It's okay, Mrs. Lin is human so there was no way she'd know. – I'm quick to dismiss the topic. It doesn't bother me. I just hope he's up to work. I don't want to do the project all by myself.

Practice went off smoothly. For not playing all summer, we surely are in sync. Some of the perks of being werewolves. It is not like we can mind-link with each other but sometimes it seems that way. That trait is given to mates. Wolves only have one mate, that one perfect person to fulfill you. But mates are quite rare, very few wolves find their one true mate. My parents are true mates and trust me, it can be annoying that they can mind link. Still, I'd like to find my true mate.

After taking a quick shower a head towards the library. Football lasts 30 minutes longer, so Caleb should already be here. The first floor is filled with books and on the second their seats for people to sit and work. I look around to see if I can spot Caleb, but I can't. I look at my watch, it reads 5:07. I turn around towards the stairs, perhaps searching for a book. I turn around the corner when I stumbled upon someone. Books fell to the floor.

- I'm sorry, I didn't watch myself. – I apologized quickly, helping pick up the books. I look up to see those blue eyes.

- It's fine, we must stop meeting like this though. – he says in almost a playful tone.

- Yeah... - I chuckled. – So, what are these for? – I inquire handing him the books.

- For the project. I didn't know what you wanted to do, so I brought some books to help us figure it out. – he said.

- Great, we should sit down. – we headed to a free spot. – What did you have in mind? – I ask him. He's had more time to think about the project.

- Well, since this week's lecture is all about chemical reactions, I thought we could do something related to a fragrance or something. – he stated.

- How do you know this week's lesson? – I inquire.

- It's in the schedule. – he simply says.

- Really? – there's something I didn't know. And I'm supposed to be a nerd.

- Yeah. – he looks at me confused.

- Well that's something I didn't know. Sure, we could do a fragrance. –

- Okay, I brought some books on different chemical reactions. Let's see what we find out. – he said and grabbed a book. I did the same and we both began readying.

No matter how much a tried to concentrate on the book, my eyes kept coming back to him. We've been like this for over an hour. The rogue intrigues me to such an extent. He's not what I expected, not at all. We were taught that rogues are these merciless wild animals that don't care about others. Rogues are often used to scare little pups so they'd behave. But here I am, with a rogue right in front of me and he didn't match the description.

- If you found something you can tell me, you know? No need for staring. – he said, his eyes not leaving the book.

- Sorry, it's just... - I hesitated. – You're not what I pictured. – as soon as it left my mouth, I knew it came out wrong. This seemed to catch his attention because he looked up at me.

- What were you expecting? – he simply asked.

- I don't know, someone scarier? – he looked at me confused. – No offense but we were told you were well... you know... rogues. – his eyebrow shot right up. Still, he wasn't saying anything. – I mean rouges are to werewolves, what werewolves are to humans. Big, scary, ruthless... –

- My apologies for not matching your description. – he said as he stood up.

- Where are you going? I didn't mean to offend you. – I said standing up.

- You didn't, but I must head home. Here, I highlighted some ideas. Go over them and let me know tomorrow. - he said, handing me a piece of paper filled with possible topics. – I'll see you around. – I didn't even have time to answer when he was already gone.

- Way to go Nate. – I said to myself as I sighed.

I head back home, while I replayed that conversation. What was I thinking? If he didn't hate me already, now he surely does. As soon as I entered the house my father's voice filled the air. Was he expecting me?

- How was school son? – he asked. His voice was commanding yet loving somehow.

- Nah, the same as usual. – I limited my response.

- The rogues? – that was what he wanted to know.

- Mmmmm yeah, they seem okay. – I didn't lie, up to now they'd given me no reason to think otherwise. – Actually, I got paired with one for a school project. I was wondering if maybe I could bring him here to work on the project. – I carried on, playing it off cool.

- Really? Which one? – he said.

- His name is Caleb; do you know him? – I asked.

- Yeah, their alpha brought them one day during a meeting. He's the tall quiet one, right? – I laughed at how the description perfectly matched.

- Yes. –

- If you feel that it's okay, then I'm up for it. Just be careful, we still don't know the full depths of their intentions. – he warned me. He's always been like that, distrustful of everyone, not just rogues.

- Okay... I'll ask him tomorrow. –

- Also, Jeremiah is next door. If anything happens go to him. – he said. Jeremiah is the beta in command and one of the strongest pack members.

- Yes dad, I know. – I responded.

- So, do you want to go for a run? For old times' sake? – he asked me.

I've always loved going for runs. The grass underneath my paws and the wind of my fur always felt so good. Like freedom. I nod my head and we head out, letting our wolves come out.

------------

Picture of Nathan at the top.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

92.8K 3.9K 81
Alistair is a rogue werewolf. Born into this condition, he lives with his family the nomadic life, always traveling and never settling down in one pl...
177K 6.9K 36
Caleb is your everyday dorky 19 year werewolf. He's the youngest omega of the pack but everyone loves him. Caleb lost his parents when he was 9 due t...
128K 3.9K 28
Liam Cole. He's got it all. Good looks, an intact family, and a future. Nothing can go wrong in his life, it just isn't fathomable. - Milo Lazos...
12.4K 652 11
Connor has always known that he has a true mate out there and that he is male. Even when nobody believed him, he defended his mate. Even when his fat...