Arknights: Starsfall I

By MNL_AAF

Season 1 of the Starsfall series. Cover is credited to the effort of: @Legend_of_Frog The United States Space... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Epilogue
Starsfall Season 2

Chapter 53

1.3K 36 41
By MNL_AAF

"Get rollin' along"

December 22th, Earth Time, 2055
October 23th, Terra Time, 1097

2nd Lt. Michael Middleton

"So what do you like?" Michael was going to try and initiate some Conversation with Skadi now that she is technically his Fireteam teammate. At the moment, they were sitting at the edge of what looked like a harbor of this abandoned city. Behind them, was a turbine Generator brought over from New Roanoke. It was currently powering the stations and computers that were controlling a small team of robots that were working on something in the old harbors.

Skadi looked at him, her legs firm against the pier. At now, she said nothing. Michael sighed. It's to be expected of her character. Silent, not talkative, and pretty blunt or straight to the point when she does find her voice. To the Marine, it was unnerving.

Over the past hours, Michael has been trying to get to know the person that the Marine Corps essentially hired in response.

And considering that she and him is now in the Same Fireteam due to like the brief 30 minutes to an hour they worked together, it would be useful to know.

They don't know a lot about her, and they don't know how she will act.

But, he began to think, could have been worse, there's some folks who won't talk for shit and folks who are just stubborn assholes. He came up with a plan. It was something, and it didn't seem like something one would speak about in polite company.

But then again, this isn't polite company. "Alright," he let out, "I think we can have a little chat about the Seaborne, huh?"

That got a reaction out of her, "...the Seaborne?" She faces him, a bit more intent in her features, "What do you want to talk about?"

"How are you so good in fighting them?" Michael began, waving back towards Sal Viento, "You saved the hides of many Marines for that, and we are still grateful." he admitted, leaning in, "But how exactly are you so good at fighting them?" Skadi slanted her eyes, causing him to raise his hands in defense. Shit! Uhh...

"Okay okay, here listen," he began, looking at her straight back, "If you talk, I'll try to tell you how the hell we can resist their Mind Control, deal?"

Skadi looked a little less suspicious, but more interested - Well if it is 'Her' showing genuine interest - "Fine," and she turns, holding out her weapon again. She was wondering how she could break it to him, and not reveal the existence of the Abyssal Hunters till a comfortable point in the future.

She decided to go about one that she thinks, for now, will work.

"Being a bounty hunter, employers want us to take down whatever the normal mercenaries can't handle..." she began, crafting her little monotone lie. Of her employers, of the sea monsters that she is 'hired' to take down.

Of the fact that a good number of time, what she kills lives near the coast or the ocean. Michael listened grabbing his chin and humming. Curiosity in it all, especially learning how she 'learned' to take down a great many monsters that, in her experience, not even the best operators of Rhodes Island or some of the finest warriors of Ursus can't take down.

Well, in truth, it wasn't entirely a lie. The Abyssal Hunters are her 'clients' and the sea creatures are, in reason, are her bounties that she must hunt.

And there are most definitely things out there that not even the Emperor's blade or the greatest powers can take down.

Michael bought it. He leaned back, hummed, and then looked back at her, after staring into the Terran ocean for a few moments. "What people will do for a buck and a paycheck at the end of the day..." he sighs, "Alright, you held up your end of the bargain," he began, "I'll-"

"Talk," she cut him off, going up to him with sudden curiosity and focus. Michael raised his hands, and gulped, "Ok! Okay!" He let out, gulping, "I'll tell you, its..." he began to trail off, when booted footsteps and a rough, feminine cough gathered their attention.

"Hey Michael, Skadi," the person that the 2 actions belonged to called. The 2 turning around, seeing the owner.

They saw Sgt. Smokton walking over. She leaned on the generator which was still softly whirring with its power, careful not to lean on any ventilation system. "We are Oscar Mike in a few, bring Skadi with us."

"Oh? Alright."

Michael turned to Skadi, who leaned back.

He swore, for a brief second, that there was a moment of disappointment in her eyes. It was something that completely unnerved him.

Why the interest in Semper Fi?

He shrugged it off, well it was weird how it saved his mind and many others from getting converted to whatever tentacle... eldritch... monster existed down in Terra. It makes sense if somebody saw it work, they want to know.

Standing now, he began to walk over, "Come on now," he let out his hand and made a gesture to follow.

Something that Skadi followed, something within her that wanted to learn more about Michael.

Or is it her...?

Pvt. James Ramirez

The road to Pennsylvania was somewhat, relaxing.

Earlier, Hunter 2-1+Daniels had to organize themselves into the given vehicles. They chose what they think is most important. Foley took the driver's seat of one of the JLTVs, and he was carrying Ms. Amiya, Dobermann and Nearl, with Project Red. He was cordial welcoming the 3 in, but he was a little unnerved looking down at little Red.

She seemed dangerous, in his opinion. Felt like a spook.

Dunn was in the other JLTV, and he was driving Ceylon, Schwarz, Ace and Blaze. He's not happy with the arrangement, but at least the latter 2 can take her place when the medical talk gets really boring.

Daniels had to get a spare MAT-V over, which was modified to be a SWAT heavily armored vehicle. Which, at some point, would have been utilized by the New York Police Department.

Fitting, considering that he is driving Ms. Swire, Ch'en, and Hoshiguma. As Daniel got them in, the former two was already at each other's throats. However, Ch'en wasn't as aggressive in her little spurts. Just more or less concerned and happy that she's alive.

But who are they kidding, they pretty much fight for sport at this point.

Ptilopsis was riding in the vehicle with them, because it was large, and it was easy to attach some scientific equipment to it. While also attaching the group's camera to broadcast back to New Roanoke and thus the Terran Extranet.

The other 3 Rangers handled the small buses, and a passenger load of roughly 9 each.. Carmen didn't exactly like the proposal, but she was going have to anyways. Ramirez just shrugged, and Lana mirrored the action. The coos and aww'ing over that simple action from Lana made her giggle.

Her parent didn't exactly care because it was just something he's used to doing, driving and being ordered around.

Jonathan didn't frankly care, all he wanted was non problematic people. When the 3 got into their driver seats and familiarized themselves with the dashboard and vehicle controls, they opened their doors, and began to let people in.

Here's the Roster, as far as Ramirez knows and what the other 5 are reporting.

JLTV 1 - Foley: Amiya, Dobermann, Nearl, Project Red

JLTV 2 - Dunn: Ceylon, Schwarz, Ace, Blaze

MAT-V [ NYPD variant ] - Daniels: Ch'en, Swire, Hoshiguma, Ptilopsis

Military Shuttle Bus 1 - Ramirez: Exusiai, Sora, Praminax, Cliffheart, SilverAsh, Mudrock, Silence, Saria, and Ifrit

Military Shuttle Bus 2 - Jonathon: Blue Poison, Suzuran, Croissant, Bison, Skyfire, Nightingale, Shining, Ansel, Hibiscus, Lava

Military Shuttle Bus 3 - Carmen: Lappland, Texas, Jessica, Liskarm, Franka, Fang, Kroos, Beagle, Gavial

Back to present, Ramirez's eyes focused on the road ahead. SilverAsh was somewhere behind him, talking with Silence while Ifrit was playing some games with Sora. Lana had a special little seat for her, next to Ramirez. She watched out the road, sniffing and looking happy.

The Convoy wasn't being monitored by regular Civilian channels. It was something by order of the United States that nobody do that, for the safety and security of their guests.

The - Cautus? Lupo? Ramirez is not sure himself - idol was happily singing some songs and Ifrit did her best to play along. Exusiai was behind him, looking out the window, and looking at a magazine she picked up.

Rural New Jersey wasn't all that much, considering the state itself is pretty small.

...in size, not in spirit, because if Ramirez said that anywhere in the state, somebody would have gotten angry. Whether at him, or the fact that he disrespected their state like that, or the fact that they are just bored and want to embrace the anger, he doesn't want to be the lucky man to find out.

Ifrit came up next to him and tapped him, "Hey," Ramirez side glanced to her, before glancing back at the road. Subtly, he pressed a dial on the bus wheel that turned up the radio just a LITTLE louder. Catching on to Military radios that were broadcasting the situation in Canada.

He grumbled, because if he wanted to switch stations, he has to reach out his right arm and lightly bump Ifrit.

Something that wasn't exactly in his bucket list, hearing about Ifrit's fire arts. "Hey!" She called to him again. This time he was forced to look, because Foley was forced to stop at a Military Checkpoint on the outskirts of Trenton. The City itself still shining gaily, despite the fact that the city across from it was doing less than stellar.

"What is it..." he felt something in his mind click - because he knew if he didn't say it, she would get all fussy and he does not want to explain why a several thousand dollars Shuttle Bus was burned because of a fussy child - and he finished what he was going to say, "... Lord Ifrit?"

The mischievous smirk he got made him reach over and turn on the radio, Appalachian friendly music playing throughout the bus.

He mentally readies himself for the mind fuckery he's about to get handed by a little girl with fire control issues and an head held WAY too high, in his opinion.

Mudrock was playing with the grass and, well, mud she picked up while at the park, mixing it with her Orirocks that she brought along in her suit.

She seemed to have fun with her little puppets, while Ifrit up front was content with messing with Ramirez, poking at random screens and dials.

Foley finished speaking upfront, and now the convoy was on the move again.

Ramirez had the bright idea to make the bus jerk, which sent Ifrit stumbling backwards, "Hey!" she cried out, landing on her ass and trying to scurry back to him to yell, "That hurt you peasant!"

Exusiai and Lana saw the pleased expression on Ramirez's features through the rear view mirror. Saria and Silence didn't look very impressed. However all he could do was just shrug and drive along, the NYPD MAT-V of Daniel pulling forward a little quickly.

Well deserved you little brat.

"Mr. Foley?" Came Amiya's shy voice, from the passenger seat of the aforementioned Sergeant's JLTV. He kept his focus on the road, following the GPS to Baltimore, entering a highway that would lead them next to Philadelphia.

"Yes, Miss Amiya?" The cautus girl held up a file, and tries to set it in front of him.

"Do you think our negotiations with your people will go well."

Foley hummed, side eying the file when he had to stop and make a turn. Driving forward, he could only shrug.

"Time will tell, just kick ass in the negotiations, Hooah?"

Amiya tilted her head and an ear folded, something that in the back of Foley's mind, he couldn't help but hear the word cute ring out, "Hooah?" She repeated.

Dobermann also responded, "Hooah? Is that a sort of..."

"Battle cry? Yes, yes it is."

He waves, "In any case, just get yourselves mentally ready, the American Congress aren't warhawks, but it doesn't mean they'll budge easily."

Amiya straightened up, "I... see..." she muttered, looking at her files. Foley made another turn.

Red came up and pointed in the distance. Towards skyscrapers that were decorated with Originium, "Where's that...?"

Foley's eyes softened, "Aw damn... that's..." he felt it's name die on his tongue. But for the sake of the confused Terrans, he has to say it.

"Philadelphia... the birthplace of the United States."

Saying that now, and seeing the pained looks on Nearl and Dobermann, he presumed that they knew what such tragedy it is to lose the very city that gave birth to a nation.

I can only imagine the terror that would bring to those Laterano folks, imagine if their holy city burned?

The United States Capitol Building

"I don't think its safe for us to be in Washington anymore," came the silent words of the Senator of Rhode Island. He was shaking and holding the Senator of Connecticut, who seemed to have fainted.

That was something which was becoming increasingly alarming, senators and representatives of various northeastern states becoming sick.

Huey of Texas had to keep his distance from both Senators of Pennsylvania, seeing them coughing.

It probably was the flu. It was december still.

But after reading the CDC's 10 Page report, he is starting to question it. According to the specs down there in Atlanta, the way Oripathy works on Earth is different than Terra. It doesn't really appear physically on people. It works as Viruses do on Earth, staying microscopic and in the body. The Human Immune System would target it, as normally as it would, devouring it and disposing of it.

That is currently extremely bad especially right now, because its the middle of a season where Human Immune Systems were at its worst. That was the key. Everybody is already sick and weakened by the seasonal flu and all of its dirty little friends. A third incoming disease really was not helping their case.

The Immune System was, to put it in a strategic sense, fighting 2 fronts at once.

Which is why in his drink, which would have been something like Sweet Tea, was right now some water with about 2 tablets of nutrient supplements.

He's knows he's from Texas, a state which is typically hot, and this is the Potomac, where the Weather was pretty close to Florida due to the fact that its in the South.

But at this point, he doesn't want to take any chances.

Something mirrored by the Senators and Representatives of much of the Southwestern and Mexican States, because they were attending Virtually.

That was something to also note, a good number of the Mexican States and Representative Government was now sending senators and representatives.

It was pretty quick considering the recency of the Union, but the U.S. Government is glad that a bureaucratic headache was put off them.

The Texan sighed and looked at the Senator of Rhode Island, "Yes, yes we know partner," he says, standing up, trying to look proud and unmoved, "But we must stay, until the situation in Canada is sorted out."

He sits down again, Senator of New Mexico standing, "If I may..." the lady speaks, going up and showing a file.

"I suggest building an emergency American capital somewhere in the Great Rockies," the Texan leaned in, joined by the senators and representatives who are still listening. The Californian senators, virtually, chimed in.

"What are the benefits to an emergency capital?"

The Texan looked at his counterpart, "Let's not try and discuss that when the safety of the American Government is at risk,"

He turns and noticed the nods of fellow senators and representatives, before looking at the sick ones.

"...understandable" came the Californian reply, "We will see no problem to it then."

"Good now-" "Hey!" The New Mexican was about to speak, when the door flew open, a panicked representative coming in with files. Looking at the person closest, which was the Montana Senator, he passes it off, and scurried back out of the room, screaming his head off.

The Montanan raised an eyebrow in confusion, before opening the file and looking through the papers. His eyes began to wide and Huey watched him mutter words, words of disbelief which matched his expression.

"Hey!" The Senator called out - panic and total fear within his own voice and words - holding up some of the papers. "China's been interfering AND supplying Socialist British Columbia!"

The silence following that terror driven declaration was more uncomfortable than anything they had ever experienced since the death of the President.

Which was not too long ago.

One Senator finally voiced the thoughts of roughly everybody in that room at the time.

"...you have got to be fucking kidding."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

397 2 15
Savanna Govrive was a normal girl until she found out about the mysterious planet. Apparently there was astronauts going missing from this new planet...
40.8K 1.1K 46
March 17, 2023, the day where humanity's future has been shifted immensely. Some kind of planet or whatever it is has appeared near earth and despite...
39K 1.1K 20
The United Star of Gaia, an advanced space faring human civilization comes across a fantasy like planet in their journey to explore the star. This is...
37.1K 1.5K 77
Continuation of Arknights: Starsfall I With the end of Reunion, the United Nations now stands as the victors in an Anti-Terrorist operations. However...