Poppy | Colin Bridgerton

By anxioustortoise

They just really like being near each other. Colin x OC More

Introduction
One
Two
Three
Four
Six
Seven

Five

1.1K 39 3
By anxioustortoise

It has reached my ears that the betting books at White's propose the most fascinating of pairings this season...

Bartholomew Waverly was a tall handsome man with pitch-black hair and hazel eyes. Hazel eyes that glowed when he made Marina Thompson laugh. Her laughter made him feel special, something he was desperate for.

His father, Baron Thomas Waverley, was cold to everyone, Bart didn't think he even possessed a soul. The only person the Baron paid attention to was his eldest child Gale and that was only because he was to take over the land once Thomas passed.

Then there was Bart's mother who had died after the birth of his twin siblings Sebastian and Julia when he was ten.

The twins were only 11 and Gale was too busy being the heir to a Baron to pay any attention to them leaving Bart to be the one raising them.

Bart loved his baby siblings but he had always wished someone was there to raise him, and pay attention to him. So he could be a normal 21-year-old. So when he met Marina he saw stars, she was beautiful, desirable, and seemed to be choosing him out of all the men.

He believed himself to be happy.

Penelope on the other hand was not.

She sat on the floor next to Poppy and Colin trying to teach the Puppy Arthur some tricks. She sat back and listened as her sister and friend fawned over the dog and each other while watching Bart and Marina talk, rolling her eyes and scoffing at the situation.

Penelope had always liked Bart, she would watch the way he interacted with his siblings, saw the love he gave, and knew what he deserved, and yet she was sitting on the floor listening to her older sister pretend to not be infatuated with an obviously smitten Bridgerton.

Hearing Penelope's scoff Poppy pried her eyes away from Arthur.

"Are you alright Pen?"

"Hmm?" Penelope's eyes widened, "Oh, yes. Actually, I believe I forgot something in my room. I'll be back in just a few moments."

Penelope got up and quickly walked out of the room.

"Oh, um. Bye!"

Poppy called after her retreating sister.

Colin cleared his throat to gain the woman's attention.

"You seem to be taken with this dog."

"His name is Arthur and I will die for him."

"That seems a bit dramatic."

"It was not dramatic enough."

"Then I shall die for him as well."

Poppy laughed,

"Now that is dramatic."

"Well, I would die for you. So it only makes sense that I would die for Arthur."

Poppy looked down with a blush and Colin brought his hand to hover over hers and paused for a moment staring at their hands before placing his own hand down. He looked up and their eyes clashed.

"I take back what I said before that was dramatic. You are a dramatic man, Colin Bridgerton."

"Well, I grew up next to you, it's a product of osmosis."

Letting out a loud gasp Poppy brought her free hand to her chest.

"Me!"

The two of them broke out in uncontrollable laughter gaining the attention of Bart and Marina who stared at their friends in confusion.

"Something to share?" Bart asked.

Subtly Colin moved his hand away from Poppy's after squeezing it. He sent a cheeky smile to his friend.

"Nothing you could comprehend Waverley."

"Are we beginning a battle of the wits, Colin?" Bart scoffed.

Rolling her eyes Poppy cut in,

"If that were happening then the two of you are sure to lose to me and Marina."

"Confident are you confident, Pepper?" Bart smirked at her.

"Well, I've read your writing before Barty."

Colin snorted while Marina tried to hide her laugh behind her hand and Bart gaped at the woman before turning to her mother who stood off to the corner talking to Mrs. Varley, thinking she would defend him. But neither women were paying attention to them.

Not being able to think of anything Bart just rolled his eyes and tried to bring Marina's attention back to him.

Poppy turned and whispered to Colin,

"What an excellent comeback of his."

Once again Colin snorted and let out a startled laugh. He brought his hand to her back in a way to steady himself but only succeeded in flustering the both of them.

Quickly, to save face Colin brought his arm away from the woman and stood up.

"I uhm, I must be off."

Poppy's brows scrunched in confusion and stood up next to the man. She placed her hand on Colin's arm and watched as his face reddened.

"So soon?"

Swallowing Colin placed his hand on top of hers, attempting to regain himself.

"I think that my brother may need my help in warding off Daphne's suitors."

"I do believe he is quite adept at that."

"Yes, I suppose you would know remembering last season."

"I found that to be quite helpful. However, I do not think Daphne feels the same."

Colin shook his head in amusement,

"She does wish to be married. You on the other hand..."

He trailed off with a sombre smile,

"It's not that I don't wish to marry, it is that I would like a husband who brings me joy and adventure but most men are bores."

"Oh, and do you consider me boring." Colin gasped pretending to be offended.

Poppy began laughing, her face lighting up and Colin's mock offence melted into an affectionate smile.

"I only believe you to be boring when you open your mouth."

He made a face at her,

"So I am not a bore when you are simply looking at me?"

Poppy's face grew red as she opened and closed her mouth. Colin simply looked cocky, she hated him.

"That is not what I meant."

"Yes, sure I believe you." He patted her hand. "Now, I must be off."

He gave her hand a squeeze and turned to leave but held still when Poppy didn't let go. He looked back and into her eyes questioningly.

"I... Are you..." Her eyes wandered the room before connecting with Colin's brown eyes again. It took her a few seconds before continuing again. "Are you going to the opera tonight?"

His brows furrowed,

"I don't believe so. Are you?"

She released a nervous laugh,

"No, I. I don't know why I asked. I just. I guess I wasn't quite ready for you to leave."

Colin's heart skipped a beat and he gripped her hand tighter.

"To be honest Poppy, dear. I do not wish to ever leave you. I am only to leave now before my brother shows at your door and drags me now. It saves us both the embarrassment of Anthony."

She released a quiet laugh ducking her head.

"He is a true twat."

Snickering Colin squeezed her hand once again before releasing it,

"You are a very delightful person. I will see you soon Poppy."

"Yes, you will be Colin."

Slowly he exited the room nodding goodbye to Bart and looking back at Poppy one last time before ducking out of sight.

The matches are charming indeed but in the case of a certain Bridgerton and Featherington not surprising to anyone except maybe a rather ghastly mama...

Lady Bridgerton sat next to Lady Danbury, their heads leaning towards each other gossiping.

"They are saying her husband will not live to the end of the month." Lady Danbury whispered conspiratorially about the Queen.

Lady Bridgerton shook her head in disbelief,

"Surely another rumour provided by that vicious scandal-mongering writer. Should her degradation know no bounds"

"Lady Whistledown writes of my family too. Yet I suppose the duke can withstand such scrutiny since he is, after all, a man."

Lady Bridgerton nodded along.

"His Grace was fortunate to have you there with him as a child. After what happened to his mother. Awful."

"He is not what Whistledown says." Lady Danbury replied softly, thinking of the gentle boy she knew.

"Nor is Daphne."

"It would seem the two of them have that in common then. Matches have certainly been made with far less."

"What are you suggesting?"

Lady Danbury's lips quirked up in mischievous humour.

"Lady Whistledown merely writes what she sees. Perhaps we need to help her see things a bit more clearly." She paused watching Lady Bridgerton's reaction. "Unless of course, you'd object to such a match for other, more contentious reasons."

Lady Danbury lifted a brow assessing the Bridgerton matriarch upon seeing the woman's smile Lady Danbury sat back pridefully and added,

"It seems as though you have a chance for another one of your brood to begin courting."

Violet Bridgerton looked at the older woman gleefully.

"Such matches have always had my full support, Lady Danbury. And I would say that even if our King and Queen were not leading by such a wondrous example"

Danbury's face cracked into a smile.

"I knew there was a reason why I liked you so much, Lady Bridgerton." She moved to look back at the musical act. "The duke is quite fond of gooseberry pie."

Violet turned forwards as well.

"The very dish my cook is renowned for."

"I have also heard of a certain flower who aches to escape the torment of her family, even for just an evening."

Violet sat back in her seat.

"I believe I have identified that young miss as well."

I am within the belief that one troublesome young woman has the ability to create waves, now imagine what two seasoned women are able to achieve...

Poppy knocked at the Bridgerton manor door, much to her curiosity she had been invited to a dinner. While the young woman had been close with the family throughout her life, it had only been on a rare occasion that she joined them for dinner and an even rarer occasion that she had been invited to do so ahead of time.

The door was opened by a staff member who directed her to the sitting room that was occupied by the Bridgerton family.

As she walked through the door all eyes turned to Poppy. Anthony, who was standing by the door, was the first to greet her with a pat on the back.

"I see that you were invited to this evening as well."

Anthony looked over at his mother and rolled his eyes, already understanding the meaning of the night. He then snuck a glance at a startled Colin who had quickly stood from his seat, before bringing his eyes back to Poppy.

She stuck her tongue out at the man.

"How welcoming, Viscount."

"I only wish to make you comfortable."

"And who else was invited that has made you so soothing."

"The duke." Anthony responded after sending her a sarcastic look.

"Ah, it is so endearing how gracious you are to your closest friends."

Anthony opened his mouth to shoot her with a quick response but he was interrupted by his youngest sibling bumping into him as she ran to hug Poppy.

"Poppy!"

Grinning, the woman hugged Hyacinth back, bending down so they were at the same height.

"Hyacinth, my favourite Bridgerton." Anthony swatted the woman's back and he received only a snicker. "How have you been since I last saw you?"

The young girl beamed up at Poppy before sending her older brother a triumphant look, he just rolled his eyes.

"I've been alright but I believe Gregory has become shorter and more annoying."

"HEY!" Gregory yelled from across the room, "I have not become shorter."

"Yet, you do not deny being annoying."

Hyacinth moved over to Gregory to continue annoying the boy and Poppy stood up hiding her laughter behind her hand.

Benedict and Colin approached the woman at the same time. It was Benedict who slung an arm around Poppy's shoulder and pulled her into a brief hug. Colin watched with a clenched jaw which was noticed by both older brother's who exchanged amused looks.

Colin quickly greeted Poppy,

"How are you, Poppy?"

"Yes, Poppy, how are you? Colin has been dying to know since he last saw you. A day ago."

Colin's face flushed and he quickly hit Benedict on the arm, hard.

"Ow!" Benedict yelped.

Anthony started laughing and Poppy snorted, causing the older man to laugh even harder. He clutched Poppy's arm who began to shake attempting to reign in her laughter.

Benedict made a face at the two.

"I'm glad the both of you are concerned with not only my welfare but Colin's round of hostility."

Poppy rolled her eyes.

"Oh, you are acting as though you did not deserve it."

"I see, take the side of the man who as a boy would often pull your hair."

Colin quickly turned to his brother.

"That was years ago. I do not do that anymore."

"Am I to believe that?"

"Yes!"

Anthony turned to whisper in Benedict's ear.

"He wishes he was."

Benedict let out a loud laugh and both Colin and Poppy stared on confused.

"What? What did he say?" Poppy asked Benedict before turning to Anthony, "What did you say?"

The two older men just laughed at the pair. A footman walked into the room and announced the arrival of Simon Hastings, interrupting any further arguments amongst the group.

Simon walked into the room and immediately looked at Daphne who had been sitting beside Francesca watching Poppy get hassled by the three men, intrigued.

Poppy looked over at the man and smiled.

"Hello, I'm Poppy Featherington. We briefly met at the Danbury ball." She brought Simon's attention towards her and the Bridgertons surrounding her. "I'm glad to have met you again, without my mama."

Simon nodded, remembering the flashes of colours, it took him a little bit before placing her face and recalling their meeting.

"Ah yes, your mama was rather insistent."

She smiled and his forced politeness.

"That is one way to put it. It is a true pleasure."

Simon regarded the young woman, appraising her. Poppy had stuck her hand out for him to shake and he grinned, taking her hand and nodded.

"A pleasure."

Anthony was looking at Simon through narrowed eyes and as he opened his mouth Violet clapped her hands and announced that they should head to the dining hall for dinner.

Colin turned to Poppy and held his arm out, she smiled, taking it.

Author Note:

I'M BACK! (I'm going to say that every time).

Anyways, I can't think of much to say, so thanks for reading, this isn't edited like at all, I'll get that eventually, and if anything needs to be changed let me know.

Also, if there's something you want to see happen let me know and I might add it, always open for suggestions.

THANK YOUUUUUU!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46K 1.4K 23
The Vampire Diaries AU pretty much Finn Mikaelson x OC
40.4K 984 46
Why does love always seem to breed where it is forbidden? That is a question Benedict must ask himself, as he finds himself developing feelings for...
3.7K 141 5
What are the odds of a viscount successfully wooing a princess who, for the love of heavens, could not stand him? I say, highly unpredictable.
22.8K 270 7
Simon Basset, The Duke of Hastings, based One Shots