Too Late To Say Goodbye | Tom...

By helpingthemind

~1923~ In which Tommy's life seems to be falling into place. Business is expanding, the family is thriving... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
79.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.
85.
86.
87.
88.
89.
90.
91.
92.
93.
94.
95.
96.
97.
98.
99.
100.
102.
103.
104.
105.
Author's Note

101.

3.9K 149 21
By helpingthemind

The yelling and commotion of the office was like music to Tommy's ears.

It was his third day back, and he finally has the control over his mind that he needed.

He would come to the office early, spend the here and then go home to Bella and Charlie.

Although she didn't want to disappoint anyone, Bella did make it known that once Tommy returns home at night, she was to rest and spend time with him.

"You sure it's alright to be back so soon, brother?" Arthur asked with concern as he sat at the small table in Tommy's office.

Tommy didn't even look up from his pen and paper. "Yes, Arthur."

This didn't convince him, sighing he ran a hand over his folded knees.
"And Bella's okay with it? Everything with the baby okay?"

Now Tommy stopped writing and looked up at him, adjusting his glasses.
"In fact, it was Bella's idea. The women are home with her if she needs anything and I'll be sure to be there more once the baby is here...but for there is work to be done."

Arthur nodded slowly, comprehending what he was saying. He knows there's no changing his brothers mind once he has it set on something. He just needed to make sure he thought it through.

"I need you to deliver this." Tommy said changing the subject as he closed the letter into an envelope, handing it over.

Arthur took it and looked at who it was addressed to.

Ms. Jesse Eden

"What's this?" He knows Jesse is the Union Convener that took the factory workers on strike. So he doesn't understand why Tommy would be reaching out to her.

Tommy folded his hands in front of him on the desk.
"Times are changing and it's important for us to change with it...Bella is an acquaintance of hers and believes in what she's fighting for. So it's time to expand into new territory."

Arthur tsked, looking back down at the letter. "The Shelby's are going into politics, never thought I'd see the day."

*****

Bella's had a weird feeling since she woke up this morning.

But still she continued on with her regular routine. Getting ready with Tommy and seeing him out the door for the day. Then going to wake Charlie and have breakfast with him.

She sat across from Charlie, her mum to her left as they ate breakfast. Except Bella wasn't hungry, in fact the smell of the eggs was making her queasy. Pushing them around with her fork, waiting for the other to finish so they could leave the table.

After what felt like forever, Charlie finally took his last bite then looked up at Bella with a smile.
"Can we go out to the fields today?"

Bella returned the smile, rubbing the soreness in her belly, "of course we can."

Eleanor noticed her actions "you alright dear?"

"I am, they're just moving around a lot today." Bella waved her off.

Smirking at her daughter, but only nodded at her, then turned to young boy.
"Charlie, why don't you go get Baby and we'll head out there soon."

"Okay, Nana." He answered sliding off the chair to go find the dog.

Frances came over to start collecting the plates from breakfast, noticing Bella didn't eat.
"Was the breakfast alright? You didn't touch your food."

Bella gave a small apologetic smile. "Breakfast was wonderful, just not hungry this morning. Thank you as always Frances."

"Of course, Bella. Please give me a shout you want something in a little bit."

"C'mon Mummy!" Charlie called from the front door.

"Patience dear. Your mummy needs to take her time." Eleanor called to him, holding a hand out for Bella to help her stand.

Bella graciously took it, getting her balance as they collected their coated and headed out the door.
She was wearing a long dress, and one of Tommy's leather coats. But even with crisp fall weather she felt warm.

"I spoke with Polly this morning. Her and Ada with be stopping by soon for a cuppa tea." Eleanor spoke as they watched Charlie pick a few flowers in front of the house. They were starting to wilt, but still had color to them.

Bella made this a tradition for Charlie. At least once a week he'll pick some flowers and they'll walk the fields down to the Church, where Grace's grave was.

She thought it was important for him to visit her and remember her for who she was. After all she was still his mother.

Bella never got too close to the stone. Always standing a few feet back, out of ear shot, wanting to be respectful. Giving Charlie some private time with her.

Looking over at her mum she nodded in understanding. "Sounds lovely, mum."

The two walked in silence down the path. As usual Baby and Charlie ran ahead jumping around with each other. Until they reached where they were going, Charlie kneeled down in front of the stone, wrapping one arm around Baby's neck.

Eleanor watched silently. She couldn't hear what Charlie was saying, but by the way he waved his hands about she knew he was excited to tell her something.
She felt proud that her daughter made an effort to make sure Charlie still felt connected to his mum.
Looking over at Bella her smile fell, Bella was slightly hunched over with her eyes closed.
Placing a hand on her shoulder.
"Bella...is it time?"

Bella tried to stand up straight, and was able to after a few more moments. She's been getting these pains all morning, but has been ignoring them not wanting to deal with the reality of what came soon after.

"N-no not yet." She had a hard time answering.

Eleanor didn't believe her one bit, she's been through this twice and knows the signs. It's time to prepare.
"Bell-"

But she was cut off by Bella letting out a groan, and hunching over again.

"Mummy, are you alright?" Charlie asked worried as he turned around at her distress.

"Yes, dear, your Mummy's alright. But it looks like it's time for your new sibling to come." Eleanor answered trying to stay calm for the young boy, ignoring the way Bella squeezed her hand.

Letting out another groan, only this time Bella felt something wet on her legs.
Looking down then up at her mum, she knew by the look on her face what had happened.

Her water broke.

Ada and Polly were just stepping out of the car when they heard barking and Charlie's yelling coming from the path in the field.

"Aunt Polly! Aunt Ada! Mummy's having the baby!" Charlie yelled excitedly as Baby jumped and barked with excitement too, even though he had no idea what was happening.

The two women went wide eyed, then not even a minute later Eleanor and Belle came around the corner as well.
Bella was sweating and bent over in pain as Eleanor tried her best to guide her to the house.

"Bloody hell" Polly swore under her breath, then rushed over to help.
"Ada go call the mid wife, we'll get her inside."

Ada nodded, her eyebrows scrunched in worry.

"Tom-Tommy" Bella huffed out between breathes.

Polly nodded, padding down her hair as they walked up the steps to the front door. "Let's get you settled doll, then I'll call Tommy."

Bella was about to argue back but another contraction hit causing her let out a small yell and forget what they were speaking about.

*****

Tommy was still sat at his desk. No one has come to bother him since Arthur left this morning to deliver the letter to Jesse Eden.

He took this opportunity to learn more about the Labour Party, knowing the ultimate goal will be to run as a political leader.
And with the power and reputation he has around Birmingham, he could have a decent chance of being elected.

He was in the middle of reading an article when Lizzie burst through the door.
It surprised him, but he kept his face neutral. Usually she would knocked and wait for him to call to her before entering. But by her disheveled expression, he knew it was something important.

"What is i-"

"It's time, Tommy! Bella went into labor, Polly just phoned!" She cut him off, grabbing his jacket for him.

Tommy felt his heart pounding in his chest as he dropped the article, coming around to take it from her.
"Thank you, Lizzie."

She nodded and padded his shoulder with a reassuring smile,
"Good luck, I'm very excited to meet them."

Tommy nodded and quickly made his way to his car.
He couldn't help the excitement he felt, these next few hours will be hard but the women have all helped prepare Bella for this, and he'll be close by in case she needs anything.

He reached the arrow house soon after, wanting to get home as soon as possible.

When he entered, he found Frances in the living room with Charlie. Who instantly jumped up when he saw his Father.

"Daddy! Daddy! Mummy's having the baby!"

Tommy took off his jacket handing it to Frances with a nod, then put his hand on top of Charlie's head.
"I know, it may be a while so I want you to stay here with Frances, okay?"
He nodded in understanding.

It was like a stab in the heart when he heard Bella's scream from upstairs. He turned to face the stairs, he hated knowing she was in pain and could do nothing to ease it.

"Is Mummy okay?" Charlie asked with worry

Tommy turned back to him, "she's okay, Charlie. Why don't you take Baby outside?"

Charlie seemed to hesitate before calling Baby, who would've followed the boy even if he didn't.

"Thank you, Frances." Tommy thanked her as she followed the two out the door as well.

Then after hearing another yelp from Bella upstairs, he made his way up there.

He knows that he's not allowed to go in the room. That child birth is no place for a man, the women are in there with her to help.

So he took to pacing the hall in front of the bedroom door. Wincing at every whimper she let out. During the time he took off his suite jacket, leaving him in his white button up with the sleeves rolled to his elbows.

Inside the room, Bella let out another cry at the pain.
It was finally time to start pushing and all she could concentrate on was the pain.

"You're okay, doll. But you need to push." She heard Polly's voice.

Feeling the tears fall down her cheeks, she shook her head.
"I c-cant."

Eleanor came over and placed a cool rag on her sweaty forehead. "You can-"

"Where's Tommy?! I want him here!" Bella panicked.

"It's not proper for men to be in the room during the birth." The midwife interjected, as she sat down by Bella's legs.

Bella knows this and doesn't care, she was scared, in pain and panicking and the thought of Tommy being here made it seems like everything would be okay. He was her comfort and she needed him.

"I don't bloody care what's proper! Please go get him..." she begged

Polly looked over at Ada and nodded, silently giving permission to get him.

His pacing instantly stopped as the door started to open.
Only to reveal a distressed Ada, who looked surprised to see him standing there.

"Tomm-" she started only to be cut by her brother

"How is she?" He knows that he shouldn't be worried, but he was. Things go wrong during childbirth all the time and seeing Ada walk out of the room looking for him made him think the worst.

"The midwife tried to tell her no, but Bella insisted that she needs you."

Her explanation didn't help his thoughts, but instead of asking for more details, he nodded following her into the room.
He just wanted to see her.

Eyes shooting around the room until they landed on her. Her face was red, tears stained her cheeks and her hair stuck to her forehead.
She let out a small cry when they made eye contact.
"Bella..." he breathed out, rushing to her side, barely acknowledging the rest of the people in the room and kneeling down by her side.

"Oh, Tommy, I d-don't think I can do it..." she cried to him.

He placed his hands on her cheeks, raising his eyebrows at her.
"Hey...hey look at me-" She held onto his wrists as she did so.
"You can do this. I know you can. You're the strongest person I know, and if you can't do it no one can...they'll be here soon, our baby will be here soon. I love you, peach, I promise you can do this." He reassured her the best he could.

Bella moved to hold onto his hand and gave a nod, still scared but feeling better now that he was here with her.

"You really need to start pushing now, Bella." Polly spoke sternly to her.

Tommy stayed by Bella side the entire time. Letting her squeeze his hand as tightly as she needed, and speaking encouraging words to her.

The women helped the midwife and did whatever was needed of them.

No one would say that it was an easy birth. It was a long, painful process, but as sound as Bella heard that little cry, she knew it was all worth it.

Tommy let out a breath he didn't he was holding when he heard it too. He looked at Bella with a smile and she gave him an exhausted smile in return. He kissed her forehead in relief.

"You're all done Bella. She's here." Eleanor smiled at her daughter.

"She?" Bella asked with her eyes wide with anticipation.

Eleanor smiled, taking the small bundle of a baby from the midwife after she cleaned her up bringing her over and gently laying her on Bella's chest.

"A baby Shelby girl." Polly smiled and stood next to Ada on the other side of the bed.

Bella couldn't take her eyes off of her. Her little swollen face, and her tiny little fingers.
She couldn't believe that she was really here. It's been a terribly long journey to this moment, but she couldn't be more grateful for their little girl to be here and healthy.

She felt Tommy's lips on her forehead again, causing her to look over at him with a smile. His face was right next to hers, as he couldn't take his eyes off of her either.

"You were right. A baby girl." She whispered to him.

He gave a small nod with a smile. "Do you have name for her yet, peach?"

Bella bit her lip looking back down at her beautiful little baby.
"I do...

Flora...her name is Flora Rose Shelby."

***Authors Note***
She's finally here!!!
Lmk what you thought!

Thank you for you reading and I'll get the next chapter out as soon as possible!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

479K 10.1K 32
the youngest petrovna gets tangled in an affair with a peaky blinder. john shelby complete
877K 25.1K 41
Lily Adler was a girl with looking for answers. Stumbling into Small Heath to find the one woman that could help her she meets a Thomas Shelby. Will...
26.2K 844 6
do i look like the kind of woman who dies? π—Ώπ—²π˜€π˜‚π—Ώπ—Ώπ—²π—°π˜π—Άπ—Όπ—» peaky blinders: s1 tommy shelby x fem!oc time frame...
2.7M 37.4K 115
*UNDER EDITING* Imagines for your favourite Shelby family (and Alfie!)