Leap of faith

Af Sialucky

Ellena Marino ran away from her stepfather four months after her mother's death. Now, she was in the city tha... Mere

Intro
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7

Chapter 2

2.1K 70 3
Af Sialucky

"Hi Dad."

Domenico King stared at me and I stared back. It felt surreal. I had planned for this moment since I was informed that creepy Cole had agreed to take me and it was finally here.

"You do look like Lia." Domenico King said and his voice held wonder.

"I look like you too." I awkwardly replied.

"Yeah you do." It was shaky filled with millions of emotions that I couldn't grasp. My father looked happy to see me or that what it looked to me. Well, he looked like he wanted to hug me but was holding back which I appreciated.

Sure in my dream reunion with my dad, we would hug and cry and dance around rainbow and all. Right now, though, I was on a mission.

"I want to stay with you." Fuck! That was supposed to come out as a question.  Never I was this irritated about having a faulty brain-to-mouth filter like I was today.

My father blinked but didn't say a word.
Not a good sign.

"Mom is dead and I live with cre...Cole and he is in hospital and I don't want to be in some foster home and my social worker is stupid bit...woman and I am sixteen so for two years can I stay with you?" I babbled in one breath and then mentally cursed myself. Doubt Domenico King understood me. Taking a breath I decided to present my case again and properly when he interrupted me.

"You can stay here."

I felt sudden tears in my eyes and had to blink in order to hold them back lest I started to sob and weird him out. Domenico King told me I could live with him, right? My ears were working, right?

"Can you repeat that?" I asked fearful, anxious not wanting to extinguish the burning hope inside me lest I heard wrong or imagined it.

"You can stay here. I will handle your social worker." Domenico King uttered the sentences I so desperately had wished for him to say. "We will do a DNA test if you don't mind? Not that I don't believe you but..."

"I don't mind." I answered. I was hundred percent sure I was his daughter.

"Then, it's settled. You will stay with me." Domenico King said and the power and authority in his voice made it sound so certain.

"Thank you." I said grateful feeling a tear slide down my cheek despite my control. The man didn't know how much favor he had granted me. He was giving me freedom from Cole. If not that I would have looked more crazy, I would have jumped up and down in joy right now. Though I did mentally skipped in happiness and relief. This was what I wanted and I got it.

"Can I hug you?" Domenico King asked. It was blurted as if he couldn't stop himself one more second.

I didn't verbally answered him but instead stepped forward wrapping my arms around his waist. He was so tall that I only came upto his chest. My father returned the hug immediately. His arms were huge and they completely covered me. He was warm.

In all the planning and running away, I had forgotten how much meeting my father had once meant for me. How much I had longed for this hug since I was a kid and had watched others with their father.

The hollow part of my heart that had always yearned for my father was looking forward to be complete.

Also, I was giddy with relief. He was letting me stay.

*****

Domenico King didn't waste time. After our reunion (and my victory) hug which lasted for a minute, Dad and I sat on the soft and comfortable couch and I gave him details, including a vague and false description of the incident with Cole. It was the same one I had given to the police and social worker and wasn't questioned much. A long story that I wished to forget.

It was weird sitting and talking to the man who I knew was my father. The atmosphere around was uncomfortable and awkward. The hug hadn't help at all. Even Uncle Marc didn't look much at ease though he did stare at me a lot. Not in a creepy Cole way but more like 'I-can't-believe-my-sister-has-an-offspring' way

Then a man (doctor?) came and took a sample of my saliva (which eww) for the DNA test. Funnily, The Domenico King looked anxiously worried when the man/doctor took the sample.

After that, I was introduced to an elder woman who was the head of house-helpers, Miss Sofia. She was a mild mannered, sweet lady who guided me to my room. Domenico King told me that I would have dinner with him and my brothers when my father would introduce me to latter. I wasn't looking forward to that. It would be awkward. I just knew it.

As Miss Sofia guided me to my room, I  was sure I wasn't going to remember the directions on my own. This place was too big, the corridors were ziczac and we crossed similiar looking doors too many times. The only thing I was sure was that my room was on the first floor. Miss. Sofia said the mansion had three floors which made me feel exhausted thinking about exploring.

Miss Sofia opened the door to my room and my jaw literally dropped and I stood there gaping like an idiot. Though I couldn't be at fault. 'My room' was something that I had only read about in stories or watched in movies about rich people. Very rich people.

It was large. There was a big canopy bed with purple curtains in the middle. Miss Sofia went inside to draw the white curtains opposite the door. Ceiling-to-floor window with transparent glass covering the wall were revealed. I walked in dazed and looked outside. It gave the view of a beautiful garden. The white rug that almost covered half the room was soft under my feet. There were two purple beambags and a large desk near the bed. A ring shaped bamboo swing hung from the ceiling near the window with purple cushions.

Miss Sofia pulled another door in the room open and I followed her to come to face to face with an empty but almost-as-big-as-my-room-back-home sized closet. It led to an equally large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and curtained shower. The mirror in the bathroom again like everything in this place, was huge and covered one whole wall. The bathroom unlike the empty closet was fully stocked.

I was still in daze after Miss. Sofia left. She might have asked my clothes' size and my preferrence in clothing. I did answer her but all of this was too extravagant. I felt like I was in some alternate universe. This was too much richness for me. No wonder my father's tittle was King.

I should have gotten up and changed into much comfortable wear but the moment I sat on the bed (which if you are wondering was extra soft like clouds not that I have slept on clouds) I was sinking. Normally, I would never be this relaxed in a new place. But my mind had been active for days and finally the fatigue washed over me and in no time I was falling asleep.

*****

I woke up to knocking on my door. It took a moment for me to realise that I was in my father's place and not still with creepy Cole and I relaxed a little. I sat up, made a face at how much messy I felt. I had even drooled, eww. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand, yawned and opened the door. It was Miss. Sofia who was professional enough to just raise an eyebrow at my disheveled appearance and didn't say anything else on it.

"Mr. King is requesting your presence in the dinning room, Young Miss." She said politely.

"Give me ten minutes." I said and she agreed. I closed the door and hurriedly went to washroom to tidy up.

As per my words, I took exactly ten minutes to get ready. Though, it took me ten extra minutes to reach the dinning room and it was all thanks to a nice staff who I fortunately met on the way. I was lost on my own.

The dinning room was, you guessed it, quite large and so was the dinning table. The head seat was occupied by my father who smiled when I entered. Beside him on his right sat my eldest brother, Daniele King. He was sitting down but I knew he was as tall as my father. He had exact same eyes as mine and they were coldly regarding me. He was handsome with black curls and peppered stubble on his defined cheekbones. He was twenty-seven year old. Beside him was my second-eldest brother, Valentino King. He also had the same eyes as father, Daniele and me. He was also very handsome and I wondered if all the goodlook's of my  father went to my brothers. I mean I was just average looking. It was unfair. Valentino had a gentle smile on his face and he looked more approchable rather than intimidating as Daniele. He was twenty-five years old.

Then there were the twins, only two years older than me. Unfairly, they both too were gorgeous but had brown eyes. The older one was Matteo. I recognise him because of the scar on his eyebrow. His black hairs were tied in a ponytail while his twin's were same size but untied. He was leaner than his younger twin, Antonio King. Antonio didn't even look at me unlike Matteo who was staring at me nonchalantly.

Ronaldo, whom I had met before, wasn't here and neither was Dante- my third oldest brother. Though, according to social media Dante had been gone from public for almost a year and half. He must have been traveling or something.

Domenico gestured for me to sit and I took the empty chair beside him on the left. On my other side was Matteo, who was oozing indifference. If I was awkward talking to Domenico and Uncle Marc then I didn't have words for what I was feeling now.

"You are late." Daniele commented.

"I am so sorry." I apologised "I got lost. The house is too big."

"It's okay." Valentino, the second eldest said smiling. He had a pretty calm smile. I smiled back.

"My name is Valentino King and I am your second oldest brother." Valentino introduced himself which he didn't really need to. I have done my research.

"Ellena Marino." I said. It was subtle and if I hadn't been seating opposite him, I wouldn't have seen Daniele flinch at my name. But I did and I was curious. Though, the guy looked too intimidating for me to question him. Ever.

None of the other said anything and I heard Domenico sigh before saying in a commanding tone (that even made me sit straighter), "Boys."

"Daniele King. Eldest."

"Matteo King. Older twin."

There was a second of silence as we all looked at Antonio, who just stared down clutching a spoon in his hand. I believe the spoon's material was too strong because the way Antonio was griping it, the spoon would have broken long ago.

"Antonio" This time it was Daniele.

The tension in the air was suffocating and for a second I thought of saying that if the guy didn't want to introduce himself than leave him be. Fortunately, though I kept my mouth shut.

"Antonio King." There was anger in his voice and I shifted uncomfortably. I didn't remember doing something to offend him, did I?

Mercifully, the kitchen staff came in and delivered our food. The atmosphere was still tense but my whole focus was on the lasagna I was served. Priorities.

I took my cutlery in hand fully planning to attack my food when Domenico asked, "Where is Rolando?"

"He is with his friends." Daniele replied. Domenico sighed and it sounded troubled.

There was again some unspoken tension in the air but I choose to ignore it. I was hungry.

The lasagna was super good. I ate with gusto and to my immense relief, both the twins left the table before me. Though Daniele was still there with his scary aura.

I had to take a breath of relief when I went back to my room later.

Just two year, Ellena. I thought to myself. If you can handle creepy Cole then they are nothing in comparison.

*****

I woke up sometime in the night, thirsty. I blamed it on the untimely nap in the afternoon that I took.

I opened my bedroom door and switched on my cellphone flashlight to navigate the dark corridor. It was when I was standing lost in the middle of hallway some five minutes later than I realised that I had a massive bathroom that has a tap of water. Deciding that with lights on, if I couldn't reach the kitchen then it was impossible to accomplish so now. To think about it, I had no idea where the kitchen was. Sometimes I couldn't help but be awe in myself.

Taking a U-turn, I made my way back towards my room.

I was walking when suddenly an ear-piercing scream erupted in the empty, silent hallway. I jumped dropping my phone. Another scream was heard. It was a male voice. Scared I dropped down grabbing my phone and was going to run blindly to my room when I realised that the screams were coming from the closed door on the left, a few steps forward.

I didn't know if it was instinct or bravery or because I was very stupid (definitely the third) but I reached the closed door. The screams had gone silent now but there were still some agonized noises coming from other side of door. Was somebody being tortured? I shook my head. That would be absurd.

Though I was curious.

I turned the door handel and it opened. The room was unlocked. Just as I opened the door, another pain filled cry echoed and I jumped. It was chilling.

The room was as massive as mine but I couldn't inspect as my gaze dropped on the bed and the lone figure on it. I stepped in and had to stiffle my gasp. In the light of the bedside lamp, I could see the man thrashing on the bed. The sheets were entangled with his body and as I walked closer I could see how much the man was sweating. I watched helplessly as the man cried and screamed in agony. Was this a night-terror? Was the man injured? I silently took a step closer and this time couldn't stiffle the gasp. I knew him.

Not personally but I had seen his pictures in the research I did on my father.

Dante King.

My third eldest brother.

Who looked to be in immense pain.

I had no idea how to help. So, I turned around going to look for my father or one of the brothers or someone when suddenly I was grabbed from behind.

In a blink I was falling and wind was knocked out of me as I landed on the floor. My back would be bruised.

Before I could even utter a word, hands clasped on my throat, squeezing hard as a heavy, stifling weight struck me to the ground. I chocked helplessly, struggling and trying to fight the arms as I looked up with a rapidly fading vision in the faraway blue gaze of my brother.

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

14.9K 349 17
Aurelia is a powerful young girl on the outside who owns her own empire. She's smart and beautiful, and all people are afraid of her but on the insid...
Amara Af -Piranesi-

Teenage Fiktion

65.5K 1.4K 30
"What's she called?" He asks. "Amara... Amara Contessa Andolini" I tell them. "An Italian name, for la mia principessa mafiosa.". ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~...
161K 3.6K 37
Amara Coleman is not your average seventeen-year-old girl. She gets abused by her own father and watches the death of her mother before her very eyes...
26.9K 644 23
Alessia is a 14 year old girl, her whole life she has been protecting her little brother, but one day their mother gets killed and they have to live...