Quilts, Tacos & Tattoos

By DianeBleck

The sweetest love story set in the Heart of Texas! Cricket, a senior in high school, Candy, her mother, and B... More

Candy & Her Baby
Marmie & Me
And So It Is
The Red Boots
Stitch N' Greet
Red, White & Hot
Hope in a Phone Call
Dip N' Dance
Coffee Anyone?
Bring on the Fireworks
Summer Break
Can't Walk, Can't Run
Time Off
The Dead Fly Club
Alone and Broke
The Bluebonnet Cafe
What a Man!
The Drive-In
Quilt Addiction
Secret Mission
Girl Time with Aunt Julia
Night of Firsts
Pa Walker on Watch
A Window in Time
Swimming into Senior Year
Disengage Autopilot
Early to Rise
Nothing Unusual
Finding Home
Trying on Trouble
Trick or Treat
Gobble, Gobble
Cowbell Jingle
Merry Mary
The Berry Happy Birthday
The Big Build Up
The Quilt Show
The Chicks
The Call
The Answer
The Quiet Truth
Tacos, Tacos, No Burritos
A Fresh Start
The First Letter

Shaking Up

2.1K 139 1
By DianeBleck

When I woke up in the spare bedroom at Nana and Pa's house, it was dark outside. I was still exhausted. I had no idea what time it was.

Mom was sitting beside me and smoothed the hair from my face and said, "Shhh . . . It's okay. Close your eyes. I'm sure they hurt."

"They're killing me. I feel so dehydrated, like a slug dried with salt."

"Drink some water." Mom's strong arms lifted me up and tilted the glass to my mouth. I drank it all without opening my eyes. She laid me back down and got up. I felt the light shine across my face as the door opened and Mom walked out.

"She woke up for a minute. I got her to drink some water. Her eyes are so swollen. Should we try to get her to eat?"

I heard Nana say, "I will make you both some soup."

A little later, Nana sat a tray on the bed with bowls of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich cut in half with two glasses of milk. She sat on the twin bed across from us. Mom and Pa came into the room, each carrying a bowl of soup in their hands.

I covered my face and could barely talk.

"Eat your soup," Mom replied. I moved my hands to my cheek and looked at her equally tired face. "Yes Ma'am."

I pulled my soup bowl close and blew on it. "Can we sleep here tonight, Mom?"

"You bet, Kiddo," she said with a slight chuckle. "We can sleep here all week if you want."

The soup felt so good going down. I had my favorite quilt over my legs, held the soup close to me and sipped one spoonful after the other.

"Do you want some more?" Nana asked when I had finished. I nodded.

I had one more bowl of soup and then moved out to the sofa. Pa sat beside me. I leaned over and rested against his shoulder, and he wrapped his arm around me.

"It's going to be fine," he said.

"How do you know that?"

He took a long breath in. "Cause your Pa will always be here to take care of you."

I closed my eyes and fell fast asleep next to Pa.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77 0 27
It's your typical love story, except it's not. She fell in love hard and fast, he fell in love too fast. My best friend, my partner in crime, my comp...
63.8K 5.9K 42
At just 17, Blair and Cody were high school sweethearts with big dreams. They were both headed to university on athletic scholarships when a positive...
650K 12.6K 46
- F I U F A M I L Y S E R I E S - Book 1 - can be read as stand alone What do you get when you mix two pressured college students, NFL drafts, love c...
4.2K 313 30
Harper Gregory just wants to graduate and get out of the picture-perfect suburb of Westbrook, Minnesota. She's tired of pretending to be the perfect...