The Greatest (TLOK)

By JaneMayLily

Everyone dreams of being the greatest at something. May it be the greatest bender, the greatest warrior or ev... More

Important stuff (I swear)
~Playlist~
OC and extra info
Face Claim
OC Clothing ideas book 1
1) The Avatar (Book 1)
2) I told you so
3) The get together
4) If I was a rich girl
5) Brothers
6) Skyfall
8) Stirring the tea
9) The sacrifice
10) Attack
11) Auto Pilot
12) A last good bye
End of Book 1
OC and extra info (updated)
OC clothing ideas book 2
13) Oh my spirits (book 2)
14) A mechanic or a sorcerer
15) Tension is in the air...
16)...everywhere I look around
17) The big bang
18) Lights, Camera, Action
19) Smooth criminal
20) A prison and A premier
21) Bright and deadly
22) Bad Sophie
23) A giant women
End of book 2
OC and extra info (updated)
OC clothing ideas book 3
24) A Sneeze and a blast (book 3)
25) Kai 2.0
26) We are family
27) Treason
28) Kuvira
29) I'm glad
30) Life saver
31) Wait and see
32) Prison Blues
33) Always
34) Almost dying=Motivation
35) The first kill
End of book 3
OC and extra info (updated)
OC clothing ideas book 4
36) See you again (book 4)
37) Stabbing the tension
38) Pulling a 'Kuvira'
39) Unpleasant Pleasantries
40) Fever dreams
41) Put a ring on it
42) Coward

7) Kai

373 13 1
By JaneMayLily

Thank you for a 100 reads!!

Sophie POV

Asami and I were playing with Pabu while the boys were packing all our things.

We were kicked out of the arena after last night because they were shutting it down but Asami had offered that we could stay with her.

It was a really generous offer but I didn't really know how I felt about it.

I mean yeah living in a mansion is cool and all but also a really, really big change from living in a attic or on the streets or in a really small space.

Don't get me wrong through, I'm ready for that indoor pool.

We carry on chatting and she tells me all the things she wants us to do together.

I was surprised that she wanted to spend time with me.
I mean compared to her I was a little kid but I wasn't complaining.

She was one of the kindest and coolest people I knew.

Which she just proved again today by offering us to stay at her house.

I hear Korra's  voice below us and stick my head out by the ladder.

"Hey Korra."I greet and start climbing down the ladder.

"Oh, hey, Korra.I was hoping you'd stop by."Asami says and climbs after me.

"I was just leaving."Korra replies, looking at Asami.

"So I guess I'll see you guys around...sometime."she says turning to walk out.

"Why not tomorrow?I'd love to have you come visit the estate."Asami offers

"I have some....avatar stuff to do."Korra says shrugging.

"Oh come on,Korra.It'll be fine."I say, trying to sound persuasive.

"Yeah come on, Korra.We all deserve a little rest and relaxation after all this craziness.We could swim in Asami's pool.It'll be fun"Bolin says in a high pitch voice, trying to make it sound like how Pabu would.

Korra laughs but nods,"All right, Pabu."

"Great, we'll see you tomorrow."Asami says and we all wave goodbye to Korra.

The rest of the day was quite busy with all the moving and packing.

Then there was also that really awkward situation with Asami's farther, Mr Sato, my boss.
Apparently he didn't know we were moving in with them.
That was a conversation I wish I never had to be part of.

The first night by the estate was weird.I had a room to myself which was great,really, but quite unusual for me as I have always stayed together with my brothers.

I mean they are only a few rooms away from me but it still feels so....far.

After at least a hour of being unable to fall asleep I finally did but what surprised me is that the next morning when I woke up, my brothers were next to me, sleeping soundly.

I stood up making sure not to wake them up and got ready.

I then scavenged for food and worked on a few designs and ideas for future industries.

The requirements were a bit odd.I had to design small electric circuits that could let out strong electrical pulses that could be controlled and let out on command by a machine.

Kai said these would be used for a new gadget that future industries wanted to develop but he wasn't sure what exactly it was either.

I had designed something like this already years ago as a science project.The designs were stolen from me soon after and I just never had any interest in developing them again, well, until now.

I had crossed Mr Sato while I was looking for the kitchen.

He said thst he was on his way out to the police station and that he wanted to have a meeting with me later and that he'll have some call me.

Asami and my brothers joint me just as I finished the second design and had their breakfast.

We all did our own thing till they decided that it was time to take a swim.

I quickly went to my room and dug through my unpacked box's till I found something suitable too wear.

I quickly got changed and jumped straight into the pool and allowed myself to relax into the warm water.

This is the life.

I had a wonderful time till my brothers decided to be, well my brothers, and ruin my peaceful state

"Earthbending bomb!"Bolin shouts and jumps from the fountain into the water, creating a wave that pushed me under.

"How dare you!"I shout and tackle him under the water.

We both dive back up and I see Korra standing at the edge of the pool.

"Avatar Korra has arrived."the butler says solemnly.

"Hey Korra, I'm glad you made it."I greet just as Bolin pushes my head underwater.

I quickly come back to the surface and see Bolin floating just the way I did before he attempted to drown me.

"Looks like you guys settled right in."Korra says and and takes a seat on one of the chairs.

"I guess so."I say just as I slightly jump out of the water next to Bolin, and ram my elbow into his stomach, knocking the air out of him and making him go under.

Mako looks over at us and sighs, "Pretty much."

I feel someone grab my foot and pull me underwater with them.

I push my leg towards me and then back down, making contact with Bolin's face.

He lets go of me and I quickly swim back to the surface.

Bolin comes up besides me gasping for air.

I smile in victory and he swims to the edge of the pool and gets out.

He demonstrates to Korra how the butler's will do anything you ask for and then jumps straight back into the pool.

Both him and Mako then charge at me, making me shriek.

I try to swim away but they both grab my feet and pull me back.

I splash water in defence but they just splash it back.

Bolin jumps on top of Mako and pushes him underwater making me laugh.

But then I feel someone grab me and pull me under the water with them.

Mako uses my head to push himself out of the water and dunk Bolin's head under water in revenge.

I swim back to the surface and let out a loud laugh.

From a outsiders point of view it may look like we are trying to drown each other, which we are, but that's besides the point.

This is just how we show our love towards each other.

Through insults and slight abuse.

"So, what do you have planned for us today?Let me guess, shopping, makeovers..."Korra says,now sitting at the edge of the pool.

"Ooh, ooh, I vote makeovers."Bolin shouts sticking his hand up to vote.

"Yeah I agree, you desperately need one."I smirk and Mako and I dunk him underwater.

We all get out of the pool and change.

Asami takes us to what I know is the test track.

We watch the drivers race and I swoon when they drive past.

The engine sounds perfect.

"This is where future industries test drives their sato-mobiles.Ever been behind the wheel?"Asami asks Korra.

"The only thing I know how to drive is a polar bear-dog."Korra replies.

"You want me to take you two for a spin?"Asami asks looking at Korra and me.

"Let's do it."Korra says and I nod eagerly.

They get up but Mako grabs my shoulder,"Not you.It's way to dangerous."he says giving me the look.

"So I can build these things but can't race in them?"I ask annoyed.

"Exactly"he says and Bolin nods in agreement.

"Not fair"I pout and cross my arms turning away from them

We watch as Korra and Asami race one of the drivers.

"Whooo!Go guys!"I cheer as Asami tricks her opponent and over takes him.

Wow she's a good driver.

They win the race making me cheer.

They arrive shortly afterwards and we make our way back to the estate.

Korra goes to the bathroom but I decide to walk back to my room.

"Miss Sophie!Miss Sophie!"
someone shouts after me, making me stop.

"Yes, Alfred?"I ask Alfred, one of the butlers.

"Mr Sato asks to see you in his office."he says.

"Oh yes, of course.Can you lead the way please?"I ask with a grin.

"Of course."he says and we walk towards Mr Sato's office.

Alfred knocks two times and opens the door for me.

I thank him and walk in.

Mr Sato ends his call and directs his attention to me.

"Hallo, sir."I say and stand in front of his desk.

"Hallo, Sophie.This will be very quick as I need to send you to the office as soon as possible."

"Oh okay, I will go right after this."I answer in agreement.

"Wonderful! We finally have enough time to get started with the plans.With Cabbage Corp under investigation there is no one to stand in our way.All we need is your help and we can strike by the end of the week."he says, putting his intertwined fingers on the table.

I give him a smile and nod"I'll get started immediately.They won't know what hit 'em."I joke.

Future industries has been waiting for a opportunity like this for ages.

With cabbage corp gone, our biggest competitor, people are going to invest more into future industries.

"I'll go to the office immediately."I say and nod my head.

"You know what, it's fine.You can go tomorrow morning, Kai will be there too."he says and picks up his phone again.

"Thank you sir,I'll go to the office bright and early."I say and turn towards the door.

I turn the knob and push it open.

I walk to the grand stairs and watch as Korra runs out.

She turns around and says something to the group.

I can see her look past them and at me.

Her eyes narrow slightly as if she's confused and angry before she runs out of the door.

I walk down the stairs and meet Asami and my brothers.

"What happened to her?"I ask.

"Some air temple responsibility's."Bolin shrugs.

I spend the rest of the day working on anything I could get my hands on and go to the office early the next morning.

"Hey, Sophie.Long time no see."Kai says and walks into my office.

"Could've been longer if you asked me."I say without looking up from my file.

"Cold, Sophie, ice cold."he says and touches his heart.

"Get out.I have important things to-do."I say putting emphasis on the 'I' part.

"Fine I'll go.See you later, shortcake."he says and walks out.

Suddenly something Klicks, it feels like all the air is knocked out of me and my eyes go wide in realisation.

The 'shortcake', two nights ago, on the arena roof, that was Kai.

The Kai that just walked into my office like nothing happened was the same person who tried to kidnap me two nights ago.

I can feel my heart beat super fast and my breathing quicken in panick.

I run to the bathroom and splash water onto my face.

Calm down, Sophie.I bet there is a logical explanation to this.

Kai would never do it without good reasoning.Maybe he had no other choice.

I can't go and ask him, can I?And all I have as proof is a stupid nickname.

I can't go to the police with just that, they'll laugh at me.

I walk out of the bathroom and back to my office.

If Kai was involved with the equalists, who else was, that I didn't know of.

As I walk closer to my office,I start to hear arguing inside.

What in the engine?

I quicken my strides but stop at the sight that greets me when I walk in.

Everyone was in my office and I mean everyone.

Councilman Tenzin, Chief Beifong, Korra, Mako, Asami and Bolin.

"Uhh hi, Can I help you guys?"I say from the door way.

"I can't believe you, Korra!"Mako shouts at Korra giving her a glare.

"Take a seat, kid."Beifong says and I sit in my chair opposite too them.

"We have suspicions that future industries has ties with the equalists and that.."Council man Tenzin says and sighs,"you might be involved with them too."

"Say what now?" I ask and look at everyone.

"I overheard you talking with Hiroshi.How he needed your help to strike and that they won't even know what hit 'em."Korra quotes, crossing her arms.

"Oh my word.Yes I said that but not in the way you think I did.I meant that because cabbage corp is out of the game and we are now at a big advantage.They were our biggest competition, Korra. That's business and besides it's ..."I'm about to blurt out the Kai thing when I see him walk past my door smirking.

"Besides what Sophie?"Asami asks.

I keep looking at the door, past Beifong.

I can't tell them.He'll know and our advantage would be gone.

"Besides I do the work I am assigned.The use for it is beyond me and now if you'll excuse, I have work to do."I say and quickly stand up.

Beifong looks past her shoulder subtly at the door but nods.

"We'll call you if we have anymore questions."she says and turns to the group.

"Yes, call me whenever you want but I...I have things to do."I say and rush out.

This behaviour was so unlike me and I hope they realised something's off.

I spend the rest of the day looking through my stuff and seeing if I had designed anything suspicious that could've helped the equalist.

I found so, so many things.

The gloves, the electro sticks, the masks, the motor cycles.

I had designed everything.

And I didn't even notice.

I guess the eye is blind to
something it doesn't see as possible.

I walked out of the office and down to the factory below it, that I knew the police and Korra were investigating.

I bump shoulders with a man who stuffs a piece of paper in my hand.

I open and read it.

It was addressed to the avatar and how if she wants to find out about the truth she should find them under the Silk Road bridge at midnight.

I walk past Mako and tell him that I'll be a bit late tonight but a Sato-Mobile was going to take me home.

He nods and walk off with Asami.

"Korra!"I shout and wave to get her attention.

"If you want to end our friendship too, go for it."she says patting Naga.

I shake my head and grab onto her hand with the hand that helt the piece of paper.

"What? No. I just want to tell you that I understand.You're just doing your job as the avatar but I want you to know one thing, the truth..always finds a way."I say and slip the paper into her hand.

She wraps her hand around it and nods in understanding.

"Sophie!"I hear Kai call me over.

I acted normal with him today but I have a feeling that's he's suspecting something.

I tried to find more evidence against him but there was absolutely nothing.

I squeeze her hand one last time and walk over to Kai.

"We need to visit one last stop before you can go home."Kai says and opens the car door for me.

I look over my shoulder and see Beifong, Korra and Tenzin looking my way.

"Why?"I ask unsurely.

"You'll see."he say and puts a hand on my back, pushing me slightly.

I get into the car and we drive for about 20 minutes towards the mountains and stop at a big garage door.

We drive inside and I get out.

"What is this, Kai?"I ask feeling a shiver run through me.

"This is everything we've been working for."he says and suddenly the lights go on.

I gasp when I see the big equalist poster hanging from the roof.

'Korra was right.Future industries is working for Amon.'I think, still grasping onto the fact that I have been working for the equalists without even knowing.

"This wouldn't have been possible without you, Sophie."I hear Mr Sato say as he walks out of one of the side doors.

I look at the machines on the side of the hall and shake my head.

"I never designed those."I look at Kai who was still standing slightly behind me.

"We couldn't ask you to design them that would have been way to obvious, you weren't ready yet.You designed every piece just separately."he explains honestly.

"No, you have other mechanics,
who are just as good as me."I deny.

"Well thats a lie, Sophie and you know that."Kai says, putting a now gloves hand on my shoulder.

"Join us, Sophie.Rise above the benders with us."

I take a few seconds to think and then smirk.

"You should've just asked me from the beginning."I say and smirk at Kai.

He looks suspicious but then gives in and puts a arm around my shoulder.

I had to hold in a shudder of disgust but nodded at Mr Sato.

"If already brought you this far, might as well help you win.Let's make the world equal."I say and take the glove Kai handed to me.

Mr Sato smirked and let out a laugh.

"Let's make the world equal."Kai agrees pulling me closer.

He led me to where Mr Sato came from and gave me an equalist bodysuit.

I went to the bathroom nad changed out of my clothes and stuffed it all into my backpack that I took with from the car.

I feel the guilt start eating me alive, It felt like I was betraying my family even through I'm actually just pretending.

I took a deep breath and reminded myself it was either act like joining them or get electrocuted and join them by force.

I tied my hair into a ponytail and walked out.

Kai was leaning against the wall opposite the bathroom and whistled when I walked out.

"Looking good, hotshot."he says, pushing himself off the wall.

"Wish I could say the same for you.So what are we gonna do?" I say and stand in front of him.

He starts walking down the hall and opens one of the doors.

I walk in and gasp for like the thousands time tonight.
In there was every design that I had ever thrown away, lost or sent into the archives.

"How?"I ask.

"The equalists have had a eye on you for a very, very long time."he says and walks in after me.

I skim through the different projects and see ones dated as far back as 6 years ago, one of the first proper engines I had designed.

"This is some impressive stalking to say the least."I sit down behind the desk that stood in the middle of the room and look at him.

"Thank you but I can't take all the credit.Mr Sato made sure that every piece of paper you ever touched was analyzed and filed if it seemed important."he explains making my eyebrows shoot up.

"So all this time you spent with me, it was basically a just to make sure they wouldn't miss something."I ask.

"At the beginning but after a bit it transformed into something more."he says shrugging his shoulders.

There was a beat of silence before we pulled out a small bag of metal balls and put them onto my desk, with a tool case he pulled out from under my desk.

"These are a few of the bombs that were used at the arena attack.These didn't go off and we can't figure out the problem so you're our best shot."he explains as I pull out a screwdriver.

"I'm not to experienced when working with bombs but I'll give it a try."I say an carefully crack each one open.

Kai walks out to check up on something and I use this to my advantage.

I quickly dig through my backpack and thank the spirits, I found what I was looking for.

A remote.

I quickly rewired all the bombs so that they would go off if I pressed my remote button.

I rolled a bomb under each shelf and got back to acting as if I wasn't just about o blow this whole place up.

I loud bang echoed through the hall just as I finished the last one and I quickly stood up.

Kai ran through my door and locked it behind him.

"What's that?"I ask a bit concerned.

"The stupid avatar and the police found the workshop but they're no match to us."he says with a sneer.

"Of course they're not.Let's go see them fail."I say and attempt to walk past him.

"As much as I would love to see that, no can do.Can't let you out, orders from the boss."he says and stands directly in front of the door.

I roll my eyes and turn around.

I walk along the bookshelf, carefully reading each project.

They have everything here except the designs I have in my personal file at home but everything that I had thrown out of there, was here.My whole lives work in one place and I was going to blow it up.Great.

I heard fighting and the clanging of metals for a short while but it just stopped as quickly.

"I think it's over.We can go outside now."he says and walks out.

I quickly stuff a couple of bombs into my backpack and grab the bag with the rest of the bombs.

They sight that hits me when I walk into the hall makes me want to cry.

Korra, Beifong and Tenzin were all laying on the ground lifeless.

"Load everyone into the transports and bring them to Amon."Mr Sato shouts and points at the vehicles.

I look to the group and see that the equalists put them all together in their unconscious state.

I place a few more bombs around the hall.They were close enough to destroy things but far enough to not impact any cars that have officers in them.

I pull out my note book and make a few pin points for the robots and any weaknesses it could have.

I might have helped design it but not build and building something from someone else's ideas never goes smoothly.

"Sophie, would you please join us."I hear Kai call.

I walk over to him not looking up from my note book.

"Kai, I swear if you're calling me over for something stupid, I'm gonna kick your ass."I say when I reach earshot.

I look up when I hear someone gasp.

I almost drop my note book and stop walking.

There stood my brothers, looking at me with wide eyes and open mouths.

"No, it can't be."Mako whisperers in disbelief.

I felt a pang of guilt but quickly reminded myself that I just had to do this for a little while longer.

I stuffed my notebook back into my backpack and subtly grabbed the remote.

I stood next to Kai and activated my glove.

"I'm sorry, brothers but it's time that we are all equal."I say and shrug.

"Sponsoring our team.Supporting the avatar.Helping the police.It was just a big cover.For all of you."Mako shouts angrily at Hiroshi and me.

"For Sophie it wasn't until today but for me, yes it was, and the most difficult part was watching my daughter traipse around with a firebending street rat like you!"Mr Sato shots and activities his gloves.

I felt my eye slightly tick in anger but just kept a blank look.

Mako looked at me and I could see the hurt in his eyes at my 'betrayal'.

Please forgive me when this is all over.

I gripped the remote tighter and took a step closer.

I looked at Bolin who was still trying to process all this new, life changing information.

"Dad, stop."A voice shouts making me turn around and look at a shocked Asami.

Her eyes shift too me and widen slightly.

"Sweetie...I wanted to keep you out of this for as long as I could.But now that you know the truth.Please forgive me.These people, these...benders, they took away your mother, the love of my life.They've ruined the world.But with Amon, we can fix it and build a perfect world together.We can help people like us everywhere.Join us, Asami."Mr Sato says offering her a glove.

I see Korra start to stir awake in the corner of my eye and put a gloved hand on Kai's shoulder.

"Help us make the world equal, Asami."I say and give her a small smile.

I sound like a robot, programmed to say the same thing.

Asami hesitates for a second but puts on the glove.

I grip Kai's shoulder tighter, waiting for the right moment to strike or shock him.

Get it?

"I love you, dad."Asami says and electrocutes her dad.

Badass much.

Before Kai even has the opportunity to react I electrocute him, bringing him to his knees.

Asami takes down the other equalist and turns to the group.

I kick Kai in the ribs for kidnapping me and turn to the gang.

What? Did he really think I was gonna forgive and forget the fact that he was the reason I fell through the arena roof.

He should know better.
I'm petty.

They are all standing there, looking at Asami and me in shock.

I start running towards them and hold up my remote.

My brothers nod in understanding and quickly get everyone to start running.

They know a remote means trouble.They learnt that from science project when I was 8.

I'm the last to arrive at the hole and quickly set off the bombs before I jump in.

We make our way out from under ground and onto a airship.

I look around in silence and shift my eyes away from Mako as he approaches me.

I look down waiting for him to shout at me, scold me, tell me I'm a backstabber but that never came.

Instead he pulled me into a hug and kissed the top of my head.

"I was so scared that I had lost you.What were you thinking!Dont you ever do that again."he says holding me by my shoulders

"You mean join a evil organisation? I'm not promising anything."I joke.

He rolls his eyes and let's go of my shoulders

We walks over to Asami, comforting her and I look at chief Beifong who had just finished talking to Tenzin.

I slowly walk over to her and stand at her side.

She gives me a side glance before closing her eyes.

"Take the suit off.You look stupid."she says.

I grin and say,"I know that's a lie."

She sighs and turns her head towards me, opening her eyes.

"You have a lot to explain, kid."she says expectantly.

"I know and I promise to tell you anything and everything you want."I say sincerely.

"Good.Now go away and leave me alone."she says and I nod.

"Good night, Chief."I reply and turn to leave.

I spent the rest of the trip comforting Asami and explaining everything to Korra and my brothers.

Korra was a bit cautious of me but understood my reasoning.

I mean what choice did I have in that moment.

Either I acted like joining them and wait for the perfect opportunity to strike or I refused too and they electrocute me unconscious and throw in the back of a van.

Asami was quite and didn't talk much but I didn't expect her to either.

She needed time to process this and if she needed me, I would be there for her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.8K 1.3K 63
"The moon's beautiful isn't it?" "Not as much as you." "You're getting more and more predictable day by day." +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+...
22.2K 837 54
The Noble house of Yang has been the fire Lords strong right arm for as long as anyone can remember. A house of warriors who's only purpose in life i...
109K 2.5K 22
COMPLETED! 'Aya's my angel and I'm never letting her go.' After seeing Azula strike Aang with her lightening, Aya's entire world fell into a black h...
42.8K 1.2K 25
______________________________ ______________________ Book 1; Y/n daughter of Commander Bumi and M/n a fragile noble from the fire nation who died wh...