I'll Be Your Family

By Algaldo

What if Zuko ended up in Gaoling after separating from his Uncle? What if he met Toph before any of the Gaang... More

Zuko Alone
Blind Bandit pt. 1
Blind Bandit pt. 2
Blind Bandit pt. 3
Blind Bandit pt. 4
Blind Bandit pt. 5
Similar People pt. 1
Similar People pt. 2
Similar People pt. 3
Similar People pt. 4
Similar People pt. 5
A Parent's Love
Toph Alone
Leaving Gaoling pt. 1
Leaving Gaoling pt. 2
Leaving Gaoling pt. 3
Leaving Gaoling pt. 4
Recollection pt. 1
Recollection pt. 2
Travel Stories pt. 1
Travel Stories pt. 2
Siblings pt. 1
Siblings pt. 2
Tsu Zin pt. 1
Tsu Zin pt. 2
Tsu Zin pt. 3
I'll Be Your Family
Uncle Iroh pt. 2
Metamorphosis
Their Story

Uncle Iroh pt. 1

1.5K 41 19
By Algaldo

Toph woke up early, feeling an extra warmth surround her that she wasn't used to. She opened her eyes and saw that she was still snuggled next to Sparky.

Last night, after Sparky had said he loved her, Toph can proudly say that she balled her eyes out. She hugged him and cried as he told her everything, why he was banished, how his father burned him, and the pain he felt when his mother disappeared because of him. It was painfully honest from him, and she was both grateful and saddened that he trusted her enough to tell her everything.

She had told him that he didn't need to tell her what happened to him, and she wouldn't mind waiting. He told her that he didn't want to keep secrets from his sister anymore. She balled into his shirt again after that.

She could never explain the relief and joy she felt when she heard his heartbeat keep a steady rhythm. She didn't think she could be that happy.

It was weird, her parents had always said it. They had always said they loved her. She had never felt that happy when they said it. Maybe it was the fact that she always had to worry about if that love would disappear.

She always had doubts in her mind when she heard them say it. She always had a growing fear that one day she would hear their hearts speed up and that would be it. They would have grown tired of the fake her just like they grew tired of the real one. 

But now she had Sparky and he loved her. He loved the real her. She didn't have to hide her strength from him. She didn't have to worry about acting properly. She didn't have to worry about that love disappearing. He had said it and he wasn't lying.

She just smiled and held her brother closer to her.

Hehehe. My brother. I have a brother now. I have a family now and I didn't have to lie to get it. I have a brother and he loves me. He sees me as his sister.

She stilled when she heard Sparky move next to her, waiting for him to wake up. But after a few minutes, he still hadn't.

That's weird, why hasn't he woken up? He's usually up at dawn too.

Toph stilled as she heard him groan, What?

Toph immediately got up and placed her hand on Sparky's forehead, pulling it away as it burned her.

What the hell, it's not supposed to be that hot.

She panicked and placed her hand over his chest, trying to see if his heartbeat was feeling erratic. She was terrified when she felt it slowly rising.

Fuck Sparky has a fever. What do I do? I don't know how to take care of a fever. I've never been sick before.

Toph found herself cursing her good immune system. She was pulled out of her thoughts by Sparky's raspy voice, "Water."

Water. I can get water. Sparky drinks water all the time. Maybe it'll make the fever go away.

She ran to their supplies and brought him a canteen of water. A few minutes later she saw Sparky open his eyes and look around dazed.

"Toph?", he asked when he spotted her.

Toph was relieved and slightly worried as she heard his dazed state.

"Sparky, it's me. I got you water so drink up. I need you to tell me how to cure a fever before you pass out again."

He looked at her like she was an extinct species, "I have a fever?"

Toph grit her teeth.

He is burning a hole in the ground. How does he still find a way to try and ignore his health?

"Yeah, Sparky you're sick. Now drink this water then tell me how to fix you."

Sparky looked at the water and then slowly downed it. after he was done he tossed it to the side and passed out.

"No, no, no. Wake up Sparky, you still need to tell me how to fix you!" She shook him to no avail.

Ugh, why do you do this? How are you still this stubborn when you're sick? Okay, okay, Sparky's useless right now so I got to solve this. Let's think this through. Sparky's too hot right now. That means I just need to get him to cool down.

She felt the bucket of water next to the campsite.

Should I pour water on him?       

She was about to dump the bucket on Sparky when she felt someone approaching the campsite. She quickly ditched the water and put Sparky in a rock tent to protect him. Hearing the person stop behind a rock she took her aim and sent them flying through the air. She got on top of the rock to get a better view of them.

She felt them rubbing their back, "Ouch, my tailbone."

.........

Iroh liked to think of himself as a wise man. He had lived through his life already. He had seen war and destruction. He had been arrogant and prideful, a trait he sees in his niece and brother far too often these days.

That all changed with the death of his son, Lu Ten. The light of his life suddenly blinked out and he was to blame. He wandered for years until he found purpose. But by the time he did it was too late, his only nephew had lost his childhood to his brother, and when Zuko begged his father for mercy, Iroh had failed his son a second time.

Now he was searching for his nephew, looking for traces of the avatar as he knew Zuko would still attempt to do. When he had left he had been in despair, despair he had mistaken for confusion. Iroh let him have his space, even though he nearly had a heart attack when he woke up the next morning and still had the majority of the rations.

He sighed, I wish he would think things through more. I am going to die of a heart attack at this rate.

He continued walking until he smelled a campfire. Campfire meant people. People meant stories. Stories meant tea.

I wonder if they'll like Jasmine?

He was sitting behind a rock, preparing his tea set so he could properly greet these fine strangers when he was launched into the air.

"Ouch, my tailbone."

That hurt. At least the tea is safe.

He was trying to rub his bruised tailbone when he heard a voice on top of the rock, "Who are you and what do you want?"

He looked up and saw a young earthbender, a girl probably no older than twelve that was ready to attack him. He couldn't help but look at her bruised hands, dried blood still around her knuckles showing recent damage.

He sighed, She's so young. She should not be this wary of a simple old man. She should not have to fight this hard.

He lamented the fact that the little girl in front of him seemed to have grown up well beyond her years. The war had most likely forced her to. Like it did his nephew like it did his son.

Iroh stood up and bowed, "My name is Iroh."

.......

Toph was suspicious.

She couldn't say she trusted the old man but when he said he simply wanted to rest and share a cup of tea with her he wasn't lying. She decided to keep Sparky hidden in the tent, for now, she wouldn't let anyone she didn't trust near him.

I just got a brother, I'm not gonna let him get hurt by a stranger when he's sick.

She sat down and waited for Iroh to set up the tea, when he poured it she clenched her teeth a little, I could've done that myself.

Iroh watched as the little girl clenched her jaw and was reminded of his nephew. He looked around the camp and saw supplies and a single tent of earth that must be her sleeping quarters.

She must be very independent as well.

"Here is your tea.", he handed her the cup.

Toph took the cup and sniffed it, deciding to take a sip before putting the rest down so she could give it to Sparky later.

Iroh raised an eyebrow, Did she not like it? I thought I had mastered the art of tea, but it seems I have a ways to go.

He put his cup down, "You seem a little too young to be traveling alone."

Toph scoffed, "You seem a little too old don't you think."

Iroh laughed, "Perhaps I am."

Toph felt a little of the tension melt away, but she still didn't move her feet from the ground.

It's not just me, I have to protect Sparky in case anything happens.

Iroh noticed how tense the young girl was and sighed, "Please miss. I mean you no harm. If the cup of tea is not to your liking, I would be happy to try another one."

Toph relaxed a little, noticing the old man was telling the truth, "It's not you old man. I can tell you don't want to hurt me. I'm just a little nervous right now."

Iroh tilted his head, "And what would make such a strong Earthbender like yourself nervous."

Toph was a little surprised at the honesty of his statement. The last person that had been able to tell her strength right away was Sparky.

I mean, that worked out really well didn't it? Maybe this old guy will be like Sparky too.

She decided to tell him, "My brother has a fever right now. I'm not used to taking care of others so I don't know what to do. He's sleeping but when he wakes up he's dazed and only asks for water before fainting again. I was gonna save your tea so he could drink some since it's pretty good."

Iroh looked at the young girl in a new light, Ah. She is just being protective. It's good that she loves her brother enough to take care of him. If Zuko had someone like that growing up maybe things would have turned out differently.

He spoke softly, "If you wish to help your brother with a fever then Jasmine simply won't do. I'll make a new pot of Ginseng tea for you so you can give it to him."

He busied himself with making tea as Toph focused on him, He was calming and seemed to be truthful. And since he knows what tea to use for a fever maybe he knows what else to do for one.

Toph tilted her head back to the rock tent, focusing on Sparky's body.

He's still breathing heavily. I don't know how to make that stop, but I need to figure it out.

She looked back at the old man still pouring tea, "Do you mean it?"

Iroh was a little surprised to hear the young lady speak, "Hmmm?'

"Do you mean it when you say that you mean us no harm? If I... If I take you to my brother could you help him?"

Toph was being risky, she now knew that Sparky's face was probably as well known as hers. Maybe even more so. If the old man recognizes him he might react like the crowd at Tsu Zin did.

If his body shows even the slightest bit of a lie I won't let him see him.

Iroh just looked at the young girl fondly and promised, "Of course, I will help him. Sharing tea with fascinating strangers is the best part of life after all."

Toph relaxed, "Okay, he's in that earth tent. I'm gonna lower it so just help him as best you can. Please."

Iroh watched as the young girl lowered the earth tent, fascinated by her level of control.

I was not expecting to meet such a talented Earthbender in my travels.

He turned to look at the lying patient and his heart almost stopped,

"Nephew?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79.5K 2.7K 65
What would happen if Aang and Iroh had given Zuko and Katara just a few minutes more in the Crystal Cave? Story Contains Mature Content not suitable...
93.4K 2.2K 27
(Zuko x oc) The Avatar and Zuko are strong but Aang must learn how to strengthen his fire bending. Kai is reluctant at first but she'll soon realize...
21.2K 880 5
What if Zuko hadn't spent so long searching for the avatar? What if he had settled down and helped Iroh open a tea shop? What if the moment he stoppe...